Author Topic: Worst Bullet Type  (Read 10025 times)

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
Worst Bullet Type
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »
We all know the pain of Shou's Curvy Lasers or Marisa's Giant Spark but what is your least favorite bullet type?
Personally I hate those little pellet looking ones that are common in PoFV
Due to my poor eyesight I can never see them until the very last second so it's always tense for me when I encounter them......
What about you guys?
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

Re: Worst Bullet Type
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »
Huge transparent balls from TD/DDC. Because they're so bright they obscure each other.
1CCs:
Normal: IN (6A and 6B), TD, DDC, UFO, MoF, SA, EoSD, PCB, PoFV, LoLK (Pointdevice, Legacy), HSiFS, WBaWC
Extra: MoF, DDC, UFO, IN, SA, TD, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

SMW Central Profile | MyAnimeList

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 04:01:28 PM »
EoSD bubbles, glowy bullets, giant glowy balls, jellybeans...

Strangely, I'm not too bothered by lasers. Unless it's Minoriko's last spell >_>

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:01:44 PM »
The medium-sized ovals or "beans", like those in Seija's midboss spell in DDC Stage 5. Their hitboxes always feel too big along the short axis (the two sides that are closer to each other).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »
Bubbles, the hit box is so small...

EDIT: and curvy lasers. Those are hell.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:10:26 AM by bigyihsuan of Failure Industries »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:47:05 PM »
Aren't all bullets the worst in genral?
Small round bullets. They're smaller than your hitbox, their hitbox is 100% of a bullet, they are hard to see...
Miko's spliting up nonspells are the worst. I hate them and I always bomb third one. Second one too.
Actually, everylittle bullet suck, but those suck the most.
Knives also suck. Their hitbox is bigger than the bullet itself. Why, Sakuyaaaaa...
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:36:24 PM »
Knives also suck. Their hitbox is bigger than the bullet itself. Why, Sakuyaaaaa...
They're weird. There's a glowing ball in the middle of the knife that shows the actual hitbox, while the knife itself is for show. (I don't think EoSD actually had the glowing ball, though... it's been awhile.)
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »
Sakuya's knife lines (her EX attacks) in PoFV. The hitboxes on those things seem larger than they should be (especially compared to the knives that come from her spells and boss summon), and I've often gotten hit by them when I thought for sure that they didn't touch my hitbox.

Also, the rice bullets after they shrink during Final Boss Kanako's second spell card in MoF (Rice Porridge in Tube "God's Rice Porridge", Forgotten Husk "Unremembered Crop", Divine Husk "Divining Crop"). Nearly as unfriendly as Sakuya's knife lines above.

And, of course, all bullets during Final Boss Sukuna's fourth spell card in DDC (Mallet "You Grow Bigger!") when not using Reimu, because it feels to me like Marisa's and Sakuya's hitboxes are actually larger than the enlarged hitbox dot shows, and I get hit whenever a bullet gets remotely close to what appears to be my hitbox.

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
Either curvy lasers or arrows. I still have quite a bit of trouble actually predicting curvy lasers, which is why I hate them so much, though I've gotten better at that. Arrows just make me super nervous because I don't understand their hitbox. I always refer to them as knives 2.0 because of this. :V

It's funny though, knives aren't as nerve racking for me, I'm kinda used to their hitbox. ( excluding Sukuna's knives, augh! )
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

MetalStudios

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:19:57 PM »
Miko's spliting up nonspells are the worst.
I completely game overed the first time I reached Miko because those caught me off guard
I was on my last continue with only a few lives left and after getting surprised by those I just couldn't recover and lost it all at the very end......

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 10:34:16 PM »
Almost any bullet with near 100% hitbox but especially the rice pellets and very thin lasers.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 10:47:23 PM »
The shiny small bullets (i.e. those present in Peta Flare, KKS and Kagerou), Jellybeans, and Rest bullets are the worst. Also, I swear the wisps in Seija's first spell are much larger than usual.

Mikobullets are not too bad for me actually, when there's an issue with them being too bright, it's usually just me being tired. And Shou's lasers may be stupid, but they at least clear out instantly (unlike the shiny big bullets that go with them).

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 11:05:25 PM »
Knives.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 12:00:01 AM »
The hitboxes for the TH13 arrows were a pain to figure out.
And yeah PoFV Sakuya's EX knives have annoyingly large hitboxes.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 12:13:58 AM »
EoSD: knives. Never could detect those hit boxes
IN: Lasers. They are so faint that I get hit by them most of the time because I miscalculated
MoF: Most of them because it feels like every other bosses hit detection changes. Like with the Aki sisters, the ration is 1:1 but with Nitori it changes to where the hit box is actually smaller. Especially Kanako's Forgotten Husk "Unremembered Crop"

UFO: Can we count the ufo's as a bullet because they get me killed way more. But i find collecting them for lives necessary. all most be obtained :V
DDC: Beben's lasers. The angle always kills me. Seija's arrows.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 04:00:04 AM »
Rings of bullets. Screw rings of bullets.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 04:46:52 AM »
Arrows, and those small "virus" like bullets (the ones that Miko's first three non-spells feature).

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 05:06:04 AM »
Any bullets that spawn immediately (like Orin's nonspell.)  It eats my life countless time.
Arrows especially if they are in a spiral shape.  It feels like pure luck dodging all that.
Super crisscrossing bullets (worst being Kaguya's Cowrie shell)  Same reason as above.

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 07:12:49 AM »
Add me to the list of people who feel uncomfortable with Sukuna's knives. It's not that their hitboxes are particularly unforgiving; I just have a hard time judging them. (I've never played EoSD, so I can only imagine how bad the knives are there...)

I also remember getting pretty annoyed when I was playing SA Stage 4 for the first time and I got to the blue amulet section. They look pretty similar to the point items that are constantly falling toward you, so it can really throw you off when you're new to the stage and you haven't figured out the bullets' patterns yet. Even now that I know the amulet fans are aimed at you, the point items can still bother me sometimes during that section.

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 07:50:45 AM »
I also remember getting pretty annoyed when I was playing SA Stage 4 for the first time and I got to the blue amulet section. They look pretty similar to the point items that are constantly falling toward you, so it can really throw you off when you're new to the stage and you haven't figured out the bullets' patterns yet. Even now that I know the amulet fans are aimed at you, the point items can still bother me sometimes during that section.
My brother also thought amulets were point items at first. He asked "What those violet items do and why are you not collecting them?".
I also forgot about divine spirits (those huge glowy bullets Miko uses). Their hitbox is huge! They always get me on her speedy spellcard.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 08:20:29 AM »
My brother also thought amulets were point items at first. He asked "What those violet items do and why are you not collecting them?".
I also forgot about divine spirits (those huge glowy bullets Miko uses). Their hitbox is huge! They always get me on her speedy spellcard.

Point items fall straight down, FYI.
And why ZUN? Why were you cheap and gave Miko a spellcard that almost vomits out glowy bullets continuously?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 08:46:25 AM »
Bubbles, they've been the death of me in every game so far
Knives. They're the reason why I can go through Stage 4 and still have tons of lives, but have only one life for stage 6.
Those tiny white dot bullets, at least whenever they're in large quantities.
Stars from IN. Dangit Marisa!
Curvy lasers, nothing more needs to be said.
And last but not least, Non-directional Lasers and their variants, especially Marisa's from IN, and Most Valuable Vajra

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »
Do Medicine's slowing clouds count?

I seem to be able to tolerate everything that gets thrown at me. Even EoSD's knives. (Except for that one non-spell of Sakuya's with knife cross-stitching. Fuuuuuuuck that.)

Drake

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
Guys, the arrow bullet hitbox is just the tip of the arrow. You can basically think of them as the droplet bullets but with a pointless tail.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »
Technical nitpick note:  Spellcard/non-card mechanics are not bullets. Noticed some people using attack patterns as example

I don't know if there is such thing as "Worst Bullet Type" as ZUN have been changing his engine over the past touhou games. It could be well that EoSD might feel difficult (or perhaps is) due to lacking hitbox and perhaps collision detection.

For me the Marisa stars are the only the "worst" types but that is because of mutual hate when you get surrounded by them and trying to dodge in despair. Could be well because of my own failure (probably is).

But yea, all bullets have sensible hitboxes, albeit some might be wonky or feel wonky but that could be a visual/psychological thing. We can't confirm.

MetalStudios

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
Do Medicine's slowing clouds count?

Don't even get me started on those things........
so much hate

Hrusa

• /u/Hrusa
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
For me its probably the spinning X shaped bullets from MoF stage 4. The spin on them confuses me.

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 11:25:54 PM »
Those extremely bright bullets Shou uses.

Everyone complains about her lasers... while her lasers are fairly difficult to read, I find those freaking bullets to be the real threat IMO...when theres a lot of them in one place, it is EXTREMELY difficult to read, IMO more than any other bullet combination in the entire series. So much that it borders on cheap IMHO...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:09 AM »
Stars from IN. Dangit Marisa!

Ignore the star points; you have a lot more room than it seems.

And my vote is for the musical notation bullets, whether from PCB or DDC. They just throw me off a bit, visually, as they are so nice to look at in action that BAM. At least once, every other time.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 01:33:46 AM »
Knives, always.