Author Topic: If Touhou 15 or 20 was to be the final Touhou game  (Read 4853 times)

If Touhou 15 or 20 was to be the final Touhou game
« on: November 06, 2014, 10:30:02 PM »
How would you like Zun to end it?

I know many people wouldn't like if it ended like CtC, but I would want something with kinda the same idea. Like having all the incidents as stories Maribel came up with, and all the characters were fictional in her stories, execpt Marisa or Yukari was her avatar and Reimu was the avatar of Renko (I can already taste all the anger within other users comments from this idea xD).

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Re: If Touhou 15 or 20 was to be the final Touhou game
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »
Assuming one game per year, Touhou 20 would be around 2019 or 2020. By the time 2hu 2 is around, ZUN's son would be around 4 or 5. Having to take care for a child, writing manga, making music, and annually making games, ZUN's schedule would be pretty hectic.

Story-wise, I have no ideas.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Drake

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:24:56 AM »
Silent end. No big last story or catastrophic scenarios, no game purposefully made to be the final one, no spectacular reveals, no closure. Just a slowing train of works. The written works and manga will just keep going until they don't anymore.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 02:53:18 AM »
Touhou having an ending would be very un-ZUN-like. The most I can see he doing is one last fanservice game.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:06:24 AM »
It's hard to have an "end" when there's no actual "story". Besides, Touhou already "ended" once before (PC-98 era) and Mystic Square didn't exactly try to wrap things up. New games will probably just stop being made at some point when ZUN's life gets too busy.

That, or Cirno is revealed to be the mortal incarnation of the Dragon God and erases Gensokyo from existence due to the Hakurei Shrine's lack of proper worship and faith in a glorious cataclysm of danmaku and sak?. It's always the one you least suspect.

It would be nice to have some closure on some of the mysteries in some of the characters' backstories before that though. (We're all looking at you, Sakuya! ...And Youki. ...And Alice. ...And Yukari. ...And the Hakurei Shrine's true god ...And Mima. ...And... hmm. Yeah, ZUN is a bit sloppy with his loose ends I guess...)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:12:05 AM by Neodymium »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
Touhou's "story" is a series of arcs rather than a single narrative, and I can't help but feel ZUN deliberately leaves things open in places, as any decent writer would do. So the idea that he would wrap it all up with a neat bow is highly unlikely. Chances are it would just end - maybe closing whatever arc it was on, but not more than that. Having all the blanks filled in for some grand, comprehensive closure would be frankly disappointing, but fortunately, also very unlikely.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »
I dare ZUN to combine both Eternal Shrine Maiden and Theme of Eastern Story in the staff roll theme of the last Touhou game. I bet he's already done it in secret!

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
It would be nice to have some closure on some of the mysteries in some of the characters' backstories before that though. (We're all looking at you, Sakuya! ...And Youki. ...And Alice. ...And Yukari. ...And the Hakurei Shrine's true god ...And Mima. ...And... hmm. Yeah, ZUN is a bit sloppy with his loose ends I guess...)

Reminds me of how Tolkien had a lot of unpublished tidbits about Middle Earth that were later compiled and published anyway. ZUN does have a lot of stuff about Touhou he keeps to himself and his friends. It would be nice indeed if he or someone else compiled and published it when official works stop coming out. And I hope I'd live long enough to see that day :D

(I can already taste all the anger within other users comments from this idea xD).

Yeah, something like that would feel too anticlimatic. Saying "oops, all you've seen wasn't real and is meaningless" would leave a very bad aftertaste, and ZUN himself actually doesn't like that. Besides, that one idea is already impossible since Merry did physically travel to Gensokyo at one point and even left a note there. Several hundred years ago.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 04:54:01 AM »
ummm... i don't know if this really contributes to this, but i read somewhere that ZUN will keep making Touhou games just because he wants to :v by his words, "even if all his fans vanish from the Earth, he'll just keep making them"... or something like that

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »
ummm... i don't know if this really contributes to this, but i read somewhere that ZUN will keep making Touhou games just because he wants to :v by his words, "even if all his fans vanish from the Earth, he'll just keep making them"... or something like that

Which is why we focus on ZUN and his willingness to keep making the game in the of his busy schedule as a father. We're not factoring the fandom at all.
We'd love it if he keeps making them, but I won't blame him if he decides to stop.

That reminds me of an arrange for Innocent Treasure, where it has a line for ZUN, "If Touhou will end someday, then that will surely be when I die."

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 01:55:17 AM »
That reminds me of an arrange for Innocent Treasure, where it has a line for ZUN, "If Touhou will end someday, then that will surely be when I die."

Wonder how many Touhou games there would be before such a sad, inevitable day arrives?

I know ZUN would probably give the rights to Twilight Frontier, Tasofro or some other circle. Though of course they would have different ideas on how to handle the series, that could possibly make many of the old fans leave Touhou.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 04:40:37 AM »
Story wise I don't expect to see a clear ending because most likely even if ZUN becomes too busy to publish games every year, he will probably still manage to make some games every few years. I just don't see someone stop doing something he loves altogether.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »
As long as it doesn't ends like Naruto. And I'm being serious here.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »
As long as it doesn't ends like Naruto. And I'm being serious here.

I quit reading it since 650, how was the ending btw ?

And, from my point of view, with a world like Gensokyo, I don't think there will be a "Last Touhou game", at least until 25.5 :)
But if it's from Zun, then I will hope it will end up giving people more idea to think, and to make stuffs about that world