Author Topic: Ever try explaining Touhou to someone, but couldn't?  (Read 2855 times)

AMZYoshio

• Transcend the edge of Dissillusion
  • WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
Ever try explaining Touhou to someone, but couldn't?
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:25:07 AM »
Hey, anyone remember me? I'm not dead, funnily enough. Anyway, I was in the lengthy process of rebooting my website, which has been basically dead since 2007. While doing it, I decided to include a section where I just talk about stuff that I like (or don't), and Touhou became a very obvious subject for me to rant about.

http://www.antimatterzone.com/rants/2hu.html

Basically the point of this thread is to not only shamelessly plug for my website (:3) but to give a link to what may be a fairly comprehensive "beginning point" for people new to Touhou. Send the link to your friends who don't get it, to your siblings, whatever, whoever. I wanted to do this because I realized that Touhou can be a really weird thing to a lot of people, especially those not in-tune with more Japanese things, and I wanted to explain it in a much more western manner, while not losing the core of what Touhou is.

Also, just a note, I have zero problems with swearing on that website, seeing that it's mine, so if cursing offends you, here's a preemptive apology. It's not -that- bad, but, well, it's there.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Re: Ever try explaining Touhou to someone, but couldn't?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:38:40 AM »
I actually made a presentation for Chinese school as a final project about Touhou. 5 minutes, explain your topic.

And yes, I attempted to explain Touhou to a few of my friends, but I tend to over complicate explanations.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
What you've got there is a pretty decent summary of Touhou, which I may possibly even use in the future.

I personally have never had a problem with trying to explain what Touhou is. Mostly because the people I've run into didn't really care, or already were pretty dedicated to other fanbases or western stuff.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:37:28 PM »
Explaining touhou to someone who has nothing to do with Doujin culture, eastern manga/anime or gaming in general is extremely hard.

Even my elder sister back in 2009 seen me play the game and asked me: "Why do they look like dressed up dolls?". Honestly had the same impression, they looked like frilly dressed up dolls. She wasn't even commenting on the ZUN-art, just the general impression.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
How I explained Touhou to friends my age:

Me: Remember Galaga?
Them: Hell yeah!
Me: OK now I imagine it with better bullet patterns, better music, and better art. And cast entirely by magic girls.
Them: What.
Me: And it's made by one guy, who writes whole books about the cast, too. And fans of the game make gajillions of songs, games and artworks in tribute.
Them: ... That's nuts.
Me: That's Touhou.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 02:41:39 PM »
How I explained Touhou to friends my age:

Me: Remember Galaga?
Them: Hell yeah!
Me: OK now I imagine it with better bullet patterns, better music, and better art. And cast entirely by magic girls.
Them: What.
Me: And it's made by one guy, who writes whole books about the cast, too. And fans of the game make gajillions of songs, games and artworks in tribute.
Them: ... That's nuts.
Me: That's Touhou.

LOL that is basically point-per-point what i do too, but i love to add "and at high difficulties is so hard you will scream"  :D