Author Topic: Fan animation from China: Hifuu Club Activity Record  (Read 139261 times)

Re: New fan animation project from China: Hifuu Club Activity Record
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »
Just finished watching it on Youtube, too

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »
So, I don't know if this is real or a hoax, but the OP is (allegedly) up now.

Just quoting myself to get this on the next page.

e: Thoughts on this:

- Love the ley lines
- Animation looks a little stiff, but the art is pretty great
- I have a feeling danmaku battles are going to be a wonder to behold
- Is that .... lipstick Yukari is wearing?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:11:24 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »
Also, this one featuring Mouko, which makes me wonder what role can she play in this anime ?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2014, 07:26:27 PM »
I like anything with Renko and Maribelle in it by default, but the art and music in the OP are both very nice.

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »
Also, this one featuring Mouko, which makes me wonder what role can she play in this anime ?

Since the series is going to be about the tales behind the tales, I'd imagine they'll explore Mokou's background as a Fujiwara. A few things from the top of my head:
  • her life as an unwanted child
  • her reason for seeking revenge on Kaguya (understandable if Fuhito was a good man, but in the case that he wasn't...)
  • how she got her phoenix powers
  • her reunion with the moon princess

If we're going with the assumption that the circle will tend towards real life references and historical research, they are likely to touch on Taketori Monogatari due to wealth of literature on that, and the fact that her father is an actual historical figure and was featured, albeit with a different name, in the story itself. (Personally, I'd like to see them tackle the question of why 'Prince Kuramochi' a.k.a. Fujiwara no Fuhito was said to have disappeared into the mountains, despite the clan leader having lived publicly and died of old age. I always thought that the 'Prince' near the end of the tale, who assaulted the workers/counterfeiters and left, was actually Mokou. The attack could be seen as her violent reaction to her father's public shaming, and her 'disappearance into the mountains' could refer to her following Iwakasa and the Imperial soldiers up Mt. Fuji. It also seems to be a convenient excuse to remove someone from the family tree... But, meh, that's my heacanon.)

Or they might not go that route, and focus on the more fantastical side of things, e.g. the Legend of Hourai, Fenghuang or Suzaku.  :)

I hope they'll give a similar treatment to Kaguya's backstory, as there are a lot of angles they can take hers on. Anyway, I hyped myself up way too much.  :V

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2014, 05:55:12 AM »
?her reason for seeking revenge on Kaguya (understandable if Fuhito was a good man, but in the case that he wasn't...)

If we are to assume it is similar to the tale of the bamboo cutter, then, he is an ass. All of the suitors are.

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2014, 01:07:19 AM »
If we are to assume it is similar to the tale of the bamboo cutter, then, he is an ass. All of the suitors are.

Ah yes, true. Thanks! It'll be interesting to see their take on Mokou's vengeance, if they do decide to go in this direction.

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
So the DVD is now available on Melonbooks.

I'm assuming it's the Japanese version.
Also, I wonder how they managed to get a 1080p video playing on a DVD?

StainGlass

• Not the only one
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2014, 05:52:32 AM »
What are the contents of the DVD?
Is it a full episode? Currently I believe it's just the opening and two Doujin books? Is that correct?

I'd like to buy it if it's a full episode already, if not, I'll wait :)

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »
What are the contents of the DVD?
Is it a full episode? Currently I believe it's just the opening and two Doujin books? Is that correct?

I'd like to buy it if it's a full episode already, if not, I'll wait :)

I think it is just as you believe, although they are using funds from this DVD to continue to make animations.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2014, 12:32:07 PM »
Indeed, the "Prologue" package contains a DVD-ROM with 1080P MP4 files for the opening, and two comic booklets.

I might do something stupid like becoming the official English translator of the project, but that's for a later time. For now, you can take notice that the site has been updated with a tease about the first full episode, concerning past events on the moon such as the first Lunar War, which they hope will be released in 2015. With character concept art for chancellor Eirin and little Kaguya.
http://kyotofantasytroupe.net/archives/257

Oh by the way, I've put exactly zero thought into it, but obviously, for this stuff to get an English release, some logistical details must be involved. Their current plan is to do a digital release on the English version of DLSite. Do you find this a feasible method for the international release? What's your opinion?

I can imagine optimal cases where physical English discs can be produced, but even then, can we justify the cost of distributing it?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:12:50 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
It might be feasible. I've seen it used, the tricky thing is to setting up a way to avoid piracy. DLsite's methods of anti-piracy tends to be extremely invasive.

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »
How about in MelonbooksDL?

cuc

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »
Well folks, they updated the page, announcing the next thing.

Episode 1 "Moon"'s got a story so massive, it needs a 80-page companion comic.

The comic will be drawn by NEKO, as his comic debut.

The book is standalone, they'll release it at Reitaisai 12 (May 10). The actual episode may be completed by the end of the year.

BTW a pedantic note: in commonly accepted usage, the English words "anime" and "manga" refers to Japanese productions only (which differs from their usage in Japanese), so Record is not an anime, and this comic is not a manga. Other existing words are "manhwa" for Korean comics and "manhua" for Chinese ones; call it a manhua if you want.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:33:14 PM by cuc »

Re: Fan animation from China: Hifuu Club Activity Record (Reitaisai 12 comic)
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2015, 04:51:02 PM »
I can't wait!  The lore behind the moon is one of the most fascinating in Touhou in my opinion.

Also, regarding that note, what would be a Chinese equivalent for an animated production?

cuc

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »
I suspect "manhwa" and "manhua" came into use because publishers wanted to emphsize the comics' countries of origin in marketing. No one has done that for Chinese animations, so there isn't such an English word. The Chinese word for animation is "donghua", which somehow doesn't sound like it'll be popular in English :/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:10:07 PM by cuc »

cuc

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »
Da poster. NEKO's art is... very NEKO.

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
Re: Fan animation from China: Hifuu Club Activity Record
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2015, 05:21:01 AM »
Is the comic going to be in Japanese? Or Chinese? (Or both lol) Also can you read it without watching the animation?

cuc

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
It's released at least half a year before the episode, it had better be able to stand on its own lol. The real question is whether the episode makes any sense without the comic.

The releases outside of China will of course be localized. However, the songs will always be written and performed in Japanese by the Chinese doujin music group Yonder Voice. If they are going to do voice acting, it'll be in Japanese by well-known Japanese VAs.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:39:34 PM by cuc »

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »
Woo! Another Touhou fanime! I'm really looking forward to this one, I think the backstory of certain characters is the most interesting part about them, to see a whole anime on backstories is just what I wanted. Really looking forward to how they do Mokou, Byakuren, Sanae and Sakuya's backstories.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 06:41:08 AM »
While I'm still excited, I'm questioning the legality of this. Didn't ZUN put certain restrictions on fan anime?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »
While I'm still excited, I'm questioning the legality of this. Didn't ZUN put certain restrictions on fan anime?
What do you mean by "certain restrictions ?"

Anyway, strictly speaking, this is a fanwork (an anime one, but still fanwork) like any other, so it'll be okay so long as it follows the guidelines, which it's been doing. It'll be as legal as "a summer's day's dream" and "fantasy kaleidoscope" methinks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:02:36 AM by Suspicious person »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »
I don't think there's restrictions, just concerns about when one of the anime was using pro voice actors.

Only anime I know that has the stops put on it was from animate (I think?), who were a company rather that doujin circle.

Shouldn't have any worries yet.

anthonyshu01

• Rin Kaenbyou
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2015, 03:43:53 AM »
Oh man, this is the 1st time I've seen how animation is made.

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2015, 07:43:54 AM »
What do you mean by "certain restrictions ?"

Presumably referring to this:

Quote from: ZUNs derived content guidelines 2011 revision
I'd like to place the following restrictions on all
derivative works, regardless of whether they're commercial or independent:

For-profit development of works whose main element is animation(*)

* By this I mean so-called "traditional cel animation"; computer-generated 3D
animation and 2D illustrations with special effects processing aren't included
in this restriction.

cuc

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2015, 11:36:13 AM »
I'd like to place the following restrictions on all
derivative works, regardless of whether they're commercial or independent:

For-profit development of works whose main element is animation(*)

* By this I mean so-called "traditional cel animation"; computer-generated 3D
animation and 2D illustrations with special effects processing aren't included
in this restriction.
About one year ago, I've written about this at MotK. In short, this rule was poorly conceived. It was hastily made to shut down the Animate X Touhou project, while completely ignoring the fact that there are fan creators whose chosen medium of expression is traditional cel animation, and who have always acted in good faith. Even if you are an amateur animator who draws your own Touhou anime using simple B&W sketches, this rule would bar you from selling it at conventions, not to mention higher profile works like Touhou Kinema Kan and Touhou PVD.

Hearing the fan outcry, ZUN revised the 2011 guideline two days after releasing it, changing this particular item to "commissioning corporations for the production of animation" (アニメーション製作を企業に依頼する行為).

EDIT:
I make the post above in my usual role as a neutral observer of the Touhou phenomenon.

As you can see, I'm associated with the Hifuu project closely enough (while being neither directly participating nor its official representative) that I'm not really the right person for making certain comments about it, positive or negative.

In any case, it probably doesn't involve "commissioning corporations for the production of animation", as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:58:05 PM by cuc »

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 07:12:37 PM »
That makes a lot of sense considering the animated work that has been coming out since the announcement - I figured the likes of Summer Day's Dream pt2/manpukujinja's work got a pass because they were in the works when the announcement was made, but that definitely explains why they're still ongoing. Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like the restriction isn't much of a restriction at all.

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »
While I'm really looking forward to this one, I hope it'll be better than the other two fanimes out there.
Memories of Phantasm has good art and animation but that's frankly all it's got going for it, while Summer's Day Dream is just abysmal.

This one has a lot of potential judging by the plot and the main characters (which I both really, really like), so I really hope they won't fuck it up with fanon memes or fanservice.
The "serious" plot seems to imply that they'll avoid that and stick to a serious route, but I'd rather keep my hopes not too high and be pleasantly surprised, than keeping my hopes up and end up disappointed (like I've been with every MoP release , SDD's "fight" scene,...)

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2015, 06:29:15 PM »
Oh wow how did I miss this thread? It's been here for months, too, so I really don't know what to say. =P

This looks amazing. I'm really looking forward to it. If anything, the artwork is great (what a cutie younger Byakuren is!) Merry and Renko aren't exactly my favorite characters but they do work very well as a means of framing the story and exploring many different unrelated scenarios, so that's cool. And hey, it's not like many favorite youkai characters aren't going to be involved, so that's even cooler. =D

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one. Hype get!

cuc

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2015, 02:47:44 AM »
A website update.

The 24-minute long Episode 1 will focus on events of the first lunar war, which will be complemented by background information provided by the comic.

The Lunar Capital will get a few original characters, two of which are important. They will be introduced in the next update.

Character designs (for the animated part, they emphasize):

Eirin (in Lunar Capital)

Kaguya (adult)

Kaguya (child)

Toyohime

Yorihime

Yukari (during lunar war)

Yuyuko

Suika

Some expressions:

If the character designs look different from the previous update (Eirin and child Kaguya), it's because these were the concept art, which is different from proper character designs for animation production, though I still have no idea how they expect designs of this level of detail to get actually animated.

If they appear to have a different style from the designs of the Prologue, it's because they've got one (or more?) new designers.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:53:46 AM by cuc »