Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E  (Read 282138 times)

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E
« Reply #330 on: November 27, 2015, 09:25:02 AM »
I'm suddenly back to Tales of Maj'Eyal, probably the most accessible roguelike around that's still mean enough to wreck me completely becasue I'm a bad and careless player.

My Berserker's finally done with all the lower level obligatory dungeons and begins his ascent up the Dreadfell tower. There's a vault on the second level and I foolishly decide to open it. It's full of orcs! Orcs are a major threat in this game, and so the place is swarming with extremely dangerous Pyromancers,  Cryomancers, Necromancers, Corruptors, Wyrmics and Assassins. I need to retreat and split them into smaller groups, which proves to be my downfall,  as after defeating a separate pair of cryomancers I got careless and waltzed right into an invisible Assassin Grandmaster.

BUT I had the one-of-a-kind resurrection item that brings me back to life in the same spot, I successfully clean up the remaining orcs and reach the tower's final floor. I swiftly encounter the boss accompanied by several monsters, including a rare ghoul. Preoccupied with the boss, I fail to notice that the ghoul is either a Temporal Warden or a Paradox Mage, and has put a Spatial Leash on me. I activate my Teleportation rune and promptly receive the immense Spatial Leash damage. Instakill.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #331 on: November 28, 2015, 08:36:28 PM »
Decided to blow the dust off the IGA-style Castlevanias I played, as well as finally look at the newer ones. Started with... Simon's Quest. Yeah. Well, I never was among those that bashed it, but it seemed a bit too hard for me (though I thought that about other classic 'Vanias too). This time I found it actually really enjoyable! Just get used to the jumps and remember a few pointers, and then it suddenly becomes a pretty fun game.

Also, tried out the DS ones this week. Dawn of Sorrow is horrible in almost every aspect but music. The other two seem to be awesome, though.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #332 on: December 03, 2015, 10:45:37 AM »
I love how Black Lotus shows up, almost insta-nukes Kirito, and immediately decides "close enough" and joins at level 600.

What is her symbol supposed to be (aside from the logo for Lost Song)....?

Also, SSX and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is up on PS+.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2015, 03:57:54 PM »
Decided to blow the dust off the IGA-style Castlevanias I played, as well as finally look at the newer ones. Started with... Simon's Quest. Yeah. Well, I never was among those that bashed it, but it seemed a bit too hard for me (though I thought that about other classic 'Vanias too). This time I found it actually really enjoyable! Just get used to the jumps and remember a few pointers, and then it suddenly becomes a pretty fun game.

Also, tried out the DS ones this week. Dawn of Sorrow is horrible in almost every aspect but music. The other two seem to be awesome, though.

As a huge Metroidvania fan, I agree that Dawn Of Sorrow is the absolute worst of the genre. I 100%ed it earlier this year just because I had never done it, and yeah, not fun. It's playable I guess, but there are so many games that do everything it does better. Like Aria Of Sorrow, for instance.

The other two DS Castlevanias are much better,  yeah. Portrait Of Ruin has some questionable design choices, but Order Of Ecclesia may be the best game in the series.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2015, 04:13:17 PM »
As a huge Metroidvania fan, I agree that Dawn Of Sorrow is the absolute worst of the genre. I 100%ed it earlier this year just because I had never done it, and yeah, not fun. It's playable I guess, but there are so many games that do everything it does better. Like Aria Of Sorrow, for instance.

The other two DS Castlevanias are much better,  yeah. Portrait Of Ruin has some questionable design choices, but Order Of Ecclesia may be the best game in the series.

I didn't dislike Dawn nearly that much, but the other two DS titles are indeed better.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »
I'm really enjoying Portrait of Ruin, actually. Both gameplay-wise (whips <3) and aesthetically. I found portrait worlds pretty interesting, and while I'm still yet to actually visit the second set, I'm not against remixing stages. I really like that approach, actually. (Yes, Harmony of Dissonance is my favourite of Metroidvanias. How did you guess?)

Order of Ecclesia, however, turned out a huge disappointment for me. It's hard in a wrong way. The glyph system is interesting but a bit unwieldy. That alone wouldn't be too much of an issue, but the enemy forces you're up against are sadistically hard as well. That pushes it a bit too far for my taste.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2015, 05:58:05 PM »
I didn't dislike Dawn nearly that much, but the other two DS titles are indeed better.

I don't HATE it, on a spectrum of all games every it certainly doesn't land in the "terrible" category, it's just superfluous. Probably worth one playthrough, but not really worth revisiting unlike the others. When I replayed it I was really hoping that I was undervaluing it and that it would turn out to be an underrated gem, but... It didn't. The map design is just so tedious and lacking in momentum that I really soured on it. The bosses are mostly uninspired, the characters and plot are even stupider than I've come to expect, and the core mechanics are annoying. If I have one positive thing to say about Dawn Of Sorrow it's that the weapon system is interesting, but even that leans heavily on tediously grinding rare souls, so... Eh.

I'm really enjoying Portrait of Ruin, actually. Both gameplay-wise (whips <3) and aesthetically. I found portrait worlds pretty interesting, and while I'm still yet to actually visit the second set, I'm not against remixing stages. I really like that approach, actually. (Yes, Harmony of Dissonance is my favourite of Metroidvanias. How did you guess?)

Order of Ecclesia, however, turned out a huge disappointment for me. It's hard in a wrong way. The glyph system is interesting but a bit unwieldy. That alone wouldn't be too much of an issue, but the enemy forces you're up against are sadistically hard as well. That pushes it a bit too far for my taste.

Portrait of Ruin's greatest strength is certainly the variety of environments, but Order of Ecclesia did that to a lesser degree as well so it's become less unique than it was at the time. There's still some obnoxious grinding for skills, but it doesn't feel nearly as bad as in Dawn of Sorrow. Some of the bosses are memorable, particularly that shadow demon guy. And it may have the best Dracula fight in the franchise.

I found the sigil system in Order of Ecclesia to be extremely elegant, and not awkward at all. So maybe that's just a difference of opinion. As for the difficulty... That's certainly true and agsin maybe it's just a matter of taste. You wouldn't happen to be talking specifically about the crab in the lighthouse would you? :D Not the only hard boss in the game certainly, but I think it's the first hint about how tough the game is.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:59:50 PM by commandercool »

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
You wouldn't happen to be talking specifically about the crab in the lighthouse would you? :D Not the only hard boss in the game certainly, but I think it's the first hint about how tough the game is.

No no no, the bosses are awesome (and I don't think that particular one is any hard, frankly). It's the stages that are my nightmare. Namely, Skeleton Cave completely broke my will to go on and I dropped the game after clearing it.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2015, 07:01:59 PM »
Huh, I've always had the opposite experience. I found the stages (with one late-game exception) to be fair and fun, but the bosses to be extremely difficult. Intetesting.

« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2015, 09:50:41 PM »
Skeleton Cave isn't even that hard.

« Reply #340 on: December 03, 2015, 10:19:53 PM »
I don't HATE it, on a spectrum of all games every it certainly doesn't land in the "terrible" category, it's just superfluous. Probably worth one playthrough, but not really worth revisiting unlike the others. When I replayed it I was really hoping that I was undervaluing it and that it would turn out to be an underrated gem, but... It didn't. The map design is just so tedious and lacking in momentum that I really soured on it. The bosses are mostly uninspired, the characters and plot are even stupider than I've come to expect, and the core mechanics are annoying. If I have one positive thing to say about Dawn Of Sorrow it's that the weapon system is interesting, but even that leans heavily on tediously grinding rare souls, so... Eh.

Portrait of Ruin's greatest strength is certainly the variety of environments, but Order of Ecclesia did that to a lesser degree as well so it's become less unique than it was at the time. There's still some obnoxious grinding for skills, but it doesn't feel nearly as bad as in Dawn of Sorrow. Some of the bosses are memorable, particularly that shadow demon guy. And it may have the best Dracula fight in the franchise.

I found the sigil system in Order of Ecclesia to be extremely elegant, and not awkward at all. So maybe that's just a difference of opinion. As for the difficulty... That's certainly true and agsin maybe it's just a matter of taste. You wouldn't happen to be talking specifically about the crab in the lighthouse would you? :D Not the only hard boss in the game certainly, but I think it's the first hint about how tough the game is.

The glyphs were strange at first, but they grew on me. To the point where I grinded to Lv255 for absolutely no reason other than "the game just lets you".

Portrait giving me a wide array of things to play as with Johnny and Charlotte instantly clicked with me, as well as being a continuation of flipping Bloodlines of all things, just blew me away. Also fun fact about Portrait, there's only one screen in the entire game that has water, which is rather strange for a Metroidvania.

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2015, 12:23:31 AM »
No no no, the bosses are awesome (and I don't think that particular one is any hard, frankly). It's the stages that are my nightmare. Namely, Skeleton Cave completely broke my will to go on and I dropped the game after clearing it.
You haven't seen the Castlevania yet. My personal shit-list is the boss with enormous and monstrous shadow (I forgot his name) that have high attack power, great reach, small arena (smaller than Gergoth's one of my favorite boss in Dawn of Sorrow), and can only be hurt with Light. He always halt my progress in both story and boss rush.

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #342 on: December 04, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »
My personal shit-list is the boss with enormous and monstrous shadow (I forgot his name) that have high attack power, great reach, small arena (smaller than Gergoth's one of my favorite boss in Dawn of Sorrow), and can only be hurt with Light. He always halt my progress in both story and boss rush.
Well Blackmore can be a pain, but it's also weak to Fire. And if you have Nitesco glyph which is Fire/Light you can more or less laser spam it to death.

Still playing Dungeon Travelers 2. Currently exploring
Spoiler:
Library Dungeon which is freaking huge
. From what i can tell i am somewhere near the end of the main game.
Party is Alicia (Dark Lord), Melvy (Witch), Grishna (Valkyrie), Ist (Dancer -> Mistress) and Tsurara (Kunoichi).
Kinda thinking about switching Alicia for Yae, since her unique skill is better, though.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #343 on: December 04, 2015, 02:36:25 PM »
You haven't seen the Castlevania yet. My personal shit-list is the boss with enormous and monstrous shadow (I forgot his name) that have high attack power, great reach, small arena (smaller than Gergoth's one of my favorite boss in Dawn of Sorrow), and can only be hurt with Light. He always halt my progress in both story and boss rush.

Oh shit, is he in Order Of Ecclesia? I guess I erroneously mentioned him earlier as being the most memorable boss from Portrait Of Ruin. Oops.

Yeah, I like that fight, but it's a bit much. And Gergoth is definitely the best boss in Dawn Of Sorrow in my opinion too.

Clearly I need to re-play Order if I can't even remember what bosses are in it. I loaned iut my copy and never got it back, so I guess I'll have to buy another.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #344 on: December 04, 2015, 11:25:19 PM »
Am I the only one who finds Pokemon hard? (Granted it is Platinum but still)
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2015, 03:39:39 AM »
Well Blackmore can be a pain, but it's also weak to Fire. And if you have Nitesco glyph which is Fire/Light you can more or less laser spam it to death.
*sigh* I used Vol Luminatio against him. And damn, does it really slow.

Yeah, I like that fight, but it's a bit much. And Gergoth is definitely the best boss in Dawn Of Sorrow in my opinion too.
You could imagine how happy I am seeing its ugly self in Portrait of Ruin.

In Resident Evil 4 & 5, the best way to defeat Las Plagas and Majini is to stun it by shooting in the head or knee and follow it with physical attack. I tried the same thing against the Ooze in Revelations... only to get myself bitten. In the end, I spent a whole clip against one monster.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #346 on: December 05, 2015, 05:34:13 AM »
Am I the only one who finds Pokemon hard? (Granted it is Platinum but still)
I usually end up making poor move choices and somehow end up underleveled at the same time and just cobble my way to victory because I'm bad at games, so don't feel bad, haha.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #347 on: December 05, 2015, 07:18:44 AM »
On the Iffy front, they've announced a few ports for Steam for next year. The most interesting one, I think, is Monster Monpiece. Some people may recognize it as the first game IFI localized. Others may remember they had to do a bit of censorship on some of the artwork. The Steam version has to cut the multiplayer (a shame; if they had connectivity with the Vita version, I might have had motivation to get the plat), but in exchange, the censored cards are restored to their original glory.

There's also the other Nep games going from Vita to Steam, announcing the FFF remake, and the Blanc-oriented Nep game.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #348 on: December 05, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »
Playing another roguelike now, DoomRL this time. It's short (clearing the whole thing shouldn't take more than two hours if you know what you're doing), very sweet and based on one of the best games ever, which is a big bonus.

My best run so far (second difficulty level) cleared the first two episodes and reached Hell Level 2, where I ended up spawned dangerously close to some lava barrels, which were then promptly blown up by a Baron of Hell. I guess it was my fault for not immediately using one of my spare Large Medkits. My combination of a Tactical Shotgun with all the related perks, with a Missile Launcher for bigger threats, a self-regenerating Blue Powered Armor, and perks allowing me to collect up to 200% health without health decay, proved pretty survivable, but there are many other choices for a Marine. I might try one focused on melee or rapid-fire weaponry next.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 12:41:17 PM by navpirx »
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #349 on: December 05, 2015, 01:25:06 PM »
Playing another roguelike now, DoomRL this time. It's short (clearing the whole thing shouldn't take more than two hours if you know what you're doing), very sweet and based on one of the best games ever, which is a big bonus.
There's an achievement for clearing the game in like <10 minutes.  It's amazing just how smooth it can play at that speed too.  (man I love DoomRL tho; I've not been playing it nearly enough in recent months)

In other news, I got fed up with Amazon not yet having shipped my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles X, so I moved everything on my external to my spare, larger hard drive in the desperate hope that my old external would work.  It did.  Perfectly.  So I have that downloading while I head to work oh my god I'm so excited ahhHHHH

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #350 on: December 05, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »
Just defeated Whip's Memory. ...Not impressed? I've done it the PROPER way - whip vs whip, no subweapons or healing items. Only cleared Dark Academy from the second painting set, so I had no special edge over him. In other words, he needed 88 hits while I'd fall from 4. He landed only one.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #351 on: December 06, 2015, 09:55:30 AM »
There's an achievement for clearing the game in like <10 minutes.  It's amazing just how smooth it can play at that speed too.  (man I love DoomRL tho; I've not been playing it nearly enough in recent months)
Yeah, my first, clueless clear took under 2 hours, so I definitely overestimated the game's length and underestimated the "knowing what you're doing" factor. It was excellent fun, my only tiny gripe was that the bosses seemed a bit anticlimactic, at least on the Not Too Rough difficulty. I simply unloaded my BFG at them repeatedly and that's it. Especially the Spiderdemon couldn't hurt me much, despite me using a Nanofiber Blue Armor providing a mere 1 point of protection (my Red Armor got sadly destroyed during my panicked escape from the Mortuary). Also, in original Doom, the Cyberdemon had a ton of Lost Souls accompanying him, and the Spiderdemon's level featured a few Cacodemons and Barons. These bosses were alone in my playthrough. I assume the companion monsters show up on higher difficulty levels.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #352 on: December 06, 2015, 05:19:07 PM »
In Resident Evil 4 & 5, the best way to defeat Las Plagas and Majini is to stun it by shooting in the head or knee and follow it with physical attack. I tried the same thing against the Ooze in Revelations... only to get myself bitten. In the end, I spent a whole clip against one monster.
I just found out that to stun Ooze, you need to shoot at both of its arm. It's not an easy task.

In episode 3, Jill and Parker fights against a Scagdead as a boss with infinitely respawning creatures. I temporarily got stuck there due to me forgetting to get rifle, the boss having an instant kill attack, and me not mastering the art of dodging. It took me maybe 10 retries to finally kill it.

In later episodes, Chris and Jessica ended up fighting against 2 Scagdeads at once. But they're still easier to fight with Chris due to his stronger weapon. Playing as Jill feels like playing Sanae's chapter in Return of Touhou Mother if it were a horror game.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #353 on: December 06, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
Tried to hunt down my copy of Castlevania: Order Of Ecclesia but the guy I loaned it to swears he gave it back to me. I can't find it, so I just bought another copy just now. So I guess I'm gonna play that again.

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2015, 01:06:46 AM »
Yes! Finally completed RE: Revelations, with zero death, on normal ahoy!

[attach=1]

Now I can go back to Return of Touhou Mother Let's Play. If I can defeat a whale-sized zombie, I sure as hell able to defeat the remnant of Team Touhou Mother.

In episode 3, Jill and Parker fights against a Scagdead as a boss with infinitely respawning creatures. It took me maybe 10 retries to finally kill it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:23:50 AM by Your Everyday NEET »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »
The BIT.TRIP just got released. It's basically BIT.TRIP COMPLETE on Sony systems.

Holy balls, insta-buy. I don't care I have COMPLETE, I don't care I have the entire thing on Steam, I'm buying the crap out of this. This should be a fairly easy Platinum for me, too!

Move eternally forward,

Emelia K. Fletcher

• regular nymphoid polygon
« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2015, 07:46:44 AM »
This should be a fairly easy Platinum for me, too!
EXPLORATION / CONTROL
i absolutely adore the entire BIT.TRIP series - FLUX probably being my favourite with Runner2 being a close noncanonical second - and really wish it was more prevalent today still
(still salty about EXPLORATION kicking my ass and then CONTROL duplekicking my ass)

100% Orange Juice just got the Sham and Sherry DLC, and considering Sherry is a character who has every positive stat and an enforced "goes second in battle", she should be the good kind of broken and great fun to play against my good friends who hopefully have a high RNG bullshit tolerance at this point we've been killing each other over dice for fifty hours now jeez

PAD 372,390,342 // PADherder

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #357 on: December 09, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Exploration wasn't too hard, really - it's just that you suffer insane amounts of damage if you miss a shot during the boss and it hits one of the shelters. Doing it on Hard in COMPLETE sucked balls, because if I remember correctly, you got thrown into Nether even if you were all the way up at Super.

I say The BIT.TRIP's a lot like COMPLETE, but it's a bit more like SAGA - that is, it's a bit laggy on handheld. I don't have a PS4 (yet), so I can't make any comparisons, but it's silly that a Vita's having trouble with a game from the Wii. (Also no soundtrack CD or bonus material, so I miss the Challenges - even if I could never complete FLUX Challenge 20.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:54:41 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #358 on: December 10, 2015, 07:57:36 PM »
Playing Ironman Savoy in EU4.

I own most of Northern Italy; a massive amount of the Eastern Spanish coast [My newest aquisition; took it while Spain was busy fighting against one of their colonies who declared independence]; a bit of what is modern France [Never fought France for it. Fought other nations]; Normandy [I inherited it]; a significant chunk of South America and Australia; Northern Japan; and I have a significant amount of land in Indonesia; The Phillipines and a small trade outpost in China.

The game currently rates me as the 3rd or 4th strongest nation in the world. There's a massive Austria[It literally has invaded and ate all of Hungary]; Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and Ottoman Empire. We rank above France, Russia and Great Britian.

Savoy starts with like; 6 provinces. I now have about 60. And there's still about 100 years left in the game.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:00:44 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #359 on: December 11, 2015, 05:08:37 AM »
I'm a decent chunk into that copy of Castlevania: Order Of Ecclesia I bought last weekend. Gotta say, once again I'm finding that the stages aren't too bad, but I find the bosses to be very difficult. I don't think I've died on a stage yet (although I've had quite a few close calls where I used a Magic Ticket to escape a split second before something killed me), but I've died many times to every boss, even the easy ones. Except Barlowe for some reason, I managed to get past him in one try even though I remember getting stuck on him for quite a long time the first time I played. Maybe I just subconsciously memorized all of his attacks.

I'm also finding that my 3DS is really uncomfortable to play on. I never consciously noticed it before, but my hands are way too big for it. Maybe I just don't remember how to hold it right. I don't remember this being a problem for any other Castlevania and I played them all on this device.