Author Topic: Wish's Code Dump (Page updated with newer projects)  (Read 21925 times)

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Wish's Code Dump (Page updated with newer projects)
« on: December 07, 2014, 02:47:06 AM »
Hello everybody, it is WishMakers here!
This forum page contains all of my Touhou-related works to date.
Please feel free to play them!

Shoutouts to all the people who have helped me to get this far.

LIST OF WORKS

C# (ON HOLD)

Nemuno Sakata script (maybe in the future?)

GAMEMAKER STUDIO

東方封魔返 ~ the Return of Eastern Wonderland (full fangame!) (last GM:Studio shmup project)

the legend of kage (Bulletforge) (warning: major shitpost)

RaNGE 18: Return to the Demon World (Bulletforge)

LoCaA 10 Entry: The Death-Dealing Elevator Attendant (Dropbox)

OLD STUFF
WARNING: Play these at your own risk.  They are not as good as my newer work.

LoCaA 8: Resurrection of Forgotten Flame (link omitted)

The Witches' Ball: A Marisa Script (version 1.1b) (Dropbox)

Kogasa RaNGE 15 Entry (link omitted)

Cirno (link omitted)

I thank all who stumbled upon this thread and have read it, I look forward to suggestions and feedback, so any would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:00:10 AM by WishMakers »
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
Re: Touhou Raku Engine...building a game coming out soon!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »
Sorry for replying a month late - I don't check these forums often.

Anyway after reading that you also use GM:Studio I definitely had to try this game.

Making the bullets look slightly transparent (set image_alpha to something between 1 and 0, like 0.5) will improve the look on those
Fadein/out animations for texts to be shown on screen will make it look more polished
The explosion when the player dies probably needs changing - smooth edges (with alpha transparency) will help
I have no idea why the menu selection cursor can go above/below the menu choices but lol
setting room_speed to 60 would be nice (I like 60fps, and danmaku games are usually that)

A transition screen between the main menu and the game would be nice
Code: [Select]
// in a step event on an object with a loading screen sprite
if fadein // start transparent, slowly become opaque (going to another room)
{
    if image_alpha < 1
        image_alpha += fadespd
    else
    {
        image_alpha = 1
        room_goto(nextroom) // set this value when creating the object, ex:  changeroom_obj.nextroom = gameroom
    }
}
else // start opaque, slowly become transparent (at the start of a new room)
{
    if image_alpha > 0
        image_alpha -= fadespd
    else
    {
        image_alpha = 0
        instance_destroy()
    }

}

I'm curious at how you did your danmaku though. Did you use a loop of some kind to make patterns or are you just rotating invisible "gun" objects?

[edit] what's Raku engine ?

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:57:17 AM »
Can't view the game right now on my iPad, because laptop is somewhere in my house hiding.

I really want to know more about your engine. What language is it? How easy is it to go from one language to another (say JavaScript and this)?
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:51 PM »
Can't view the game right now on my iPad, because laptop is somewhere in my house hiding.

I really want to know more about your engine. What language is it? How easy is it to go from one language to another (say JavaScript and this)?

I have personally built an STG engine in GameMaker: Studio from the ground up, and have been working on something like this for a while now.
It's not the best, as I'm a mere game dev in training, but it's pretty good and I try to polish it up as much as I can.

I'm assuming it's whatever Game Maker uses, but I could be wrong.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:19:37 PM »

I'm assuming it's whatever Game Maker uses, but I could be wrong.

From the bit of code provided, it's probably it.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:12:23 AM »
Wow. Did not see these replies.

GML is the language, it's modified C++ and Java mixed with game-specific elements.  It's kinda difficult to learn, but if you have experience with Danmakufu and can figure out the program specific stuff it's fairly easy.

Making the bullets look slightly transparent (set image_alpha to something between 1 and 0, like 0.5) will improve the look on those
Fadein/out animations for texts to be shown on screen will make it look more polished
The explosion when the player dies probably needs changing - smooth edges (with alpha transparency) will help
I have no idea why the menu selection cursor can go above/below the menu choices but lol
setting room_speed to 60 would be nice (I like 60fps, and danmaku games are usually that

1, another GM STG maker! :D
2. Text?  Referring to the spell cards?  I'll look into that.
3. I'll try alpha transparency for the player explosion, I haven't delved into that much yet.
4. The room speed is 60 by default, I believe.  In the case that it is not, I will change it.
Also, the menu is quite rough.  The updated graphics version will be up at some point, thanks for the criticism all!

EDIT:  I realized from looking through threads that I unintentionally used a name for a spell card that already existed. (Imperfect Freeze in particular.)  I don't remember who used it, but I apologize.

EDIT again :V
what's Raku engine ?
Raku is just the silly name I used for an original series for a while.  Those games are old and they are bad, so I won't post them here.  However, I just borrowed the name from my old stuff.  I wish I could change the name of my post, because it's fairly misleading. :V
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:17:56 AM by WishMakers »
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:07:33 PM »
I wish I could change the name of my post, because it's fairly misleading. :V
You can, just change the subject of the original post and that will change how it appears on the forum.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:54:43 PM »
You can, just change the subject of the original post and that will change how it appears on the forum.

*gasp* My inspiration! :D
Totally, will do right away.  Thank you, my lack of knowledge with BBCode is destroying me lately :V

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Wish's Code Dump (1 game completed!)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:37:57 AM »
Don't mind me...just replying to things I didn't see and updating...

I'm curious at how you did your danmaku though. Did you use a loop of some kind to make patterns or are you just rotating invisible "gun" objects?

I use a method, as far as I know, no one uses...I use timelines to create the timing for danmaku and then familiar objects when necessary.  The danmaku themselves are bullet parent objects, and grazing is complicated.  For grazing, I have a placeholder for each bullet type that acts like a bullet but does not graze.  Once a bullet collides with the graze hitbox, it turns into the placeholder.  The problem is...that screws up a couple patterns sometimes.

-Updates :V
The updated version of Cirno is coming, but won't be ready for a good bit of time.  There are only a few things that I need to fix, but they'll take a good bit of time due to school and other projects taking priority.
Also, my music related game (Ongakusai) is being put off for the moment.  I currently don't have the time to do a full-length game, even if I did it in Danmakufu instead of GM: Studio.  It will be made eventually, but not for the time being.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 07:09:54 AM »
It's good to see a game maker game on here! I'm working on a Touhou engine for game maker too, It's still too early to give a download link or make a thread for but I'll link 2 vids I have made so far.

Older vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=442SiswwWbo

More of a performance demo here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_mtv87HyaQ

Replay system is working too but I'm still debugging it. Random seed syncs are working so I can use random and keep replays in sync. If you want I'll share all my project folder.

I had a good play of your game, good job! I haven't finished spell cards or started death screens yet.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:37:11 AM by tyrz_939 »

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 04:05:51 AM »
It's good to see a game maker game on here! I'm working on a Touhou engine for game maker too, It's still too early to give a download link or make a thread for but I'll link 2 vids I have made so far.

Older vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=442SiswwWbo

More of a performance demo here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_mtv87HyaQ

Replay system is working too but I'm still debugging it. Random seed syncs are working so I can use random and keep replays in sync. If you want I'll share all my project folder.

I had a good play of your game, good job! I haven't finished spell cards or started death screens yet.

No, your games look friggin' awesome!  Especially your older one!  I haven't really gotten power right yet, but you nailed it!
And you have replays, which are really difficult to do for me :D
I'd like to actually ask you for advice on how to do things for when I make more games, and I know how to do spell cards and stuff so I can help you there (exchange of info :V)

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 05:57:07 AM »
No, your games look friggin' awesome!  Especially your older one!  I haven't really gotten power right yet, but you nailed it!
And you have replays, which are really difficult to do for me :D
I'd like to actually ask you for advice on how to do things for when I make more games, and I know how to do spell cards and stuff so I can help you there (exchange of info :V)

Thanks! I started working on it just before new years because I wanted to learn my first language and GML is what I picked since it's so forgiving!

http://i.imgur.com/cfpVeCp.png This should give you an idea on how my power system works, It's very brute forced, you could probably do it in a LOT less code but I've only been coding for 1.5 months now so that's my excuse! :P

The replay system has taken up over a week already, it's the most complex thing by far but it's mostly working... Sharing the code would be hard.
http://youtu.be/vjVkKn1VTA8

I would like to start a game maker thread on here but I don't know if many people on here would be interested.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 05:59:09 AM »
I use a method, as far as I know, no one uses...I use timelines to create the timing for danmaku and then familiar objects when necessary.  The danmaku themselves are bullet parent objects, and grazing is complicated.  For grazing, I have a placeholder for each bullet type that acts like a bullet but does not graze.  Once a bullet collides with the graze hitbox, it turns into the placeholder.  The problem is...that screws up a couple patterns sometimes.

Have you heard of fields?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 06:06:57 AM »
Have you heard of fields?

What are fields? Can you explain more?

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 08:09:03 AM »
What are fields? Can you explain more?

Fields are variables bound to instances.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »
^ I think for GM users, instance variables is easier to understand than fields =w=b

<snip>
http://i.imgur.com/cfpVeCp.png
I would like to start a game maker thread on here but I don't know if many people on here would be interested.
Long story short - yes I'm interested in a game maker thread, there's a lot everyone can gain from discussing what they know

also here's some comments about your code, sharing it here so WishMakers can also benefit
(for a 1.5 month coder, you're doing unusually great!)

I looked at the Reimu homing code and was wondering why angle_difference was highlighted in orange like it was a default function
Then checked in GM and found out that it *is* a default function \o/
*looks like it was added to GM:Studio Early Access some time last year February
*for years people had to settle with custom angle difference scripts (i.e. copy pasting from gmlscripts.com)
*learn something new everyday!

Then I came across script_execute in your code, seems to be a new function so i looked into the GM help file - it's pretty neat if you know how to use it.
But yeah it looks like you don't know how to normally call scripts, so here's how:
script1()
script2(argument0,argument1,etc...)
compared to this that also works, but is longer than it should be
script_execute(script1)
script_execute(script2,argument0,argument1,etc...)
*there's a specific use for this, and plainly calling functions is not one of them

For gradual power levels, your if-statements can be shortened to this:
if global.pow < 8
{
// first level
}
else if global.pow < 16
{
// second level
}
else if global.pow < 32
{
// third level
}
*conciseness keeps code readable, and readability helps when you need to fix stuff later

Also your choice of having your player shoot one bullet object that can function as several bullet types is unusual - did you do that so the enemy objects don't have to check collisions against more than one bullet object (type)?
If that's the case, that's what object parents are for

*If your enemy bullets are also designed this way, then disregard what I said - you probably have your own reasons for coding that way
(I still think setting those variables in Reimu A, shot_type=0 every step is a waste though, can be done just once in create event / script / alarm)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:06:34 PM by bennelsey »

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 03:24:27 AM »
also here's some comments about your code, sharing it here so WishMakers can also benefit
(for a 1.5 month coder, you're doing unusually great!)

Thanks for the comments! I've paused adding things so I can go back and rewrite old code in much better ways. It's easy to just push forward forcing everything to work with only what you know.   :blush:

I re-did the power system, player shots, enemy trash spawn/ai and I'm up to neatening up the enemy danmaku system. I went and learnt object parenting (better late than never, right?) and am up to how to better use scripts. I'll make a game maker thread when I have something worth sharing. Sorry if I talked a bit off topic of the OP.  :ohdear:

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 02:59:16 AM »

Actually, I could upload a zip of my engine in GM: Studio, if it helps.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Wish's Code Dump (New engine started!)
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »
Sorry for kinda just reviving this...needed to make an update.

Update 8/17/15
------------------------
My old engine (which I used for Cirno) was made almost solely for that game and not for very much else.
Now that I am making a new engine (used for all sorts of things), expect a bit more activity in this thread.
I know I have not been very active since this thread's conception, I thought I should make this post so that new updates will reach a few more people, and so people know this thread is not dead.

Now...in terms of how far this engine is, it's not nearly as far along as my old engine was, but it should be made with not only what made the old one great, but add some new and better things as well.
I will also be entering RaNGE contests once I am farther along with it.
Thank you all, and I'll keep you in the loop!

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Wish's Code Dump (New engine started!)
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 12:36:22 AM »
Note to mods: I'm bumping this thread because of recent developments.  I wasn't sure whether I should've started a new topic, so I stayed with this one.
In RikaNitori this is no problem for thread owners to bump due to recent dev. You did fine. ( ',')b -Helepolis

Here we are!  My engine now has a demo ready for public enjoyment!
Sorry this post is a little late, I had midterms to deal with so it took me a couple days  :derp:
Here are some screenshots of my current engine!

Yes, Aya is a new playable character! She was added to give some variety in the shot types!
The demo link (through Dropbox) is available in the first post!  If you are interested, take a look!  You might be surprised with what you find!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:33:50 PM by WishMakers »

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Wish's Code Dump (Marisa script released!)
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »
Hello everybody!
Today, I release my Marisa script!

I have been working on it in my spare time, so I haven't been able to implement all the ideas I want.
However, the engine is still in beta and is not completely perfected yet.
Though I'm sure you will notice that the movement is a lot smoother :3

I am accepting feedback on this script so that I may improve!  If you do wind up playing it, please give some feedback!  It would really help me out, thanks!

Download "The Witches' Ball" here!

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 07:53:37 PM »
(Do note, I'm not sure if this was running at the intended speed - would it be possible to add a FPS counter?)
Anyway, here are my thoughts on some of those patterns:
-The first nonspell should be changed up, as I can often sit still for a while without anything hitting me. Maybe you could make Marisa move around a bit?
-The first spell is really neat, but I got whacked by a meteor on my first try because I wasn't expecting it to curve around like that.
-Is it just me, or does Marisa start redirecting her Master Spark towards the player in the second spell before actually firing it? Or is she just firing to the right of the target for some reason?
-The third spell's lasers ARE going to catch a first-time player off guard, and even when I'm expecting them, they spin pretty fast. I'd suggest making their movement start slow, then accelerate to their intended spinning speed.
-Also, pausing during the third spell caused a few laser projectiles to fire off and fly away during the pause.
-Then this error showed up while I was messing around with pausing during the third spell.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 10:55:12 PM »
(I can add an FPS counter, it would just take time)
-The first nonspell should be changed up, as I can often sit still for a while without anything hitting me. Maybe you could make Marisa move around a bit?
-I agree about the first nonspell, but I thought it would be starting a difficulty curve.  I'll think about it.
-Is it just me, or does Marisa start redirecting her Master Spark towards the player in the second spell before actually firing it? Or is she just firing to the right of the target for some reason?
-Yes, in the second spell, the Master Spark does curve towards the player.  I tried to make it slow so the player isn't completely freaked out and can move out of the way.
-The third spell's lasers ARE going to catch a first-time player off guard, and even when I'm expecting them, they spin pretty fast. I'd suggest making their movement start slow, then accelerate to their intended spinning speed.
-I was thinking about that too.  There's not much good about that third card so I might change it if I get time.
-Also, pausing during the third spell caused a few laser projectiles to fire off and fly away during the pause.
-Then this error showed up while I was messing around with pausing during the third spell.
-The pause system is unfortunately glitchy at the moment and unless I change how I code attacks there isn't a great way of fixing it.  That error that you got is okay, I just forgot to account for something when I was coding the pause system.
Thanks for your feedback, Badz!  I appreciate it.  At least I know part of what worked and what didn't now.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Wish's Code Dump (Marisa script updated! New features!)
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 01:20:45 AM »
Hello fellow Touhou players!
Now that testing in my school is finished, I finally got around to updating my Marisa script!
Quite a few things have been changed, including (but not limited to)
-Attack balancing
-A new difficulty (equal to Lunatic mode)
-Menus navigable with the arrow keys
-Unlockable playable characters
-and more!

The new version can be downloaded here:
Download! (new version here, bugs patched)
Or, alternatively, the link at the top post has been updated!

I am still accepting criticism, so please let me know your opinions!  It really helps me out!
Ciao!

EDIT 5/11/16: I found some last-minute bugs soon after uploading.  New version is now running smoothly.
This new version will keep your save file intact, so no worries about that!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:43:04 PM by WishMakers »

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Wish's Code Dump (New 60 FPS engine! New project started?)
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 09:30:12 PM »
So, after my failure in the LoCaA 8 Contest, I decided to work on something completely different.
It is much larger, so it will probably have its own thread soon, but here is a tech demo to show what I'm working on.
Download Tech Demo Here!

There are also a couple hints as to what I'm working on within the demo itself, so if you're curious look at some other Touhou games and see what I mean  :3

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Wish's Code Dump (New 60 FPS engine! New project started?)
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
After months of absence from the scripting community, mounds of schoolwork, and gaining more knowledge about my capabilities, here I am with a new tech demo.
Download here

Finally I have made the successful jump to 60 FPS!  That was a common critique of my RaNGE and LoCaA entries, so it's about time I fixed that.
While that meant I had to code a new engine from scratch, I have also honed some of my skills to try out some new things.
I have experimented with a simple power system, DDC scoring/resource gain, and the HUD among other things.

That's right, the gameplay field is now no longer the entire screen...probably a welcome change to some people.
To compensate, the resolution has been made bigger so I can fit more bullets on the game screen.  This can be good for more complex patterns.
This makes the player look a bit smaller by comparison in my opinion, but let me know what you think.

This will eventually become a full-fledged Marisa script, a remake of my old one.
The old one was actually covered by MegamanOmega184, and I both noticed problems and had other problems brought to my attention.  So, I figured that I could do better.
I tend to think that my scripts typically garner negative attention within the community rather than positive, so my goal is to change that perception.

In any case, I hope you all like what you see.  Please alert me to any problems that you might have while playing, whether it's just a pet peeve or a major bug.  I like hearing it all, because it helps me to know what I could be doing wrong.  Thanks!

Important info:
Pressing Enter will send you back to the menu.
Pressing P will increase your power (by 8 internally, by 0.25 on the HUD)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:33:55 PM by WishMakers »

Re: Wish's Code Dump (New 60 FPS engine, tech demo released!)
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »
Hey Wish,
I'll give it a play and give you my impressions.

Looking good! I'll note down some issues I noticed.
  • I presume it's intentional that nothing happens on easy difficulty?
  • If I'm moving diagonally and hit a wall I get stuck and don't move along the wall properly.
  • Charactor animation speed is very fast, maybe set it to ~20%? (image_speed = 0.2;)
  • Moving diagonally feels fast? If you haven't already, multiply your X and Y speed by sqrt(0.5) for diagonal movement. Maybe some logic like "if (up==true xor down==true) && (left==true xor right==true) {move_speed *= sqrt(0.5);}" to work out if they're moving diagonal?

Other than that, it's working stable and runs fast with low CPU usage. The player does feel very small and slow. You could make it 640x480 and use pixel doubling like the Touhou games do when ran at 1280x960 if you wanted to fix that.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 05:48:45 PM »
Looking good! I'll note down some issues I noticed.
I presume it's intentional that nothing happens on easy difficulty?
If I'm moving diagonally and hit a wall I get stuck and don't move along the wall properly.
Charactor animation speed is very fast, maybe set it to ~20%? (image_speed = 0.2;)
Moving diagonally feels fast? If you haven't already, multiply your X and Y speed by sqrt(0.5) for diagonal movement. Maybe some logic like "if (up==true xor down==true) && (left==true xor right==true) {move_speed *= sqrt(0.5);}" to work out if they're moving diagonal?

Other than that, it's working stable and runs fast with low CPU usage. The player does feel very small and slow. You could make it 640x480 and use pixel doubling like the Touhou games do when ran at 1280x960 if you wanted to fix that.

Hey Tyrz!  It's been a while.

Easy difficulty as of now is a debug mode, yes haha

I actually just recently fixed the diagonal movement when hitting a wall, so when I update with something new there shouldn't be any issues there.

Moving diagonally does feel fast, I noticed that a bit...looking into fixing that, I'll experiment using your logic.

The player is certainly small compared to the screen, yeah.  Not a big fan of the 640x480, it feels small to me, but I want to make sure it doesn't drift too far from the norm.  The player sprite rendering is actually done a bit differently than usual, so it's not that simple but it's still very possible.  Both of these things will be looked into when I have larger sprites to work with.  (Speaking of, I'm looking for spriters, so if anyone wants to help me out with sprites for my next big project that would be great)
In addition, the player speed was bumped up a bit and is undergoing testing.

I'm glad it's not too rough on CPU usage!  From my personal experiments the pseudo-3D background is slow to rendering for older graphics cards (probably because my method for doing that is very amateurish) but hopefully with learning more about how 3D backgrounds work in Game Maker I can fix this issue.

Next up is probably going to be more in-depth menus, the pause system, and the replay system...I'll release a build when there is more.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 07:20:32 PM »
New project?

More details will become available soon.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
Re: Wish's Code Dump (LoCaA Entry Complete! New game?)
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »
Surprise!  Haven't been active on LoCaA enough, so I figured I'd participate in the newest contest.
This is the first script I've made that uses my new engine (gee, I haven't heard that before...Kappa)
trust me, it's finally decent this time :v
It features Elizabeth from Persona 3.
Let me know if you have any feedback or glitches happen, and I will patch them out asap!