Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E  (Read 282786 times)

Re: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E
« Reply #750 on: September 30, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
Animal Crossing on GameCube, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Brave Frontier, Terraria, Don't Starve, Cave Story and Project Diva 2nd.
"Oh dear me, I've accidentally won."
(C) Aya

« Reply #752 on: October 01, 2017, 08:32:18 AM »
Do you wanna swap friend IDs? I purged a bunch from my friend list recently.
Sure!
(C) Aya

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #753 on: October 07, 2017, 04:12:22 AM »
IGN: Lemmy
Leads include Regil, Shion and Zelnite. I also have a boatload of other units, but not all of them are powered up. Are you by chance in a Guild already?

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #754 on: October 07, 2017, 11:39:18 PM »
Redout, again. I might have posted about it before but it's such an unbelievable thrill ride. I've been going through all the time trials in Class IV with the handy companion app telling me which of my times need the most improvement and got some decent times on all the tracks now. I've also been playing around with the 1st person viewpoint which was initially extremely disconcerting but has actually helped me improve my times (as well as making the game feel even faster, because it obviously needed that).
Let's fight.

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #755 on: October 08, 2017, 12:52:10 AM »
What with so many new racing games on the market bringing us such wonderful features as gutted single-player campaigns, clunky broken AI, and lootboxes (as well as me generally being cheap), I was quite grateful to have a friend find me a copy of an older one I'd yet to play, specifically Colin McRae: DiRT 2. One thing I've appreciated about the Colin McRae Rally / DiRT series is that there's pretty much no re-use of content or treading of the same ground; even going back to an older title, it's a brand new experience. The announcer and a few courses re-appeared in the far different demo-derby title DiRT Showdown, though.

I could go on and on about the physics feeling right, but if you've tried any of the DiRT games, you know they're generally consistent. DiRT 2 is arcade-style and rewards a well-thought-out racing line while also letting you go a little more aggro on the jumps and cinematically excessive on the drifts. You can set good times in modern-day cars almost completely sideways, but purists will be glad to know that a few secret cars behave far closer to the original CMR2 physics. What really sets DiRT 2 apart is a unique presentation; menu screens are diegetic and experienced from a first-person view as you move about your driver's RV, parked outside of whatever event you've just attended. You select events off of a map on your table or posters on your wall, customize cars in a tent outside (stickers accumulate on the interior view for each major event you win, and while it's no Underground 2, you can customize all sorts of silly things like adding fuzzy dice or making your horn play Greensleeves at top speed), and even sit through loading screens that track your flight to the next event. It doesn't sound like a game-changer, but it has a unique charm. You never really leave character the whole time; it keeps momentum.

Adding to this presentation is a unique tone, far more focused on having fun with your friends and partying than serious prestige. It caught a lot of flack at the time for "Americanizing" the series, and while I can't entirely see it for the full package, it does at least show in the driver roster. With no WRC license, the main drivers are pretty much entirely either Rally America stars or fictional. Still, something that gives it some personality is being able to impress, befriend, and eventually team up with other drivers, including those real-world rally stars. It's wonderfully amusing to hear Travis Pastrana joking "has Ken (Block) tried to sell you any shoes yet?" or Tanner Foust congratulating you on taking second in the rallycross races he invariably dominates. They bicker to you and among themselves mid-race, which could be annoying, but in my opinion, livens things up a bit and makes the cast matter again in a way I haven't seen a racing game do since the first GRID.

I can see where this alienated people at the time especially, though, from the very over-the-top energy-drink-fueled excessive style of this one. No subtlety here. Rally is a small portion of the game now, with Rallycross, Trailblazer (hillclimb), and Landrush (buggies/trucks) vying for attention, but the rally stages are still well-constructed and well-voiced (you have the option of SEGA Rally style "easy left, hard right" or 1-6 system "left 5, into right 2", which is very nice if you've learned the 1-6 system because the simplified instructions are less informative. Also, minor detail I love, the co-driver will shout aloud if you crash mid-instruction). The course designs range from reasonable, like winding Chinese countryside or sprawling Utah cliffs, to wonderfully excessive, like battling through a track built in Battersea (the next game would make this location open-world instead) or leaping and sliding through Shibuya's streets. It's all very much Hot Wheelsy, focused on having a good time above all else. Mix that with an excellent soundtrack, smooth physics, and the gratuitous energy drink advertising making sense in hindsight when the two leading rallycross series are Red Bull Global Rallycross and FIA Monster Energy World RX, and you've got a great, surprisingly peaceful and cute title. It's just silly fun.

Minor notes of my own personal experience: It weirds me out that "Evan" is a voice option here and I'm graced with actual drivers saying "hey, Evan, nice win", but DiRT 3 and Showdown cut that name from the list and I was stuck as "Dude". Having played a ton of GRID, I appreciated a Ravenwest livery instantly unlocking for the game-starting Impreza when it found my old save. Also, the RV just got a jack-o-lantern when this month started: cute touch.

Digging out some older titles, as well, I've recently reinstalled Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. My nostalgia has not served me well here, at least not on PC; NFSIII aged a lot better. Awkward floaty physics and some heavy RNG on pursuits make this less fun than it was back in the day... but as a kid, I really only played Be The Cop mode, so in a sense, the rest of this game is new to me. And that mode still holds up perfect. Ram supercars off the road until they stop? My kind of virtual police work. Still, it has a certain tone that later NFS games veered from that I don't know how to place. It's very much not afraid to be silly where it benefits gameplay, even if it contradicts itself. Going too fast in your Lotus Elise? The police will try to pull you over. Go faster? You're too much of a threat to public safety for them to safely pursue and you're home free. They see you still going? Time to call in the helicopter to drop explosive barrels in the middle of public roads and detonate any cars that hit them. It genuinely forced a laugh out of me when I got arrested and the "Busted" cutscene played out the on-foot police chase like a Scooby-Doo chase instead of anything serious. The NFS series past this point had some fantastic entries, but after Most Wanted was extremely successful and only accidentally corny, they kinda gave up on being intentionally silly for a good few years, and a bit of fun was lost in that. Most of all, though, I totally love that some songs on the soundtrack with extremely blatantly sexual lyrics were rewritten for the game to be about street racing and police chases, which is so dorky it's somehow perfect. (Plus, Rush was on it somehow, which never happened before or since to my knowledge.)

Also, it took me 15 years to finally notice the police have black-and-white cruisers and American accents no matter where on the planet you're supposedly racing. We're all living in Amerika, Amerika ist wunderbar.

« Reply #756 on: October 09, 2017, 06:34:32 PM »
IGN: Lemmy
Leads include Regil, Shion and Zelnite. I also have a boatload of other units, but not all of them are powered up. Are you by chance in a Guild already?
Sorry for the late reply haha! ^^"
My ID is 78642520.
I have a bunch of nice units, but I don't really use in them, because Cost is a meanie :")
And nope, I am not in any Guild yet!
(C) Aya

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #757 on: October 10, 2017, 05:45:36 AM »
I love how Blue Reflection goes from school slice of life into something out of Drakengard into Exist Archive into magical girl anime in the space of a few minutes. And probably back and forth, if the back of the case is any indication. I'm not a fan of sub-only, but I did it for Nights of Azure, I'll do it for this. Also for the Rorona DLC costume. (Also I should probably get to preordering Nights of Azure 2?)

Also picked up Archangel for PSVR, but damn, do you need those checkpoints. If you aren't constantly looking in all forward directions at once, you're probably going to get rekt by everything ever because shields are basically how D.Va's Defense Matrix works except the stuff has to hit the shield. It wouldn't be so bad if the healer didn't only use her heals once per mission.

(Also kinda unrelated, but Code:Realize has an anime? And it's going to get dubbed by Funimation? wow)

Also also, I'm kind of surprised the lobbies for Peach Beach Splash are so empty... at least the non-Ranked lobbies. Haven't tried Ranked yet.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:33:33 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #758 on: October 10, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »
Also also, I'm kind of surprised the lobbies for Peach Beach Splash are so empty... at least the non-Ranked lobbies. Haven't tried Ranked yet.

I wonder how many series fans stateside are now just figuring "I'll wait for the PC port", because seeing all the Vita games get ported after Shinovi Versus's success on Steam definitely has got me waiting on this one. All I know is it's got Ryōna (the character, not, y'know) and goofy outfits and giant Ryōna so I'm already pretty much pre-sold.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #759 on: October 14, 2017, 04:25:10 AM »
God damn it, Koei, get some goddamn proofreaders for your English localizations. As much as I'm enjoying Blue Reflection, the constant typos are seriously irritating me. Didn't you learn anything from the translations of the Atelier series you did, or even Ar nosurge?

Also, Vert's VA is still strange to me. I'm still too used to her earlier VA. Also I think Noire has a different one too...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:53:43 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #760 on: October 14, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »
At least it's not NISA, hah.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #761 on: October 14, 2017, 03:22:25 PM »
At least it's not NISA, hah.
Even with their tendency to mess with translations, they'd be an improvement.

Move eternally forward,

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #762 on: October 16, 2017, 03:12:53 AM »
Doki Doki Literature Club.  Go enjoy some time with cute club members!  Available free on Steam.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #764 on: October 19, 2017, 06:59:50 AM »
And that's Blue Reflection done. I'm actually kinda crying right now. Now for the rest of the Trophies, of which I assume most of them involve maxing out the affection gauges of all twelve girls.

Move eternally forward,

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #765 on: October 27, 2017, 09:56:34 AM »
Picked up Mary Skelter Nightmares. Started on Horror, because why not. Haven't played much yet, but so far it feels a lot like Dungeon Travelers: Creepy Pasta edition.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Red770

• Instigator
  • Hey mang, Take it easy on the take it easy
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #766 on: October 28, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
Hey all, anybody interested in playing starcraft 2 this weekend and the next?

Just message me your battle.net account.
double kill, triple kill, overkill, killtacular, killtrocity, killimanjaro, killtastrophe, killpocalypse, killionaire

« Reply #767 on: October 29, 2017, 01:26:19 AM »
And that's Blue Reflection done. I'm actually kinda crying right now. Now for the rest of the Trophies, of which I assume most of them involve maxing out the affection gauges of all twelve girls.
How was it? Review I read said it wasn?t so hot.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #768 on: October 29, 2017, 03:27:06 AM »
How was it? Review I read said it wasn’t so hot.
It's an up-port of a PS Vita game, so there's a bunch of stuff that takes hits because of it.

If you're into magical girl transformation sequences, you get two of them for each character early in the game, then none afterward, not even with their upgraded weapons.

Combat can be pretty repetitive, especially once you get certain skills. Throughout, if you give any non-tank trash mob a turn, you're doing it wrong; and if you're doing all the sidequests between each chapter, literally only two bosses are any real trouble whatsoever on Normal.

There's only eight dungeon variants with only four or so rooms per variant which don't have real connections between each other (sometimes you'll go through one exit only to loop to the other exit, sometimes you'll be somewhere else entirely); four of the variants are just combinations of two variants. Even if you aren't specifically grinding for drops, you'll be wandering those eight places a ton. You also can only craft or upgrade your addons while in a dungeon, which was an odd decision.

Outside the dungeons, the only place you can wander around in is the school, so it sometimes feels pretty restrictive, even if you can go out with some of your girlfriends to a few places outside the school, a la the short interludes the Persona series took if you did a S. Link but didn't have enough points to actually upgrade the Link. Even with Fast Travel, Hinako moves kinda slow at school (admittedly, she does have a bad knee).

Artwork would have been a high point (all the art was created by the same person who did the Atelier Arland art); except that there's only a few art stills, and almost all of them during the credits.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:31:40 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

« Reply #769 on: October 29, 2017, 03:31:19 AM »
It's an up-port of a PS Vita game, so there's a bunch of stuff that takes hits because of it.

If you're into magical girl transformation sequences, you get two of them for each character early in the game, then none afterward, not even with their upgraded weapons.

Combat can be pretty repetitive, especially once you get certain skills. After that, most trash mobs are one-shots after that point; and if you're doing all the sidequests between each chapter, literally only two bosses are any real trouble whatsoever on Normal.

There's only eight dungeon variants with only four or so rooms per variant which don't have real connections between each other (sometimes you'll go through one exit only to loop to the other exit, sometimes you'll be somewhere else entirely); four of the variants are just combinations of two variants. Even if you aren't specifically grinding for drops, you'll be wandering those eight places a ton. You also can only craft or upgrade your addons while in a dungeon, which was an odd decision.

Outside the dungeons, the only place you can wander around in is the school, so it sometimes feels pretty restrictive, even if you can go out with some of your girlfriends to a few places outside the school, a la the short interludes the Persona series took if you did a S. Link but didn't have enough points to actually upgrade the Link. Even with Fast Travel, Hinako moves kinda slow at school (admittedly, she does have a bad knee).

Artwork would have been a high point (all the art was created by the same person who did the Atelier Arland art); except that there's only a few art stills, and almost all of them during the credits.
Are there any compelling reasons to play it?

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #770 on: October 29, 2017, 05:14:13 AM »
Are there any compelling reasons to play it?
Fanservice? There's occasional rainstorms during the course of the game, so you sometimes can see some of the girls with wet uniforms (and apparently the stuff's thin enough that you can easily see bras). Some of the DLC outfits are at minimum, kinda ecchi (modesty towels, middle-school style seifuku, school swimsuits, etc.). If you got Nights of Azure 2 with the DLC bundle, you can get some DLC to have the two leads swap outfits if you feel like it (though Aluche only gets the school uniform and Hinako gets the "literally only glowing pasties cover the nipples" Purification outfit). If you get Blue Reflection with its DLC bundle, you also get a Rorona outfit for Hinako.

It's pretty much that and the visual style, which, again, was done by the same artist who did the Arland Atelier trilogy.

EDIT: Also the soundtrack. Overdose, the main battle theme; and the main theme, among others.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:02:55 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #771 on: November 06, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »
Now that I actually have a reasonable idea on how to play Eiyu Senki (don't waste your money on healing troops - let them naturally regen; focus down enemies to reduce total enemy turns, even if it means you take more damage in the short term; etc.), I'm actually making considerable progress (for me, anyway). Still didn't stop me from ramming my face headlong into Gordion, winning on the last possible move, and learning you can't actually capture it until you actually capture the capitol.

(Also, I kind of hate that you can't really play the R18 version around other people because one character's running around topless.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:10:43 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #772 on: November 07, 2017, 02:40:35 AM »
I recently finished Megami Tensei II (played I earlier) and SMT (chaos route), and have started on SMTII. Loving the world-building.
Let's fight.

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #773 on: November 07, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
So, Mary Skelter Nightmares. Its balance is kinda wonky. First you have a fighter girl and a red mage/bard/support girl. Then you get an archer girl and an utility girl, then shortly after you get your dedicated mage. That's your party. Later you start getting other characters, but they all have duplicate classes of your first five. Also due to me playing on Horror they all join underleveld compared to my main party. And there's really no reason to use them.
Also "utility" girl has such weird class choices. She has Blue Mage as one of her classes. She gets ALL the elemental skills and weird shit. At the same time she has Disaster Rune spell from one of her other classes. It's high random elemental damage to all enemies. When you first get it, it's just that. Damage with random elements. But as you level it up, not only it starts dealing more damage, the skill also starts to land on enemy weakness more often. When the skill is maxed it's transfromed into "Deal high elemental damage to all enemies with an element they are weak to".
Oh, ya. Your bard has differently named, but doing the same skill. Also your bard's class Poet has the highest TEC (read magic) of all her classes to the point that it's on par with your dedicated mage. Also she's stupidly fast.
All that translates into that at the start you're exploiting enemies elemental weaknesses and try to survive. Midgame and beyond you just melt everything with AoE. And mp isn't even an issue due to Massacre Mode restoring hp and mp and you misson control carrying virtually unlimited supply of mp restoratives.

Edit: Actually Disaster Rune is simply "do damage with element enemy is weak to". Huh.
And the most broken thing is Logic with maxed out Jail passives.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:37:31 AM by CF7 »
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

« Reply #774 on: November 07, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
(Also, I kind of hate that you can't really play the R18 version around other people because one character's running around topless.)
I would think that you wouldn?t be able to play the R18 version around others in general, no matter the state of dress of the characters during normal play.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #775 on: November 07, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »
Azure Striker Gunvolt can't hide the fact that it's a Mega Man Zero clone and is too easy for it's own good outside of bosses but who cares when it's this fun?

Ni-Oh is out for PC and now I hope to get the Dark Souls fix that Dark Souls 3 couldn't address as well as I'd hoped.

Also Breath of Fire 3 with friends. Playing like I'm 14 all over again and hitting the second major grind wall WOOooOOooOO~!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #776 on: November 07, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
I would think that you wouldn’t be able to play the R18 version around others in general, no matter the state of dress of the characters during normal play.
Literally the only differences between all-ages and R18 is infrequent (and usually foreseeable) H scenes and two characters (the second's got hers mostly covered at least; from a distance, the fact that her nipples are showing isn't noticeable). Sure, you'd probably get weird looks playing a tactical RPG where only one character is a dude, but it's basically less-ecchi Rance at that point (and a few Vita games are a bit more mortifying to play in public, anyway).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:46:55 PM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #777 on: November 13, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »
OH MY JOSH Nioh/Ni-Oh/Ni-oh/Knee-Eau is so much fun. Scratches that Dark Souls itch better than DS3 did. I'm just going in with a basic heavy armor and spear build for maximum survivability and zero skills, but the stance system rounds out combat so well that combat is never boring. All of the weapons have their own strengths and weaknesses and just feel so good when you use them right. Bosses are tough and of the die-a-dozen-times-to-learn-their-patterns variety that become so satisfying to beat. The equipment system is ridiculously complex because there's weapon/armor levels, bonuses, rarities, etc. that reward you with sticking with - and basically customizing - a good piece of equipment rather than just swapping stuff out.

I already have good stories of co-op, too! Someone summoned me and the two of us ran through the entire second stage, even beating its boss without either of us dying on the boss that took me 10+ tries to do alone! Oh boy!

Go play it, yes do, I halp, much fun hurrah!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #778 on: November 17, 2017, 06:12:49 AM »
So Tokyo Tattoo Girls is basically shit-tier Plague Inc., as it turns out. Pick a girl (each has different attributes), pick a place to start, then wait for ages for shit to happen, with occasional interaction with your girl to put more tattoos on her and trying (and failing) to understand how the kit they give you works.

In better news, I've been playing a bunch of Opus Magnum. While the campaign is much shorter than your typical Zachtronics (at least, it feels a lot shorter because you have a ton more freedom than you would in any other Zachtronics), it's more involved with the gameplay and story interaction; and the new solitare game, Sigmar's Garden, is basically 2D western Mahjong with interesting twists (metals like lead or iron can only be combined with quicksilver, but only if there's no lesser metals out there, salt can be combined either with itself or any primary element, quintessence can only be combined with one each of the primary elements) and a setup the game notes is always possible to win from turn 1 (unlike, say, Shenzhen Solitare, which had at least a few starting hands that were unwinnable).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:14:43 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #779 on: November 18, 2017, 03:04:27 AM »
Redout, yet again. Now that the new DLC has arrived with the Moon and P-A219 complexes (and another graphics upgrade for free), we have a staggering 50 tracks at this point. 60 if you include the boss tracks, which have all five tracks of an area chained together with teleporters for a mega-track usually around 4-5m in length for the fastest speed classes. Both new complexes are incredibly fun, and they feel like the fastest set of tracks in the game in terms of having a lot of sections you can take flat out if you get your racing line right. P-A219 (nicknamed the Party Planet) in particular is an absolute blast to play, with three of the five tracks being complete speedfests, one being a speedfest mixed with crazy tubes and a brutal chicane, and then Vishnu, the longest track in the game, acting as a railgun and firing you between planets. It is SO COOL.
Let's fight.