Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E  (Read 282229 times)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
why do you keep playing games go do something useful with your lives

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:54:08 AM »
no, instead I'm going to be playing shadow hearts covenant on stream semi-regularly and enjoying myself

also playing around with Super Mario Bros X for the MAGLX2 contest, but that's all I can say on that.  Yay crappy level designs! 8D

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »
No that's silly someone mentioned Vagrant Story and I had to start playing it again time to relearn all the smithing stuff.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 05:08:27 PM »
Racing my friend on who can beat Tales of Symphonia 2, I'm playing the Wii version while he's playing the PS3 version so far I found out that having a memory card with ToS1 gets you some free stuff on the Wii version thankfully I kept all of my GC games, memory cards, and controllers so yay. So, far we're tied right now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:10:41 PM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »
I apologize for nothing Reddyne!

I just beat up this stupid golem thing that I could only damage with magic or counter splash damage and I still don't really know what to do in the workshop effectively :V

Reddyne

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 05:35:47 PM »
I apologize for nothing Reddyne!

I just beat up this stupid golem thing that I could only damage with magic or counter splash damage and I still don't really know what to do in the workshop effectively :V
I've been reminded of the following things that shouldn't spoil very much of anything but will hopefully dispell some ???'s about weapons and armor smithing since it's such a big thing:

1. There's an axe, sword, crossbow, spear, knife, 2 handed sword, and club all before the first workshop. NONE of them combine into anything useful. x.x

2. Shields are not nearly as complex as weapons. If what you get is better than the last one, do it. Early on I think it goes (lvl 1 shield) + (lvl 2 shield) = (lvl 3 shield). Later that changes to (lvl 8 shield) x 2 = (lvl 9 shield). You will eventually be able to put stat boost gems in them too.

3. Braveheart gems are fantastic almost to a fault.

4. At the start, the hilt barely matters. As you progress, the hilt becomes almost as important as the weapon itself.

5. Armor's a lot of whatever when smithing. If what you get is better than what you had, go for it. There's more cross-breeding than with shields in that you can go across armor types, but just keep plugging away to make stuff better. I wound up with a glove about 4 levels higher than the starting bandage.

6. Silver and damascus are super rare and tough to make from raw materials. Try to keep them as they are. This goes threefold for damascus.

7. WEAPON STRENGTHS AND TYPES MATTER. It's good to keep a couple weapons as back-ups because they're strong against a particular type. There's slash/blunt/pierce weapons, elemental affinities, and affinities for specific types of monsters. It also means that piece of junk hanging out in your inventory might be a mighty dragonslayer, too.

8. Your damage is the estimated damage plus 1-5. If you get an estimated NOTHING out of the first strike, keep chain attacks going and not only will you do damage but the damage will climb for each successful hit in a chain.

9. Both damage points and phantom points matter for maxing out effectiveness, but always repair your stuff when at the workshop!

EDIT: Oh and as a general tip, you can check the equipment setups of your enemies in the same room. I forgot exactly how to do so, but once you figure it out you'll know what enemies have equipped for armor/weapons and therefore who it might be worth picking fights with since they'll drop that same equipment. Some unique enemies also have uniquely named weapons, too.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:45:13 PM by Reddyne »

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 01:13:35 AM »
no, instead I'm going to be playing shadow hearts covenant on stream semi-regularly and enjoying myself

also playing around with Super Mario Bros X for the MAGLX2 contest, but that's all I can say on that.  Yay crappy level designs! 8D

I can't wait to see where you place and when Raocow plays your level, man.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:28:01 AM »
I can't wait to see where you place and when Raocow plays your level, man.
aw ye, someone knows what I'm talking about <3

I was able to complete and submit the level after passing it around to some other talkhausers for feedback and everyone was super impressed apparently so maybe I'll actually do well despite never having picked up SMBX before.  (Then again, that among the list of generated level names I had was
Spoiler:
PARANOIA
probably helped; I'll leave you to wonder what I did with that 8D)

Also in other news I've downed Turn 9 and 10 of the Binding Coil of Bahamut in FFXIV.  Finally, after a year of always being behind by an entire coil, I'm actually caught up and engaging relevant endgame raid content, yipee!

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 12:20:45 PM »
I was able to complete and submit the level after passing it around to some other talkhausers for feedback and everyone was super impressed apparently so maybe I'll actually do well despite never having picked up SMBX before.  (Then again, that among the list of generated level names I had was
Spoiler:
PARANOIA
probably helped; I'll leave you to wonder what I did with that 8D
I can hardly wait now. The first MaGL X had pretty good content, so the second one ought to be really good.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 AM »
I started playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth on the Vita to see what all the hoopla was about.  I'm only on Chapter 2 and Noire just joined the party and I'm loving it.  Neptune gets all the best lines.  She's really, really blunt.  I want to get to Heart White, the second she opened her mouth in the intro was awesome.  That intro was pretty cool.  It reminded me of Nanoha. 

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
White Heart is unfortunately the last CPU you'll meet.

Anyway, Hyperdevotion. English Ai is so tryhard, but I can't help but feel that's a better voice for her than her JP voice. Is Resta representing the Tales series? Is Ryuka's Nepgear's favorite?
EDIT: Wait, what? Resta's representing Agarest? Damn it, how did I not see that?!

Also making my way through all the Alfheims in Bayonetta. Probably will die hardcore if I try the Lost Chapter without all of the Witch Hearts collected, but most of the ones I'm missing are probably on Route 666.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:26:18 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 05:15:41 AM »
To those who were eagerly expecting MAGLX2?  I spent six hours today playing people's levels as last minute playtesting/showcasing in a private stream today (The entry fee was sending me your level).  I only played 16 levels but oh man they were all super great for one reason or another and I'm so hype for the full LP and results now.

EDIT: Deadline has passed.  The tentative level count is about 270 levels holy shit
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:17:26 AM by Garlyle »

Reddyne

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Wau the Talkhaus has been busy. Once in a while I'll skip stuff Raocow plays because of lack of interest but Mario X stuff can get so creative.

Dork Souls 2 is seriously wrapping up for the final time. It's come down to co-op in Brume Tower and other places as the only area I've yet to go through is Eleum Loyce. I beat Fume Knight Raime on my first attempt and Sir Alonne on my fourth in a series of subpar performances. It's a rare occurrence for my co-op host to lose unless they're careless and even rarer for me to get whupped before they do should that happen. Yup. Time to hang up my min-maxing gloves.

Vagrant Story will only be getting the nod every so often with spring coming around. It has reminded me just how punishing it can be. 0 damage estimates all around. I still ace the smithing test, though.

Bravely Default is just about to hit Chapter 4. Just got Swordmaster and Ninja. I swear this game gets more and more fun the more the jobs open up.

Sahgren

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »
Picked up Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment while it was on sale. Unfortunately, the opening has ticked off my inner literary critic and my grammar nazi side wants to club whomever was "editing" the dialogue. Seriously, don't do an in media res opening when you can explain everything leading up to that point sufficiently in a 5 minute cutscene. Especially not when you actually proceed to explain everything in a 5 minute cutscene immediately afterwards. If they had done explaining first, stabby-murder-fun-time second, I wouldn't have spent the opening wondering what I had missed.

Edit: Also playing Space Hulk Ascension. I'm actually finding the game kinda scary, but more in the "I can lose my units at any time if I screw up" sense than the jump scare sense.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:55:19 PM by Sahgren »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »
So the Neptunia anime is getting an English dub. It sucks that a bunch of people (including IF!) couldn't get their original VAs, though.

Wyn is such a difficulty spike from Generia G. I wonder why... Maybe it's the soccer balls. I also love how whoever managed the VAs evidently forgot to tell Melissa Fahn there were a few scenes where she's supposed to be speaking in Purple Heart's voice instead of Neptune's.

I've finally won a tournament plane in ACI. Too bad it's only a Tiger II, one of the lowest-tier planes.

Also bought a model kit for an F-14D Zipang Super Tomcat, kinda regretting it due to all the paint I'm going to need, since anything that isn't required to be clear was painted the body color - including all of the stuff like landing gear, the cockpit, the engines... I'm half tempted to buy an airbrush, but I don't expect to be buying another model kit anytime soon, so it'd be useless afterward. Also, only recently discovered most of the hobby shops I knew about have closed up. fml

It feels strange to be playing a traditional Atelier game without a time limit...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:56:16 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

Sahgren

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 09:38:21 PM »
Atelier Shallie coming out made me realize that I never got around to playing Escha & Logy. Which is a shame, because it's turning out to be my favorite entry in the series gameplay-wise so far. On the plus side, I heard that Shallie has an annoying glitch, so this gives me something to do while they patch that out.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 02:46:57 AM »
Atelier Shallie coming out made me realize that I never got around to playing Escha & Logy. Which is a shame, because it's turning out to be my favorite entry in the series gameplay-wise so far. On the plus side, I heard that Shallie has an annoying glitch, so this gives me something to do while they patch that out.

More info on the annoying glitch:

After the main Shallie hits L40, the Growth system unlocks. They... forgot to translate the descriptions, and that's what's causing the glitch.

In other news, I just realized my kit doesn't use pins, either. I have to glue everything together.

Move eternally forward,

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 02:24:03 PM »
Oops I signed into Kingdom of Loathing tonight

Oops I found out that their current seasonal ascension path is Actually Ed The Undying.

I have missed you KoL.  And you especially, Ed.

theshirn

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 10:42:45 PM »
Oops I signed into Kingdom of Loathing tonight

Oops I found out that their current seasonal ascension path is Actually Ed The Undying.

I have missed you KoL.  And you especially, Ed.
god damn it don't make me do this man

god damn it

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Sahgren

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 01:32:11 AM »
Oh hey, Atelier Shallie patch hit. Time to pick it up. I guess Shikkoku no Sharnoth can stand being delayed... again.

Edit: A movable camera, minimap, no time limit... WHO ARE YOU SHALLIE AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE ATELIER SERIES!?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:01:58 AM by Sahgren »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
Oh hey, Atelier Shallie patch hit. Time to pick it up. I guess Shikkoku no Sharnoth can stand being delayed... again.

Edit: A movable camera, minimap, no time limit... WHO ARE YOU SHALLIE AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE ATELIER SERIES!?

Mana Khemia and Atelier Iris beat Shallie to the punch for minimaps and no time limit.

But yeah. Much like how Meruru was the easiest of the Arland trilogy, Shallie made it a point to be easier than Ayesha and Eschatology.

EDIT: I love how there's this Sheep of Fortune wandering around a certain map... It's essentially Blinking every which way. It's so fast!

In other news, Soldner-X 2 released on the Vita, free for owners of the PS3 version, so there's that. I'm hesitant to go into what appears to be the final mission of Hyperdevotion due to the massive backlog of other missions.

I thought 3 oz containers of paint would be not enough for some of this. Turns out, I'm going to end up only using around 3 oz total out of 14 containers of paint. Guess I will have to buy another model kit just to vent some of this paint.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:21:44 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
I need to play some more Atelier games.  The last one I played was Rorona.  And I still need to beat Annie.

But anywho, I started playing Gravity Rush.  I got it for Christmas, but it kind of got away from me.  Dunno why, it's really fun and actually uses the Vita.  That being said, I'm going to have to get used to the controls.  I flung myself off the edge a few times during the tutorial.  And I got a Phantom Brave flashback when I finished the tutorial.  I love the music for this game.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 06:35:41 PM »
I'm playing Digimon Story : Cyber Sleuth, and it lives up to my hype quite pleasantly. I think the only thing I am not particularly fond of is the lack of AA, because the game is so beautiful it's a shame to see some pixels sometimes. They probably did that so the game could keep its constant 60fps, which is fair. Also, Vita compress screenshots like mad.

Also, seeing Nakano Broadway and Shinjuku again after all this time made me scream of joy and wish I could go back there again. I know Akiba is in the game, too.

Also, this freaking guy.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »
I need to play some more Atelier games.  The last one I played was Rorona.  And I still need to beat Annie.

But anywho, I started playing Gravity Rush.  I got it for Christmas, but it kind of got away from me.  Dunno why, it's really fun and actually uses the Vita.  That being said, I'm going to have to get used to the controls.  I flung myself off the edge a few times during the tutorial.  And I got a Phantom Brave flashback when I finished the tutorial.  I love the music for this game.

Annie was fun. If anything, though, it's a bit too time-restricted in the late game, especially if you're going for the true ending, since days pass insanely fast and without regard to Gathering or fighting while you're in the field. [Also, you should totally pick up Rorona Plus next time it's on sale  - it's a remake of Rorona to update it to Meruru's systems, which streamlines a ton of stuff, though it makes certain things much harder to do (e.g. you now have to break boulders in a single bomb throw to pass, instead of tossing a few bombs at it).]

Gravity Rush does have a huge learning curve for learning some of Kat's powers, but master them, and you can basically bounce from Nevi to Nevi, laying the smackdown on everything ever. Master the Gravity Slide (hold down the bottom corners of the screen, turn the Vita like a steering wheel to maneuver, drift by releasing one of the corners), and you basically have nothing to fear from any Nevi in range of that insane power kick.

Also, I love how this kit gives the option for which way the variable wings are set, but failed to set the decals to compensate for the changes (i.e. the flaps), so I have to risk FUBARing myself by cutting the decals themselves.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:05:15 PM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 12:40:00 AM »
Picked up Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director Cut version again after procrastinating on finishing it so, yeah collecting secrets and upgrades are fun.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
Just finished Child of Light.  Absolutely gorgeous visuals and music, you aren't playing this one for the story/characters let me tell you.   Pretty easy RPG but again, it's the atmosphere that you're going for.

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 03:09:39 AM »
"Hey Sect, you're at the endgame of Xenoblade! Why not finish it?"
"Ehhh, I think I'll take a break, try some other games for a bit."

Welp. That was three months ago. But right now I'm working on Fallout New Vegas with all of the DLC. Pretty fun, really, especially Old World Blues.

theshirn

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 03:11:09 AM »
"Hey Sect, you're at the endgame of Xenoblade! Why not finish it?"
"Ehhh, I think I'll take a break, try some other games for a bit."

Welp. That was three months ago. But right now I'm working on Fallout New Vegas with all of the DLC. Pretty fun, really, especially Old World Blues.
OWB is one of the best experiences I've ever had in a game.  So much fun.

Pillars of Eternity came out today.  That basically sums me up for the next few weeks :V

Sahgren

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Going more than a little stir-crazy waiting for Bloodborne to arrive, so I started a run on its spiritual predecessor, Demon's Souls. I suck at this game now.  :colonveeplusalpha:

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
Tetris: The Grand Master 3 - Terror Instinct

It's even more terrifying to actually play especially when you've barely picked up Tetris during the last several years of your life