Author Topic: 朝陽魔雪城 ~ Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation.  (Read 15851 times)

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
朝陽魔雪城 ~ Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation.
« on: January 12, 2015, 02:53:40 AM »
Before you continue, look at the title again. You might notice that this is from a completely new series of games, but it is written with Danmakufu, so I believe it counts.

Only Stage 1 is finished for now, but the game already has its own menu. I want to resolve any remaining issues with the subengine and make sure that the mechanics of the game are balanced.
Also, the graphics aren't the best because I am no graphics artist and there are no sprites to rip off. If you want to apply for the position of graphics artist and get a nice seat in the credits, then PM me with a link to your take on the artwork.

"It is the day before the summer solstice, but a layer of snow has covered the ground. Rencron and Rygen hunt for the source of this sudden cold..."

Mechanics

Anyway. NTP's special mechanic is the elemental gauge, at the left. Each element starts at 0x1000 points.

• Air (yellow) - gained by bombing. More of this element will increase the deathbomb window, up to half a second (reached at 0x3000 points). In addition, every 0x10000 air points will decrease the number of pieces required for a bomb by 1.
  • Earth (green) - gained by surviving. The rate at which earth is gained increases the more you survive, and is reset when you die or bomb. Every 0x10000 earth points will decrease the number of pieces required for a life by 1.
  • Water (blue) - gained by grazing. Increases the PIV bonus from grazing.
  • Fire (red) - gained by collecting point items, especially higher on the screen. Lowers the POC.
Getting hit (even if you deathbomb) will halve the amount of each element above 0x1000.
Furthermore, a life or bomb fragment is gained for every 0x400 0000 points, and one of each for finishing a boss attack without dying or bombing. Some enemies might also drop them. Eight life fragments (ignoring the elemental gauge) are required for the first life, with the amount increasing by one for every extend. Four bomb fragments are required for each bomb (again, ignoring the elemental gauge).

Edit: I forgot to mention that when you enter a name for a replay, you TYPE IT IN.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:54:47 PM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
Re: 朝陽魔雪城 ~ Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:02:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJynrIUH8UY

I'll just put this here. It'll be removed once another version is made public.

It contains most of what I think.

There's one thing I didn't mention. I don't get the weird non-decimal numbering systems that's found all over your scripts.
Someone in LOCAA is mentioning hexadecimal, which I know no human to think in. You might want to consider that real people are trying to play the game, so... uh...

I'm sorry if this comes off as slightly mean.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »
In the same lieu as Miransu, I also did a Let's Play, although it's unlisted because of issues with the script and because I ended up being significantly more brutal than expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvVEYmXgOBs
Viewer discretion is advised

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 12:22:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJynrIUH8UY

I'll just put this here. It'll be removed once another version is made public.

It contains most of what I think.

There's one thing I didn't mention. I don't get the weird non-decimal numbering systems that's found all over your scripts.
Someone in LOCAA is mentioning hexadecimal, which I know no human to think in. You might want to consider that real people are trying to play the game, so... uh...

I'm sorry if this comes off as slightly mean.

Okay. The game is actually in my constructed language (which also uses a base 16 numbering system). Translations are due eventually.

Rencron's unfocused shots are quite weak because it's homing, but I bumped it up from 3 to 4.5. I also decreased the health of the regular enemies and increased that of the "midboss".

I also am not sure whether SaveCommonDataAreaToReplayFile can be used in a package script. If not, then I don't know where to put the call either.

I also forgot to delete my own replays. Derp.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 01:03:57 AM »
Okay. The game is actually in my constructed language (which also uses a base 16 numbering system). Translations are due eventually.

Well... just be aware that nobody is going to take you seriously if the game is the quality it is and the language is unreadable. If nobody else can read it, they will ignore it.

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 01:13:03 AM »
Well... just be aware that nobody is going to take you seriously if the game is the quality it is and the language is unreadable. If nobody else can read it, they will ignore it.
In my opinion, having a constructed language isn't bad, although it might be a bit too much to put it as the HUD of the game. it's not something that would cause me to ignore it, though.

I also am not sure whether SaveCommonDataAreaToReplayFile can be used in a package script. If not, then I don't know where to put the call either.
For this, you would have to use SaveCommonDataAreaToReplayFile at the start of the game script, such as in the @Initialize of the system script. Likewise, you would have to use LoadCommonDataAreaToReplayFile at the start of the script, as well. You can differentiate if a replay is active or not  by using the IsReplay function.

Also, I think it was pretty neat that you used hexadecimal base for the numberings

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 02:01:27 AM »

話をしよう。あれは今から... Oh. Whoops. This isn't El Shaddai here.
But really, I have written a story for a group of friends before, cataloguing the events of a lengthy adventure roleplay we have done with each other.
It involves a fictional land, focused on a closed species of sorts... As with your series, the characters spoke in their own language, but for the mind's sake, I kept the written story version of the roleplay entirely in English. Ya know, because some people who wanted to read the story might want to know what the characters are talking about.

Following up with gtbot's comment, if you want to keep your own language in there, I think you should probably make a "language" setting in the options menu, for example.
I am planning to do so with Lost the Leader, you see, but they're formal translations into other languages, like Deutsch, Fran?ais, Espa?ol... etc.
Of course, as gtbot said, the HUD should remain in English...

As I said in my commentary, I have confirmed that the function does exist, though I haven't tested the function ever before.
I'm more of a "theory" person rather than one who actually does the practice of scripting, so I'm not sure either where the function should be called.
(That said, I guess I'm neither a good scripter nor a bad scripter, since I rarely produce actual work...?)

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 02:21:46 AM »
Following up with gtbot's comment, if you want to keep your own language in there, I think you should probably make a "language" setting in the options menu, for example.
I am planning to do so with Lost the Leader, you see, but they're formal translations into other languages, like Deutsch, Fran?ais, Espa?ol... etc.
Of course, as gtbot said, the HUD should remain in English...

Glad you made that suggestion before I had to change info from multiple stages. That's why I wanted to work a lot on the subengine before proceeding to other stages.

Edit: Release of 0.02tr will be delayed until at least .1pre7 releases.

Edit lulz edition: Oh, that's why my script silently crashes.

Old:
Code: [Select]
function isHidden {
GetAreaCommonData("Replay", "Hidden", false);
}

New:
Code: [Select]
function isHidden {
return GetAreaCommonData("Replay", "Hidden", false);
}
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:45:35 AM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 01:14:36 AM »
Project update here. Instead of deferring it to 0.04tr, I decided to work on the option menu for 0.03tr while I wait for .1pre7. I can think of five options: sound volume, language, hidden mode on/off, default, and exit to main menu. Is anything else in your mind?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 03:24:16 AM »
You might want to split sound into BGM and SFX volume, separately. What's hidden mode? Depending on how effects heavy your game is going to be, you might want to have effects cut.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 03:28:25 AM »
You might want to split sound into BGM and SFX volume, separately. What's hidden mode? Depending on how effects heavy your game is going to be, you might want to have effects cut.

Hmm, that's a good idea. Anyway, hidden mode uses a different scoring system (fixed PIV; graze and green items give points directly). And the game isn't that heavy on effects (other than the circular lifebar?), so that option probably won't be needed.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 03:55:34 AM »
Hmm, that's a good idea. Anyway, hidden mode uses a different scoring system (fixed PIV; graze and green items give points directly). And the game isn't that heavy on effects (other than the circular lifebar?), so that option probably won't be needed.

Implement the option regardless. There may come a time when you need it. Originally, my projects only had a "High" and "Normal" setting, and that had to be overhauled because I realized that there were a number of things that became problematic later on, such as multiple magic circles (primitives with 64~ish vertices) and multiple ADD rendered auras.

Also, don't count on a new version of ph3 releasing. The release schedule is very erratic.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 06:58:15 AM »
Sneak peek ahead!

Edit: because moar is better:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:47:16 AM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 04:53:34 PM »
Ok so I just played the game. What I'm about to say may be harsh but I don't mean it in a way to put you don't or discourage you.

The biggest annoyance by far is the numbering system, hexadecimal isn't fun to look at for every aspect of the game. Most people don't even know what that is, or how to even read and interpret it.

The HUD is hard to look at. The font is terrible, you should really consider changing it to something that is actually decent looking (Arial, Ubuntu Meiyro).

I'm also gonna assume that the music isn't finished yet.

The danmaku is ok, you need to work on your enemy formations and patterns abit more. Bosses, I don't feel the overall theme of them. They just seem to do whatever.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »
Ok so I just played the game. What I'm about to say may be harsh but I don't mean it in a way to put you don't or discourage you.

The biggest annoyance by far is the numbering system, hexadecimal isn't fun to look at for every aspect of the game. Most people don't even know what that is, or how to even read and interpret it.

The HUD is hard to look at. The font is terrible, you should really consider changing it to something that is actually decent looking (Arial, Ubuntu Meiyro).

I'm also gonna assume that the music isn't finished yet.

The danmaku is ok, you need to work on your enemy formations and patterns abit more. Bosses, I don't feel the overall theme of them. They just seem to do whatever.

I'm assuming v0.02tr, right?

If you haven't seen the sneak peek, then you can see that it's possible to customize the base and font depending on the language. But Consolas looks better than Arial IMO (I tried changing the font).

And if the music doesn't sound finished, then it probably needs some work as well.

0.02tr's boss patterns actually seem more unified to me than what I have right now. Maybe you should try looking for the overall theme, and if you tell me what in particular bothers you, I'll be able to improve the patterns more easily.

edit: v0.03tr is out!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:12:11 PM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 03:06:37 AM »
Project Update.

If you haven't noticed, 0.03tr was released, and I'm working on 0.04tr, which includes not only Spell Practice but also the remaining two shot types.

Rencron B

Unfocused shot: Steel Arrows. Unlike A's unfocused, these aren't homing. There are three lines: the center aims dead center, the left rightward, and the right leftward.
Focused shot: Throwing Needles. Several columns of light yellow needles aimed straight up.
Bomb: Fantastic Great Sword. A sword spins where the player was at activation and wipes out the surrounding bullets and damages the surrounding enemies.

Rygen B

Unfocused shot: Arcane Mirror. Seven separate waves of shots, with great spread.
Focused shot: Wave-Particle Artillery. Shoots curvy lasers which, after some time, disintegrate into bullets.
Bomb: Spectrum Quake. The player shoots stars. Is supposed to be weak and have a short invincibility frame; however, it deals full damage to all enemies, even those that ordinarily resist bombs.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »
Artwork post - because we can't have people beheading Rencron and taking a sip

If you want to volunteer to do the art, then please submit your take on one of the graphics. (Don't do Rencron yet. I'm not satisfied with the current design.)

Note:

• Don't make assumptions about gender (i. e.
    Spoiler:
    pettanpettantsurupettan
    ). Because you might get it wrong.
  • I can't pay you for the art. Sorry if this is a dealbreaker.
  • If you accept the offer, then I expect you to do the rest of the artwork.

If no results, then I'll either draw them myself horribly or use something such as Walfas for them.

Edit: new sneak peek: Stage 2 boss + Overdrive!
(pichun)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:53:05 AM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 05:55:07 AM »
I've now given up on finding an artist, since chances are that no one would work for free. I've managed to become a decent drawer, though - not nearly as great as what I could have commissioned, but more refined than the original art.

The obligatory "halfway trial version" will be released on April 1.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »
Trial version is now released.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 09:07:41 PM »
Update:

This is, as you know, the music room. A PITA to translate into a constructed language.

This is the manual. Read it.

I've done the stage 7 themes. I just need to do the art, then yet again work on another boss, this time centered around the element of earth!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:55:17 AM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 01:55:30 AM »

BGM titles, man.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 02:37:53 AM »
that text hurts my eyes.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
that text hurts my eyes.

After the lack of people to point out that I would never do something like this, I proudly announce that the previous picture was a hoax.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »
After the lack of people to point out that I would never do something like this, I proudly announce that the previous picture was a hoax.

To be honest, most of us thought it was legitimate, because that's what we have come to expect after seeing the existing graphics and text...

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
To be honest, most of us thought it was legitimate, because that's what we have come to expect after seeing the existing graphics and text...

Heh? Text objects everywhere and out of the blue, using graphics for the BGM titles? You should probably explain your reasoning.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

TalosMistake

• Master of Aura and Shade
  • I'm Talos, not Talo~~
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
What is a point of posting a hoax in your thread? :V

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 01:15:23 AM »
What is a point of posting a hoax in your thread? :V

Think of it as a late April Fool's.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 09:04:26 AM »
Think of it as a late April Fool's.

I think maybe it would be better to share some screen shots that you're proud of rather than do a hoax bgm list with a terrible font?

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 02:02:44 AM »
I think maybe it would be better to share some screen shots that you're proud of rather than do a hoax bgm list with a terrible font?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 02:42:16 AM »
Explain to me the reason to have "hoax" screenshots?

And I don't think anyone knows you enough to know that you wouldn't do it :/

Anyway the new stuff looks pretty nice.