Author Topic: 東方 幻走スカイドリフト ~ Touhou - Sky Drift! Racing ze ☆! (trial)  (Read 19581 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
東方 幻走スカイドリフト ~ Touhou - Sky Drift

Illustration: illucalab

Introduction
Ayayaya, C87 ended and some lovely Touhou games have been released. Today I took a closer look at the racing game called Sky Drift

From what you might have seen on the Trial Video, it might come over as a bit dull or plain. Well, the game is after all a 'trial' and heavy WIP. But let us not forget that Cirno Racing has been attempted in the past and that game has never seen the life. I was quite sceptical at first about this game but when it really got released at C87, it made me feel all happy.

Game modes and overview
The game has no available modes (mind you, let us not forget the trial/wip thing). "Versus" mode is the only option available, which is basically a 3-course run vs the CPU. If you have the patch 1.01 installed, you gain access to 2p mode locally. Your own driver and "car" is determined by the game randomly. Each new game has different character thrown at you. I didn't spot any differences between the characters. Apparently the developers do have some plans for this, as the official website displays Remilia and Sakuya having different stats for them. For example Remilia has higher top speed than Sakuya, therefore expect partner selection wisely per race depending on the tracks and opponents.

Controls
The controls are very simple. By default you got a button for accelerating and keeping the speed. You can press another button to take tight turns (drifting/skitting/cornering). Logically you retain your momentum and speed while smoothly taking those sharp turns. There is a button for firing your spellcards or cycling through them.
Z = Accelerate / speed
X = Cornering/drifting or reverse
C = Spell card shuffle / fire
V = Partner switch
Backspace = View rear camera.

Game play and stages
Three stages are pretty straight forward but beautifully designed. Each stage contains various, what seems like, magic circles. Passing through these circles will boost your spell card power meter at the bottom as well as providing momentary speed boosts. Some magic circles instantly fill up your bar, so try to memorize them for strategic reasons. Trying to pass through them while while efficiently progressing through the stage and it will surely bring you that first place victory! If you decide to switch partner (V button) it will cost you some of your spell card meter. If there is insufficient power available, you cannot switch. That means you can store 2 spell cards and utilize them if required.

Stage 1 - Maricircuit (obvious play on Mario circuit) - BGM: Playful version of Love coloured master spark
A very cheerful looking stage with colourful mushrooms and balloons. It looks more like a playground than a racing track to me. As expected from Marisa, it has to be flashy and therefore the track lay-out is quite dynamic with a looping!

"7th place? Aint nothing a little mushroom bomb can't fix ☆"

Stage 2 - Human village - BGM: Forgot name orz
Since there is no police in Gensoukyo, street races are totally legal. However, it seems that all residents have decided to stay inside for this event. Not even a single one of them is peeking from the window. Probably to avoid getting a danmaku in their face. There are some shortcuts here and there and even flying straight through someone's house. Well sucks to be them.

"Going fast with the Scarlet Dash Spell Card!"

Stage 3 - Scarlet Devil Mansion - BGM: Rock/classic fast paced tune of Septette for the dead princess
Remilia loves to throw parties and organise things big. Well, we all know her childish and spoiled nature and it seems she has insisted on hosting one of the races in her own mansion. I am not quite sure if Patchouli is happy with this though. The stage has lots and lots of 90 degree corners and getting stuck is bound to happen if you don't corner proper. The AI seems to do this a lot here so expect easy win for this stage. (This has been fixed quite well with the newest 1.01 patch).

"Hey Patche! I'm in your library, stealing your books!"

Happy accidents like these could happen because the game has some bad collision detection as well as "falling off the level" in this stage is non existent.

"First place! Double Marisa Power is supreme!"

Conclusion
This wasn't some 1 april joke or trolling game like Cirno Racing (that too got released occasionally but abandoned). We've been discussing on IRC why the game doesn't have controls like WipeOut or Force, even though you're obviously hovering and taking quite some heights and interesting turns. The game has lots and lots of potential. Pretty much the graphics, models, BGM and basic game play is in there. So good luck to the developers to finish this up and create content. Game is quite easy as the CPU doesn't really use any bombs at you and doesn't take half of the boosters. They seem to try to fly the most efficient path rather than the most effective.

If this will be finished at Reitaisai, I will be personally purchasing a copy at the event myself!

-Helepolis ☆!

Official website: http://skydrift.illucalab.com/
Credits to the orginal developers: IlluCab
Screenshots by: Helepolis
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:12:58 PM by Helepolis »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
A new patch has been released for the game fixing quite some things apparently. http://skydrift.illucalab.com/support.html

Announcement: Doing a stream on how the game looks like in ~5min at www.hitbox.tv/helepolis 

Edit: End of Stream. Archived here: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/365025?t=6m15s
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:02:43 AM by Helepolis »

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Aren't the guys from Illucalab the same ones behind Takkoman?
If so, then my hopes are quite high for this.

This sounds like one fangame I would actually enjoy (I haven't really found many fangames I actually like TBH), so I think I will give it a try, thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:13:28 AM by IlikeBulletZ »

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
Aren't the guys from Illucalab the same ones behind Takkoman?
If so, then my hopes are quite high for this.
Yes they are.
I'm seriously hoping this game is good!
Mwahahahahha!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
IlluCab makes quite some nice games.

Here is the archived recording in case someone missed the stream: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/365025?t=6m15s
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:02:34 AM by Helepolis »

Haganeproductio

• Illusion Conductor
  • Choo choo
    • Hagane productio flavors
I played the trial and enjoyed it, but one thing was really annoying: Even with lowest graphics I couldn't get it to run smoothly. Tried out both windowed and full screen. I hope it's just the trial's problem, because I see a lot of potential in the game. Not really sure when I get a new computer, but I find it weird how I can play games like L4D2, Borderlands 2, GTA IV etc. And then there's a Touhou doujin game running with 2/3 speed.

I wonder if there will be more characters in full release. Reimu and Marisa are obviously in the game. Remilia and Sakuya weren't that big surprise as they are very well-liked characters. Plus they got their own track. And then there's Human Village track. Maybe Keine would be one possible character? And hopefully Mokou too. Home tracks are nice idea and I hope it is involved in this game like in some other famous carting games like Crash Team Racing etc.

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
I played the trial and enjoyed it, but one thing was really annoying: Even with lowest graphics I couldn't get it to run smoothly. Tried out both windowed and full screen. I hope it's just the trial's problem, because I see a lot of potential in the game. Not really sure when I get a new computer, but I find it weird how I can play games like L4D2, Borderlands 2, GTA IV etc. And then there's a Touhou doujin game running with 2/3 speed.

I wonder if there will be more characters in full release. Reimu and Marisa are obviously in the game. Remilia and Sakuya weren't that big surprise as they are very well-liked characters. Plus they got their own track. And then there's Human Village track. Maybe Keine would be one possible character? And hopefully Mokou too. Home tracks are nice idea and I hope it is involved in this game like in some other famous carting games like Crash Team Racing etc.

Same here ;_; I just wanted to play a touhou racing game...
Mwahahahahha!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Nice write-up, Hele! Professional stuff.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Fumi

• Dragon of Seven Colors
  • Disaster in Takamagahara
I have actually been waiting for a decent racing game since Cirno racing (which looked promising), however I have to say this one looks really good, the concept fits in Touhou more than cars being honest. I also wonder what kind of characters we will get, personaly the entire ISC cast would be an excelent choice, having characters that represent at least every game. It would also bring the total of teams to 15, which I say, is a good number.

Maybe it's just me but don't you think that most fangames only feature characters and stuff from EoSD/IN? I'm a bit tired of not seeing post-MoF representation, specially TD representation, Touhou isn't just EoSD >:

I have actually been waiting for a decent racing game since Cirno racing (which looked promising), however I have to say this one looks really good, the concept fits in Touhou more than cars being honest. I also wonder what kind of characters we will get, personaly the entire ISC cast would be an excelent choice, having characters that represent at least every game. It would also bring the total of teams to 15, which I say, is a good number.

Maybe it's just me but don't you think that most fangames only feature characters and stuff from EoSD/IN? I'm a bit tired of not seeing post-MoF representation, specially TD representation, Touhou isn't just EoSD >:

All the ISC cast...

That's an AWESOME idea!

And yeah it seems like most people care mainly about the Pre-MoF cast only, I cant blame them I think its a bit unfair at times...