Author Topic: [COMPLETED] Roll to Dodge - A Multiplayer Game of Chance  (Read 73452 times)

[COMPLETED] Roll to Dodge - A Multiplayer Game of Chance
« on: October 18, 2014, 03:49:47 AM »
I haven't seen one of these in a while, so let's do this!

For those of you who haven't played a game like this before, you simply give an action and I will roll a dice. The number you get corresponds to the outcome of that action, which can be...

1 - total failure: sometimes the opposite of what you want to happen, other times you fail so badly that you die and are removed from the game. However, you can be revived if the next roll allows that.
2 - failure: you fail to complete the action, and that's it.
3 - barely a success: you succeed in your action, but not without some sort of injury, loss, or disadvantage.
4 - success: you succeed in performing the action, nothing more, nothing less.
5 - perfect success: you complete the action, and your next roll gets 1 added to it.
6 - EPIC WIN: your success leads you to something beyond your expectations, which usually pushes the plot forward.

You are your own character, and you can interact with other characters, non-player characters, the environment, and any objects that may be present.
If you are attacked, I will roll for you without any action from your part, with the following outcomes...

1 - pichuuunn~: you get hit, and you die.
2 - close graze: you get hit, and you suffer a severe injury, which will usually result in death later on if not taken care of.
3 - graze: you get hit, and you suffer a minor injury.
4 - miss: the attack misses you.
5 - counter: the attack misses you, and you counterattack.
6 - bomb: the attack misses you and the attacker is put off-guard, leaving you in an advantageous position with the opportunity to perform any action you specify next. I will update for you as soon as possible after you give the command, and you may issue another command afterwards.

Almost any action is permissible, but keep in mind that you often must work as a group to advance the storyline and make progress.

I will roll for everyone and update once per day, usually between 9PM and 11PM EST/EDT. If school, work, travel, or other important events cut into my schedule in a drastic way, I may have to skip the update. In that case, I will notify you in this thread, usually with an estimated return date.

--- See next post for the story ---
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:25:44 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

Re: Roll to Dodge - A Multiplayer Game of Chance
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 03:50:19 AM »
BGM

You find yourself in Gensokyo's Bamboo Forest of the Lost.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:54:23 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
>Look around.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »
Aw yiss, it's been awhile.

> Meditate because why not.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »
>Look around.
[5] The forest is packed with bamboo thickets in all directions, but your keen vision makes out an opening path to your right.

Aw yiss, it's been awhile.

> Meditate because why not.
[4] Although there are the sounds of wild youkai in the background, you sit down near a tree and close your eyes. In a short moment, the sounds you were hearing subside as you enter a state of enlightenment.

EDIT: I will stick to the once-a-day update schedule as stated in the first post.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:20:02 PM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 06:38:34 PM »
> Use newfound enlightenment to find way out of the forest.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 06:52:02 PM »
B-but the point is one update a s
day so everybody has a chance.

> Find Mystia

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 01:07:56 AM »
> Use newfound enlightenment to find way out of the forest.
BGM
[3] You wake up from your meditation and try to find a way out of the forest. After hours and hours of walking, you finally find an exit. Not long after you make it out of the forest and find yourself on a mountain road, your vision begins to blur as a result of severe dehydration and fatigue.

B-but the point is one update a s
day so everybody has a chance.

> Find Mystia
[3] You find Mystia, but you probably startled her, because she fires a barrage of danmaku straight at you.
[4] Due to your quick thinking and reaction, you duck well in advance for the bullets to zoom past you and disappear into the distance.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 01:49:37 AM »
> Try to find water before passing out.

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
  • Should I be concerned? I think I should be concern
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »
>Forget walking! Fly by sheer force of will above the bamboo and out of the forest once I see the nearest edge of the forest!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:17:11 PM by an unmatched sock »

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
>find nearest playable character

Don't lynch me.

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »
>equip nearest object as weapon
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Talking to yourself isn't a sign of madness. Expecting a reply is.
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
>Become meguca

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 02:27:55 AM »
> Try to find water before passing out.
[4] Although your head is spinning from fatigue, you notice a small spring off the path, with enough fresh water to rejuvenate you minutes before you completely black out.

>Forget walking! Fly by sheer force of will above the bamboo and out of the forest once I see the nearest edge of the forest!
[4] You close your eyes and concentrate with all your energy, and you begin to float. As you ascend above the tall bamboo stalks, you look into the distance and see a village to the northeast.

>find nearest playable character
[5] BONUS: Your next roll gets 1 added to it.
Nearby players:
  • PX
  • LaserTurtle
  • Dudu Zombolt
Nearby in-game characters:
  • Mystia Lorelei
  • Several bugs crawling around the bamboo thickets

>equip nearest object as weapon
[3] You attempt to break a branch of bamboo from the nearest stalk. As you snap it off, you cut your arm on another branch. There is a visible gash, and it begins to bleed. On the bright side, you now have a rigid bamboo stick with a sharp, chiseled tip.

>Become meguca
BGM
[5] You are now a magical girl, complete with an incredibly moe outfit and a staff that allows you to cast telekinetic spells.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:29:31 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 02:53:33 AM »
Glorious, glorious hydration.

> Claim the spring as my own.

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 02:55:45 AM »
>STEM BLOOD FLOW WITH MANLINESS
>failing that, call for medic.
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 03:09:12 AM »
>Ha-HA! That village looks important-like! I shall fly my way over there. Perhaps they have a store where one may purchase goods and material objects.
>Also, along the way, willpower up some delicious Yatagarasu. I shall fuse my way to unlimited power! But unlike the last RtD, I don't want to be the bad guy. Nuclear fusion is always cool, though!
>Nuclear fusion is pretty dang awesome, right?

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 03:17:17 AM »
Aw yiss, it's that time!

> Retrieve arms Equip yourself with adequate weaponry without making a silly reference

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

ActionDan

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »
> lead mystia to px

Don't lynch me.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
>Find something cute
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 09:14:34 PM »
>check inventory plox
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 02:12:10 AM »
Glorious, glorious hydration.

> Claim the spring as my own.
[6] After drinking copious amounts of water, you decide that it is in your best interest to claim the spring as you own. After looking around for any signs of prior ownership, you discover that there is none. In addition, you also find a bloody dagger under a tree, which you wash clean and take as a weapon.

>STEM BLOOD FLOW WITH MANLINESS
>failing that, call for medic.
[1] You focus and attempt to tighten the wound, but you fail miserably and the wound grows wider. Blood splurts out from the wound and you yell "HELP ME, EIRIN!!!!"
[6] To your complete surprise, Eirin Yagokoro lands gracefully in front of you, bandages up your arms, and gives you a first-aid kit, good for patching up any mild-to-medium wound.

>Ha-HA! That village looks important-like! I shall fly my way over there. Perhaps they have a store where one may purchase goods and material objects.
>Also, along the way, willpower up some delicious Yatagarasu. I shall fuse my way to unlimited power! But unlike the last RtD, I don't want to be the bad guy. Nuclear fusion is always cool, though!
>Nuclear fusion is pretty dang awesome, right?
[3] You fly towards the Human Village, but since you weren't trained in flying, you sprain both your ankles upon landing and collapse immediately.
[6] That doesn't stop you from conjuring a Yatagarasu, fusing with it, and gaining the powers of NUCLEAR FUSION!!! You also receive a nuclear-powered railgun that fires concentrated gamma-ray streams.
[4] The RNG agrees with you, nuclear fusion is totally awesome.

Aw yiss, it's that time!

> Retrieve arms Equip yourself with adequate weaponry without making a silly reference
[5] You now have enough dakka to level a mountain or two. Or three, depending on how you use those newly-acquired guns of yours.

> lead mystia to px
[2] (+1) You run up to Mystia, but you also seem to startle her. She fires yet another volley of danmaku, this time aimed at you.
[5] PX, who just dodged a stream of non-spellcard bullets, yells "HEADS UP!" at you, causing you to instinctively slide to the side, grab the nearest piece of bamboo branch, and hurl it up towards the night-sparrow youkai. It smacks her right in the face, causing her to lose her balance and tumble to the ground.

>Find something cute
[4] You find a small family of three dango cuddled tightly between some bamboo thickets.

>check inventory plox
[2] You have nothing aside from a "Sun's Out Guns Out" bro-tank, a pair of athletic shorts, worn-out sneakers, and socks that don't match. You certainly weren't in your best-dressed self when grandma gappy Yukari gapped you in.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:20:51 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 02:21:29 AM »
>Did I say you could break, ankles? Mend yourselves and become good as new, now!
>>Failing that, call out "Citizens of the Human Village! Do not be alarmed, I mean no harm, but I must see someone important. Perhaps Kamashirasawa Keine. And...if someone could bring her here, that would be great. Walking isn't exactly my forte right now." How embarrassing.
>>If my ankles become repaired due to SHEER HOT-BLOODEDNESS, make my way towards the nearest plot point! Floating either due to fusion awesomeness, using my neat new wings, or just by willpower is optional, and recommended by the command-giver.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 02:44:43 AM »
> Offer up the dagger to whatever deity resides in the spring.

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »
>import inventory from previous RtD games, obtain STEAMROLLERBOT PRIME

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 04:16:36 AM »
>Aw shit, that's adorable. Use the surrounding aura of cuteness to obtain the ability to shoot cuddle beams from my eyes.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 04:57:06 AM »
>Screw walking, running, flying, floating, driving, sailing or teleporting! Dance my way out of this forest.

ActionDan

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 12:47:16 PM »
>Now is our chance, hug mystia while she's down

Don't lynch me.

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 05:24:54 PM »
> Awright! Adequately armed, attempt to find a path out of the forest.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 03:26:28 AM »
>Did I say you could break, ankles? Mend yourselves and become good as new, now!
>>Failing that, call out "Citizens of the Human Village! Do not be alarmed, I mean no harm, but I must see someone important. Perhaps Kamashirasawa Keine. And...if someone could bring her here, that would be great. Walking isn't exactly my forte right now." How embarrassing.
>>If my ankles become repaired due to SHEER HOT-BLOODEDNESS, make my way towards the nearest plot point! Floating either due to fusion awesomeness, using my neat new wings, or just by willpower is optional, and recommended by the command-giver.
[2] "Did I say you could break, ankles? Mend yourselves and become good as new, now!" you yell at your feet. Nothing happens, and passersby begin to stare at you with peculiar looks on their faces.
[4] As more and more people begin to gather around you, you explain to them, "Citizens of the Human Village! Do not be alarmed, I mean no harm, but I must see someone important. Perhaps Kamashirasawa Keine. And...if someone could bring her here, that would be great. Walking isn't exactly my forte right now." A group of young men leave and return with the were-hakutaku in question.

> Offer up the dagger to whatever deity resides in the spring.
[5] BONUS: Your next roll gets 1 added to it.
After deciding that you'd rather not keep such a mysterious blade around, you toss it into the spring.

>import inventory from previous RtD games, obtain STEAMROLLERBOT PRIME
[2]
Code: [Select]
>import ~/games/RtD/archived/LaserTurtle.sav
I/O ERROR: The file "LaserTurtle.sav" is corrupt and cannot be imported.
>_

>Aw shit, that's adorable. Use the surrounding aura of cuteness to obtain the ability to shoot cuddle beams from my eyes.
[3] You now have the ability to shoot cuddle beams from your eyes. You become giddy and excited as you fire pink beams of hearts out your eyes just by concentrating your vision at something. As you do so, you run into a thick patch of bamboo, and knock yourself out. A few hours later, you wake up with an intense headache.

>Screw walking, running, flying, floating, driving, sailing or teleporting! Dance my way out of this forest.
[4] You waltz merrily 'round and 'round, and somehow you end up on a mountain path, not far away from Kasu's spring.

>Now is our chance, hug mystia while she's down
[1] You run towards Mystia and try to hug her. Just as you bend down to grab her, she turns around and claws you right in the face. Searing pain runs through your body, which begins to subside as you feel your soul leaving your body. As you float above the gruesome scene, you see her clawing away at your remains, while PX screams in fear.

> Awright! Adequately armed, attempt to find a path out of the forest.
[4] What do you do with big guns? Fire 'em, of course. You pull the trigger on both of your vulcan machine-guns, and within seconds, you tear a clean path through the forest. As the smoke clears, you see a red Shinto shrine gate in the distance, atop a mountain.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:35:27 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »