Author Topic: Is it wrong to do this?  (Read 2443 times)

Tribow

• pichuun
Is it wrong to do this?
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:19:09 PM »
Sorry if this is wrong section, I had no idea where to put this thread
Anyway,

I've been making a game for a while. It's not a touhou fangame, but it is bullet-hell.
While I've been making the game I've used music from doujin circles that are remixes of the touhou songs.

I do plan on asking their permission and to put them in the credits, but I'm still not sure if it would be okay to do this.
Would it be wrong to use a touhou doujin circle's music in a non-touhou game?

And even if I could, the biggest problem would be the language barrier.  I don't know much of japanese and I certainly can't read it, and so far my only way of contacting any of them is through twitter.
The only person who I have permission from is JustSomeRandomMusician, but not anyone else.

I'm afraid of doing something drastically wrong music-wise in this game, so if anyone could confirm that I'm not being an idiot I thank you.
also if anyone could help with language barrier that would be nice : 3
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:21:54 PM by Tribow »

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

Re: Is it wrong to do this?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »
It's not wrong but you can expect people to criticize you for using Touhou arranges exclusively in a game that's not related to Touhou at all, because that's kinda silly. You can also expect a few nos from arrangers if they respond at all.

It would be better if you used arranged versions of music from other games too. At least then you could give the excuse that you want your game's soundtrack to be a tribute to shmups in general.

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 01:34:28 AM »
Hm that makes sense, I guess I'll do that.

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »
You could always ask like Bigode said, but you'll need to find someone to help you with the question/answer translation.

Not directly related to you Tribow, just generally, lately I've been detecting a bit more non-Touhou shmup style development than actual Touhou derived games. No problem to me, but with such questions I am often pondering whether to move the thread(s) or not.

I'll just leave it be for now as your question is general and informative so perhaps it might be useful for others when they read it :)

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:45:09 PM »
I was actually going to ask a very similar question, so I guess I'll just ask it here.
What if the game I'm making is a Touhou fangame?
Now, I understand that ideally I should always ask for permission to use circles' music, but as has been pointed out, that can be quite difficult and bother the circle unnecessarily.
There are also different situations - for example, I've seen plenty of videos on Youtube of people showcasing their Danmakufu scripts with some Touhou remix playing in the background - of course, the circle who originally produced the music would probably think nothing of it even if they found out. Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, if you were making a fangame to sell at Reitaisai or something, of course asking for the circle's permission would be non-negotiable. So my question is - where would you draw the line? At what point can you (well, me):
 1. Just use the music and not worry about permission (but give credit of course)
 2. At least try to contact the circles, but not worry too much if it doesn't go through
 3. Try to contact the circles and only go through with their consent
 4. Just not use the circles' music at all
?