Author Topic: Boards are exploding! This is unprecedented serious affair.  (Read 36324 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Boards are exploding! This is unprecedented serious affair.
« on: April 21, 2009, 05:42:02 AM »
Or we just upgraded.

Hold onto your hats (and reregister).  We're moving over various topics.

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
Re: Boards are exploding! This is unprecedented serious affair.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:02:49 AM »
aye aye monte capi-tan! ^^ This new look looks sleeker i like it hehe.
*sigh* gotta make a new sig and new profile pic now but its all gravy I'm sure you guys have WAY more work to do than just that XD
After reading the "Guys, Shrinmaiden sucks now" thread I'll be the first to say
Mods, Admins, Idiots, we may be ungrateful but some of us actually give a dam and I thank you all ^_^
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 06:05:08 AM »
That's good. For a second there I thought the topics had to start all over again. (Not that I had one in the first place >_>;;)

Anyways, some might as well get some work, like the Touhou links sticky. It's not updated AFAIK.

Powerup punchin'!

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:07:50 AM »
Damn.  Oh well, at least the boards look nicer.  And yay, we can do custom titles (for now I guess)!  And yeah, the links section definitely needs updating.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:15:12 AM »
I'm only copy/pasting the first post of stickies. If there are more links to be had, feel free to slap them in the topic, because it's open.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:29:55 AM »
Quote from: truncated title
Boards are exploding...

With the sound of music

Elixir

• I am an insufferable jerk.
    • タンブルウィード
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 07:29:02 AM »
This should be transferred. I can't get the BBcode since it's read-only, though.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 08:19:02 AM »
This should be transferred. I can't get the BBcode since it's read-only, though.

http://pastebin.com/m5f6524f1

You can do the honors.

Elixir

• I am an insufferable jerk.
    • タンブルウィード
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:29:14 AM »
I really thought all the replays were lost forever. Apparently not, since I found them on my external HDD.

Thread's back up.

Winane

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 10:07:49 PM »
Before exploding the old boards, how about giving guest access to the Unlimited GameWorks board, so that the Internet Archive can archive it?  (Always wondered why it was members-only in the first place.)

Also, how big (in terms of file size) is the old forum's database?  If there's an adequately convenient way to strip all personal and confidential information from it (passwords, contact info, personal messages, staff forums, and whatever), might be nice to zip it up and upload it to MediaFire, or something, just so users can make sure we haven't permanently lost anything.  I think that'd be a whole lot more efficient than making the user wget the whole thing (though I guess that's about to be a moot point).

Thirdly, how about copying over the old board's favicon.ico?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »
1) No
2) We're saving the DB, but not releasing it publicly, there's too much personal stuff and would be too much of an effort
3) Can't at the moment, I put it in the root but to make the software actually push the icon would require some coding effort that would be better spent fixing real bugs.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Winane

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 12:09:52 AM »
1 & 2)  Well, dang.

3)  Really?  I thought simply putting the file in root was supposed to be sufficient.  (Anyway, are you sure you did that much already?  http://www.shrinemaiden.org/favicon.ico currently returns a 404 - Not Found page.)  Well, not a big deal, of course, and for the time being, not having the favicon here helps indicate whether each of my tabs is on the new or the old forum.

Now, is there a specific time you intend to kill the old forums?  It'd be nice to know exactly what our deadline is.

Edit:
Oh, and I take it there's no way to import the IN Score Editor thread into the new database?  For ages, I'd been meaning to reply to that, but never quite got around to it. :(  Well, I hope Le poussin at least re-registers here, eventually.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:25:13 AM by Winane »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 01:58:07 AM »
Why not import it yourself?  There's nothing magic we do, all the threads that have been migrated over here have been done by hand.  And yes there's a solid time, look at the announcement, that's when the old server's subscription ends.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Winane

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 04:04:58 AM »
Why not import it yourself?  There's nothing magic we do, all the threads that have been migrated over here have been done by hand.
Well, I just thought it would be weird to have the topic started by me, even though I had no part in it.  And if Le poussin does return, he(?)'d probably prefer that he be the topic restarter.  Anyway, guess I'll give him a bit more time to reappear, and then start a thread quoting the worthy posts from that thread if he doesn't show up before [currently undecided arbitrary deadline].  I just wish SMF had a way of directly importing threads between forums, dealing with the differing user bases simply by not assigning the imported posts to any user's profile, as if the posts had been posted by unregistered guests.  Well, whatever.

...Another post that I procrastinated writing (for no reason that I can recall) was suggesting that you make the quote buttons available in the old forum, and just block the new post at the point of hitting the "Post" button, to make transferring material easier for non-staff.  But with so little time left, I guess by now it wouldn't be worth the effort to make that change, even if it maybe would have been doable a month ago.  *sigh*  Wish I weren't so lazy so much of the time without deadline pressure.  :(

And yes there's a solid time, look at the announcement, that's when the old server's subscription ends.
You mean the announcement at the top of the main board index?  I see a date there, but I don't see a time.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 05:17:46 AM »
Assume at midnight?  Whenever the host decides to shut it down really, that's the day our sub goes out.