Author Topic: The Yurikuma Arashi thread will eat you!  (Read 17897 times)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
The Yurikuma Arashi thread will eat you!
« on: January 07, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »

You think you're ready for Kunihiko Ikuhara's latest wild ride? You bet your ass you're not.
Directed by the mastermind behind Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum, we're thrust into a setting where bears and humans are separated by a seemingly insurmountable wall, after... an asteroid exploded and caused all bears to wage delicious war on humankind? Yeah, this is pretty weird.
Join us as student Tsubaki Kureha tries to not give up on love! And uh... to not get eaten? To search what she desires? To not fall down the stairs again? I dunno, man.

Re: The Yurikuma Arashi thread will eat you!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:17:02 PM »
gao gao delicious honey

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
NO ONE SURVIVED... THE LESBIAN BEAR STORM

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Drake

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:04:03 AM »
Directed by the mastermind behind Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum
I KNEW IT

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 02:14:40 AM »
I'll finish Utena some year. I'll try another thing from him if there's even a chance it will be like that but actually polished.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 02:31:20 AM »
Been anticipating this ever since "Penguinbear" was revealed like two years ago. Not disappointed so far (not that I expected to be).

Let's also not forget that this is also a collaboration with Akiko Morishima too, who did the character design as well as the manga (which is apparently entirely different from the anime). She's by far my favorite yuri mangaka. :D

EDIT: also oh god please give me the full single of the OP I love it so much

I know a lot of people don't dig the whole harsh whisper style of singing but dear god this song is wonderful
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:37:35 AM by Madoka Kanamatsuri »

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 03:05:06 AM »
So basically, this show is going to be Ikuhara's standard overwrought histrionic symbolism with yuri.

This thing is being over-hyped why? Because I'm not seeing the hype. I am seeing Ikuhara furiously masturbating to his own pretentiousness on-screen, however, and I'm really sorry, but that doesn't sound like a good show to me.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 03:09:10 AM »
Okay. Have fun not watching it then?

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 03:40:49 AM »
Well, everyone and their mother is treating this show like it's the second coming of Jesus, so I thought I might as well put in my input. The only good part was with the three bishies, but otherwise...I didn't feel it one bit. I don't like yuri at all, and even though I like pretentious wankfests this show is just absurd with the pretentious wankery.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 03:43:57 AM »
Chagen.

We banned you once for being Chagen.

Please refrain from continuing to be Chagen, effective immediately.

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 03:56:26 AM »
Okay fine...I wont go in this thread again.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 05:06:21 AM »
Outbursts like Razzi Zadhna's were probably what kept me from deleting my account on this site.
It's nice that the community's open enough to invite friction that isn't just drama or attention whoring, but legitimate disenchantment or disapproval.

In any case, I'm not familiar with Kunihiko Ikuhara, but I did like this first episode.
Spoiler:
Surreal background art and pretty well-done criminal scene with the little number signs for evidence.
Also, how, when the bears snipped the heads off of all those flowers in the garden bed, the girls, rather than panicking or crying in each others arms, actually resolved to replant them. Very awesome.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »
I'm giving Yuri Kuma Arashi the same shot I did as Utena and Penguindrum.  I'll be honest - I see why people like them but Ikuhara's previous works just seem to be excuses to couch storytelling in symbolism. 

I am no king of literary criticism so I won't try to draw comparisons, simply because I can't think of parallel works.  It's just that to me, it seems like it's consistently overkill. 

I gave Utena 10-11 eps, Penguindrum 6ish, I think.  It just seemed like it was too heavy on Things Being Symbolic and less on characters being human.  Maybe I missed something, maybe it's the symbolism itself that's the story, but I don't really see it.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 05:34:44 PM »
I'm giving Yuri Kuma Arashi the same shot I did as Utena and Penguindrum.  I'll be honest - I see why people like them but Ikuhara's previous works just seem to be excuses to couch storytelling in symbolism. 

I am no king of literary criticism so I won't try to draw comparisons, simply because I can't think of parallel works.  It's just that to me, it seems like it's consistently overkill. 

I gave Utena 10-11 eps, Penguindrum 6ish, I think.  It just seemed like it was too heavy on Things Being Symbolic and less on characters being human.  Maybe I missed something, maybe it's the symbolism itself that's the story, but I don't really see it.
I've had a very similar experience. Utena's been forced on me so much I haven't been able to stomach it past the first few episodes. Part of it was Things Being Symbolic and the rest is some rather unfortunate peer pressure.

This sounds silly based on the description and doesn't (seem to) come with weighty sociopolitical commentary.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Edible

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »
I choose to ignore all symbolism and instead it's about bears eating people.

Literallly attack on titan, but with bears, you see.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »
SIE SIND DAS BEAR UND WIR SIND DIE LESBIAN

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Edible

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »
SIE SIND DAS BEAR UND WIR SIND DIE LESBIAN

That day, the human race remembered: the terror of being molested by them, and the shame of being held captive in an all-girls high school.

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 09:09:20 PM »
Okay after the first episode I think this is definitely not for me.  Not enough free time to debate metaphor in my life. 

I'm just gonna watch Yuki Yuna and Shirobako, having spent too much time on Reconguista in G this season.

Edible

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »
Reconguista in G

I am so sorry for your loss.

(I'm watching the rest of it because it is a fantastic excuse to drink a lot)

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
I thought your excuse was "I inhaled oxygen today"

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 10:19:14 PM »
I just figured that anything with bears and lesbians is a show I should at least check out.

So far it's good, although I can't tell if there's symbolism I'm missing or the show's just that surreal.
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Talking to yourself isn't a sign of madness. Expecting a reply is.
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 12:07:01 AM »
A sizable portion of Ikuhara's Symbolic Things are less of "this has a deeper meaning" and more of "this looks cool". Don't get me wrong, he has some pretty clever stuff in his work, but not everything he throws on the screen is symbolism. I don't know, maybe I'm just dumb and everything is deep and it's all been flying over my head.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 01:14:21 AM »
A lot of Ikuhara's work, especially Penguindrum and Yuri Kuma Arashi, revolves around a combination of symbolism and surrealism (at least I'm predicting the hell out of that for Lesbears). Some of it exists to serve a point through metaphors, the rest is just weird and outlandish because Ikuhara himself is a weird and outlandish guy. Consider it his style.

On the surface, Penguindrum makes little sense, unless you analyze the symbolism. To some it is rather pretentious, but for a lot of us, the interpretation is part of the fun. It's like reading poetry-- interpretations vary from person to person. And I think that's kind of the point: you get out of it what you want to get out of it.

Penguindrum was bizarre as all hell but a lot of it revolved around the concept of what makes a family (
Spoiler:
Shouma, Kanba, and Himari lived as a family of siblings, but in reality there was no blood relation between them. Meanwhile, Kanba was Masako's brother by blood, but for much of the series they were adversaries. A lot of this was due their memories being messed up, but even after they get those memories back, Shouma, Kanba, and Himari still all love each other as siblings
) as well as the concept of "should children be compelled to atone for the sins of their parents" (
Spoiler:
Shouma and Kanba's parents were responsible for terrorist attacks when the boys were kids, and they felt responsible for their parents' actions, and considering Himari's failing health and imminent death(s) as their punishment
), and also the notion of whether or not fate and destiny are real-- and if they are, is it a good or a bad thing? Is it something to be anticipated and accepted, or resisted and defied? Everyone in Penguindrum is so delightfully messed up and I enjoyed it immensely for being able to analyze the characters' thought processes on life.

The Penguin aesthetic though? That's just one thing I never read anything from beyond "Ikuhara is being silly". You have to remember this is the dude who turned half the cast of Utena into cars for the sake of a metaphor.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:16:15 AM by Madoka Kanamatsuri »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 01:50:12 AM »
Hm. Maybe I should give Penguindrum another day in court.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 03:12:44 AM »
Hm. Maybe I should give Penguindrum another day in court.

I may not be a fan of these shows and/or Ikuhara but after WELCOME TO ROCK AND ROLL NIGHT, the court thing was dumb :-( 

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 04:52:30 AM »
I like the Shoujo aesthetic of Utena a lot, and it hit a zenith for me during that filler arc with the haunted dorm and the coffins and that guy with the black rose. That all turned out to be basically time-wasting gibberish in the end unfortunately even within the context of a show that's basically just time-wasting gibberish as far as I can tell anyway. But as it was ongoing it was Weird Fiction in upper case in the best way, in that it seemed to have internal logic but that logic wasn't fully clear to the audience and didn't need to be to tell the story. That is possibly my favorite kind of storytelling, and I think I could almost endorse that arc had it been its own show. Unfortunately it was floating in a sea of re-used (if pretty great, the first ten times) animation and endlessly looping plot points so it's not really worth the amount of digging it takes to get to. I'm told the Utena movies are where it's at though, so eventually I'll get to those and find out if that's true. And that's my nearly-unrelated piece on Utena. So, uh, I'm gonna go watch the show in question if I can get my streaming to buffer, which seems like a tall order right now.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 05:52:50 AM »
The Black Rose arc was neither filler nor gibberish, though. It was all about character development, and the symbolism is so obvious that there are, in at least two moments I recall, LITERALLY flashing arrows pointing at it. Mikage is manipulating people into trying to defeat Anthy so he can make his dying friend Mamiya the new Rose Bride-- and he does a lot of this manipulation by drawing out the worst in people-- their weaknesses, their insecurities, their flaws-- and they basically face their weakness to either overcome it or be defeated. There are lots of references to metamorphosis in the arc as well, as seen by the larva/cocoon/butterfly pictures-- and the progress is generally seen going forward or backward based on whether or not a character is growing or regressing. One of the climaxes of the arc is through Utena's own growth, in which her strength as a person comes from herself rather than relying solely on Anthy, and this is shown by having the sword that Utena usually draws from Anthy knocked away, leaving her defenseless. Just as she's about to be defeated, the roles are reversed and Anthy draws the sword from Utena, and achieves victory through power in which she herself is the source.

Also, the coffins represent stasis or empty motion in context of character growth. It's a dark, secure place, but you'll never grow as a person if you remain trapped within your own hesitance or refusal to step forward.

I may be off on a few things there, it's been a few years since I've watched Utena, but my point is that a lot of things in Utena actually does make sense if you watch it all and piece it all together. A habit Ikuhara seems to have is allowing viewers to make their own interpretations or analyses without giving context right away-- but gives pieces of the context in small doses the farther you get into the series. The same goes for Penguindrum. The first half of Penguindrum is nonsensical and absurd, but then episode 12 happens and then the floodgates of context begin to open.

In other words, while the show is airing, enjoy the ride for what it is and have fun making sense of it as you please. Things will make more sense as context is given.

By the way, there's only one Utena movie, and it won't make a single ounce of sense to you if you haven't seen the ending to the anime. (Think of it as a New Game+ for a certain character in the series.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:57:35 AM by Madoka Kanamatsuri »

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 06:02:30 AM »
"should children be compelled to atone for the sins of their parents"

I want to note that Penguindrum was also more broadly about adults screwing up children's lives and those children dealing with that, which is why I almost stopped watching it because I got so angry.

I enjoy surrealism a lot though, so I will be watching Yurikuma, though I have to wait till my friend and wife are available so I'll probably be at least a week behind the thread.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 06:05:20 AM »
Definitely that too. I just didn't want to go into detail on that one because holy shit. .____.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »
The Black Rose arc was neither filler nor gibberish, though. It was all about character development, and the symbolism is so obvious that there are, in at least two moments I recall, LITERALLY flashing arrows pointing at it. Mikage is manipulating people into trying to defeat Anthy so he can make his dying friend Mamiya the new Rose Bride-- and he does a lot of this manipulation by drawing out the worst in people-- their weaknesses, their insecurities, their flaws-- and they basically face their weakness to either overcome it or be defeated. There are lots of references to metamorphosis in the arc as well, as seen by the larva/cocoon/butterfly pictures-- and the progress is generally seen going forward or backward based on whether or not a character is growing or regressing. One of the climaxes of the arc is through Utena's own growth, in which her strength as a person comes from herself rather than relying solely on Anthy, and this is shown by having the sword that Utena usually draws from Anthy knocked away, leaving her defenseless. Just as she's about to be defeated, the roles are reversed and Anthy draws the sword from Utena, and achieves victory through power in which she herself is the source.

Also, the coffins represent stasis or empty motion in context of character growth. It's a dark, secure place, but you'll never grow as a person if you remain trapped within your own hesitance or refusal to step forward.

I may be off on a few things there, it's been a few years since I've watched Utena, but my point is that a lot of things in Utena actually does make sense if you watch it all and piece it all together. A habit Ikuhara seems to have is allowing viewers to make their own interpretations or analyses without giving context right away-- but gives pieces of the context in small doses the farther you get into the series. The same goes for Penguindrum. The first half of Penguindrum is nonsensical and absurd, but then episode 12 happens and then the floodgates of context begin to open.

In other words, while the show is airing, enjoy the ride for what it is and have fun making sense of it as you please. Things will make more sense as context is given.

Maybe I was unclear, I don't think anything in particular in Utena literally doesn't make sense. Enough of the symbolism is blunt enough that it's clear what everything is supposed to be, not to mention that the plot literally is explained and does make sense without any of the supernatural elements. I meant "gibberish", probably inaccurately, in the sense that as soon as that arc ends it retcons itself out of the show, meaning that everything that happens during it retroactively doesn't matter and was a waste of time.

I quit watching for like six months because I was not too happy to see that the substantial chunk of time I invested in watching, and enjoying, that arc was actually dismissed as basically meaningless by the show itself, which already has a lot of arguably meaningless content by virtue of the fact that much of it is just the same episode on a loop with no new developments. That in itself has some meaning of course, but the number of times it's necessary to do that is up for debate, and I would argue it's far less than the show decided to go for.

Of course I haven't finished watching yet, so maybe I'm wrong about all of this and the Black Rose arc does actually matter and I just haven't seen the impact yet, but for all intents up to what I've seen it could be cut entirely without losing a single thing. The character development it invests in either refers to characters that no longer exist or has yet to be called back to as of four or five episodes from the end, but I recognize that that could change at some point. And of course all of the character development matters internally, which is why I said that I almost wish that arc had been its own, entirely separate show so that it wouldn't have to reconcile itself with fitting into something larger.

By the way, there's only one Utena movie, and it won't make a single ounce of sense to you if you haven't seen the ending to the anime. (Think of it as a New Game+ for a certain character in the series.)

Oh, okay, I thought there were like three for some reason. But yeah, I understand it has to be watching in order, which is why I haven't just skipped ahead to that.

As for Yuri Kuma Arashi, I successfully watched the first five minutes before my internet broke and I gave up and went to bed. The aesthetic is definitely there, which is cool. And it seems to be a fairly broad comedy at least on some level (as was Utena nearly all of the time, which people forget sometimes) which makes dismissing it as pretentious hard for me. It seems to understand what it is, and I respect that. But of course that was a first impression from five minutes. Maybe that's not actually the tone of the show, I don't know. I liked the first segment, it was fun.