Author Topic: Touhou 14.5: 東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. is HM sequel, demo at Comiket 87  (Read 798389 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Ah, a HM-style sequel? Me gusta.

And I don't know what you people are complaining about. I prefer the mechanics of HM more than SWR/Hisotensoku, and definitely more than IaMP's wacky spell declare system. It's much easier to activate special attacks and spell cards with the HM system than the older games.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
What the fuck? They're making a sequel to this shitty kusoge?

God dammit. The people who made IaMP are truly dead at this point. Looks like Tasofro would rather just crap out another kusoge and get that sweet 2hu fan money instead of making another legit fighting game. Uuuuugh.

Excuse me, I'm going to go watch some IaMP competitive play videos and cry over what could have been.

I really didn't liked SWR/Soku (I even liked IaMP to an extent) and I was quite disappointed these were the only fighting games avaible, however I really dislike when people say "HM sucks" or stuff like "what a disappointment if it's like HM"
So, it's cool to be disappointed in SWR/Soku but not HM, because you like HM?

You can certainly have your own opinion about both of those, and that's perfectly fine and nobody can tell you you're wrong to feel that way, but you have to extend the same courtesy to others too. Some of us didn't like HM and we're just as allowed to consider the possibility of a new HM-like game disappointing as you were to feel disappointed in SWR/Soku being the only fighting games available at the time...... Just sayin'...... Peace.

Here's hoping that whatever they do with this one, we'll all be able to enjoy it. =)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
I sorta got used to the flying mechanics, though I still have general misgivings about how it was done rather than having been done at all. I mean Auto-Leveling, really? Free-move would've been a lot easier to get used to, I have to worry about the auto-leveler messing up my combos and specials whenever I try to adjust for the 'correction'.
And the one-button specials was actually quite refreshing in comparison to the other fighters, same goes for the customizable special sets.
The only things I didn't particularly like about HM were the shorter timer than SWR/Soku, and the popularity system.
I like deciding my wins by knockout, not some easy way out like 'timeout', or 'being more popular despite getting swung around the floor like an old mop'. I like things to have spice~!

Basically the gist of what I'm saying is 'it had some good stuff, and some not-so-good stuff, but was an alright enough game all the same'.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
Have you tried...you know...not being overly super sensitive when it comes to other people phrasing things? There is literally no difference in meaning between "it sucks" and "I dislike it", because both will always be the same subjective opinion of an individual, or in more rare cases, groups. Being offended at one, but not the other makes no sense, assuming the reasoning behind the two is the same. Of course, it's not cool saying things like "Everyone who likes xxx is dumb as shit", yes. But saying "xxx sucks, because (...)" should not be something where people go "omg, stop being a bully". People have a different way of phrasing things (e.g cursing a lot vs not cursing a lot) and I feel it's fairly patronizing towards people who were simply brought up in a cruder way than your sheltered self. Being nice towards each other is important, but nitpicking minor differences in phrasing is just ridiculous in my eyes.

20th anniversary isn't until 2016, assuming you take the first showing of HrtP as starting point, not the release, in which case it wouldn't be until 2017. And personally, I hope it's something that reuses a lot of old, good girls. Like Youmu and Alice.

Everybody's complaining about how its a sequel to HM (well, almost everybody anyway, a fair few people),  but nobody's speculating stuff related to the new game itself. My guess is it'll keep the aerial fighting but take out the popularity. I think the flying could be a bit better, maybe make the stages one or two levels taller and make it so it doesn't force you to the middle.

The game itself is called Urban Legend in Limbo, so I'm curious what sort of urban legend stuff will be in it. Maybe we will see the return of Remilia's pet chupacabra?

Fumi

• Dragon of Seven Colors
  • Disaster in Takamagahara
So, it's cool to be disappointed in SWR/Soku but not HM, because you like HM?

It's just my opinion but I'm not bashing about those games all the time, I mean, for being the only fighters avaible they were good but I didn't liked them too much.
When HM pops up with anyone who knows Touhou it's always the same "HM sucks" :V

I sorta got used to the flying mechanics, though I still have general misgivings about how it was done rather than having been done at all. I mean Auto-Leveling, really? Free-move would've been a lot easier to get used to, I have to worry about the auto-leveler messing up my combos and specials whenever I try to adjust for the 'correction'.
And the one-button specials was actually quite refreshing in comparison to the other fighters, same goes for the customizable special sets.
The only things I didn't particularly like about HM were the shorter timer than SWR/Soku, and the popularity system.
I like deciding my wins by knockout, not some easy way out like 'timeout', or 'being more popular despite getting swung around the floor like an old mop'. I like things to have spice~!

Basically the gist of what I'm saying is 'it had some good stuff, and some not-so-good stuff, but was an alright enough game all the same'.

Yeah, the auto-leveling was weird at first but I guess you get used to it, I still want to see how it would work without auto-leveling. Yeah, one button specials was the best addition, it felt like Smash in that way and I love the controls there because it's easier to know what you want to do, the timer was never of an issue to me but I understand that some heated battles could take more than the alocated time limit :<, there should be an option to change it though.

20th anniversary isn't until 2016, assuming you take the first showing of HrtP as starting point, not the release, in which case it wouldn't be until 2017. And personally, I hope it's something that reuses a lot of old, good girls. Like Youmu and Alice.

Oh, true :v just checked it out, got carried away and thought it was on 2015 but yeah. Still we don't know if ZUN will take into account when HRtP was finished or when it was displayed, anyway next year is an odd year and ZUN recently (?) only releases big games during odd years, idk maybe we could expect Th15 too?

And yeah :< I was hoping HM would receive an expansion this year to include some old girls, the cast of Touhou is so diverse it's hard to include everyone but hey this time it could be special.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:13:15 PM by Auraldo »

God dammit. The people who made IaMP are truly dead at this point. Looks like Tasofro would rather just crap out another kusoge and get that sweet 2hu fan money instead of making another legit fighting game. Uuuuugh.

I didn't check the staff rolls but the games released after IaMP were probably designed by different people. IaMP is so unorthodox though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a beautiful accident.

The game was completed in 1995, which ZUN considers to be Touhou's birth year.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:32:42 PM by Not Bigode »

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
Awful lot of complaining in here from people that were never going to buy this game anyway.

Most excited to see which familiar faces will return, as well as which new face(s?) we'll get. Probably not 67 new faces like HM, but who knows?
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
Awful lot of complaining in here from people that were never going to buy this game anyway.

The only people who say this are fanboys who can't handle someone criticizing their favorite thing.

Sorry I hurt your fee-fees

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Pushing aside some of the negativity (not that people don't have a right to complain, but the "boo suck"ing and "ugh shitty kusoge" is kind of killing my excitement), I'm interested in seeing how this will go. I enjoyed HM for what it was worth (shit AI and popularity systems could have been way better), so hopefully Tasofro will see what they fucked up on and make something new. Given it's a sequel there will most likely be a different system in play over the popularity system, and hopefully it will go over better.

CUT:

The only people who say this are fanboys who can't handle someone criticizing their favorite thing.

I can feel the rudeness, it's that thick.

This might be educational.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:57:42 PM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Suwako Moriya

Hey, no skin off my nose, the game's getting made and I'll be buying it regardless of what anyone else in the West thinks about it. But thanks for confirming that you can't handle the bantz, at least.

Anyway. Crosspost from Tumblr of curiosities about the screenshot:

• The mugshots are new, even though the sprites are the same. hungrybookworm pointed out that they're Moe Harukawa-style. Playable 'Suzu, please.
  • The character?s names are in Western order. Has Tasofro always done this? I know ZUN puts them in Japanese order, even when romanized.
  • The graphics at the bottom suggest a return to IaMP-style spellcards. Maybe the flame icons are a return to SWR/Soku-style danmaku energy?
  • I wonder what function the beads that circle the bottom of the clock will serve. Maybe another popularity-ish mechanic? The colors match that of the flame icon colors at the bottom.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Anyway. Crosspost from Tumblr of curiosities about the screenshot:

• The mugshots are new, even though the sprites are the same. hungrybookworm pointed out that they're Moe Harukawa-style. Playable 'Suzu, please.
  • The character?s names are in Western order. Has Tasofro always done this? I know ZUN puts them in Japanese order, even when romanized.
  • The graphics at the bottom suggest a return to IaMP-style spellcards. Maybe the flame icons are a return to SWR/Soku-style danmaku energy?
  • I wonder what function the beads that circle the bottom of the clock will serve. Maybe another popularity-ish mechanic? The colors match that of the flame icon colors at the bottom.

There was a screenshot? I didn't see it linked on the site or here. Maybe I missed it?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
...Is Reimu shooting grave markers and a piano out of a gap?

Also hmm... that does kinda look like IaMP style bars at the bottom, but without the "this is how many times you can spam the card once you've declared it" thing. The numbers are probably something like "this is how much "charge" you have, and this is how much it takes to use the card" or something like that. Not quite sure, but maybe?

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
Also hmm... that does kinda look like IaMP style bars at the bottom, but without the "this is how many times you can spam the card once you've declared it" thing. The numbers are probably something like "this is how much "charge" you have, and this is how much it takes to use the card" or something like that. Not quite sure, but maybe?

That's...not how the IaMP spell card bar worked. Your charge determined how long your declaration period went on for. You could use the card as much as you wanted as long as your declaration went on unless it was one of of those auto-drain cards.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
...Really? Huh. My memory's foggy, I have not touched IaMP in forever. Oh well.

PurpleXCompleX

• Moon Rabbit
Well, this looks interesting, looking forward to it, whether it'll play like HM or not.

I wonder whats up with that falling piano next to Marisa.
Also you can finally choose a toilet as a profile icon!

http://tasofro.net/diary/view/108
So...... yeah..... it's an HM-like game after all. Im not going to dismiss this one without giving it a shot for sure but I was hoping for something different..... =/ Oh well, it's still too early to judge it so let's stay positive! =)

The spellcard system looks interesting. And it seems like they've done away with the popularity system and increased the timer duration. So there's that -- it's good to see some of the improvements. On the down side, it doesn't look as though the unique character mechanics are present like they were in HM. Or maybe they're made less obvious? I don't see anything setting Reimu apart from Marisa in the HUD, apart from her spellcard meter being shorter for some reason. Maybe it's been standardized more and every character just uses the orbs under the timer in some way instead of having custom icons/meters/etc?

It looks like this one will have configurable movesets too (probably). I can just barely make out "profile 1" and "profile 2" next to the timer on either side of the screen so some setup-type stuff for the characters seems likely.

The background feels kind of empty without a crowd watching the fight. Oh well, I suppose that's to be expected if the game doesn't revolve around popularity.

Well then. I hope those of you who enjoyed HM will enjoy this one just as much! =)

(edit -- is that a TV near the bottom/middle? The kappa sure have been busy lately.....)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:11:02 PM by Omegahugger »

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
The background feels kind of empty without a crowd watching the fight. Oh well, I suppose that's to be expected if the game doesn't revolve around popularity.

R.I.P

7TC7

• In best company
Hype get. Can already not wait to try out the demo.

I enjoyed the flow of battle in HM and am as happy as others that the popularity system and short timer seem to be gone.
Wonder what kind of story this will have. The background on the screenshot doesn't look very Gensokyo-ish - talking mainly about all those posters on the walls. Could we actually step outside the border in this game? The games logo seems to hint at something similar with what looks like a cityscape inside the spirit.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!

Stop acting like a biased Melee player and move on. You're just putting yourself on a lower level than everyone else here.

Anyways, looking at the image I've noticed some other things:
- Everyone is limited to one spell card now. I like this change. It'll be like IaMP or SF4 Ultras (minus the new Ultra W).
- Timer is still around. This is good.
- orbs below the timer? What does it mean? My best guess is that it could possibly be like the GRD system in Under Night In-Birth?
- Reimu has much less meter than Marisa. Does that correspond to the spell card chosen? If so, is the meter for spirit or spell card fill?
- And speaking of, what's the flames about? If the other meter is for spell card usage, does the flames mean it's for spirit usage, or something else?
- Finally, no character-specific mechanics are shown, at least not in the image, and I'm glad about that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:46:07 PM by Gpop »

Hopeless Masquerade had no characters in the background in initial shots either. They were added to later development builds, IIRC.

Stop acting like a Melee tourneyfag and move on. You're just putting yourself on a lower level than everyone else here.

How is he acting like a "melee tourneyfag"? I don't think I understand.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
How is he acting like a "melee tourneyfag"? I don't think I understand.
Like a lot of biased Melee players (not to be mistaken with other competitive Melee/Smash players) will bash any game that's not Melee or play like it. He's acting like this already except with IaMP, bashing ULIL before any gameplay is ever shown.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:45:46 PM by Gpop »

(edit -- is that a TV near the bottom/middle? The kappa sure have been busy lately.....)

From what I can tell in the picture I think that's Kourindou, so the TV might be from there.

Assuming the "Spell power" meters are chargable, the different lengths might mean that Fantasy Seal charges faster than Master Spark (assuming those are the cards from the image). It also seem's they're both charged to 200%, so maybe it's like Perfect Freeze in Fairy Wars in how it works?

Suwako Moriya

In all seriousness, can we please not use that term?

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
In all seriousness, can we please not use that term?
My apologies. I'll go edit that term out then to something better.

Aw, I was hoping for 14.5 to be some sort of shmup. Oh well.

It makes sense that they'd try and get some mileage out of the Hopeless Masquerade sprites, and given the negative reaction to HM it makes sense that they'd try and mix up the system a bit. Unless there's a bit more depth to how you get at your opponent and the overall feeling of movement is more fun though I probably won't be interested. I'd also be surprised if the popularity meter, or something like it, didn't make its way back in some form unless they've changed things pretty fundamentally so it's possible to crack open players who turtle.