Author Topic: Rhythm Gaming! Let's dance and groove!  (Read 95173 times)

jester147

• Touhou, Rhythm Game, JRPG fan
Rhythm Gaming! Let's dance and groove!
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
I found a thread for rhythm games, but it's dead, so I decided to make a new one.

How many people here play rhythm games? I bet there would be lots of people.

Here in Indonesia, there's lots of rhythm games to play. The most popular one here is Pump It Up. IIRC it's also the most updated than any other rhythm game arcades.

There's also maimai, made by Sega. It's my favorite rhythm game as of now. maimai is a rhythm game where you press on buttons on what can be said as front-loader washing machine. There's also sliding, and you can play entirely by touchscreen.

Other things include: Technika, Danz Base, Rhythmvaders (or Groove Coaster), and Taiko no Tatsujin.

Sadly there's no new Bemani installments in Indonesia, except jubeat, if the informations are correct. There are only old installments from the Bemani franchise. DDR is dead here, completely replaced by PIU. There's no pop'n'music, and IIDX is extremely rare.

Regarding that, how does export works anyway? I wish we can have nice things, not just specific country only :(. maimai Orange Plus is already released, yet here it's still Green Plus, but there are some arcades that are already Orange, but their song list isn't complete. Also I would like to try Sound Voltex too.

What about you? What rhythm games do you like?

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
Re: Rhythm Gaming! Let's dance and groove!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »
Maimai in Indonesia? Where?

My favorite rhythm game is Rhythmvaders. I also play maimai and Pump it Up, but I can't play Pump well because I have Patchouli level of stamina.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »
I'm getting better at IIDX and Pop'n but still kinda beginner-ish levels (I can only do up to level 8s in IIDX and 33s in Pop'n). In fact I can name so many rhythm games I've played and am interested in, like Jubeat, Reflec Beat, etc, as well as some decently good rhythm games like Dynamix, Deemo, and Tone Sphere.

However, my "main" games atm are Sound Voltex (halfway through clearing all the 15s in SDVX II), ITG2/DDR (Mostly ITG2 because DDR never gets updated here, stuck in Shittynova 2), and stepmania (hand in hand with ITG2 as I make files for ITG2 customs through Stepmania).

I guess I should mention Project Diva since that's also a rhythm game that can be played here, but I've already got Excellents on every song so I don't have much else to do except Perfect everything which I don't want to go out of my way to do.

I used to play a lot of Technika 3 when the service was still alive. I'm still able to play it at arcades through "special means" (not allowed to talk about the service due to recent happenings), but I kinda lost my drive for the game now that I play Sound Voltex at my friend's house (again, can't say how for the same reason as Technika 3, on top of the rules in this board). I highly recommend Sound Voltex for people in this board especially considering the amount of Touhou arranges that are in it. And it's not even just the usual nico nico douga stuff, but it also has really good arranges like some FELT and Kishida Kyoudan songs in it, as well as completely new Touhou arrange originals specifically made for the game that you can't really hear anywhere else.

I also want to play Beatstream but there's no way for me to play it here atm. Maybe sometime next year I can :V.

Oh, and Rock Band 4 is announced so I can get back into this game...if I had a next gen console ;_;

jester147

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:14:57 PM »
Maimai in Indonesia? Where?

Most places, mine is in Supermall Karawaci. Expect any Amazone and FunWorld to have one too. Timezone in Cibubur and Depok are already Orange, when are the others will be Orange? ;-;. There's also some outside Jakarta too, Medan, Manado, and so on.

I highly recommend Sound Voltex for people in this board especially considering the amount of Touhou arranges that are in it. And it's not even just the usual nico nico douga stuff, but it also has really good arranges like some FELT and Kishida Kyoudan songs in it, as well as completely new Touhou arrange originals specifically made for the game that you can't really hear anywhere else.

And that is the reason why I want SDVX to be brought to Indonesia. I want to play the Touhou arranges. But now most Japanese rhythm games will have at least one Touhou and Vocaloid songs, most likely Senbonzakura and Bad Apple. For Touhou, in maimai there's Buta-Otome songs, in Rhythmvaders, there's many awesome songs, I think RV has the best Touhou arranges than any rhythm game. Taiko no Tatsujin has Demetori arrange of Necrofantasia and Gensou Mangekyou Opening.

Really wish the arcades in Indonesia are well updated tho. Not to mention the maintenance, which is far from good, except PIU and possibly Technika.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:17:18 AM by jester147 »

Tsuken Yasashi

• Student of War
  • Ready to start fightin' for real?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 03:05:50 PM »
Thinking about breaking out the DDR Pad so I could practice Touhou songs on Stepmania.  Now that I know that the state Anime Convention I go to features DDR, I feel motivated to start getting back to the exercising for it owo;;

Between Two Dimensions - Arc One Complete

"War is a grave affair of state; it is a place of life and death, a road to survival and extinction.  A matter to be pondered carefully..."  -Sun Tzu's Art of War

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 03:40:36 PM »
Oh man, I need to get back to DDRing...So many 10s I still havent beaten yet that I want to eventually, plus by now Im sure my stamina is shot since I only ever play at cons nowadays.  (Though I DID manage some decently tough sets at MAGFest even at like 1-2am, so maybe not.)
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 06:49:15 AM »
Rhythm Game thread! :]

I remember how we used to have a rhythm game therad years ago when I was still really into jubeat :v

My fav quickly became SDVX when it came out in Hong Kong, I got to the point where I'm clearing lv16s, and AAA-ing many lv15s (most notably hard stuff like Quietus Ray and 金縛りの逢を)
But then I have to study in US so no sdvx. Welp. So I main iidx now. (Thanks R1s)

Started normal clearing lv11s on iidx a few months ago and hard clearing the easy ones. At 8th dan right now, just tried 9th dan and reached halfway into Sampling Paradise. I can't freaking do Holic and it's killing me down to 30% into the 2nd song which sucks. Anyways, I can't handle the note density in Mamonis anyways so even if I went in at a higher % than like 40 I don't think I could do it. Back to practicing I guess.
I've also neglected practicing random at all, and I heard people saying it's kinda important to do. Why is that?

Also, for people who don't follow SDVX, they had a DC song contest last year, which I think was pretty cool since those songs are new and gets less love. (like, the EoSD one just brought us more UNOwen remixes than we ever needed...) The songs are all released and Mist in Hell is my favourite out of the bunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkDewAnnw4g
Mist Lake was a surprisingly popular remix choice in the contest, having like 3 remixes or something.
I'm disappointed Stage 5 theme got no love :< But there's a vocal Reverse Ideology which was pretty cool I guess.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »
Also, for people who don't follow SDVX, they had a DC song contest last year, which I think was pretty cool since those songs are new and gets less love. (like, the EoSD one just brought us more UNOwen remixes than we ever needed...) The songs are all released and Mist in Hell is my favourite out of the bunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkDewAnnw4g
Mist Lake was a surprisingly popular remix choice in the contest, having like 3 remixes or something.
I'm disappointed Stage 5 theme got no love :< But there's a vocal Reverse Ideology which was pretty cool I guess.

My favourite from those contests are still 柳の下のデュラハン hard chaos mix, Werewolf Howls and Little princess has no identity.

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 12:10:17 AM »
4th KAC (Konami Arcade Championship) Re-SDVX Finals to be held 11:30am Japan time today
It will be streamed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c0ob4p4LXg

The song that will decide who's the champion will be Everlasting Message/ぺのれり, the song that was deemed the best among all entries for the 4th KAC song contest. As usual, this will be the song's debut and the finalists have to sight-read it.

Seeing how awesome ぺのれり's previous songs are (For example, this) , really looking forward to this song and its inevitably ridiculously difficult lv16 chart :V

For those who didn't know, 4th KAC was held on Feb. 14th but they screwed up on SDVX's finals. For Ultraplayers popped out when the new song should've been played and they couldn't fix it. Konmai pls
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:14:59 AM by Thaws »

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 12:37:22 AM »
Knowing Camellia (ぺのれり), he makes songs of ANY genre, so it's really hard how this song will end up, unlike cosMo who tends to go for really orchestral prog stuff which is really damn awesome and always fitting to be that "final boss song". I kinda still hope ForUltraPlayers remain as the hardest song in the game for this reason, but I'm curious how Camellia's song will be. I mean, you see Thaws' example, then you find out that he also did this song, which is completely different from Scarlet Pinwheel :V Basically, Camellia is pretty unpredictable with the type of music he generally does, even though quite a few of them are dubstep or electro of some sort.

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 12:45:01 AM »
Knowing Camellia (ぺのれり), he makes songs of ANY genre, so it's really hard how this song will end up, unlike cosMo who tends to go for really orchestral prog stuff which is really damn awesome and always fitting to be that "final boss song". I kinda still hope ForUltraPlayers remain as the hardest song in the game for this reason, but I'm curious how Camellia's song will be. I mean, you see Thaws' example, then you find out that he also did this song, which is completely different from Scarlet Pinwheel :V Basically, Camellia is pretty unpredictable with the type of music he generally does, even though quite a few of them are dubstep or electro of some sort.

Penoreri is Camellia? source?  ???

Ultraplayers will probably get a Gravity chart or whatever SDVX VI will be called someday :V  Which is perfectly fine, I mean Max Burning got a lv16 infinite chart too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:52:10 AM by Thaws »

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 12:55:07 AM »
Penoreri is Camellia? source?  ???

Ultraplayers will probably get a Gravity chart or whatever SDVX VI will be called someday :V  Which is perfectly fine, I mean Max Burning got a lv16 infinite chart too.

Oh, disregard it all, I can't read moonspeak so I got it mixed up with かめりあ (I just counted the characters)

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 01:18:43 AM »
Oh, disregard it all, I can't read moonspeak so I got it mixed up with かめりあ (I just counted the characters)

Oh :v From what I gathered Penoreri just seemed to be a lesser-known vocaloid P, so when you mentioned that I thought this was a P*Light HachioujiP thing where this was camellia hiding behind an alias all along and hiding it well :v

Penoreri only has 3 songs on SDVX right now, first two being GUMI songs that also had similar style as Scarlet Pinheel, so it was quite surprising when pinheel turned out to be instrumental.

btw, I really liked how we have a dark horse winner for this contest since last one was pretty much the really popular people (Camellia and CosmoP, though cosmo was a surprise in the sense that no one really expected him to do something for Floor). I don't mean popular people shouldn't get to win but I've really liked Penoreri's work since his SDVX debut so it's nice to see him getting the attention he deserves. :V

Edit: It's over
Everlasting Message is a godly song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c0ob4p4LXg&t=1375
It was also so hard that both top ranker finalists failed to clear it on sight-read... wow. (and they had 9.4mil score too! the gauge is very heavy.)
Etsuya manages to win the champion for the second time in a row.

The champion was then made to do an extra mission: Play the new song KAC 2012 Medley (GRAV lv16)
He has one chance to clear it and if he does it'll be unlocked for everyone, otherwise it'll never be available.
He did it on sight-read with a score of 9.88mil
This really shows how hard Everlasting is lol.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:50:53 AM by Thaws »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 10:27:19 AM »
Wow, that's... that must have been extremely stressful. Just off a failed song that won him the championship, he has one shot to go down in history.

Anyway, I used to be extremely into osu! back in 2008-10, to the point where I was in the top 300. Granted, this was before the influx of most of the features and players nowadays (and more importantly, before tablet play was a thing), but it was awesome while it lasted. Had to stop or get carpal tunnel, so there was that.

I'm highly tempted to import IA/VT Colorful when it (finally) comes out, but it hinges on whether or not it's a possibility we'll get an English release.

It really sucks that Pentavision isn't really a thing anymore.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »
Anyway, I used to be extremely into osu! back in 2008-10, to the point where I was in the top 300. Granted, this was before the influx of most of the features and players nowadays (and more importantly, before tablet play was a thing), but it was awesome while it lasted. Had to stop or get carpal tunnel, so there was that.

I'm with you there. I was actually number 1 for about a year in 2008-2009. Now it's ridiculously hard for me to keep up with current mapping styles.

In other news, I beat my first 13 on ITG a couple weeks back. It was pretty hype. I don't have stamina for 13's however, so I had to spend about 45 minutes recuperating.

jester147

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »
I'm also an osu! player, primarily osu!mania, terrible at playing 8K. Also can't play 5K, 7K and 8K properly because of annoying ghosting problem.

I feel jealous for those who play Sound Voltex, as I really want to see one here in Indonesia, and probably more IIDX machines, there's like only one here. I never played any of those, but I really want to play them.

Meanwhile, maimai has upgraded to Orange Plus, and the machines here still are Green Plus, with some even worse, although there's already one or two machines that is Orange. I really want to try the crossover songs and the new songs too.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
In other news, I beat my first 13 on ITG a couple weeks back. It was pretty hype. I don't have stamina for 13's however, so I had to spend about 45 minutes recuperating.
Just keep playing and you'll start getting more fit soon without you even realizing it :V That's what happened to me. Long ago I used to struggle with 11s and 12s, now I use them as warm up sometimes :V

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 05:26:30 AM »
I feel jealous for those who play Sound Voltex, as I really want to see one here in Indonesia
Did you know there is a freeware version of Sound Voltex called K-Shoot Mania?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 02:11:48 AM »
This may be relevant to the conversation: http://reitaisai.com/rts12/toho-game-show

As for my personal history, I've been playing DDR for more or less 13 years now (still can't pass Max 300), IIDX for 11 (still can't pass 7-dan), and everything else to varying degrees.

Seeing as how music games were one of the main reasons I came to Japan, I must say they haven't disappointed. There's even Pump It Up if you know where to look.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
This may be relevant to the conversation: http://reitaisai.com/rts12/toho-game-show

Kinda curious as to why Reflec Beat and Jubeat will be there. Do they have touhou arranges in it now or no? Or maybe they have something planned for it?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 03:49:35 PM »
They don't have Touhou arranges right now, so more than likely they'll have preview builds with songs from a future unlock event.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »

As for my personal history, I've been playing DDR for more or less 13 years now (still can't pass Max 300), IIDX for 11 (still can't pass 7-dan), and everything else to varying degrees.

Seeing as how music games were one of the main reasons I came to Japan, I must say they haven't disappointed. There's even Pump It Up if you know where to look.

Oh jeez, I should've looked here first before pigs, now I feel dumb for being beat to the news even after I checked :o

Anyway, since we're discussing Camellia, enjoy a non-keysounded BMS file of one of his collabs with Nanahira.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »
Used to play DDR a lot, then sort of quit it 3 years ago. But, i think i can still do a green nine-footer.
Then switched to PIU like a year ago. I can clear 12-14 level without a bar, but that's it.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 03:37:26 AM »
Oh man, I spent all of 2013 and 14 tapping away at rhythm games. Namely jubeat and Reflec Beat for the iPad. I got to play the real deals very briefly while I was in the Philippines, and I must say that there is no comparison.
Also got to try out Drummania while I was there.

I'd rather not talk about how badly I did.

Played a lot of DDR as a kid, too, but I'm talkin 7 to 10 years old. My nature as a fatass sort of denied me the chance to perform very well on songs rated higher than 7, though ; v;

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 03:48:06 AM »
Was that at Glorietta 4? The RB was still there at the time, right?

Geez, I miss having cabs of the newer series nearby, this is what I get for moving lol

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

jester147

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 05:21:24 AM »
Oh man, I spent all of 2013 and 14 tapping away at rhythm games. Namely jubeat and Reflec Beat for the iPad. I got to play the real deals very briefly while I was in the Philippines, and I must say that there is no comparison.
Also got to try out Drummania while I was there.

I'd rather not talk about how badly I did.

Played a lot of DDR as a kid, too, but I'm talkin 7 to 10 years old. My nature as a fatass sort of denied me the chance to perform very well on songs rated higher than 7, though ; v;

There's jubeat and Reflec Beat at Philippines? Is there maimai and Sound Voltex too? And other rhythm games? IIDX? Taiko?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 05:49:29 AM »
Was that at Glorietta 4? The RB was still there at the time, right?

Geez, I miss having cabs of the newer series nearby, this is what I get for moving lol

The very same!

I'd hesitate to call them "newer." The cabs were limelight and copious. And the TimeZone's lack of eAmusement support meant basically that you had to start fresh every credit. But hey. Better than nothing!

There's jubeat and Reflec Beat at Philippines? Is there maimai and Sound Voltex too? And other rhythm games? IIDX? Taiko?

I can only speak for the TimeZone arcade at the Glorietta 4 in Makati. They sort of... took their machines from Japan. Shhh.
I found jubeat copious, reflec beat limelight, Dance Dance Revolution X2, GuitarFreaks and Drummania, Pump it Up, DJMAX TECHNIKA, Guitar Hero, and something similar to but not quite exactly Taiko no Tatsujin. Sorry, no IIDX, SDVX, or... maimai. I've not heard of that last one.

edit: Wow, I just checked. They removed DJMAX and RB Limelight! I'm sorry~~~
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:54:46 AM by チソウ タイゼン »

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 09:08:25 AM »
yo gpop do you still make stepmania files

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
Why does maimai look like a washing machine, honestly?

Anyway, I found a Music Gungun 2 cabinet at my local arcade, and I was surprised at all of the anime OPs and Miku songs. More surprised someone hadn't already unlocked everything on the cabinet - I got a few VH maps unlocked personally. Most surprised at the Touhou songs.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »
yo gpop do you still make stepmania files
Yes