Author Topic: Touhou 14.5 announced at Digital Game Expo 2014!  (Read 47087 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Touhou 14.5 announced at Digital Game Expo 2014!
« on: November 15, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
ZUN and his merry gang of doujin game friends will be holding their own doujin/indie game convention, Digital Game Expo 2014 tomorrow (Nov 16, 2014) on 2nd floor of UDX Building, Akihabara (how to attend in English). This thread is for discussing new information coming from there.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure ZUN will half-ass everything again  :D !

==============

Q: What is Digital Game Expo?
A: Digital Game Expo is an event conceived by D.N.A. (leader of D.N.A. Softwares), as an attempt to address the lack of a convention entirely dedicated to doujin games. Since Japan's existing doujin software conventions closed down in the 1990s, developers have been content to only attend doujin-selling events like Comiket. The problem is that the Comiket format is designed for selling manga, and actually a bad fit for video games, which benefit from live demoing and playing.

Q: What is ZUN's involvement?
A: In addition to attending the event with fellow developers including Twilight Frontier and Platine Dispositif, ZUN is a participating developer in the "Doujin Shooting Game Caravan" score attack competition. For the purpose of this competition, he has made "Danmaku Amanojaku Gold Rush", a special version of Touhou 14.3, using less than two days' time. In this game, Seija has got her hands on the 10th rule-breaking item, which can be used to destroy the opponent's danmaku. You will be able to play it at his booth.

Text on the screenshot:
Danmaku Amanojaku Gold Rush
Special Game for Digital Game Expo Score Attack
(c)2014 Shanghai Alice Gengakudan

Q: What is this Caravan thing?
A: It is an unofficial contest at the Expo for visitors to participate in. Quoting what I wrote:
During the expo, players in this "Doujin Shooting Game Caravan" competition will play the STG games displayed at certain booths for score. Both their scores and a stamp imprint representing said booth will be marked on their score sheets. After having played at 7 or more booths, they will turn their score sheets in at the booth of Endless Shirafu. Repeated attempts are allowed: after turning in your score sheet, you can get another sheet and try again.

- Everyone with 7 or more stamps will get Reward A.
- Everyone who collected all stamps will get Reward A and Reward B.
- The top 3 players by 3:00 PM will receive a "big prize".

Q: Will ZUN release his new game for everyone else to play?
A: First of all, this is a "joke game" whipped together in two days. It is not intended to be sold. It's also hard to say whether it will be released for free. He certainly never released the first Reitaisai's special score attack version of PCB! However, that was more than 10 years ago, and obviously, everything has changed a lot since then.

Q: Will there be a stream of the event?
A: From 1:30 to 3:30 PM JST, D.N.A. will host a Nae Radio stream from the show floor.

ZUN's original announcement of the new game:
ZUN: I've made it in this way, "Danmaku Amanojaku Gold Rush". A game where the amanojaku has obtained the 10th rule-breaking item, and must destroy the rule-breaking-ish danmaku. It's a game with low difficulty that lasts a short time, only for score attack. You must play it tomorrow.

ZUN: What would happen in the actual place on tomorrow's convention floor, I have absolutely no idea.

ZUN: |-`).。oO(...I've wastefully built a score attack mode with a new game system.

ZUN: I fear it might be that tomorrow it'd be impossible for one player to challenge the game multiple times. They'd have to earn their scores in one try. That would be grisly.

ZUN: Ah, please note that Danmaku Amanojaku Gold Rush is not meant to be a marketable game. Making an unmarketable joke game is quite enjoyable.

For more context, see the Touhou update thread,
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:20:31 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Digital Game Expo 2014: an expo with its own official Touhou game
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
Danmaku Amanojaku Gold Rush

MAKE IT MAKE MONEY
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

cuc

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 03:07:27 PM »
ZUN: The tenth rule-breaking item, "Miracle Mallet (Real)". Just by waving it, enemy bullets will be turned into koban coins. Well, the end of the year is near, so I made it a game that brings good fortune.
Koban is an oval shaped gold coin from Edo era, and used as an extremely common symbol of money in Japanese pop culture - you see that thing on Meowth's head?

Text in the screenshot:
小判枚数 - Number of Koban Coins
装備アイテム - Equipped Item (same as Touhou 14.3)

The spell card in the screenshot is 「だんまく長者」 "Danmaku Millionaire".

ZUN: You can beat it in about two minutes in one playthrough. There's a strong sense that you've got only one shot, no warm-up at all.

Ruw: For a score attack, that's quite demanding on basic reflexes.

ZUN: One can watch other people play before playing yourself. This might seem like a good idea, but actually could be a trap.

Ruw: You must pay attention so that people don't select "continue" after being hit out of habit lol.

ZUN: Continue? No such weaksauce feature, it's back to the title screen immediately!

D.N.A.: Umm, so how do you check the score and such?

ZUN: Of course you can. I've also included a conversion tool into modern currency value. Plus the user-friendly feature of checking scores even if you returned to the title screen by accident. By the way, all the play history is kept, and can be viewed any time you want.

D.N.A.: You are way too prepared!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:38:35 AM by cuc »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
Ahahaha yes! More of Gensokyo's resident contrarian.

ZUN: Continue? No such weaksauce feature, it's back to the title screen immediately!

Can you imagine the rage that would erupt if he started doing this for all future Touhou games?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

Re: Digital Game Expo 2014: Touhou 14.5 with Harukawa Moe art!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 03:16:39 AM »
Touhou 14.5, subtitle seems to be "Urban Legend in Limbo". The flyer has Harukawa Moe art.

Stay tuned!

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Re: Touhou 14.5 announced at Digital Game Expo 2014!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 03:22:09 AM »
flyer pic pls :V

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 03:23:30 AM »
That Marisa looks really cute. And I welcome the use of Moe as artist!

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 03:55:07 AM »
Translation please, because if that's in the real world then...

Drake

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 04:42:26 AM »
Get it! The Occult Ball!

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hakkai

• Celestial
    • Touhou.net
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 05:12:01 AM »
Oh, i didn't refresh the page before posting. Well, i wonder what kind of game it will be
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:27:17 AM by Hakkai »

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 05:53:51 AM »
MAKE IT MAKE MONEY
URBAN LEGEND IN LIMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 06:27:58 AM »
Those things look like more modern Youkai, maybe... IDK they remind me of things in Corpse party. I'm thinking this may either be a school in the outside world or a school was brought into Gensokyo, if it does take place in a school I'm leaning towards the latter, like a forgotten school that's haunted. And we all know how Gensokyo loves to gobble up forgotten things.

Then again all this is just a huge guess based on a picture. Will there be another topic opened for this? I want to know others thoughts.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 06:35:49 AM »
"YOUKAI, GET-ZE!"

cuc

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 09:39:01 AM »
Time for a compilation, based on online information (mostly tweets), and a friend's report.

Three things, in the order from the simple to the complicated.

1) They knew full well that the line of people waiting to play Touhou is enough to cause a traffic congestion. So they actually set aside a corner of the room for ZUN's game.

This is the photo of the corner posted by ZUN:

During the event, he was sitting behind the computer on the left side of the photo. He watched people play wearing his usual sardonic expression, throwing in a mocking 「おお、惜しい」"Ooooh, how regretable" when they lost.

ZUN's actual booth space was merged with Twilight Frontier's. Like last year, the PC-98 games can be played there. Twilight Frontier was selling the game they made in 2 days, "Master of Stockpile" for 100 yen per copy. It's a physics-based game requiring high accuracy in moving the mouse cursor.

2) When people asked ZUN about Touhou 14.5, all he would say was stuff like "I don't know" "It's a secret lol". (Though one person might have heard him mumble "I haven't decided" under his breath.)

Anyway, let's look at the flyer:

It's easy to assume it will be a Suzunaan game featuring her artwork. However at this moment, all we can be sure is "Harukawa drew the flyer art".

The tagline "Get it! Occult Ball!!" is a reference to a line from "Makafushigi Adventure", opening song of the Dragon Ball anime: "Get them! Dragon Ball". It is possible there are 7 occult balls, because...

What the artwork says. Marisa is holding a flashlight upwards to illuminate her face - she's ready to tell a horror story. Behind her is a corridor of a modern Japanese school. The "seven mysteries" of a school, of course, are common staples in Japanese schoolyard legend. Here we see:

- The hand coming out of a toilet asking for toilet paper;
- The living great musician portrait in the music room;
- The statue that moves (I'm not familiar with this legend, but the statue depicts a studious woodcutter from Edo era who kept reading even when he was carrying firewoods);
- The public phone;
- The skeleton and anatomy model used for biology classes, both are also often rumored to be animated;
- A ghost;
- Hands coming out of a window, probably referring to mysterious handprints on windows.

Japanese fans have been wondering whether this means the schoolyard legends have entered Gensokyo since no one believes them any more.

EDIT: The woodcutter is the late-Edo thinker Ninomiya Sontoku. The musician is Bach.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:48:50 AM by cuc »

Tengukami

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 09:57:53 AM »
Japanese fans have been wondering whether this means the schoolyard legends have entered Gensokyo since no one believes them any more.

3spooky5me

During the event, he was standing by the computer on the left side of the photo. He watched people play wearing his usual sardonic expression, throwing in a mocking 「おお、惜しい」"Ooooh, how regretable" when they lost.

ZUN can be hilariously dickish to people playing a new game of his. Here's a video of him laughing, through a microphone, at randomly chosen fans trying Double Spoiler for the first time.

I don't know about you, but ZUN standing practically over my shoulder snickering at my fuckups (or, worse still, snickering because he knows I'm about to die before I even do, him having made the game and all) would be incredibly unnerving. Then again, this is a contest we're talking about, and some good-natured heckling is to be expected.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
My money's on modern school transported into Gensokyo as well, mostly because of the subtitle. As for guesses what kind of game could it be, I can see it being anything, really - yet another StB clone, a GFW-style short adventure, or something in a completely new format, in which case I can't even imagine what would it be.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »
Ahh that's right! I had forgotten all about the school mystery thing, that's why it reminds me of Corpse Party, they used the same stuff in that game but amped it up big time.

Silly thought but watch it turn out to be a 2d fatal frame where Aya is a key character for capturing these legends on film. Lol a FF/StB style game would be cool.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »

2) When people asked ZUN about Touhou 14.5, all he would say was "It's a secret lol". (Though one person might have heard him mumble "I haven't decided" under his breath.)

Anyway, let's look at the flyer:

It's easy to assume it will be a Suzunaan game featuring her artwork. However at this moment, all we can be sure is "Harukawa drew the flyer art".

The tagline "Get it! Occult Ball!!" is a reference to a line from "Makafushigi Adventure", opening song of the Dragon Ball anime: "Get them! Dragon Ball". It is possible there are 7 occult balls, because...

What the artwork says. Marisa is holding a flashlight upwards to illuminate her face - she's ready to tell a horror story. Behind her is a corridor of a modern Japanese school. The "seven mysteries" of a school, of course, are common staples in Japanese schoolyard legend. Here we see:

- The hand coming out of a toilet asking for toilet paper;
- The living great musician portrait in the music room;
- The statue that moves (I'm not familiar with this legend, but the statue depicts a studious woodcutter from Edo era who kept reading even when he was carrying firewoods);
- The public phone;
- The skeleton and anatomy model used for biology classes, both are also often rumored to be animated;
- A ghost;
- Hands coming out of a window, probably referring to mysterious handprints on windows.

The guy who asked him also figured that it might be referring to the 7 Mysteries of School, but ZUN said it's a secret. And about that mumble, he can't confirm it either.

And here I thought it was referring to Pokemon. I totally forgot about that song and them being called the 7 mysteries. Good one, cuc.
I guess that kinda explains why they're in Gensoukyo now.  :derp:

So it can possibly be like watching Gegege no Kitaro, Ghost at School, or Nube? Seriously, ZUN, way to hit the nostalgia button.

cuc

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
In the Japanese fandom, ZUN's creepy ンフフ "nfufu" laughter is considered one of his trademarks.

A glimpse of the queue at ZUN's corner from the Nae Radio stream. Apparently while there were some female creators present, the number of female visitors could be counted on one hand.

Two computers were set up for Gold Rush. The computer on the left had a game pad plugged in; both game pad and keyboard could be used for the laptop on the right. The right computer was connected to the projector. ZUN was seated with his own Surface Pro 2 behind the left computer, and watching its video feed for his own amusement.

Because of the long queue, ZUN seemed to have never caught a break from beginning to end.

When asked about why Seija can use the Miracle Mallet which only the Kobito/small folk/little people can use, his answer is: the game is made in a short time, with no consideration for lore at all. (1, 2)

This could be a sad day for people for whom "canon" means applying a rigid continuity to their fictional universe  :flowerpower:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:00:34 AM by cuc »

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 01:41:02 PM »
This could be a sad day for people for whom "canon" means applying a rigid continuity to their fictional universe, lol.

Or just consider it a fangame that came from the creator. Plus given the chance it WON'T be released even as freeware...

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 01:58:14 PM »
with no consideration for lore at all.
RIP Canon 2014.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »
So I was wondering: If this is indeed base on the 7 High School Mysteries, why are there eight potential things here? I am referring to the guy with part of their face peeled out, since cuc explained the other seven.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
So I was wondering: If this is indeed base on the 7 High School Mysteries, why are there eight potential things here? I am referring to the guy with part of their face peeled out, since cuc explained the other seven.
You mean the "Science Anatomy Dummy"? I always thought it was part of the usual High School mysteries?

I think it's still seven, since the Dummy is usually associated with the Skeleton.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:11:25 PM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »
I except it to be of some new format because quite a good amount of stuff is unusual about this announcement.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

cuc

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »
A news article about the expo.

3) Gold Rush.

The game has no cutscene and dialog; Seija wins by fighting through Reimu's three spell cards and three non-spell sections. While an HP circle is displayed around Reimu, Seija cannot shoot, and Reimu's HPs are depleting by themselves, meaning all her attacks are fixed-time survival cards, and the HP circle functions as another timer.

Seija is equipped with Miracle Mallet (Real) and 5 charges of Body Double Jizo, meaning she can take five plus one hits. Aside from focus and movement buttons, the only thing she can do is swinging the mallet to turn bullets into gold coins. The real mallet has little cooldown and no charging delays at all, and Seija can still move when using it.

The mallet's power has often been compared to Cirno's freeze from Fairy Wars: when it hits a bullet, the magic will spread to nearby bullets, causing a chain reaction. However, Seija still needs to move to capture the falling coins.

The point of collection mechanic is in effect for the coins. Essentially, the most important scoring method is to first create a lot of coins, then expend a Jizo "life" to move yourself above the collection line.

After ending your game in defeat or victory, a score display comes up:

From top to bottom:
Number of Koban Coins
Converted into Current Yen
Your Ranking

By comparing multiple score images, it can be determined "conversion into modern yen" is simply your coin number multiplied by 8932 yen. According to this week's gold price, 8932 yen is worth about 2g of gold, which is definitely not the amount of gold content in a real koban coin!

ZUN would write down your score on your score sheet, and apply his stamp. (ZUN is D-01a, the third row from the top. The text in the stamp says "Hakurei Kannushi").

The top ranking player of the day is 茶。, a sprite artist who reached 24961 in one try. It seems your score will generally reach 12000 to 15000 just by clearing the game normally.

ZUN: "I had wondered if the top score can reach 25000 or not."

Other things:
The songs in the game are the ISC title theme at the title screen, and the DDC Stage 6 boss theme during the battle. ZUN confirmed that both are arranged versions. (EDIT: Perhaps only the DDC boss theme is arranged.)

The background of the battle is the version of SA Extra background seen in ISC - the inner sanctuary of Moriya Shrine.

Next, the danmaku!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:08:34 PM by cuc »

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 03:23:33 PM »
ZUN said that the game for next year would be an anniversary game, but I don't see 14.5 fitting that bill...  Can we assume two games next year?

Thanks in advance!

cuc

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
Source? I don't think I read about him saying that.

Anyway, if the anniversary game is Touhou 15, that is going to sound like 2 Shanghai Alice games and 1 Tasofro game next year. Well, anything can happen.

===========

Addenum:
The total number of players is: 101 on the left, 105 on the right (1, 2)

Different bullets turn into different sizes of coins: ofuda and round bullets into small coins (1 point), oval and large round bullets into medium coins (2 points), and bubbles into huge coins (10 points). Hit Reimu with the mallet, and she will also drop huge coins. The text 大金 "lots of money" is inscribed on those huge coins.

Youtube video of the game, recorded from the stream.

Another video, recorded live.

The title of the stage is:
シーンEX 異次元の金融緩和
Scene EX   Financial Easing in Another Dimension

You see, this game is a joke on today's Abenomics, particularly the very recent push to increase inflation by the central bank. "You've seen our monetary easing. Now what does monetary easing look like in Gensokyo!?"

The danmaku patterns are (please compare with the video):

1. Non-spell 1, 22 seconds

2. Spell card 1, 13 seconds
「反則結界」
"Rule-Breaking Boundary"
Similar to the one from ISC, much faster.

3. Non-spell 2, 19 seconds

4. Spell card 2, 22 seconds
「天国にいちばん近いお賽銭」
"The Donation Closest to Heaven"
"... closest to heaven" is a popular phrase, originating from the travellogue "The Island Closest to Heaven", about the author's travels to South Pacific islands. In the west, you've seen it referenced in Final Fantasy VIII's two world map regions, Island Closest to Heaven, and Island Closest to Hell.

ZUN and the FF8 developers probably knew this name from the 1984 movie based on the book.

The pattern is based on Wakasagihime's tidal wave card from ISC.

5. Non-spell 3, 19 seconds

6. Spell card 3, 23 seconds
「だんまく長者」
"Danmaku Millionaire"
Seems like the Hax Sign "Burn Everything" you've always wanted.

A good text description of the game is here. Time info from the video and here.

Another event report.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:09:19 PM by cuc »

Tengukami

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »
Apparently while there were some female creators present, the number of female visitors could be counted on one hand.
Wow, huuuge surprise there.

all about Gold Rush
Aaah even if it's just a one-shot minigame made only for this festival ... man, I would so play this. Would make a nice warm-up before opening a full game, just to limber up those fingers a bit.

I am really intrigued by this 7 High School Mysteries, too. I don't think it's that great a departure from what his usual MO has been; growing disbelief in the supernatural in the Outside World relegating the mystical to Gensokyo. Gensokyo itself is riddled with references to the modern world. I look forward to seeing what the spin on this will be.