Author Topic: Multiplayer games?  (Read 3864 times)

Multiplayer games?
« on: December 08, 2014, 03:38:49 AM »
I'm looking for some good games to play with friends.  Aside from the Twilight Frontier fighters and Rift in a Friendship, though, I'm not aware of many strong multiplayer doujin games.  Can anyone help me out?

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Re: Multiplayer games?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:51:26 AM »
Touhou Daiundousai is tons of fun (offline only, netcode is horrible), and Urapani is not bad if you like Mario-style platformers.

I think Touhou Sky Arena has multiplayer, but I don't know whether you can play on the same screen. I never tried it.

...Is MUGEN mentionable here? :]

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:20:47 AM »
MUGEN's a bit too much of a mixed bag to be honest. If you're not aware of the quality authors then you might end up wasting a lot of your bandwith on shitty characters.
Besides, MUGEN isn't really so much of a game as it is an engine, almost like Danmakufu.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:22:52 AM by Leonard-Helsing »

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 08:34:09 AM »
MUGEN's a bit too much of a mixed bag to be honest. If you're not aware of the quality authors then you might end up wasting a lot of your bandwith on shitty characters.
Besides, MUGEN isn't really so much of a game as it is an engine, almost like Danmakufu.

I was joking. I really am terrible at it.

But always bet 2hu nonetheless.

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
Suwako's Jumping Shooting Game (Suwapyon 2010) has simultaneous multi-player mode, and it's free now. :)

Here's the official download link.

http://www.utgsoftware.net/archives/dlcount.php?fname=suwapyon.zip&dir=suwapyon/
Currently needing to do more Touhou stuff
My Touhou Replays
IN Yukari Spell Practice: 218/222
Chat with me, maybe?: https://discord.gg/0bbmWG5ankaeyTzH

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:40:41 PM »
I think Touhou Sky Arena has multiplayer, but I don't know whether you can play on the same screen. I never tried it.
Touhou Sky Arena let's you up to 4-player split screen. I'd recommend Sky Arena too or Magical Battle Arena NEXT by the same developers.

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
Amapani and Urapani by Desunoya both have NSMB-style multiplayer.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 02:35:45 AM »
Touhou Daiundousai is tons of fun (offline only, netcode is horrible), and Urapani is not bad if you like Mario-style platformers.

...Is MUGEN mentionable here? :]

Amapani and Urapani by Desunoya both have NSMB-style multiplayer.

Touhou Sky Arena let's you up to 4-player split screen. I'd recommend Sky Arena too or Magical Battle Arena NEXT by the same developers.

Thanks for these!  Touhou Daiundousai does look like a lot of fun, and I'll check it out right away.

We do love platformers--we beat most of Super Mario 3D World together--so I'll also give the *pani platformers a shot.  It reminds me of a game I played a loooong time ago, called Super Marisa Land.  I saw a video of the game; it's impressive that they were able to manage the camera so well in a doujin game.

Sky Arena looks awesome.  It looks like the Gundam VS games.  MBA Next looks a bit more polished, so I'll probably give it a go first.

Suwako's Jumping Shooting Game (Suwapyon 2010) has simultaneous multi-player mode, and it's free now. :)

Here's the official download link.

http://www.utgsoftware.net/archives/dlcount.php?fname=suwapyon.zip&dir=suwapyon/

What an interesting game!  I got past Cirno fine on Normal by jumping over everything.  Reisen is a jerk.  I'll probably do better next time, since I found out afterwards xpadder was mapping jump and shot to the same button and I'm supposed to be able to do those separately.