Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou Status 2  (Read 118712 times)

Maple

• Mukyuu!
Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: my tax inspector asked me how to beat Stage 5
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »
Is that the very concept of "tax" has something esotheric and presumably satanic hidden in it?

Every now and then i see threads on reddit about people who "went to public school all their life but never learned to account their taxes" (and the usual response is "if you learned basic math, then you know how to tax").

I'm 18 years old so i can't talk about personal experiencies with taxes aside of the automatic and omnipresent value-added tax.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
There is nothing magical about tax. If you earn money by working, you pay taxes (income tax). As student you probably are not bothered because you don't work or have a partime job where tax is at minimum deducted from your salary.

If you're running a business, you pay tax for the income of that business. I guess Doujin activities are just more tightly checked based on ZUN's tweets.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: health woes and Touhou's birthdate?
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
Another interesting feature of the self-made game area was its 15 meter-long exhibition board, which displayed a timeline of Japanese amateur/doujin/indie games.
Recently they had made an online version of the amateur game timeline, and launched a wiki for Japanese self-made games.

During the festival, visitors were encouraged to make their own additions to the timeline using post-it notes. For the online version, they actually scanned dozens of these notes to replicate the experience. For instance, you can see a visitor wrote "I couldn't defeat Yuugen Magan!" under the HRtP entry.

For the wiki, they seem to want to turn it into both a document of Japanese amateur/doujin/indie game history, and a reference guide that help people get started making their own games.

You can read both here:
http://game.wiki.nicovideo.jp/indie/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:11:13 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2015, 01:04:59 PM »
Rats, they didn't scan the "-%80" sticky note I put next to the "Steam platform launched" entry. :V

cuc

« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »
This month's Nikenme Radio will be streamed live on April 23.

According to Nikkei, the media conglomerate Kadokawa Group has announced its largest restructuring in years. It is cutting down the redundant organizations it has acquired through a series of mergers, and about 3000 employees will be laid off. The part that shocked the common Japanese people the most is that they will abandon the brand name of "Kadokawa Shoten" ("Kadokawa Bookshop"), the name the company was founded under. In a country that still puts a great value on tradition, this is a highly unusual move.

In the short term for Touhou, this probably just means new versions of Forbidden Scrollery and three fairies manga will be published under the name "KADOKAWA" (English, in all caps) from now on.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:08:30 AM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
RIP 書店 part of この番組は角川書店とご覧のスポンサーの提供でお送りします

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

cuc

« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2015, 05:27:39 AM »
Nagamine Shin'ichirō: "Indie and doujin are hot!" They say. Yet here in the world-famous Akihabara, we have a doujin software shop in danger of closing down. I want people who hold this opinion to explain why.

ZUN: A "movement" unconnected to actual sales is hardly a movement. The trouble is, things never go well when someone wants to impose a "movement" on you from the outside.
This twitter exchange has launched a discussion that touches on several fronts. Nagamine (boss of the retrogaming-themed bar A-Button) was probably referring to the doujin game shop March Rabbit, which may very likely be shut down in a few months. In recent years, the store chains Melonbooks and Toranoana have almost created a duopoly on the doujin retail market, and March Rabbit is far from the only shop who cannot compete with them.

However, the main topic being discussed here is that despite Japanese media trying to pump up hype for an indie game movement of Japan's own, there simply aren't that many people interested in buying and/or making indie games.

Yasei no Otoko: If we are talking about increasing the number of doujin developers, I think the simplest way is to do another star-studded seminar, like 2009's GDGD. If not for GDGD, we wouldn't have SRC and Hydrangea today.

ZUN: We can do it. I'd say we can now discuss game making from a perspective different from back then.
Group of Doujin Game Developers (GDGD) was a doujin game seminar started by ZUN and friends, held twice in 2009 and 2010 respectively.

SRC is "Simulation RPG Construction", a tool set for making tactical RPGs. Hydrangea is a doujin circle/indie developer led by Yasei no Otoko.

Ruw: Anyhow, shouldn't you get things started by putting Danmaku Amanojaku on Playism?

ZUN: I had decided to walk my own path.
Cryptic as ever.

ZUN: I'd just written about wanting to eat Cambodian food in the manuscript for my column, when the wife, who has no way of knowing it, came home with take-out Cambodian food. An interesting moment when we are thinking the same thing.
Heppoko: "A PC with an optical drive." This system requirement has become a problem nowadays.

Tora: How about selling download codes for the installer?

Heppoko: Seems next time we'll have to put a paper slip with the download code in the package.

ZUN: Can't we just sell games using USB drives?
ZUN: I created some seasonal spirit for my son. (Photo)
May 5 is the Japanese Children's Day, traditionally a festival for boys (as opposed to Hina Festival, which is for girls). In the picture, ZUN has set up a "May Doll" that celebrates heroes and samurai. This one's design is based on the helmet of Date Masamune.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:32:08 AM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
Ruw: Anyhow, shouldn't you get things started by putting Danmaku Amanojaku on Playism?

ZUN: I had decided to walk my own path.
Ruw: You've always been following your own path and I get the feeling you always will!
Ruw's reply to this. (Also I'm getting confused with you bolding names without links.)

By the by, Reitaisai staff just announced that Play,Doujin! will be having a booth at Reitaisai where people can play trials of Mysterious Gensokyo, Genius of Sappheiros, and Genso no Ronde. Amusingly, the combination of this and the Bemani x Touhou collaboration will be branded as "Toho Game Show", i.e. "TGS", a very blatant parody of the Tokyo Game Show.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:33:21 AM by Drake »

cuc

« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »
"Toho Game Show" is an in-joke from Nikenme Radio. Because the Indie Game Festival part of Tokyo Game Show 2013 featured Touhou a bit too prominently (remember all those Touhou live performances that ZUN went out of his way to avoid?), Okonogi said: "The first time I saw the programme schedule, I thought it was Touhou Game Show."

The Reitaisai site has also been updated with circle lists for Reitaisai in Taiwan.

71 circles registered from the Taiwan side:
http://reitaisai.com/rtstw/circle-entry-list-tw

72 circles from the Japan side:
http://reitaisai.com/rtstw/circle-entry-list-jp
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:38:23 AM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2015, 04:17:11 AM »
ZUN: I've submitted the material to print. Can't go back now.

ZUN: I have a feeling that the real work has yet to come...
He seems particularly nervous about this submission. Could this be "the thing"? It hasn't been very long since he started talking about it again.

« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2015, 06:52:20 AM »
At first I thought it was a game, Touhou 14.8 or something like that since he said he's been eager to try making it, which gave me the notion that it's probably not a main game normal Shumps.

But reading this now, could it be a book? A novel perhaps? Because that's gonna be interesting for sure.

cuc

« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2015, 09:06:14 AM »
He said 印刷物, "printed matter", which in this context is more likely some brochures or flyers rather than full books. He should be talking about something he will release at Reitaisai. In turn, this suggests his new release will not be a game demo, which has no jackets, but a full game or a music CD.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:16:02 AM by cuc »

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: Touhou 15 contains spoilers for Touhou 14.5
« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2015, 01:42:47 PM »
The truth of ZUN's "printed matter" remains a mystery. It could be something entirely new, a new flyer for Reitaisai, or it could just be the next Forbidden Scrollery chapter.

He replied to a question about the appearance of Touhou arranges in arcade rhythm games:
ZUN: They have my permission. The condition is that they must obtain the consent of the musicians. While these are cases of commercial use, my stance on them is the same as with doujin fan creations: I will not give them any additional instructions regarding their content. I think it is a good thing for the musicians to gain more exposure. (Even better if this brings more business to the arcades.)

In today's Nikenme Radio stream, ZUN told us LoLK contains spoilers for ULiL. He also gave some long speeches about his personal philosophy, which I'll try to translate if I can find a summary.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »

In today's Nikenme Radio stream, ZUN told us LoLK contains spoilers for ULiL. He also gave some long speeches about his personal philosophy, which I'll try to translate if I can find a summary.
Maybe i'm reading it wrong, but how can LoLK contain spoilers for ULiL if it comes after? You sure it isn't the opposite?

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2015, 04:53:47 PM »
Maybe i'm reading it wrong, but how can LoLK contain spoilers for ULiL if it comes after? You sure it isn't the opposite?
Well if you played LoLK before ULiL, then you could say that it does contain spoilers.

Fumi

• Dragon of Seven Colors
  • Disaster in Takamagahara
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »

It would be like if you played Hisoutensoku before UFO (They released the same day) or if we were to be more general in terms of playing any game at any time (after full release) it would be as if IN contains spoilers for both PCB and EoSD

cuc

« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2015, 03:15:06 PM »
The truth of ZUN's "printed matter" remains a mystery.
Now we know that his "printed matter" refers to the LoLK demo disc labels. Talk about a stretch.

Some info from April 23's Nikenme Radio - yeah, remember that this was from the day after LoLK's announcement.
- ZUN had been busy developing almost without leaving home since March.

- When LoLK was announced, ki-san asked ZUN: "How do you pronounce that?" (Referring to the game's main title, "Kanjuden", which has a rather archaic pronunciation.) This is how secretive ZUN has always been.

- ZUN: "The moment I decided I'll burn the game, a great weight left my chest!"
Here I'll explain a bit about the logistics of making doujin games. Mass-producing CDs and burning CD-Rs are two entirely different processes, as the former is done by stamping whole discs on a production line. At ZUN's scale - a few thousand copies - this is significantly cheaper than burning CD-Rs, not to mention other issues with the later.

However, only specialized plants have the facility to make CDs, so you need to make reservations with them, and must fit into their schedule. (ZUN and his friends usually work with Popls, an outfit specializing in printing doujin books and CDs.) You need a few days of buffer time, and can't put your hope on getting your CD printed the day before Reitaisai. Thus, ZUN deciding he will delay the deadline to the last day was an important decision.

- ZUN talked about having to redistribute his energy for making games to life and parenting.

- In his creative endeavor, the barrier of technology he has to overcome has been lowered, while the barrier of the mind has been raised.

- ZUN: "'Do what you enjoy.' I'm incapable of thinking in a different way." "What raised and nurtured me is 'Heaven'." "Only those who take a hold of luck can succeed." "I aimed for the gaps within luck."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 04:34:58 PM by cuc »

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: last update before Reitaisai 12
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2015, 04:15:18 PM »
April 25 was the first day of Niconico Super Conference. Despite some hard partying beforehand, ZUN seemed to take on everything with stride as usual. The name of ZUN-beer had still not been decided, so he asked visitors for suggestions. In the end, he overruled all suggestions, and simply called it 超幕張ラガー "Super Makuhari Lager".

This year's Conference has produced its fair share of ZUN-anecdotes. ZUN tweeted one: "The moment I noticed, I've already become a Love Liver." But the majority of them came from the official Reitaisai livestream, which I happened to have missed.

1. Reitaisai organizers: "Recently the fandom has become easier for newcomers to get into, hasn't it?"
ZUN: "The world of Touhou is better now. I won't say why, but the annoying people have left."

The sensationalist bloggers immediately seized onto this: look! ZUN is talking about KanColle fans!

Honestly, I can't tell what exactly he was talking about. For all I know, he could be referring to the doujin shop White Canvas.

2. A fan: "Does Kagiyama Hina-chan have friends?"
ZUN: "There is such a character?"

Now that's how ZUN trolls people.

3. No one seems to have uploaded a recording of the whole stream, and all I can find is a video where ZUN told interviewers in a hoarse voice, if there is ever a Touhou anime, he would write everything himself.

ZUN: There are many more Super Conference attenders this year, but with very little disorder, so its attenders have now become experienced. Owing to you, I have recovered my MP. Thank you.

ZUN: However, this is the fourth Super Conference, and three times I've got my throat sore there. Perhaps the environment there is particularly bad for the throat.

Afterwards, he did the usual tweeting inbetween taking breaks...
ZUN: I ordered beer at Kakuyasu, but they have run out of beer boxes. I will be without beer for one day till they get their new boxes. A life and death situation.

ZUN: Just as I tweeted, the wife came back with some Hitachino Nest Beer for me. With this, I can now go hide in my nest. [We caught a glimpse of LoLK from this photo.]

He resumed answering young people's questions:
Someone: Sorry for the abrupt question. Recently I've become interested in Touhou Project. It is your circle that made the initial danmaku games, isn't it? What is the relation between Manpuku Jinja and you? I apologize for my ignorance. I will keep on learning about Touhou.

ZUN: Touhou Project is an overarching title for the oeuvre I have created. You can call them my way of life. Outside of the things associated with me, everything is a derivative fan work.
Someone: My friends from a Touhou LINE (a chatroom app) group said things like, Touhou is over, and Kannushi also wants to end it. Is what they said true? Your music has made me cry. Both your music and games are so great, I don't want to see them end, so I want to know how you think about it.

ZUN: Thank you for asking. Whether in the past or in the future, my attitude has always been "make what I make when I want to". Even if all the players are gone, I think I would still not stop making them.
(Answering another young person...)

ZUN: I never set out with the goal of achieving what I have today, nor did I make any sort of special effort. All I did was to put in a little, enjoyable effort, for the goals right before me. If you ask someone like me to give you some advice, I can tell you to treasure what you can achieve now, and carry on while keeping it enjoyable. Well, also pay attention to your exams.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 04:51:49 PM by cuc »

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »
Quote from: ZUN
"What raised and nurtured me is 'Heaven'."

Is there any particular meaning in this? Like, an idiom or some religious concept?

Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: ZUN's 38th birthday
« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2015, 05:40:50 PM »
So in today's stream, ZUN got really drunk and rambled a lot of things, including many PR-unfriendly things like, I dunno, cheerfully announcing "the Touhou-related media companies are all my slaves", it seems he said that. The fandom, from stream watchers to people who heard about things second-hand, had been greatly entertained.

Wait, is there any clarification/context behind this? Because this seems very... disturbing.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: ZUN's 38th birthday
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2015, 10:28:13 PM »
Wait, is there any clarification/context behind this? Because this seems very... disturbing.

(Actually, in another occasion he also said he'd make a Touhou anime if people can prove to him that making anime is as fun as making games. Given that the anime industry's management and treatment of its workers are about a hundred times worse than ZUN's hated mainstream game industry, I'd say the likelihood of a Touhou anime shouldn't be overstated.)

Obviously, he was attacking to the PR department itself (different from, let's say, IT or accountability), not attacking Touhou's public image. Everybody hates marketing, and that's why many lulz were had.

Drake

« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:25 AM »
ZUN: Since during game production I've really neglected them, for the next two weeks it'll be all family time.

ZUN: In just a bit we're going overseas.

ZUN: What a southern feel. We've come to Palau.
Southern from Japan of course meaning something more tropical and exotic.

Drake

« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »
Since I can't really think of a spot to put this, even though parts have been mentioned here and there...

Yesterday's Nikenme broadcast seems to have had a couple of interesting tidbits mentioned by ZUN, summarized by @DraculaStoker:

- ZUN isn't sure whether or not he'll be able to finish LoLK by C88
- Flandre can't converse very well, so she doesn't go out
- Possible change [in artist] for WaHH? (please correct if this was the wrong interp)
- Reisen's species being listed as Human was in fact a mistake
- ZUN wanted to put a broken satellite into the background of Tenshi's fight in SWR
- Let's buy Splatoon

Also, ZUN: I'm not gonna let you say stuff like "Touhou is an easy game" lol

Hoho, maybe it bugs him a bit? Maybe this is where we see LoLK ramping up in difficulty?

(definitely adding more later)

« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »
- Possible change [in artist] for WaHH? (please correct if this was the wrong interp)

Maybe I'm missing some context, but I thought it was about a change in magazine or something, which I thought cuc had already mentioned a while ago.

Drake

« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2015, 11:42:40 AM »
Looking up use cases for the term used, that seems much more appropriate.

Also as said above I'll elaborate more on these in the morning since there are other accounts with more details.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »
I almost want to say the part about Flandre is more that he hasn't been able to make an interesting story about her, which is why she hasn't been in anything lately. It's probably a lot clearer in context.

« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2015, 09:31:09 PM »
I almost want to say the part about Flandre is more that he hasn't been able to make an interesting story about her, which is why she hasn't been in anything lately. It's probably a lot clearer in context.

That's how I read it too. ZUN can't write well for Flandre, so he doesn't use her in stories.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »
- ZUN isn't sure whether or not he'll be able to finish LoLK by C88
Yea, if that is the case it will be C89 aka Winter Ket at this rate.

Personally I don't mind that. LoLK is seriously good impacting demo, no need to rush it.

Drake

« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2015, 07:52:50 AM »
ZUN: In-store reservations for Touhou Kanjuden start tomorrow. If you're interested, please confirm stock at any doujin shop's website.

ZUN: Getting high praise while still mid-development. Rather, from here on is the real thing.

Has it become a running joke with ZUN yet that it's always going to be "the real part is yet to come"? I feel like he's said this way too often recently.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
"I still need to work my fucking ass off to finish this." is what I get as a vibe :V

Maybe having a child is after all slowly influencing his effective focus on his development?