Author Topic: Sword Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 52615 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Sword Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »

>You are Toyosatomimi no Miko, Gensokyo?s finest hermit!
>Yours is a curious case; once emperor of this entire nation (except for Hokkaido, Okinawa, and such), you retired away to undertake a ritual to grant you immortality and bring you closer to perfection of being. It worked beyond your wildest expectations, transforming you to the person you?ve become today. One might complain about how long it took, but the results have been worth it. You live in seclusion with your retainer, Futo, and your former consort, Tojiko, refining your mastery over the art of the Hermit and catching up on the 1500 or so years of your nation?s history that you've managed to miss out upon, and trying to understand the nature of this land of Gensokyo. You are not certain which of those two fields has managed to shock you more.
>You have stepped down as a ruler and renounced your birthright, but you do try to maintain a noble?s gravitas. Your interests these days involves perfecting your hermitry, and eventually ascending to the ranks of the celestials. While you no longer have a true interest in leading the masses, you do feel that Gensokyo need to be united under a single leader. At the very least its human population will not do particularly well in its currently weak and disunified state against the likes of the youkai, one cannot depend on corrective measures such as a shrine maiden forever?
>Of late, you have learned of a growing unrest within the human village and on the urging of Futo and Tojiko, have visited to assess the situation. To your mild surprise, you have found that a small handful of villagers have some interest in Taoism. While you have no intention of taking on any pupils, you are contemplating giving them some basic instruction and seeing how it goes over. You've also heard some rumors of a contest regarding some bit of lost onmyoudo lore.  Your investigation has led you to spend the evening in town, or rather, just outside of it. A kind farmer offered to loan you some space for the evening. This space, you were a little dismayed to discover, was her barn. However, it would have been rude to spurn her offer, so you graciously accepted and spent the evening on a pile of clean straw; thankfully the barn is currently free of livestock. Perhaps someone will build an inn someday?
>You have just woken up, and have found that your entourage is curiously missing. More disturbingly, so is your sword! Now you sit upon a pile of hay in the middle of an empty barn, the morning light streaming through cracks in the walls. This  is more than a little worrying, for that sword is no mere weapon! It is a vestige of your former life!

>_
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:40:49 PM by Purvis »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Miko Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »
MINE ALL MINE

> Inventory (try not to think about the missing sword
> More specifically, did we think to bring a change of clothes?
> Notable relationships/acquaintanceships
> Where do we live normally?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »
> Inventory (try not to think about the missing sword
> More specifically, did we think to bring a change of clothes?
> Notable relationships/acquaintanceships
> Where do we live normally?

>You inventory contains:
>Regal Clothing
>Strong enough for a monarch, simple enough for a hermit.
>Harmony Earmuffs
>This does much to cut down the babel of voices you can hear from other people. Particularly strong desires can still get through.
>Travel Bag
>A sack for keeping your things in.
>Change of Clothes
>If you're going to overnight, you should probably have one of these.
>Bag of Konpeito x3
>Apparently it is regarded as good manners these days for a royal to give these guests and such, they didn't have such things in your day!
>You do not have many close relationships, given the secluded nature of your trade. However, you are well known to the two major Shrine Maidens Gensokyo, as well as Marisa and Yuyuko. You know briefly of an underground civilization and a western mansion somewhere. Rumor has it there is a mansion from your time out there somewhere? In more personal terms, there is Futo, who is ever loyal to you well after the bonds of blood and power have washed away. Tojiko, as well, though things are a tad more complicated with her, given your former relationship. There is also Seiga and her cheerful minion, whose wicked heart has caused you to cast her from your presence for the time being in hopes that she will reflect upon her poor character and improve.
>Your true home is Senkai, a realm in the cracks between spaces that you have wrought through your art. It is inaccessible to others, making it the perfect place for a hermit to dwell and refine her art. You have build a dojo there; a somewhat crude place, truth be told, as none of your entourage are skilled in carpentry or engineering.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »
> What about any Buddhists in the area?
> Tangentially related to this, how do we feel about the idea (and apparent reality) of a land full of youkai?

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
> What about any Buddhists in the area?
> Tangentially related to this, how do we feel about the idea (and apparent reality) of a land full of youkai?

>Those guys. You prefer not to think about them or attend to them. Futo seems a lot more passionate about them, though.
>Frankly, it's kind of terrifying. You are more than a little suspicious of any youkai who claims to behave or be civilized. Well, perhaps not the tengu, as they were indeed one of the earliest civilizations in Japan, but you still are a bit wary of them. However, you have had to admit that at least in the short term, some of them can act like decent beings; these days you are more worried about the long term. It is not difficult to conceal your feelings when necessary; interacting with distasteful people is a necessary skill for a ruler.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »
> Between us and them, who started it?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »
> Between us and them, who started it?

>Who started what, precisely?

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »
> Oh, well. Disregard that question, then.
> How have they treated us?
> What's the deal with the Mask of Hope?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:59:53 PM by Kilgamayan »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »
> Oh, well. Disregard that question, then.
> How have they treated us?
> What's the deal with the Mask of Hope?

>By and large, things have been civil, if cool, with the buddhists themselves. This because they prefer to let Nue and the tanuki do their dirty work; they've made no secret that they don't trust you.
>You haven't thought about those things in ages.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
> Perhaps it could be worth trying to smooth things out with their matriarch, then. At worst, it would be amusing to see them befuddled and lost for how to react.
> But we can concern ourselves with that later. Let us get changed, so we can begin our investigation into our missing loved ones and sword.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »
> Perhaps it could be worth trying to smooth things out with their matriarch, then. At worst, it would be amusing to see them befuddled and lost for how to react.
> But we can concern ourselves with that later. Let us get changed, so we can begin our investigation into our missing loved ones and sword.

>It would be fun, at least, to trip them up after they tried to interfere with your resurrection.
>You quickly change into some fresh clothing, frowning a little at the straw clinging to your old clothing.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »
> Brush off what straw we can and stow our old clothes away.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »
> Brush off what straw we can and stow our old clothes away.

>You clean off your used clothing and stow them away.

>_

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 04:22:57 PM »
>Examine our surroundings for any clues.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
>Examine our surroundings for any clues.

>Looking around, you find the barn is largely empty. There are some tools hanging from crude pegs on one of the walls, and a perch for some chickens that is presently out of use. A couple of stalls seem to serve as home for oxen or draft horses, but they too are unoccopied; Futo claimed one of them last night, and you can see the pile of straw where she slept is still there. Nothing strikes you as particularly awry. A large door, presently closed, rests on the western wall. A window near the apex of the  roof allows light to come in; wooden slats have been places to prevent someone from easily flying inside. Obvious exits are west.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »
> Which gender pronouns do we prefer?
> Only one way out, huh? Might as well exit that way. with our stuff, of course.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
> Which gender pronouns do we prefer?
> Only one way out, huh? Might as well exit that way. with our stuff, of course.

>You are female, though Crown Prince tends to be the title you prefer when it comes to such things.
>You leave the barn, pushing aside the large door and stepping outside. The morning sun hangs close to the horizon, but you imagine it must have risen an hour ago. An intolerably late awakening you for, you must be depending on your companions more than you suspected. A field of nearly ripe rice stretches before you, communally farmed by a number of peasants. Some of them are already making their way between the rows, looking for weeds and pests. The sky is clear, but the air is not quite as warm as you might expect; autumn will be coming soon. To the north, you can see the small mudbrick home of the farmer you lent you her barn for the night, and can hear some sounds of activity within. To the southeast, you can see the edge of the human village, perhaps half a mile away. A worn footpath wends toward the south. Obvious exits are east, north, and south.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »
> Mayhaps the farmer has seen our companions? Head to the house and knock on the door.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 06:42:22 PM »
> Mayhaps the farmer has seen our companions? Head to the house and knock on the door.

>You make your way toward the house, where you can hear pots clattering. The back door hangs open; with a small yellow cat lazing near the doorframe. It grudgingly moves as you approach, then plops down just inside the door.
>Inside the house, your hair brushes the top of the ceiling. A sleeping mat is folded in the corner, and old clothes are tossed hapzardly in another corner. A few cheap wallscrolls of bustling scenes add some color to the otherwise dreary place. The odor of millet fills the air. Your host, a young, sun-burned woman wearing a simple dress, by the name of Aoi sits in the middle of the small room, stirring a pot of millet over her brazier. You can just catch the whispered sounds of her desires at the edge of your hearing, not quite distinct. "Mornin'," she says. "Though you guys had left already."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 06:50:55 PM »
> Give our host a slight bow.
> "A pleasant morning to you. Thank you very much again for your hospitality. It does seem my companions have departed already. Did they come by here, by chance?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
> Give our host a slight bow.
> "A pleasant morning to you. Thank you very much again for your hospitality. It does seem my companions have departed already. Did they come by here, by chance?"

>She bows back to you, as well as she can from her current position.
>"Naw, they slipped out awhile go," she says. "Saw 'em heading toward town around dawn."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »
> How do we keep our hair up?
> How tall are we?

> Frown.
> "I see. They did not tell me of this...hmm. Did you happen to notice if either of them were carrying anything?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
> How do we keep our hair up?
> How tall are we?

> Frown.
> "I see. They did not tell me of this...hmm. Did you happen to notice if either of them were carrying anything?"

>It just kind of fluffs up like that.
>You are of about average height.
>"I think the ghost-looking one was carrying something that was kind of long and thin," says the farmer, pursing her lips. "Kind of wrapped up in cloth, I think? Now that I think on it, seemed like they were in a hurry."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »
> Where's our ritual baton?
> Have we given Aoi konpeito yet?

> Okay, at least they have the sword, instead of...well, anyone else, really. Still, hurrying is worrisome.
> Maintain composure. It would do no good to worry in front of strangers.
> Nod.
> "I believe I know what they had. It is better that it is in their hands than having been stolen, at least. Still, I fear I must pursue them expediently."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
> Where's our ritual baton?
> Have we given Aoi konpeito yet?

> Okay, at least they have the sword, instead of...well, anyone else, really. Still, hurrying is worrisome.
> Maintain composure. It would do no good to worry in front of strangers.
> Nod.
> "I believe I know what they had. It is better that it is in their hands than having been stolen, at least. Still, I fear I must pursue them expediently."

>That's in the bag right now. We were focused on swords and forgot.
>You gave her a bag last night.
>You ponder this turn of events, and maintain your composure without too much effort.
>"Well, I was gonna offer you some breakfast," she says. "But if you need to be off, I won't keep you."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 07:26:49 PM »
> ...How hungry are we feeling?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »
> ...How hungry are we feeling?

>You could use some breakfast, frankly, but you're hardly starving.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »
> "Well...if you have some prepared already, then I would not turn it down. But if it would take time to prepare, then unfortunately, I must decline."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »
> "Well...if you have some prepared already, then I would not turn it down. But if it would take time to prepare, then unfortunately, I must decline."

>"It's about done," says Aoi.  She indicates toward a mat near the brazier. "Make yourself comfortable."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »
> Nod again.
> "All right. Thank you."
> Have a seat and wait for food.