Author Topic: Monster Hunter Thread - Remember to bring poop edition  (Read 22308 times)

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Re: Monster Hunter Thread - 4U IS OUT GO GO GO
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:42 PM »
Well, I made a Gunner set that has Pellet S+ to go with the Barro Barrel+ which can rapid fire pellets Lv2.
The issue I have with using bullets is that I have no idea if I'm actually dealing effective damage. Also I'm really feeling the lack of defense. :c

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2015, 12:23:29 AM »
Pellet S+ allows you to fire pellet shots on guns that can't normally; if you want the damage bonus skill you're looking for Pellet/Spread Up. You can find that on Ingot armor, amongst other things.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:51:38 AM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2015, 02:53:15 AM »
oh, right, Ingot is exactly what I'm wearing. The terminology in this game is weird.

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2015, 06:07:29 AM »
Protip for would be Charge Blade users, change your "kick" button to start and you can use the most effective move for Guard Points from unsheathed standing sword mode without need to slash.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:11:20 AM by Calamity »

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »
You can do that anyways but one touchscreen button over r+x may be better for some, so thanks for the info!
Sugoiiii~

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2015, 07:07:07 AM »
wow they gave switch axe's axe mode new moves cool I didn't know since i kept using sword mode

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2015, 07:16:35 AM »
Something incredible I just noticed.

Spoiler:
The Gore Magala armor set has Handicraft on its Chest and Waist pieces, totaling +5 which is totally weird. The Shagaru Magala armor set also has Handicraft +5 total on the arm and legs, so to get the Sharpness boost you're wearing half and half of both sets.  To be fair, having Handicraft is probably much more worth it than having Gloves Off for the full Shagaru set, if I'm understanding that ability correctly, and you still get +6 Frenzy Res so getting the ability with decorations is totally possible.

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:08 AM »
Something incredible I just noticed.

Spoiler:
The Gore Magala armor set has Handicraft on its Chest and Waist pieces, totaling +5 which is totally weird. The Shagaru Magala armor set also has Handicraft +5 total on the arm and legs, so to get the Sharpness boost you're wearing half and half of both sets.  To be fair, having Handicraft is probably much more worth it than having Gloves Off for the full Shagaru set, if I'm understanding that ability correctly, and you still get +6 Frenzy Res so getting the ability with decorations is totally possible.

Spoiler:
Gore Helm/Mail/Faulds and Arc Vambraces/Greaves
with Spirit Jewel 1 gemmed into two pieces? (or Spirit Jewel 2 in the feet but that's, naturally, a smidge harder to make)? I know Amra's a big fan of Challenger as a skill so that'd get Sharpness+1 and Challenger+1.

If you're reeeeeeeeally paranoid Nul-Fire Jewel 1s in the remaining slots is even enough to get rid of the skill penalty to fire resistance but it's probably more sensible to just make a separate set with Sharpness+1 and actual fire resistance. :V But it is an option that exists.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 01:13:09 AM »
Gloves Off is too infrequent to be anything to rely on, sadly. Even the +2 variation is a 15% damage bonus around, maybe, 1/7th of the time.  In comparison Challenger +2 can be around the same damage bonus at a far more frequent and reliable rate, and in the case of some monsters you can even force them into rage mode. I forget the actual modifiers on having higher levels of sharpness, but going from green to blue or even white is definitely a higher damage bonus than either of the above, in addition to letting you hit parts that you couldn't before.

The general set people have been using for low-rank is Ceanataur Head/Arms, Gore Chest/Waist, and any legs with Torso Up. (Tetsucabra, Alloy, Veloci, etc.). With a sharpener gem it gives Sharpness+1 and Quick sharpen, allowing you to maintain your elevated level of sharpness on the fly.

HOWEVER: It must be said that in low rank and high rank, weapons do not commonly get higher sharpness levels from S+1. You're generally only going to expand your green; thus, full Ceanataur is also an option with its Razor Sharp and Speed Sharpen. It must also be said that higher sharpness levels are a %based damage modifier, while easily accessible skills like Attack Up are flat bonuses. Until you reach mid-High rank to G-rank, you'll probably find yourself doing more damage with Attack Up L or XL than S+1 or gloves off. If you somehow get Challenger though, that does give flat raw damage in addition to an affinity bonus, so that's a strong option.

If you didn't know, Affinity is a % chance to do 25% extra damage, signified by purple hit sparks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:06:36 AM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2015, 12:55:17 PM »
Gloves Off is too infrequent to be anything to rely on, sadly. Even the +2 variation is a 15% damage bonus around, maybe, 1/7th of the time.  In comparison Challenger +2 can be around the same damage bonus at a far more frequent and reliable rate, and in the case of some monsters you can even force them into rage mode.

Did you know
Golden Rajang gives you innate Challenger +2 and Gloves Off +2
Challenger comes on whenever a monster rages and Gloves Off is on whenever he's out of rage
E Z K A T K A

[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2015, 01:18:42 AM »
thanks for telling us about high g-rank armor we're not gonna see for like a few weeks :V
Sugoiiii~

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »

It's been a busy night. New gear all around!

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2015, 05:36:19 AM »
Welp after three days of downloading the game is mine!
I'll be posting info once I'm not on foreign terrain (AKA away from home) so don't tune away!!!

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2015, 08:06:01 AM »
Don't worry, we'll still be here and we'll be at it for weeks/months to come.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2015, 01:57:18 PM »
thanks for telling us about high g-rank armor we're not gonna see for like a few weeks :V

I forgot that I'm the only one here without a life to grind to high G-rank u w u

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
I'm still only HR2, so you've got that going for ya.

I kinda like creeping in on peoples' gathering halls and seeing what they're up to, but after like the 2nd day it was immediately obvious that I was slackin' too much :O

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2015, 07:26:18 PM »
we can PULL YOU UP. It's not too hard. Everyone's around HR4 right now so don't worry, that's like eight quests.
Spoiler:
I am hr56 though so :V
Sugoiiii~

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2015, 08:51:14 PM »
Since I blundered into it, and everyone else new to the game also seemed to be clueless...

There's an armor that you can only get materials for by sending hunters on Hunter for Hire quests.  In other words, get out there, get three guild cards and start shipping those hunters out.

Other things of note now that I'm tossing stuff up:
You can get Plesioth from fishing at the cat island, which gives some weapons and 4 armor peices that are good for capping monsters.
You can fish in the High rank village for coin perch (money) Glutton / Gastranome tuna (items) / and fish you can give to the Wycoon
Not all unlock quests have the (...) icon.  I got a Sunspot island upgrade from the Remobras hunting quest.  In general try to clear everything.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2015, 09:25:52 PM »
-Once you have access to Meownster hunters, do that every three days. It's the only way to get your palicos better gear, and I assure you the difference is considerable between a fully equipped one and a naked cat.
-Your Ace palico gets more skills based on how many palicos you have of the same type in your first stringers; getting five treasure cats for gathering is extremely beneficial I assure you.
-Having a matching set for your Palico occasionally gives you special effects; I know that a full Basarios set makes your cat turn into a rock when it's crouching with you.
Sugoiiii~

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2015, 08:44:39 AM »
-Having a matching set for your Palico occasionally gives you special effects; I know that a full Basarios set makes your cat turn into a rock when it's crouching with you.

My Ace has full jinouga and he has no special effects ; - ;

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2015, 08:33:59 PM »
So for everyone like me who forgot: You can alter your Hunter for Hire stuff at the gong lady.  So if you want to run High rank stuff to get better butterfly chances this is where you go.

You can apparently also get rare stuff like Plates and Gems from Hunter for Hire runs, so Might be worth throwing lots of money at.  Coinperch can replace the zenny after all.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
Sugoiiii~

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2015, 01:51:11 AM »
OK, FC is 4184-1997-2689, hunter name is Nozome. Get to it nrds

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2015, 06:12:45 PM »
grab your master sword and fight the horde
oops

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2015, 10:27:23 PM »
Important

The link above takes you to a diagram that shows all the possible ways of increasing your damage. It's very self explanatory and highly useful, so enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:46:18 PM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2015, 01:49:50 AM »
Alright, there's gonna be a stream in about forty minutes. If you wanna see some high end G-rank play, saunter on over to here and watch myself and three other people scream loudly while trying to avoid Ukanlos.
Sugoiiii~

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Re: Monster Hunter Thread - Remember to bring poop edition
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2015, 04:31:24 PM »
Meownster Hunter is the best thing.

PUPPET CATS
GO

Giratina93

• The Great Titan of a Lost Realm
  • Behold, the Dark Lord of Distortion sees all
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2015, 11:31:53 PM »
G-rank Golden Rajang is cancer. I mean... a homing thunderball slam? Really?

Atleast give it non-knife Touhou hitboxes and not Shikieiki death laser hitbox.
Why... why must weak humans destroy their world? Why can they not preserve that which they see so dear to them? Why must all life perish before immortality?

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
So!

Last night on the usual Tuesday stream, we heard a rumor. Kajetokun heard on reddit that there's a way to make the basarios' back mining spot glitch out and give you infinite mines (monster mining/gathering spots are only limited by the time they're knocked over). So, with myself, Konran, and Hexen in tow, we tried this out. The task was fairly simple, though it took us a few tries:

KO the basarios while it's tripped.

Result?

It works! Above is the successful run. 99 earth crystals for everyone! Great for those ancient/rustshards.
Sugoiiii~

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »
No more slickaxing for them! o/

(does it work on lower ranks? G-rank basarios is an ass.)