Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E  (Read 282634 times)

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2015, 04:07:06 AM »
I'm going back to Disgaea 4 on Vita. Duping's a lot easier, although I'm nowhere near the point where I need to exponentially-grow Statisticians and Guardians. Hell, I don't even have a Puppy Paw Stick yet. Or access to a map that'll get me a level 1000 Nekomata . There's one in X-Dimension 1-1 that's level 600 so you can increase the enemy levels via the cheat shop, but to get there you need to actually go into the Item World and seek out that gate. And I've stayed out of the item world aside from your one mandatory visit. At the moment I'm giving Big Bang to all my characters. The Vita version has all the DLC characters (also the two new people from D3 Vita) without you needing to spend any money on it, so that's a lot of Character World trips. I moved my base to Holt Village due to Disgaea 2 nostalgia and just loving the design of that place.

The guidebook for SRWBX came out and someone scanned all the secret conditions, so I started over on my 5th run to see if I could get every secret in one playthrough. So far, I think I'm doing alright.
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #271 on: October 08, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
You know, it's kind of funny how many people are super high school level butthurt over the fact that Rise's VA was unable to reprise her role in DAN due to previous engagements for voicework for Gears of War. I mean, seriously, guys.

Anyways, I'm back in Kingdom Hearts II, and Xaldin on Critical mode is such a pain in the ass. Killed his ass, though, so there's that.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #272 on: October 08, 2015, 06:13:05 PM »
I still haven't played much of DAN, but in the first couple of chapters I didn't even notice a difference. It's all kind of a wash anyway given how weak the English voice casts in Persona games tend to be overall.

So for those who actually like rhythm games, how does P4:DAN stack up as one? Is it a top-form example of the genre like P4: Arena is for fighting games?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #273 on: October 08, 2015, 08:33:04 PM »
I went back to Muramasa Rebirth. I remember stopping playing it because Danganronpa just came out, then I kinda forgot about it because I had so much games to play.

Now I can't stop playing it.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
« Reply #274 on: October 09, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
The mobage SRW, X-Omega (the X is the word "Cross", as is wont to happen in Japanese), came out, and it's free to download. Works fine on BlueStacks, if your mobile device is short on space at the moment or you'd rather play it on PC. If you do get on, PM me and I'll send you my friend code. It's a tower defense game, basically, where you get new units via a lottery, and of course the best units are all acquired by gambling with the harder-to-get currency. Aside from the language barrier thing it's not bad.

Rise's VA was unable to reprise her role in DAN due to previous engagements for voicework for Gears of War.
Huh, no kidding. Wonder if I'd catch shit here for thinking Chie's P4G and Fuuka's PQ voices are superior to the originals.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #275 on: October 09, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »
Guess who wasted a lunch break to play RKS again. This time, despite no practice for months, I managed a 1CC, almost-buster-only and with lots of spare lives and cross-tanks by the end. Mastery doesn't fade easily, it seems!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #276 on: October 09, 2015, 04:56:38 PM »
XCOM: Alien Explode campaign complete! Hope the second remake builds on the strengths of the first. Awaiting its release early next year.

Starting up Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes. Rescuing prisoners, sneaking across all of Guantanamo Bay Camp Omega, landing 45m headshots upwind, then making a huge mistake and blowing the whole thing. Going to get all the prisoners across all missions and then probably shift over for realsies. Just successfully extracted Glaz and Palitz. Heard I had a bit more work to do in the form of XOF patches, classified intel, and a prisoner in the anti-aircraft mission. I DID sneak a peak at the main game and it was 90 minutes of Boss's life HURTING.
Huh, no kidding. Wonder if I'd catch shit here for thinking Chie's P4G and Fuuka's PQ voices are superior to the originals.
Chie's original I liked because it captured her casual, flighty, energetic personality well. The original Fuuka VA sounds like she was dragged off the street and didn't even know what she was auditioning for. Any change was an improvement there.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #277 on: October 10, 2015, 02:30:22 AM »
Chie's original I liked because it captured her casual, flighty, energetic personality well. The original Fuuka VA sounds like she was dragged off the street and didn't even know what she was auditioning for. Any change was an improvement there.
Chie is a weird one for me: I prefer old Chie's voice more, but the new Chie put better emphasis and stuff in her lines (even if her voice is kind of grating). Also, I actually didn't really notice a difference between the different Rise VAs, so good on her (apparently she's Ash from Hey Ash Whachu Playin'?). Kanji is another one that has a decent VA replacement (though, really, Matt Mercer is a poor man's Troy Baker so it's not a huge shift).

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2015, 01:25:24 AM »
Matt Mercer also takes over as Valvatorez in the Vita-exclusive content of Disgaea 4. I think it's just the Time Leap chapter, though.

I'm just being shitty at Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus because I suck at everything. I can't figure out how to stop from being damn-near infinitted every time the computer hits me (yes, I press X to tech out, then triangle to hit them out of the way, but I get literally no input time after that before the computer starts reaming my ass again). It doesn't help that they keep using their supers OVER AND OVER again.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »
Shadow Warrior on Insane difficulty beaten. How hard was it? Let me update my difficulty list from before.

• Casual: Only one hard battle (the end of second-to-last chapter).
  • Normal: About 10 hard battles, one is expletive-inducing hard (the end of second-to-last chapter).
  • Hard: Every other battle is hard, about 10 expletive-inducing hard. The end of second-to-last chapter needed quicksaves.
  • Insane: Every battle is hard, period. Every other is expletive-inducing hard. About 10 battles needed quicksaves. The end of second-to-last chapter... CRASHED.

It wasn't all that hard, though, since I finally decided to use the sword as much as possible. Outside of select few kinds of situations, it's indeed the best weapon you have if you take the right upgrades.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #280 on: October 14, 2015, 02:25:09 AM »
I just finished Pillars Of Eternity. I should think on it for a few days before I give a final opinion, but as it stands I'm left very unsatisfied. For me this playthrough was consistently marked by the feeling that this game is an unfinished experience. It would show so much promise in places, then just lose steam. Numerous times. And the ending railroads you through past a certain point, and I was NOT expecting the area that begins that process to be the actual last dungeon, so maybe that has a lot to do with how unsatisfied I feel. I didn't get to tie up some loose ends because I didn't know I would be forcibly funneled into the last boss fight. But I think think I had a ton of game left even though there were still some things I wanted to do. I'll get some distance on it and see if I change my mind, but I'm kind of mad at this game right now. A lot of stuff about it is at least very good, a few things are great, and a LOT of things seem like they turned out much shallower than they were presenting themselves as.

Actually when I think about it, just about every game I've played this year has given me this feeling to different degrees. Does nobody finish their games any more? ZUN does, I suppose. I still have him for complete, well-rounded, emotionally satisfying video game experiences.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2015, 12:12:45 PM »
(Warning: lots of profanity ahead. Spoilered for those faint of heart.)

Spoiler:
FUCK YOU AND YOUR DODGING BULLSHIT, VARCOLAC 1! Seriously, this fucker's GAF-1 can do DFM maneuvers - in a game without DFM, turn literally on a dime, and in the final phase, is constantly on your ass. If he isn't, he simply pulls the DFM countermove and meets you head-on - and if you fire then, he'll still do his physically impossible dodge move. Presumably you're supposed to gang up on him with a full squadron-ish, but it's a huge fuck you to people who can't do that.

Okay, now apparently this is fucking with me in other AC games, too - even with maxed out attack, speed, and homing, I'm constantly missing shots with the Wyvern that should connect in Ace Combat Infinity. I'm getting curbstomped by all the fucking whales who are packing 2000+ cost planes at max level. Seriously, how can you let a fucking Harrier II score seventy thousand points when at least two of you on my squadron are specifically anti-ship attackers?!

...Anyway. Chariot's a fun game, if a little stress-inducing in single-player during ice world because you get pulled off ledges really easily on ice, and you can't exactly anchor mid-air. I don't know what they want regarding some of those Trophies, though - I guess they want you to do it through the A entrance.

I'm tempted to pick up Corpse Party: Blood Drive, but I haven't actually gone through the prequel games yet. Should probably do that first, yeah?
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

« Reply #282 on: October 14, 2015, 04:07:18 PM »
I'm tempted to pick up Corpse Party: Blood Drive, but I haven't actually gone through the prequel games yet. Should probably do that first, yeah?
That'd be a good idea, yeah. At the very least, you'll need to play the original game and know what happens in the final chapter of Book of Shadows.

EDIT: I'll clarify a bit: Blood Drive is a sequel to Corpse Party, and follows after the true ending of that game, which makes knowing what happened in that game vital. Book of Shadows is basically a collection of side stories or alternate routes, all of which should be unnecessary to know for Blood Drive with the exception of the final chapter, which is a direct follow up to Corpse Party and acts as the bridge between that game and Blood Drive.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:43:12 PM by Sect »

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »
Labyrinth of Touhou. The first time I played it I gave up at Eientei Team battle massacre. This time around I'm more open-minded and grind-happy. Let's see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
« Reply #284 on: October 21, 2015, 05:23:52 AM »
I'm playing Final Fantasy: Record Keeper, because apparently I don't hate myself enough. No point in listing my friend ID, if any of you play it (and if you don't, you're a better person than I am), because the game's been out six or seven months and nobody wants to rent a level 22. At least the week I chose to jump on is the week you can get Terra if you do the mission line. None of the MCs are available through normal play; you have to get them from the rotating events. So I guess it'll be quite a while before I can get Best Girl Aeris (since Cloud's the one you get automatically).

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #285 on: October 21, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »
None of the MCs are available through normal play;
Not quite.  There's a number that are available through standard play, although the majority of those are tied to high level Elite dungeons that will be ass to succeed at.  Oh well.

By the way spam Orbfest if you're new.  Get as much done as you can with Terra, but Orbfest is actually way easier than its listed difficulty would lead you to believe.  You don't even necessarily need to be able to fight through all 9 encounters on a difficulty; you can clear the first stage (just three battles, and two can be downed by a roaming warrior summon oftentimes, so you can blow all your abilities on the other one), then restart, and the only thing you'll miss out on is First Time/Mastery rewards... which you'll be able to get before long thanks to the craploads of EXP/gil/orbs you'll rack up.

(Also; 7Mad , if anyone plays.  Currently just have a Virus shared soulbreak though because I haven't gotten a character relic yet, but hey)

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
« Reply #286 on: October 21, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
Don't worry. I'll be fine. I've been doing Orbfest when I need to drain stamina to the point where doing a Core stage'll give me a +1 and a refill. The connection messes up a lot, though. Maybe if I tried playing with the computer off so the core box would only be transmitting to my iPod. Because when I use BlueStacks to play stuff (I don't see the point in playing vertical mobile games on a PC with a rectangular screen), the connection never hiccups.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #287 on: October 22, 2015, 02:46:48 AM »
nobody wants to rent a level 22
Depends on what you have as your shared soul break, some aren't stat dependent IIRC.  Also 2nding Orbfest.  Couldn't tell you about connection issues as I'm on android phone. 

So I guess it'll be quite a while before I can get Best Girl Aeris (since Cloud's the one you get automatically).
You're in luck!  They added her as a bonus quest with this new event!  How far in is that dungeon from where you are now I have no idea but hey you can get her now!

Mine is QHyf (Luneth with Advance) but being maxed on followers might preclude adding so if anyone posts their code I'll add first.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #288 on: October 22, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
Back on the subject of super high school level butthurt; Mugen Souls is on Steam... but it's the US version, with the bathing minigame removed. There's this thread on the discussion page that's already over 300 posts regarding this one particular subject.

Also why can't I hit anything in Aerospace Hard anymore! Seriously, it feels like my Fighter + Homing L isn't actually doing anything useful in terms of this anymore on that map. On Adriatic and B7R I can wreck planes flying perpendicular to me just fine, but not on Aerospace...

Move eternally forward,

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
« Reply #289 on: October 22, 2015, 07:25:08 PM »
Maybe if I tried playing with the computer off so the core box would only be transmitting to my iPod.
Yup. Crashes less often.

but it's the US version, with the bathing minigame removed.
Was anything of value lost? The first Mugen Souls isn't very good, and this is coming from someone who actually likes IF games. Z is a lot better. Not that it's...amazing or anything. Hell of a lot more playable characters, though.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #290 on: October 23, 2015, 08:05:17 AM »
Was anything of value lost? The first Mugen Souls isn't very good, and this is coming from someone who actually likes IF games. Z is a lot better. Not that it's...amazing or anything. Hell of a lot more playable characters, though.
The main things lost is removal of the minigame (the spa just gives you the minigame's buffs outright now) and their related CGs (which include soaped-up characters, including resident lolis Chou-Chou, Welsh, Sharuru, and Bellaria). That said, a lot of people have a lot of hate for anything NISA brought state-side or for censoring in general (see the similar amount of hate they garnered when they brought over Criminal Girls: Invite Only and removed the voices and put pink clouds over the characters during Motivation), even if said fault lies with the Japanese crew inserting the data (which, I'm told, is a big part of the reason why the Sleeping Boss bug in Mugen Souls Z took so damn long to fix) or the QA crew somehow missing obvious and not-so-obvious bugs.

Move eternally forward,

« Reply #291 on: October 23, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »
Played the Indivisible demo. It's pretty fun, it plays like a active time Valkyrie Profile, though it takes some getting used to the timing of attacks. The platforming to do the extra content after beating the demo boss is hell, though.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #292 on: October 23, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
It's not even a demo, it's a prototype.

I really hope this project gets funded, I am fond of Lab Zero and they deserve every bit of help.

I wish I could get refunded on Mighty n?9 so I can give it to Indivisible.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
« Reply #293 on: October 23, 2015, 11:19:27 PM »
I'm playing Chain Chronicle. Don't ask me why. Probably something else to do during stamina downtime for Record Keeper/X-Omega. Speaking of X-Omega, they released a bunch more SSRs (highest-rarity), but no C/UC/R units. It's to the point where there's a larger unit pool for R/SR/SSR draws than there is for C/UC/R draws. You know, giving more incentive for pay2win. X-Omega really needs to implement something where you can spend friend coins to get either an R or SR, because as it stands, there's no reason to draw from that pool unless you're trying to do the mission series for "max out a unit's level cap 4 times via fusion on X number of units", since it's easier to do on a unit with a high pull rate.

see the similar amount of hate they garnered when they brought over Criminal Girls: Invite Only and removed the voices and put pink clouds over the characters during Motivation
Even setting aside the premise, I watched some gameplay footage of Criminal Girls and almost ran screaming from the room. Battle system does not look like my idea of a good time. Same thing with Conception, although I don't know if that game's actually controversial or not. I really, really hate child PCs in RPGs so I was never all that interested to begin with.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2015, 07:40:54 AM »
I do agree the battle system of Criminal Girls is... awkward at the best of times, but I enjoyed the hell out of it, because having limited tactical options, despite having a large amount of them available (and having those options limited by the characters themselves) does appeal to me.

As for Conception II, the battle system is pretty simple. You control up to four squadrons (you and the girl you bring along, plus up to three squadrons of up to three Star Children), there's a facing aspect (enemies take more damage from certain sides, enemies who attempt a powerful attack make it obvious where they're hitting, getting backstabbed is very bad for you, etc.), but it lacks a lot of the... finesse? of certain other Atlus games. It's almost certainly controversial, though, given the game's heavy focus on the fact that the heroines and the hero have to have what is effectively G-rated sex to make the Star Children. Rarely, threesomes (though the children tend to be more averaged out for it). And you have to do that a lot, given that their max levels are based on the heroine's level, the humans level very slowly compared to their children, and for best effect, a large chunk of your main fighting squad ends up leaving the party forever after every dungeon foray since they hit max level and should be released.

Never mind that it's also a harem dating sim game, and you are encouraged by everyone, even the girls themselves, to raise your relationships with all seven girls.

Move eternally forward,

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
« Reply #295 on: October 25, 2015, 12:24:25 AM »
Yeah, I saw the battle system footage for Conception 2. Didn't seem like my thing. Not that it made me go "Jesus Yamato, how horrifying" like Criminal Girls, though. I was just thinking about that because my friend owns both games. He's actually fairly-normal and well-adjusted (and married, too), and like me, the kind of stuff in JRPGs that bothers people or causes them to have a hatedom doesn't affect him at all. It's a video game, he likes it, so he's going to keep playing it. Unlike me, though, he likes single-character ARPGs. I can't do those. They're so lonely. You meet all these people and you wish that some of them would join your party but they never do.

I'm still on my mobile game binge. I also DL'd Asdivine Dios. It was free, so I figured I might as well. I was poking around the App store for quite a while and it popped up on one of those "people who got this also got this" things. It's not that bad. Pretty much a classic JRPG on mobile.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #296 on: October 25, 2015, 07:11:33 AM »
You know, I'm half tempted to buy Code: Realize just on the art alone, even though I'm pretty damn far from the intended audience. I might just wait for a sale, and maybe pick up the other two otome games on my radar? Also tempted to get Mugen Souls on Steam, never mind that I still haven't broken the game in half on the PS3 (or finished MSZ, for that matter).

Speaking of Mugen Souls Z, any advice on that challenge that requires you to break a Large Crystal? The best I can really do is smack as many of everyone I can into the thing, but I end up fragging the shampuru easily, even with level 1 characters.

While Indivisible is on my radar right now, a more pressing one for me is Muv-luv, which is getting an English release through Kickstarter. They're almost at three times their funding goal, which is nice, but I kind of really want that pilot's jacket.

uhhh the dangers of being in sole control of my funds, and little to spend it on...

Anyway, I figure it's finally time to get the last main game trophy in Prince of Persia... if the damn thing didn't glitch out and not give it to me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:13:26 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:16 AM »
Got around to beating Xenoblade Chronicles. It's super good.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2015, 05:48:35 PM »
Playing 200% Mixed Juice, it's a blast so far in story mode haven't tried in Multiplayer mode yet since my friend and I are just going around getting cards and getting the hang of the 200% MJ mechanics it's a bit grind demanding though, but I'm used to it.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #299 on: October 27, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »
JRPG that I still haven't finished yet:
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2
- Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC
- Fairy Fencer F
- Xenogears

And soon, I'm adding Mugen Souls to my list . And now that Legend of Heroes SC is coming out soon, I have to burn through FC, *sigh*. And that doesn't even counting my let's play of Return of Touhou Mother.