Author Topic: Danmakufu Contest (RaNGE 13): Contradictory Catastrophe! (Judging Complete!)  (Read 46843 times)

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
RaNGE 13: Contradictory Catastrophe!!

(Name credits to Spectral Nexus)

Stream will begin at 7:30 PM EST on February 19, 2015 and will be hosted at http://www.twitch.tv/sparenofiria
Final updates to your scripts are due 24 hours after the end of the stream - 8:30 PM EST on Feb 20, 2015

**Miransu will be joining in the stream with voice commentary!

***Since 10 people have shown interest in participating, I have labelled this as RaNGE 13, assuming AAA and ICM to be RaNGE 11 and 12, respectively.

Suddenly, all of Gensokyo woke up to quite an unusual phenomena! All of their abilities became the opposite of what they would normally be! Sakuya was making time flow (Credits: Sariel), Miko was suddenly deaf (Credits: Spectral Nexus), Parsee is suddenly happy with her life (Credits: Spectal Nexus), and Utsuho suddenly... does... uh... Nuclear Fission? (Credits: Trickysticks).

Contest Description:
-You must create a boss battle (see boss requirements below) with at least 3 nonspells and 3 spells. Having dual bosses is recommended but no longer required. Midbosses and stages do not count towards this total, although I suggest limiting a midboss (if you want one) to two attacks.
-You must use ph3 [.1 pre6a] or later.
-The boss(es) must use the exact opposite of their ability while still staying true to their danmaku style. You are not restricted to the scenarios above. Whatever crazy thoughts come to mind are perfectly fine.

Restricted Bosses: You may not use the following bosses
Prismriver Sisters
Characters only appearing in PC-98

Restricted Pairs: You can do any boss combination except for these
Benben-Yatsuhashi
Shizuka-Minoriko

**Please choose bosses that have a legitimate opposite ability. -_-
If your boss does exactly the same thing he/she would normally do in a danmaku battle, then points will be docked.

Notes and Additional Rules:
-Quality of Danmaku and usage of the boss(es) combining their flipped abilities in an original and creative fashion is what matters for judging
-Effects are nice but are not as significant as above in terms of judging
-There is no maximum number of attacks for the boss, but quality>quantity
-No other enemies besides the two you have chosen may appear (with the exception of a mid boss)
-Be as true to the characters' danmaku style as you can while... well... overturning what makes them what they are? I mean, if Sakuya can make time flow...
-Have fun! The entire thing is as ridiculous as it can be regardless.
-Meiling/Komachi players are not required. ^_^
-You can cause as much chaos and utter destruction as possible as long as it is true to the character in some way and... preferably playable.

Submission Guidelines
-You should release on Bulletforge. If you decide to release your script on Mediafire, it is your responsibility to deal with making sure that the link under 'participants' is the version you wish to be judged.
-The name of your submission (project name) on Bulletforge should have 'RaNGE 13' and/or 'CC'/'Contradictory Catastrophe' in it.
-If your script crashes or freezes or brings up an error, that will dock you points.
-Please use .ogg for music. To export to .ogg, Audacity is a free sound editor that most of you should probably be using anyways.

For reviewers:
Please refrain from making videos of a contestant's entire script until after the contest deadline/submission is declared final.
Please refrain from writing publicly accessible reviews of a script until after the contest deadline/submission is declared final.
**Contestants may post their entries on Bulletforge for constructive criticism before the deadline but all reviews must be PMmed to them or be sent privately.

Participants (to record boss(es) already taken):
**For participants that have not submitted, this information may be inaccurate.
**Information here is based on what is said in-thread
**There is no rule stating that you cannot use the same boss as someone else. However, we recommend choosing different characters.

[PM] [Submitted] TresserT - Marisa
[PM] [Submitted] Lunarethic - Daiyousei & Koakuma
[PM] [Submitted] HopeMetal/Rumia w/ a chest-mouth - Patchouli & Tewi
[PM] [Submitted] Searinox - Rumia & Mystia
[PM] [Submitted] Lefkada - Letty & Lily
[PM] [Submitted] Zhan Fox - Mokou & Kaguya
[PM] [Submitted] Bob the Tanuki - Sanae & Suwako
[PM] [Submitted] Kirbio - Kyoko and Mystia

Contest Deadline: 5PM EST on February 19, 2015
First Announcement on Deadline
Judges: Sparen, AchySolrock, Trickysticks, Miransu

Please note that AchySolrock created the idea for the contest
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:48:01 PM by Sparen »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
Re: Danmakufu Contest: Contradictory Catastrophe!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:31:32 AM »
http://pastebin.com/EMPyikEY

^For gags and jokes and examples from LOCAA

RESOURCES FOR SCRIPTERS:
Bulletforge - upload your scripts here!
Tutorial - How to use Bulletforge, Code of Conduct, etc. - Recommended for those unfamiliar with Bulletforge
Download the latest version of ph3 here - Your script should run on the latest version
Danmakufu Wiki
Sparen's Danmakufu Tutorials - Currently limited, but may be helpful
Tutorial - Bosses - Provides one of many methods for creating multiple bosses, as well as information on creating stage enemies

Notes on DNHArt and DNHFart Videos:
~To quality for a DNHArt or DNHFart video, you must be using music that can be used on Youtube. This means no ZUN music CDs after Magical Astronomy. To clarify, you can use official Touhou music and most remixes without problems. Just don't use any music that can't be found on Youtube, because there is probably a reason for it.
~Your script must run at an acceptable FPS without bugs. Aim for 60. If you have an excessive amount of graphics, you may want to consider configuration settings for disabling certain effects. I have a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, and I run Danmakufu under Wine. If your specs are lower than these and your script runs at 60 FPS, then you are most likely fine.
~I will not view any scripts before the contest deadline.

Videos by Judges
**DNHArt videos will only be made after the judging period has started.
**No videos by judges will be shown until after the submission deadline.
Sparen's Livestream - February 19, 2015
Sparen - DNHArt
[DNHArt - 99] Danmakufu (東方弾幕風) ph3: RaNGE Contest 13: LettyXLily by Ephy
[DNHArt - 100] Danmakufu (東方弾幕風) ph3: RaNGE Contest 13: Liberating the Lock ~ Choujuu Gigaku Яeverse by Kirbio
[DNHArt - 101] Danmakufu (東方弾幕風) ph3: RaNGE Contest 13: Koakuma-Daiyousei Boss Battle by Lunarethic
Miransu Uwabami
[ Let's Play ] RaNGE 13: Kaguya & Mokou (by Zhan Fox, v1)
[ Let's Play ] ЯaNGE 13: Choujuu Gigaku "Яeverse" (by Kirbio, v1.00Я)
Trickysticks
DanmakufuFun 5: Contest - Contradictory Catastrophe - Entry by Zhan
DanmakufuFun 6: Contest - Contradictory Catastrophe - Entry by Bob

Videos by Non-Judges
Ephy/Lefkada
[danmakufu ph3] LettyXLily Normal ~ RaNGE 13 **Lily
[danmakufu ph3] LettyXLily Hard ~ RaNGE 13 **Letty
Kirbio
[Let's Murder]RaNGE#13 Contradictory Catastrophe-Lunarethic Entry
Lunarethic
[Dnh PH3] "Contradictory Catastrophe"
Kirakishou7
Weekend Danmaku #68: Contradictory Catastrophe Contest part 1
Weekend Danmaku #68: Contradictory Catastrophe Contest part 2

Want to use a video on Bulletforge? Take the video ID (the part of the video url after v=) and use it when prompted under "Edit Project" on Bulletforge!

CONTEST RESULTS BELOW:
Contest Results
Excel Spreadsheet - feel free to comment
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:58:08 PM by Sparen »

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:53:31 AM »
Orin sends corpses up to be revived.

Is it possible to set the FPS to over 60?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
Can you pastebin that please Sparen? That is really difficult to read and huge scroll.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
Can Meiling's ability be being British? If so, I'm totally in.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:29:05 PM by 8lue Wizard »

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 02:04:25 PM »
So many good options... I don't know who to pick.

Spoiler:
"The things that can be cut by my Roukanken, forged by youkai, are close to none!"
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 02:42:17 PM »
Is it possible to set the FPS to over 60?
Why? Just curious. (My answer is no)

Can you pastebin that please Sparen? That is really difficult to read and huge scroll.
Done.

Can Meiling's ability be being British? If so, I'm totally in.
Sure, within reason. XD

So many good options... I don't know who to pick.
Thank AchySolrock for the contest idea. It'll be fun to see what people come up with!

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »
I saw this, and immediately thought of Seija being the mid boss.

Still waiting for Sparen's ph3 tutorial to be done, or I can't do this...
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »
I saw this, and immediately thought of Seija being the mid boss.

Still waiting for Sparen's ph3 tutorial to be done, or I can't do this...
Um... you can always look at other people's code in order to understand how to control a stage... (please don't copy their code verbatim).
But yeah. It will be a long time until I get enough time to write about proper stages.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 03:19:57 PM »
For reviewers:
Please refrain from making videos of a contestant's entire script until after the contest deadline/submission is declared final.
Please refrain from writing publicly accessible reviews of a script until after the contest deadline/submission is declared final.

How about no to both points. If the script is made available to the public, then it is open to reviews and other criticism, as well as a recorded video.

~Your script must run at an acceptable FPS without bugs

Define acceptable, because you know you have a hard time playing scripts in the first place due to performance issues. What if you personally can't run it but someone else can?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »
How about no to both points. If the script is made available to the public, then it is open to reviews and other criticism, as well as a recorded video.
I think he means that public reviews or videos should be held back until the contest is over. Because reviews/feedback might create an unfair base for the contestants to make last minute changes in order to score higher. Same goes for video. Though I understand your concern.

The best way to solve this is to make the submissions private as PM and publish them once the contest is over. But that is up to Sparen to discuss/handle.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:58:16 PM »
I think he means that public reviews or videos should be held back until the contest is over. Because reviews/feedback might create an unfair base for the contestants to make last minute changes in order to score higher. Same goes for video. Though I understand your concern.

The best way to solve this is to make the submissions private as PM and publish them once the contest is over. But that is up to Sparen to discuss/handle.

This has been clarified. And yes, it was written due to your comments on RaNGE 10 and the issues surrounding public reviews of a script (which would sway a judge's opinion).

Define acceptable, because you know you have a hard time playing scripts in the first place due to performance issues. What if you personally can't run it but someone else can?
This is for the video only, not for judging. Chances are, a script will be denied a video for a completely different reason. Regardless, clarified slightly. I've done videos of scripts running at 30 FPS in the past.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 04:36:52 PM »
Thank you for clarifying that.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »
Clarification additional info about the 10th Rika contest > I indeed requested people to hold back their review-style reviews (did that make sense =S ). As in: some people started posting "official" reviews by adding scores and suggesting things. That is why I had stepped to ask the people to stop pretending to be judges.

BobTheTanuki

• Ph3?
  • What is it?
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
But what if i want to take part?:C
Can i use 0.12?PLEEEEEEEESE :V
That's a pain
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:22:58 PM by BobTheTanuki »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »
But what if i want to take part?:C
Can i use 0.12?PLEEEEEEEESE :V
That's a pain

There was a huuuge drive to learn ph3 ever since .... ever since ph3 came out, really.

I know you're quite comfortable with v0.12m, and I don't know how long ago you started, but I think, a contest is a perfectly legitimate and motivational way to start learning another language along with v0.12m. I mean, having experience in both versions is a good thing. It's how I got into ph3.

... Well, that and v0.12m does not work on Sparen's Mac. So there's that. I don't see how a judge could evaluate something that he can't run.
I'd complain about why Sparen insists on judging it, but eh...

さてさて、みんながんばれーー!

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 06:22:21 PM »
There was a huuuge drive to learn ph3 ever since .... ever since ph3 came out, really.

I know you're quite comfortable with v0.12m, and I don't know how long ago you started, but I think, a contest is a perfectly legitimate and motivational way to start learning another language along with v0.12m. I mean, having experience in both versions is a good thing. It's how I got into ph3.

... Well, that and v0.12m does not work on Sparen's Mac. So there's that. I don't see how a judge could evaluate something that he can't run.
I'd complain about why Sparen insists on judging it, but eh...

Yeah. That's the reason - I can't run it anymore.

(A new version of wine also broke .ogg in ph3, but that isn't relevant since I have an older version to use)

Regardless, it's a good idea to learn ph3. You're (Bob) already quite competent in 0.12m, so it should be relatively simple to transition to ph3 from this point.
My transition guide may be helpful at times, and there are far more resources for ph3 now than there were before.
You may also find that people can actually run your scripts without having to use AppLocale now. ^_^

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 09:31:09 PM »
Actually, can Keine be a bad teacher (as opposed to a good one)?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 11:09:37 PM »
Actually, can Keine be a bad teacher (as opposed to a good one)?
It's completely up to you as long as it makes sense. But remember: it has to have a noticeable effect on her danmaku.

EDIT: Also, remember that it's her ABILITY that's changing. If being a good teacher is an ABILITY to you, then go ahead. Otherwise, rethink your approach.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:36:08 AM by Sparen »

BobTheTanuki

• Ph3?
  • What is it?
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »

Regardless, it's a good idea to learn ph3. You're (Bob) already quite competent in 0.12m, so it should be relatively simple to transition to ph3 from this point.
My transition guide may be helpful at times, and there are far more resources for ph3 now than there were before.
You may also find that people can actually run your scripts without having to use AppLocale now. ^_^

B-but ph3 is hard!At least for me though i know 0.12 well.
Please,can i use 0.12?because it's just a pian :V
also
my friend wants to take part in this  contest too,but since i'm teaching him to code in 0.12 he will be using 0.12 too :ohdear:
i'm afraid to learn ph3(though i know it's much more flexible,but still)
I will be using 0.12 pretty long period of time so
Could you give me(and my friend) permisson to take part in other contests and in this one too?
pleeeease :derp:
if you would give me permission then i will make Sanae and Suwako
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:48:49 AM by BobTheTanuki »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »
B-but ph3 is hard!At least for me though i know 0.12 well.
Please,can i use 0.12?because it's just a pian :V
also
my friend wants to take part in this  contest too,but since i'm teaching him to code in 0.12 he will be using 0.12 too :ohdear:
i'm afraid to learn ph3(though i know it's much more flexible,but still)
I will be using 0.12 pretty long period of time so
Could you give me(and my friend) permisson to take part in other contests and in this one too?
pleeeease :derp:
if you would give me permission then i will make Sanae and Suwako
I would have to run your script in a virtual machine/hard drive partition, and I don't even know if it would work on given platform, so the answer is, unfortunately, no (unless you want one judge's score to double count)
The main difference between 0.12m and ph3 is that you need to make sure everything gets deleted correctly and objects perform the way you want them to.

BobTheTanuki

• Ph3?
  • What is it?
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »
I would have to run your script in a virtual machine/hard drive partition, and I don't even know if it would work on given platform, so the answer is, unfortunately, no (unless you want one judge's score to double count)
The main difference between 0.12m and ph3 is that you need to make sure everything gets deleted correctly and objects perform the way you want them to.
Oh,that's  true
Well, it's not so important how many points we get
we just want to take part! :derp:

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 04:10:13 PM »
Oh,that's  true
Well, it's not so important how many points we get
we just want to take part! :derp:

You can take part. -_-

Just learn a bit of ph3. You'll find that you can customize literally everything.

BobTheTanuki

• Ph3?
  • What is it?
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 12:32:08 AM »
I don't understand the rules about music.
It means that we can't use any music from touhou?What about remixes etc?

Lunarethic

• Local Trashy Edgelord
  • I can cut people with all this edge
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 12:59:24 AM »

It means music that has copyright from ZUN (or any copyrigthed music) , if you were to use copyrighted music and someone got a strike whe  they uploaded, you both cause a problem because now they have to remove their video of your script

As for me :v , Im joining, except i dont get the "plot". do i just litteraly reverse the bosses' ability? , so like Cirno using fire or something?
いつもニコニコあなたの隣に這いよる!生放送!は好き。月です~す。略してニコニャル
Learned how to use a custom shotsheet : 12/28/13 *clapclapclap*
東方謎佚光 ~ Dimensional Light Abscence Work In Progress Touhou Fangame

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 01:07:33 AM »

No, feel free to use Touhou music. It's just that Sparen refuses to record scripts that use ZUN songs for some resource use reason or something like that.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 01:33:49 AM »

You can use official Touhou music and most remixes. As stated in the OP, you may not use ZUN music from CDs after Magical Astronomy because he will take down any videos using those bgm.

It means music that has copyright from ZUN (or any copyrigthed music) , if you were to use copyrighted music and someone got a strike whe  they uploaded, you both cause a problem because now they have to remove their video of your script

As for me :v , Im joining, except i dont get the "plot". do i just litteraly reverse the bosses' ability? , so like Cirno using fire or something?

Do whatever you feel is interesting and will allow you to create a creative and fun script to play. ^_^

No, feel free to use Touhou music. It's just that Sparen refuses to record scripts that use ZUN songs for some resource use reason or something like that.

Mirans, the ONLY songs I specifically ban are from Labyrinth of Touhou and ZUN CDs after Magical Astronomy.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 01:59:50 AM »
Grr... I know who I want, but I can't think of anyone good to pair her with. I'll settle for my second idea, then. I'll probably get frustrated halfway through and change my mind anyway =P.
Spoiler:
Ran and Chen
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:05:12 AM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 02:21:21 AM »
Grr... I know who I want, but I can't think of anyone good to pair her with. I'll settle for my second idea, then. I'll probably get frustrated halfway through and change my mind anyway =P.
Spoiler:
Ran and Chen

I've removed the dual boss requirement. It's up to you whether to do solo or dual bosses now.

Lunarethic

• Local Trashy Edgelord
  • I can cut people with all this edge
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 12:35:52 PM »
You can use official Touhou music and most remixes. As stated in the OP, you may not use ZUN music from CDs after Magical Astronomy because he will take down any videos using those bgm.

Do whatever you feel is interesting and will allow you to create a creative and fun script to play. ^_^

so i can basically slap any character with any ability....I Dont Even.  ???

do I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllly have to use pre6? :L , my players wont work for pre6
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:28:43 PM by Lunarethic »
いつもニコニコあなたの隣に這いよる!生放送!は好き。月です~す。略してニコニャル
Learned how to use a custom shotsheet : 12/28/13 *clapclapclap*
東方謎佚光 ~ Dimensional Light Abscence Work In Progress Touhou Fangame