Author Topic: Touhou Smash crowdfunding and ZUN's fancreation rules (discussion thread)  (Read 209163 times)

Drake

Re: Touhou Smash crowdfunding and ZUN's fancreation rules (discussion thread)
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2015, 10:25:57 AM »
Saijee: I saw your exchange with a Japanese guy on Twitter. I think there was a bit of a language barrier issue, so I'll give a clearer interpretation of what he was trying to say.

This all seems to center around your insistence of moving ahead with the crowdfunding campaign despite knowing it goes against the guidelines, because you believe they are outdated.

That may very well be true, but it seems that ZUN sees no reason to change them as of yet, or even hint at it. He could have very well been thinking about that very carefully after his Atlanta visit, but could not have found the time to do it. He's a very busy man with a family, which is probably why he didn't answer your initial e-mail in a timely manner. He probably receives hundreds of such e-mails every week, many of them from projects of a far bigger scope than yours, so it's possible he's only more receptive to face-to-face meetings. Regardless, that gave you no reason to go ahead with the indiegogo thing.

Putting your game on indiegogo was an unwise move for two reasons: 1. Crowdfunding goes against the very spirit of doujin works. I've already covered that so I'll skip it. But the other, possibly equally important reason 2 is that you put it on a site that is not your own and has no affiliation with Touhou at all. ZUN doesn't want Touhou fanworks in public places because you'll catch the attention of people who have no idea what Touhou or doujin is, and you'll possibly create misunderstandings such as your game is an official Touhou game, you're stealing someone else's property, etc. That is the reason why ZUN only allows Touhou games to be sold at Comiket/Reitaisai-type events or stores that already deal in Touhou games, because its patrons will already have an understanding that your game is a derivative work. Even if you say "based on the Touhou games", any random Joe could even assume that you were talking about some other game series you have made. A token "we have contacted ZUN" isn't going to cut it. You have to include the proper copyright information regardless, even if right now is just that apology.

It is true that following ZUN's guidelines is far more difficult outside of Japan. No one is denying that. But there have been successful Touhou fan events in Taiwan, China, and even the USA. Had you kept to showing your game and possibly sold demos at Touhoucon and maybe even anime conventions (assuming you could get permission), there would not have been any problems whatsoever. It was only when you thrust your game for all to see on the internet that you crossed the line.

No one wants to see you stop working on your game. In fact, if you can get a demo ready by Reitaisai, I will gladly help sell physical copies at my booth (if I get in) and even handle overseas distribution. The problem is that you seem think you have the right to use someone else's characters while willfully ignoring the relatively loose guidelines in place because they're "not fair". You have to work within the boundaries that have been laid out. If anything, doing so would've been even MORE impressive and reflected well on the western community, because it would've been proof that there are those who understand doujin culture despite not living in Japan. My advice is to end the crowdfunding drive immediately, apologize, and go back to what you've been doing. There's still time to save face and the hard work you've invested thus far.

I'll clarify any points I might not have gone into enough detail, but this is pretty much my final word.

And don't retort with anything idiotic like "you're not ZUN". I'm not meaning to toot my own horn, but I've been involved in the doujin scene, particularly the Touhou one, for nearly 6 years now, so I would like to think I know what I'm talking about. I'm not ZUN, but judging from past experiences and what other Japanese people are saying on Twitter, this is what the big deal is. Continue to ignore it, and worse case scenario (besides a lawsuit) is ZUN completely writes off everything east of the Pacific.
oh my god n-forza all of my upvotes, if this forum had the equivalent of upvotes

I sent a PM with similar statements and questions I think would be beneficial to have good answers to, both so people can understand your position (and how well / not well you understand relevant topics) and also for general criticism that's popped up about the campaign.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:05:47 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
N-Forza said it all. +1

If you really want to crowdfund your game, you have to drop the Touhou-related part of it and create your own cast and universe.

If not, act like a doujin developer. If you want to speed up the development, get more members and find artists to help around the web or at conventions.

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2015, 01:05:02 PM »
Saijee, what the hell are you playing at on your Facebook page?

Stop beating around the bush. If you received an answer, say it. And show the answer. If you didn't, say it, and stop making bold statements like that. Listen to what N-Forza said. Act accordingly, because he knows what he's talking about and obviously has experience to back it up.

Stop making the situation and the misunderstandings even worse and worse.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:20:59 PM by Flandre5carlet »

« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »
There's something I'd like to see clarified.....

It sounds like it's already a little too late to ditch the crowdfunding thing. They've already gathered $20k and met their goal, and indiegogo doesn't look like it allows refunds or cancellations. So, if I understand correctly, Saijee has already made $20,000 from this project regardless of how things go.

Is this right? Or am I misunderstanding how these things work.....?

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »
I'm not even sure what to say about this. I hope we can get a explanation for this because this isn't how a developer should act. You sound like your trying to create hype like in a IGN kind of way, but instead as a developer your NEED to be transparent with everyone if you hope to gain the trust of those that have experience with stuff. Let the people do the hype for you, they are the ones going around talking about it, but if you give vague information like this or even false information, well it's pretty obvious why that is bad.

On what N-Forze said about the game being misinterpreted about it being a main series game, I can totally attest that will happen. Before I even knew what touhou was my first experience game wise was the Casltvania X Touhou game, I had misinterpreted what was said and I thought that was ZUN's doing and was behind all those fangames too. So yes, it's very likely that this may happen. It may be just a joke, but when people ask "what anime is that?" then that just shows that most people outside the fandom has no idea where to begin or something else entirely.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »
Saijee, what the hell are you playing at on your Facebook page?

Stop beating around the bush. If you received an answer, say it. And show the answer. If you didn't, say it, and stop making bold statements like that. Listen to what N-Forza said. Act accordingly, because he knows what he's talking about and obviously has experience to back it up.

Stop making the situation and the misunderstandings even worse and worse.
I would like to know this as well.

There's something I'd like to see clarified.....

It sounds like it's already a little too late to ditch the crowdfunding thing. They've already gathered $20k and met their goal, and indiegogo doesn't look like it allows refunds or cancellations. So, if I understand correctly, Saijee has already made $20,000 from this project regardless of how things go.

Is this right? Or am I misunderstanding how these things work.....?
You're slightly off.

Contributions on Indiegogo are nonrefundable according to our Terms of Use. A contribution is a transaction that takes place purely between the contributor, campaign owner and payment processor. If you'd like a refund for your contribution, please contact the campaign owner directly with your request.
It means Saijee (campaign owner) has to handle the refunds if it is canceled.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:45:51 PM by Helepolis »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »
... Wow. This thread is an incredible read. And sad. I don't understand how someone can call themselves a "fan" of Touhou while blatantly disrespecting the incredibly fair guidelines of the game creator himself.

Saijee, NForza has generously offered to help you be able to sell your game in accordance with the spirit of doujin and ZUN's guidelines. Please strongly consider putting your vested interests aside for the sake of the greater good, and to avoid damaging the reputation of the WTC as a whole.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2015, 03:24:19 PM »
You're slightly off.
It means Saijee (campaign owner) has to handle the refunds if it is canceled.
Thanks for the clarification, it looks like I missed that part in IGG's FAQ. So it's handled on an individual basis then. Sounds like Saijee will have his hands full....

Whatever comes out of this, here's hoping it's for the best. This is starting to remind me an awful lot of the story of Icarus.

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
I truly, deeply hope they get ZUN's approval, mostly because I still think we shouldn't have to conform to the Japanese doujin archetype. Indie games work differently over here, and I think that both groups are okay in how they do their work. Neither method is superior if you ask me.

If we end up between "conform or no game," obviously conform. But I still think that, blah blah ideal world etc, it'd be great if different groups could do things different ways without the fandom getting up in arms. So if ZUN says yes here, it will be a huge leap. Also, then it won't provide naysayers with bigger ammo to say "don't take risks, you must conform, there is only one way to do this."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:06:13 PM by Alcoraiden »

« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »
Forth: in the off chance that this does get shut down as an indiegogo, then there is really no harm done, so I don't actually have anything to lose except for potential means to get the game done faster.
Twitter train wreck: https://imgur.com/a/gzDUt

"The Guidlines to Touhou need to be updated."
"Is it reasonable to expect that someone from USA to distribute a Touhou fangame at Comiket or Reitesai?"
"How is that *fair* for anyone outside of Japan?"
"We the west should have a right to celebrate touhou and doujin too."
Saijee, to the Japanese you're probably coming off as more than a tad entitled and self-centered.

You're basically asking the world to bend to your wants and needs as an individual. Granted, that's probably fine from an American perspective whose culture worships individualism, but that's coming off as dickish to the Japanese, which is hardly the right attitude to have when you're basically asking for a favour. Legally speaking, ZUN could stipulate that no one taller than 6 feet can create derivative Touhou works, and there would be nothing anyone could do about it, because he owns the copyrights to Touhou. Despite what people might say, we aren't actually entitled to whatever privileges he has already given to us fans. I can't see how we are owed legal, social, or ethical rights to Touhou shenanigans.

Your heart is probably in the right place, but you're handling it all wrong.

FSS really needs someone to manage their PR. You're seriously not equipped to deal with the language and cultural barriers raised.

-snip-
Amen.

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
Re: that twitter, what really gets me is people saying that only current Touhou fans should see the fangames. What about people who see the fan games and go "Huh, I wonder what this is from, it says that it doesn't own the characters...what's this Touhou thing? I should check it out." How many people found out about Touhou from the silly McRoll video? Or someone showing them Bad Apple? Or Touhouvania, or any number of fan works? Hell, "What's that anime?" can turn into "Nope, it's a video game, here, check it out!"

I think it is quite unreasonable to ask people to withhold their fan work from anyone who isn't into Touhou already, because that's just stunting possible fandom. Granted, if ZUN says don't do something, we're obligated to not do it.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
Re: that twitter, what really gets me is people saying that only current Touhou fans should see the fangames. What about people who see the fan games and go "Huh, I wonder what this is from, it says that it doesn't own the characters...what's this Touhou thing? I should check it out." How many people found out about Touhou from the silly McRoll video? Or someone showing them Bad Apple? Or Touhouvania, or any number of fan works? Hell, "What's that anime?" can turn into "Nope, it's a video game, here, check it out!"

I think it is quite unreasonable to ask people to withhold their fan work from anyone who isn't into Touhou already, because that's just stunting possible fandom. Granted, if ZUN says don't do something, we're obligated to not do it.

I think they might have been mistaken, touhou isn't just for touhou fans, but it's the issue of it being in huge public eye that is the issue. It's seems really weird if you think about it, but it's meant to try and stop people confusing fangames for offical games. Touhou is famous in the Japanese Doujin community but I know quite a few people in Japan who have never heard of touhou, it's very closed off from public eye for the most part.

« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »
ok i'm confused. did ZUN give an answer? Did he disallow this? I have no idea what I missed in the past 24 hours

Daya

• Not sure if part of the 1 percent
  • 150 Proof, 75% alcohol by vol, Minimum BAC 0.11
    • The Bunbunmaru Shimbun
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »
I can't believe I'm actually posting here. Been a bit. This is all I gotta say, and I'm lurking again.

FSS needs to quiet up because from what I've seen as of late is their  "... ego is writing checks their bodies can't cash." And what I mean by this is ... halt social media commentary until the major questions/issues are addressed and hashed out. ... Pretty much a house with no foundation is being constructed. Or a house built on the sand.

Put a blanket statement that they're trying or beginning formal discussions, then FSS needs to stop on all social media other than that there is discussion or at least attempts to discuss with appropriate parties (or their designated representatives) about it. No leaking out details. None whatever. Full stop. until discussions or major details is all done (or at least settled in enough). And from experience working in a Japanese company for 10 years. It's going to take a while for discussions. That's just how it works. Patience is needed, and the team is showing none of that. (I'll be happy if stuff is expedited though.)

That's the only thing that is bothering me. Everyone can speculate all they want. FSS though, needs to slam the brakes on talking other than statuses of whether they are talking to ZUN or his designated representative (or from what i see below, someone equivalent), and say something when it's done and hammered out (or at least things confirmed). I want this to go through, I want to have faith in it, but it just bothered me that I am seeing that kind of stuff and I'm going in my head "stop stop JUST STOP."

And I am saying this because I've had a "SHTF" situation in my quasi-professional life where a social media trainwreck was about to happen and what I did? Exercise my right to remain silent and get everything together. Once done, put out the statements needed, and then keep it moving.  And after that? I survived, life moved on, and things normalized quickly (and worked even better).

Spouting off is and has never been good with these type of situations and those that halted/gagordered/right to remain silent and kept the discussions that are important between the parties involved and then announcing? Most if not almost all the time, it works out. That is the main thing that is annoying me. The rest of the details? Well that's something I won't go into-- it will just become a storm if I state what I feel about the whole bigger picture and I promised myself to not give my opinion very much.

Okay I'm going back into my hiding hole-- I'm probably not going to respond to this. Just my two cents.

Edit: Language that was corrected is in italics. Was describing my own anecdote a little too colorfully.

tl;dr Patience and quiet is needed and it's not happening. Also I need to exercise my right to remain silent more often (hence why I have that warning of posts may edit without warning sig-- I'll post and not think about it -- I usually have someone else reviewing my posts if it's not RP related. haha.)

Edit 532523569: Now if there is discussion happening and things being said are being confirmed in some manner ... well ... I don't know! That would be unusual behavior by both ends! Perhaps there is already something being hashed out somewhere ... and well if things are progressing miraculously, we're in for a ride! Maybe this whole thing will likely (and finally spawn) some overseas guidelines.

Edit 566433445: And for the record, I am in support of him. That is the primary thing I have that I wish he did but what's done is done.

Edit 572352365: yep imma stay quiet and duck
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:14:23 PM by Daya »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
Woah, hold on there Daya. I can understand your concerns though I am giving you a fair chance to edit out the aggressive and offensive words in your message. I am sure most of us aren't happy but there is no need to start swearing here. Please don't make me edit your post because it will be half-assed and your post might lose its "value".

Quote from: akj
Twitter train wreck: https://imgur.com/a/gzDUt
"The Guidlines to Touhou need to be updated."
"Is it reasonable to expect that someone from USA to distribute a Touhou fangame at Comiket or Reitesai?"
"How is that *fair* for anyone outside of Japan?"
"We the west should have a right to celebrate touhou and doujin too."
Remember what I said Kitaen V.R.F. Silva about using the word "we"? The same applies to you, Saijee.

"The guidelines only work effectively in Japan. They are not realistic anywhere else"
Nope, nope and more nopes. That isn't how intellectual property works. I think you seriously lack insight in this whole case.

You see, this is also why in real life individuals/companies get lawsuits.

« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »
I've been lurking about, and I thought I'd mention something that confuses me a bit. Saijee and the team made it known that prices had to gradually increase for the Favorite Maiden tier because of the cost of development. But now this last tier sold for $1,800.  Does this mean they found a cheaper way to fund this character? Or was it just to grab some more cash? I know the last two guys paid a good bit more than that (Assumably for the last guy- I don't know how much the he paid, since it isn't on the site).

Probably not a huge deal, and its the team's decision on pricing, but I dunno. Seems kinda weird.

« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
Here, I'll put my discussion with the guy you were talking to in Twitter, Saijee.
His Twitter account is Yonjin, and he's a member of the organizing party (service provider) for doujin events in Japan. He's in charge of making webpages and services for over 10 years. And thus, he is very knowledgeable regarding the whole doujin making rules of Touhou.
I believe he contacted your Twitter first, after finding out about this matter. Then I tried to ask him his view regarding this.
Before you get any ideas though, I'll make it clear. I'm not on your side.
Here's another advice from experts in the field, and a Japanese one. So for once, please listen to him.

Quoted below are the dicussions, in Japanese so nothing is left out:
Yonjin
この件については昨日知ったぐらいですね

そして彼と何回かリプライの応酬をしたぐらいです

同人界隈には、定期的に原作の権利を侵害をするような事件がたまにあります。 なのであまり珍しくはないとも感じます。

ただ今回は海外の、いち同人ファンの暴走と見るべきか、東方の同人の権利について無知なファンが引き起こした事件なのか、権利意識の低さによる海賊行為なのか、判断がまだつかないところです。

Me
こういう件も前にあったんですか?日本にでも?

Yonjin
いくらでもあります。

東方ガイドラインにはアニメ制作を禁じているにも関わらず、勝手に公式を名乗ってアニメを販売しようとして、最終的に中止になったり

東方Projectの称号を同人ショップが乗っ取ろうとしたり

他にも勝手に"公式"を名乗ろうとする人達は居て、その都度ZUNやファンが対応しました。

今回の件も、ある種それに似た行為として捉える事ができます。

そもそも、同人とは本来、著作権的に非合法と合法の中間に位置する行為です。

東方Projectの繁栄は、その曖昧な同人活動に対して、東方ガイドラインという明確な指標を示すことで、同人作品を合法かつ公正に認める事が画期的でした。

今回の事件は東方ガイドラインを破る行為で、これは東方同人コミュニティとして拒絶されるべき行為です。

また、クラウドファンディングを利用して資本を集めることは、そもそも『同人活動ではない』とみなされます。 それは商業活動であり、つまり著作権侵害の海賊行為とみなされます。

Me
ええ、それはよく聞く話です。だから同人に関わる?犯罪?などどうやるべきもよくわからない。 でもそれは海外だけの話と思ったな。まさか日本にもそんなにあるとはなあ

Yonjin
ガイドラインを守る限り、同人活動は合法です。 しかし日本にも利益のためにガイドラインを蔑ろにする人は出てきます。

また、クラウドファンディングを利用して資本を集めることは、そもそも『同人活動ではない』とみなされます。 それは商業活動であり、つまり著作権侵害の海賊行為とみなされます。

Me
では,クラウドファンディング以外でもその権利のことも問題ですか? 他にまだまだいけない事あるんですか?

Yonjin
東方ガイドライン違反
・同人文化や東方Projectを知らない人も利用する場(Indiegogo)にZUNの許可なく露出させた。 これはクラウドファンディングでないサービスでも批難されます。
・Indiegogoのページ、ZUNのクレジットが明記されていない。 彼は「以前は表示をされていた」「宣伝動画の途中に触れている」とツィートしていましたが、誰の目に見てすぐにわかるようでなければガイドライン違反です。
・また現時点においては同人作品のダウンロード販売は認められていません。 これについては、今の状況に合わせてガイドラインを更新してもいいと思いますが、だからといってガイドラインを破る行為は同人活動から逸脱します。

海外に同人ショップを構えたり利用するのが難しかったり、同人イベントを開催したり参加したりするのが難しい現状は想像できます。 しかしガイドラインについて相談する前に違反してしまえば対話は不可能です。

もっともダウンロード販売は実際にやってる人もいるので、曖昧かつグレーではあります。しかしガイドライン違反で褒められることではありません

なので問題点を整理すると
・クラウドファンディングで出資を集めた。(同人活動は非営利が前提)
・同人や東方を知らない人達の集まる場に同人作品を出した。(ガイドライン違反)
・現時点で認められないダウンロード販売を公言した。(ガイドライン違反) この3つでしょうか

Me
うむ,結構多いな。説明してありがとうYonjinさん。 返事が遅くと少なくってごめん。今もまだこの件について私たちの中で話しています。

Yonjin
悲しいことに、これらは同人活動や東方ガイドラインに対する無理解や不勉強が根本的な原因に思われます。 気づいて貰うと彼と会話しましたが、残念ながら失敗したようです。

おっと

取り急ぎ、多いですが今回の事件に対する自分の意見です

ついでに話すと、今回の事件に対するひとつの解決策としては
1. Indiegogoを中止する
2. 東方ProjectのFANしかいないクローズな場で説明する
3. クローズな場でdonationwareとして無料で公開し募金を募る。
です

Me
そういえば,Yonjinさん自身は東方の同人世界の中で,何者ですか? 東方界隈が主な生息域っと書いたけど,正直まだわからない。失礼ならばごめんなさい

Yonjin
自分はただの一人の東方ファンですよ。ZUNや黄昏の作品を買い、東方同人作品を買い、たまに同人作品のイベント用ページやサービスを作ったりします。かれこれ10年以上経ちますね

Me
ZUNさんと係ることがあるんですか?

Yonjin
ただのファンなのでイベントで顔を見るくらいで、係るという程はないですね

また基本的にZUNは個別にファンと関わることは極めて少ないです。 彼の監修する本や作品の出版社や、同人活動ではなく個人的な繋がりを尊重する人とも聞きます。

なのでいくらZUNに個人としてメールで連絡しようとしても、恐らく回答はないと思います。 企業として責任を明示して窓口に問い合わせるなら別でしょうけど

Me
勿論この事は彼らにきっちり伝えてやる。ZUNさんにまでこれ以上の迷惑かけたくないな。

Yonjin
海外にも貴方のように同人文化について熱心に理解しようと努力する人が居るのは、東方Projectが海や国境を越えたことを感じてとても嬉しいです。

彼らの行いは不幸な出来事ですが、こうして貴方と対話が出来たのは幸運です。

また彼らの行いが、東方Projectや同人の文化が正しく理解されるキッカケになることを願います。

長々と失礼しました

おそらく、悪意がなかったのは確かで、彼も東方ファンの一人なのだと思います。しかし無理解と不勉強が今回の事件を起こしたのだと思います。 失敗は仕方ないです、誰でもします。

大事なのは同人活動や東方ガイドライン対する姿勢です。 もし彼らがこのまま姿勢を変えずに、東方ガイドラインを蔑ろにするのであれば、彼らは東方ファンから海賊行為をする犯罪者になります。 彼らが考えや姿勢を改めることを願います。

I'd like to translate them, but am a bit tired at the moment, so I'm sorry to say this, but can I ask for people like Drake, Forza, cuc, and others to give me a hand with translating them?

Here's the gist though. It's what Forza have said, and more, along with the solution he proposed. He also explained why ZUN will never contact/reply you, even if you asked his close friends.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this can be of help. I'll leave it to you guys.

Edit:
In addition, here's another blog that covers the news of the game.
You can see their reaction(which cuc have mentioned before) to it in the comments.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:44:26 PM by monhan »

« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2015, 08:25:31 PM »

I'm curious if Saijee is really adressing these issues or just putting up a facade to placate detractors and keep down bad PR while knowing the people who are unaware/uncaring will continue to fund his project....

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »

I'm curious if Saijee is really adressing these issues or just putting up a facade to placate detractors and keep down bad PR while knowing the people who are unaware/uncaring will continue to fund his project....

Hm, I feel as if putting out this demo is actually quite important.
If the campaign truly is going to go down and refunded then they absolutely have to show some progress that's not just a simple dev log.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2015, 08:43:25 PM »
Hm, I feel as if putting out this demo is actually quite important.
If the campaign truly is going to go down and refunded then they absolutely have to show some progress that's not just a simple dev log.
The problem is now it kinda feels like he he's purposefully ignoring the feedback, criticism and suggestions he is given because it goes against his original plans and ideas.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:46:13 PM by Flandre5carlet »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »

It really looks that way. Didn't he say the demo would be delayed due to all of these issues?

« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2015, 08:53:13 PM »
I think he said it would be delayed, then decided to cut Tensh which would bring the release up?

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2015, 08:59:54 PM »
I think he said it would be delayed, then decided to cut Tensh which would bring the release up?

But nothings been done. More arguing over twitter with doujin guys, going back on what was said about the Wii u, and generally ignoring feedback that could considered negative but useful criticisum towards the game.

« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2015, 09:22:34 PM »
Although the lack of response is troubling, I don't think it's quite fair to say nothing's been done. He could have been spending all of this time on the demo, or something behind the scenes.

Unless you're referring to the whole ZUN situation, which we are also in the dark on.

Edit* Demo is up on the main site.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:24:35 PM by Disgaeafan1 »

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »

Are you effing kidding me? Didn't he say that whole Wii U thing was a misunderstanding?! What is this guy doing?

« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2015, 09:40:18 PM »
Saijee needs to start listening if he doesn't want to shatter the Western fandom's image.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2015, 09:44:06 PM »
Are you effing kidding me? Didn't he say that whole Wii U thing was a misunderstanding?! What is this guy doing?

<rant>
I don't know? Trying to destroy the reputation of the Western Touhou Community and brand us all as liars?
</rant>

Truthfully, I don't know. I'm worried though, because he doesn't seem to give a damn about ZUN's copyright guidelines, and there may be a backlash against other developers who ARE following those guidelines but whose work is not welcomed because of this precedent.

« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »
<rant>
I don't know? Trying to destroy the reputation of the Western Touhou Community and brand us all as liars?
</rant>

Truthfully, I don't know. I'm worried though, because he doesn't seem to give a damn about ZUN's copyright guidelines, and there may be a backlash against other developers who ARE following those guidelines but whose work is not welcomed because of this precedent.

Maybe he does have something to go on?

Somebody posted to the FSS FB page asking about whether ZUN has replied or not. FSS responded with the following:

"We got a mixed response, but ZUN himself has not said anything to us."

Later on in the thread FSS expanded with this:

"Just recently, although not contact with "ZUN himself" we have exchanged an email with members other members of Shanghai Alice."

I'm not sure what this means though.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2015, 09:50:58 PM »
It means, "ZUN hasn't replied, so we're just going to do our own thing anyway".

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »
It's also means they haven't contacted anyone at Team Shanghai Alice since ZUN is it's only member! It's a one man team.