Author Topic: Monster Hunter Thread - Remember to bring poop edition  (Read 22314 times)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Monster Hunter Thread - Remember to bring poop edition
« on: January 15, 2015, 01:27:21 AM »
The recent Nintendo Direct has revealed that the long awaited Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is coming to the west on the 13th of February, so that means it's time to make a thread!

IRC Channel's up! Come over and hang out at #monster-meido on PPIRC!
All the Male Armors!
All the Female Armors!
Weapon tutorials and other gameplay videos by Gaijin Hunter
Athena's Armor Set Search Program
Mid week stream every Tu/We/Thu at 7:30 PST with "GOTCHA BITCH" Kajetokun

-What the hell is Monster Hunter?
Monster Hunter is the ur-example of the hunting genre game, where the focus is on small humans, big weapons, and bigger monsters. Parts and drops are taken from your kills to make better weapons and armor so you can hunt bigger monsters, and generally speaking there's no 'class'; your abilities are completely defined by what equipment you're wearing. You choose a quest, prepare for it, embark, and take out your target! The flexible, easy mission-based nature of the game means you can play in short spurts or sit down for hours trying to beat the desire sensor.

-What the hell is MH 4 Ultimate?
The latest entry into the Monster Hunter series, 4U is the updated remaster of 4. Major features include vastly expanded vertical movement and two new weapon types: the Insect Glaive and the Charge Axe. Most importantly, 4U is the first localized game of the 4th generation of Monster Hunter games, and is thus the first game with Nintendo 3DS Online multiplayer to reach the West! And let me tell you, these games are a lot more fun with friends.

-Okay, so should I get this game?
Monster Hunter's about fighting bosses 90% of the time and being angry at drop rates 10% of the time. If you think you can handle constantly throwing yourself into big involved fights that can take anywhere from ten to forty five minutes, then I really do recommend the series for you. I've dumped about 600 hours into the last western game, 3 Ultimate, alone.

-What's the thread for?
Dropping your info! Leave your friend codes, guild cards, Nintendo IDs, whatever! I'll add lists for whatever data you have to give, so if you're playing some of the older games then I'll add those too. Later on when we get more people, we can organize group hunts and just discuss the game here as well. I like to think I have some advice to offer with 600 hours :V
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:51:08 AM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Jirachi

• Wish Maker
  • yawn...
Re: Monster Hunter Thread - 4U Coming! February 13th!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 01:48:03 AM »
I never really touched the series before, but I'm definitively getting it! It's getting a lot of hype, and I kinda enjoyed the MH3U demo. Some of my close friends are getting it too. Hope I have some fun with it. :3

Guess I'll stick around to know some of the basics.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:52:50 AM »
Already preordered the MH4 bundle...Then realized that the New 3DS is getting a Bundle with it. :fail: Oh well, I don't need an N3DS right away anyways. I'm all about the games, baby. Sign me up for Amra's Monster Hunting Class.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 06:19:11 AM »
I never tried monster hunter before being convinced on here to, at which point I bought MH3Freedom Unite as soon as I got my psp (I got mine really late, like after the Vita was already out)...I uhh...can't play it... It's not that I don't like it, or that the game doesn't work or anything like that...Just that even on my psp's highest brightness setting, I can't see a damn thing in that game unless I'm playing in the dark, or on a dark day, and I DO use my psp as a portable gaming device so it tends to be in areas that are well lit or possibly if I'm a car passenger during the day, etc.

I still want to try the series but I'm not gonna cough up 50 bucks again until I can be sure I can play the darn game (I don't have a Wii or WiiU, so the only new MH game I'll get is the one for the 3ds).

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 06:41:17 AM »
There's no WiiU version for 4U, since there's already inbuilt online multiplayer! The main point behind getting the WiiU version for 3U was because the 3DS only had local. Limited editions will be $60, while the normal edition will be $40.

Ghaleon I have no clue what's going on with your PSP but there shouldn't be any technical issues with 4U.
Sugoiiii~

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:36:23 AM »
No, it's not like the game kills the brightness of my psp. It's just the gamma and the contrast of the game is naturally a bit on the low side, and the psp backlight is kinda weak, and the two combined prevents me from seeing much unless it's dark out.. I CAN see when I'm outdoors in-game, but as soon as I go in a cave or something, I can hardly tell if I'm running down a corridor or into a wall.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »
And it comes out the Friday before a three day weekend.  Excellent.

Anyway I'll be on and cursing my poor decisions in weapon acquisition.  Looking forward to it (though I would've liked the WiiU more.  Bigger screen is better).

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 10:55:40 PM »
Demo download codes are out for both NA and EU  :getdown: anyone got them? Apparently given out randomly to club nintendo members

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 11:59:48 PM »
Ironically I didn't. Have fun with your demos!

edit: Nevermind: have my spares! Tell me if you use them.
A070UBHP2A6QS6S8 YJ'd.
A070EBHH1YJE4U47 Zengar'd.
A071AXP71UHMU6AT Koakuma'd.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:04:24 AM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~

Jirachi

• Wish Maker
  • yawn...
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 12:04:05 AM »
Didn't get Club mail but managed to get a demo code at /v/! Downloading atm.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 02:02:54 AM »
You need a code for the demo!? Is it a beta or something? Anyone can try the demo later? I ask cuz i JUUUST got a 3ds and dont really know their practices with these things.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 02:05:52 AM »
You need a code for the demo!? Is it a beta or something? Anyone can try the demo later? I ask cuz i JUUUST got a 3ds and dont really know their practices with these things.
For a few games, Nintendo will distribute demo codes via email from the Club Nintendo newsletter, earlier than the public eShop ones. It's only a small amount of games that this happens tho. All I know were Smash, ORAS and this?

Many thanks to Amra for letting me snipe one of his codes! I wasn't too thrilled with the 3U demo, but maybe this one will tide me over? We'll see in the next episode of ZENGAR BALL Z

pasu

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 02:21:09 AM »
Got a code from a hunter friend!

Went with the jaggi to practice bug staff basics (insect glaive does sound way cooler, I'll give them that) cue me trying to jump on its back for the next 10 minutes, hopefully I don't time out (on a jaggi! What a disgrace that'll be)

Also reminder that the demo supports both local and online multiplayer! I wonder how laggy online play is between different continents

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 02:40:23 AM »
Took Amra's last code
Thanks in advance

I'll be sticking with my Switch Axe but probably trying out the Insect Glaive and Charge X too

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 02:54:58 AM »
Geez, MH4U's coming out so soon?  I don't think my body's ready for it.  I just started MH3U (my first MonHun game) a few months back and I'm only halfway through High-Rank.  It's one of the most addictive, if not frustrating, games I've ever played.

Is it for regular 3DS or for the N3DS?  I felt like MH3U suffered from a lack of buttons/sticks.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 03:06:09 AM »
Regular 3DS.
Sugoiiii~

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:19:44 AM »
Regular 3DS.

Oh that's good.  I would've loved getting that bundle with the special N3DS but I'm poverty and I don't like the idea of trading in my 3DS and having to wait for the release.  I also have no idea how transfer of account/funds/whatever works and if I'd need to rebuy DL titles or not.

Jirachi

• Wish Maker
  • yawn...
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 03:36:04 AM »

Oh that's good.  I would've loved getting that bundle with the special N3DS but I'm poverty and I don't like the idea of trading in my 3DS and having to wait for the release.  I also have no idea how transfer of account/funds/whatever works and if I'd need to rebuy DL titles or not.

You wouldn't need to rebuy if you just format the 3DS and connect your NNID to the N3DS. You can also backup savefiles from digital games. You'd lose your progress on games that cannot be backed up though (ie. AC:NL and Pok? XY/ORAS).

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 02:27:15 AM »
Alright, if you've been playing the demo, here's some tips.

-Great Jaggi: Just go at it, try your weapon out. Great Jaggi's as weak as large monsters get.

-Tetsucabra: Uh, something about avoiding rocks. You can hit him while he's bringing up a boulder to stun him, sometimes; I think it's a certain rock you can interrupt. Also it has a huge head, so if you're running anything that can KO (as of the tutorial, Hammer/Hunting Horn/Charge Blade premades can all KO reliably), have fun.

-Gore Magala: Important thing is, if you get hit by a fireball or walk into one of those mist rings, you get this building bar under your name. You have to beat the hell out of Gore before this fills. If you do this right, you get a buff. If you let it fill, you get super debuffed. Otherwise, directly underneath the thing is fairly safe. He has a few different type of fireballs. He can fire three in a row, which all angle towards the center (in order he fires a shot to your right that angles to your left, a shot to your left that angles to your right, and a shot straight down the middle),  several close range blasts, and in his very obvious rage mode he can fire shots that go for a distance then explode sequentially horizontally.

If you enter mounting mode, which is that thing where you're on top of a monster after jump attacking it and stabbing it with your knife, do one of two things:
-if the little monster head is green, mash x
-if the little monster head is red, hold R until it's not.
Fill the bar right before the monster head reaches your progress and you get a free extended period of vulnerability! Perfect to unload with your spirit combo/charge3/golfswing/wyvernfire/ultra burst/jam session/whatever.

edit: also if anyone's worried about the game not running well on the normal 3ds, don't sweat it too much. Game runs nice and smooth like on my vanilla 1st gen black 3ds; definitely around ~45 fps-ish.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:36:11 AM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~

Jirachi

• Wish Maker
  • yawn...
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 04:28:18 AM »
Just made it past the first quest on beginner mode! :V

Still kinda lost and don't really know what to do there, too much info. The camera is a bit tricky without CiclePro/N3DS small circlepad though (which I have neither). The game is really beautiful, doesn't even look like a 3DS game. No lag either! Like Smash Bros, your 3DS restarts after you close it, seems to now be a thing with games that uses everything the 3DS has to offer.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 04:50:35 AM »
yeah Monhun demos are like this; they drop you into quests with full armor and everything without really touching on what the series is about. Use it as a way of figuring out what weapon type you want to use, then enjoy the full experience when it comes out.
Sugoiiii~

pasu

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 06:05:24 AM »
Just made it past the first quest on beginner mode! :V

Still kinda lost and don't really know what to do there, too much info. The camera is a bit tricky without CiclePro/N3DS small circlepad though (which I have neither). The game is really beautiful, doesn't even look like a 3DS game. No lag either! Like Smash Bros, your 3DS restarts after you close it, seems to now be a thing with games that uses everything the 3DS has to offer.

What I did in MH3U was to set the on-screen d-pad on the lower screen to be positioned on the right, so my right hand could use it while I move around with the circle pad with my left hand. which... you can't do in the demo but really, you mostly just need to 1) get into same map as monster 2) click the monster's icon on the lower screen 3) keep pressing L to lock on and switch back to facing it.

if it's your first time playing monhun, pick an easy weapon and get a friend to teach you basic combos for that weapon.. alternatively, use dual blades and just mash buttons because it doesn't really matter when it comes to dual blades  :V

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 07:38:57 AM »
Sorta does. Press R to switch to demon mode to fill your bar, then mash buttons. :v

further advice from 600 hours of hunting, general online etiquette:

-al gore is stupidly safe to just be directly under, but do take care not to be caught by his backflight; he'll get a free fireball from the wind pressure.
-Heads are weakspots for most monsters yes, but hammers/huntinghorns/chargeblades get priority at the head in that order; I cannot overstate this. do not obstruct them, or else you won't get delicious KO.
-Don't fuck with a monster if it's being mounted. Heal up, sharpen weapons, reload, whatever. If you hit the monster it may stagger, and if you stagger it you knock off your buddy and don't get delicious free hits.
-Try not to be attacking in the same area as an ally. This goes double for longswords, switchaxes, dual blades, and insect glaives; the wide and frequent swings of your weapons will trip the hell out of people, especially lancers and gunlancers. If you're on longsword, stick to your overhead-overhead-stab-underhand-repeat combo. Switchaxes sidestep out of the way, dualblades slide somewhere else. Insect glaives should pole vault somewhere else or refill juice buffs.
-Though honestly for longsword, you guys have it rougher since losing a spirit level means losing ALL your spirit levels. I don't blame you guys. As much.
-tell people if you're about to sleep/paralyze/whatever a monster so they're ready for it. Traps have in built pings, but I'd like to know if you're sleeping a monster in advance.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:58:39 AM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 07:48:06 AM »
insect glaive still op as ever i see

[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 08:15:27 AM »
insect glaive just gets a free, close to double in raw just from hitting tripleup buffs, it's pretty silly.
Sugoiiii~

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 08:22:12 AM »
Dammit I really want this game. But I don't have time, and most importantly I lost my 3ds. Might have left it at an airport or something.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 08:35:50 AM »
insect glaive just gets a free, close to double in raw just from hitting tripleup buffs, it's pretty silly.

Earplugs and Tremor resist really is great with the tripleup buff

That is until you go more monsters that have roars that need HG Earplugs

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »
Earplugs and tremor resist are also a +, though honestly speaking you could just polevault tremor attacks on reaction.
Sugoiiii~

Jirachi

• Wish Maker
  • yawn...
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
Thanks for the tips! Still testing out weapons. I had played MH3U demo like once several months ago, but had to delete it to free up space. Was gonna re-download it but looks like the demo was removed from eShop. :(

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 05:24:13 PM »
Here's some demo footage where I'm involved some ways in. Featuring KajmasterKajet of GOTCHA BITCH fame as the host.
Sugoiiii~