Author Topic: Riverbed Soul Saver English Patch, anybodyu?  (Read 22376 times)

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
Riverbed Soul Saver English Patch, anybodyu?
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »
Anyway, like what the topic says, is anybody interested in an English Patch of Riverbed Soul Saver?
I'm currently editing just the pictures of the game, and hopefully, I'll get started on the text.
Does anybody want to help, particularly with translations not found on the Touhou Wiki and/or design of the font?

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
Re: Riverbed Soul Saver English Patch, anybodyu?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »
I only translated the Enemy Name Pictures for now,

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:56:51 PM »
It's amazing timing someone's put up a thread. I've been inserting the dialogue and spellcard names off of the wiki and into the game, using Tahoma font to keep it consistent with MPP, and so far the spellcard names for gameplay and Reimu and Yukari's story has been inserted. The MAJOR problem, however, is the formatting. The balloons do not automatically fit to new text, and I've been scratching my head as to how to make it so the text doesn't overflow the balloon. Has anyone looked at the lib_balloon.dnh file? That needs to be edited somehow to allow this, otherwise this might not be possible.

EDIT: Oh, also, the spellcard names, instead of being in the middle of the spellcard name area, are usually bunched up against the top, unlike MPP where they weren't. I'm not quite sure which part of lib_cutin_02.dnh needs to be changed in order to fix that, but I DO know that lib_cutin_02.dnh is the file that handles that.
Also I forgot to mention, I translated the spell select screen a bit and moved over the pie chart to fit the English text.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:00:40 PM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:56:57 AM »
It's amazing timing someone's put up a thread. I've been inserting the dialogue and spellcard names off of the wiki and into the game, using Tahoma font to keep it consistent with MPP, and so far the spellcard names for gameplay and Reimu and Yukari's story has been inserted. The MAJOR problem, however, is the formatting. The balloons do not automatically fit to new text, and I've been scratching my head as to how to make it so the text doesn't overflow the balloon. Has anyone looked at the lib_balloon.dnh file? That needs to be edited somehow to allow this, otherwise this might not be possible.

EDIT: Oh, also, the spellcard names, instead of being in the middle of the spellcard name area, are usually bunched up against the top, unlike MPP where they weren't. I'm not quite sure which part of lib_cutin_02.dnh needs to be changed in order to fix that, but I DO know that lib_cutin_02.dnh is the file that handles that.
Also I forgot to mention, I translated the spell select screen a bit and moved over the pie chart to fit the English text.

Thoughts?

Ooh, nice~
That looks good~
Anyway, we need someone who's good with Danmakufu for the DNH file-changing.
I'm just up for the images.
I'm still looking for suitable font styles that would match the game, though.

I also need to know the font used for Difficulty Select and Stage Select (Practice), as well as the font used for the intro of the stage (the one where there's "Ultimate Gate", "Ngai", etc.)

Drake

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
What you want to look at is the CreateBalloonManager() function being called. It looks like this:
CreateBalloonManager( [ CenX-32+mpos[0], CenY+32+mpos[1] ], 4, text, count, 0 );
The second argument (4 above) is the long parameter of the function and controls the width of the dialogue bubble in increments of something like 76 pixels. Tweak the number to get longer/shorter bubbles.

However this method is manual and sucks and because of the large increments it's hard to get a good fit anyways. Tomorrow I'll post some stuff that'll fix this problem.

I don't know what the problem is for the Spell Card names, could you elaborate on what happens now and what you want?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
Oh, what I wanted was the text to appear similarly to how it does in Mystical Power Plant.

This is how it's looking in RSS right now. One thing I can fix manually is the spacing on that text (goddamn I'm just seeing now how spaced out it is and it's kind of horrible, ugh), but I don't know where exactly in the function it calls for moving the text from when its created at the bottom to the top. Based on its positioning, it moves to Y-coordinate 0, whereas in MPP...

It fits neatly just below the bottom of the screen.

Also one thing I've noticed is the fact that the boss name is overlapped constantly, that needs to be changed. I can probably find the function that controls the position of the boss name and move it down just a bit, but otherwise, yeah. Thank you for finding which variable in CreateBalloonManager() did that. I store at that thing and it made my head spin with all of the variables that I wasn't sure did what.

EDIT: Managed to fix those problems with the spell card name myself, I finally found the right number to change.

SECOND EDIT:

Final results, boss name moved slightly downward to account for long spell titles, I don't know if shrinking it as well is a good idea, but for now it should be fine. Finding the function that draws the boss name was a bitch because it was in the last place I could have thought it would have been, but there you go.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:06:19 PM by Validon98 »

Drake

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »
Righty, so replace the contents of script/Th_rss/lib/lib_balloon.dnh with this:

http://pastebin.com/Fnb1uGdx

I changed it so that it uses shorter blocks in the middle section of the dialogue bubbles, and I added a function to calculate how many of these are needed so you don't have to manually test on each line of dialogue.

When editing dialogue, every new bubble should have a CreateBalloonManager() call, and you need to replace each long argument (the 1~4 number before the text and count arguments) with GetBalloonLength(text).

I've tested this on Marisa's stage 1 dialogue and it seems to work just fine there. If there are any bugs or it doesn't work well enough let me know.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 03:16:54 PM »
Alright, thank you very much! I'll go through and redo Reimu/Yukari's dialogue and do Marisa/Patchouli's dialogue with this later today, then run through the game to make sure it stuck properly.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »
...Why am I suddenly getting this error, I never touched anything that should be giving this error:

EDIT: Okay, so I think I know what the problem might be, but I have no way of knowing what file is causing this problem or how I'm meant to fix it. For some reason, the player ID (spl) and the boss ID (enm) is not being defined suddenly, whereas they were before. Would it be possible to fix these by independently defining those variables within the files themselves that need them, using functions that call for IDs (GetPlayerID, etc.).

SECOND EDIT: ...Now it's giving a "file cannot be interpreted (did you forget any ";"s)" error for the lib_balloon.dnh. I don't even know what's going on anymore, even after fixing the other problems by just calling for the proper IDs using GetPlayerID and GetEnemyBossObjectID().

THIRD EDIT: ...AHA, it was because the file wasn't encoded in ANSI for some reason and UTF-8 was messing it all up! Okay, I think this fixes everything now. I can't believe that the whole cause for this whole mess was because of an encoding error. I bet this is why spl and enm weren't being defined either, because this failed to interpret, therefore it caused Danmakufu to not register all of the proper files latter down the lib list. I'll test that out, but I bet my theory's right on the ball.

FINAL EDIT: Yep, I was right, it was all because of the incorrect encoding of the new lib_balloon.dnh file. Now I can test this out on the final stage (I want to test that because I extended the auto text changing time, because it was way too short to read the dialogue right before the final spell, so I doubled it).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:09:39 PM by Validon98 »

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »
Well, if anyone is interested, I started a translation of RSS recently. When most of the stuff is ready, I'll create a separate topic (unless someone else complete translation before me).
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Well most of the stuff has already been translated on the wiki, but there's still some stuff missing so far.

EDIT: Has anyone figured out which font is being used by the game for the image text? I've gone through every font in Word and I can't find a suitable match. It's not really like I could do much with the font myself, but it would be good for whoever would be doing the image editing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:15:28 PM by Validon98 »

Drake

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 03:40:22 AM »
...Which images? There are a lot of fonts.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 06:11:56 AM »
...Oh, uhh... I specifically referring to the stage images in this case. Not too sure about the other ones.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 01:18:16 AM »
So, quite a while ago I made some image edits for this game based on the wiki translation, just to use by myself, because I didn't really know if this was ever gonna get translated and I already did a lot of these kinds of things for thpatch. Obviously that means I based most of these edits on the same stuff I used for TH13 and 14.

Allow me to throw these here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj3pjwk4i9c3e8g/THRSS%201.01d.zip

They're all in the proper folders already. It has image translations for UI elements (high score, score, etc), enemy titles, music titles, and stage names.
It also includes a translation for the music room text, in the scene folder.

Feel free to not use any that if it's already been done, though! Just thought I'd actually share these instead of leaving them unused.

And a quick screenshot to show what it looks like:

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 07:33:45 AM »
Whoa, you found the right fonts for everything? Nice job! It doesn't seem like anyone else has done image edits for those things yet (I think someone did for boss titles, but that's it), so this is much appreciated!

The thing I'm mostly waiting on before making more progress on it is for the rest of the story dialogue to be translated. After that, I'll move ahead on inserting the rest of it and at least releasing a proto-English patch. There's still some other images (character selection/difficulty selection) and text (endings, spell comments, options) that'll need translating/editing too, but we have most of the essentials ready. Just waiting on the rest. :V

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 09:41:36 PM »
Apologies for necroposting, but any progress on the patch?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 03:02:29 AM »
Yeah, I'd like to know how progress on this is going.

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
Personally, haven't done progress, I guess same for the others.
I'm busy, school and all, so I can't really work on it, and my previous files went corrupt, so yeah...  :ohdear:

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »
To be honest, I've been waiting for the Phantasm to come out, since I was almost 99.99% sure I would have to reupdate the story files with the translations, and that looks to be the case here as well. I will work on this again probably within the next week or so, I'm going to mostly wait on the Phantasm story translations to be made, then I'll start work again and hopefully at least get the story files themselves all patched up. Hopefully I won't have to redo too much of the work I did already. ^^;

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »
Got a PM regarding the fonts used in my image translations, but apparently I can't send them until I have a certain amount of posts. I guess there's no problem posting these things here, though.

I totally forgot I'd even made these translations, so sorry if something ends up being inaccurate.
So, here's a list of the fonts used. Thinking back, I probably should've done this the first time I posted the images, but it totally slipped my mind.
One of the hurdles I encountered when translating this game is that some of the fonts used are commercial, but I guess anyone with enough google-fu can find them through... other means.

I used University Roman for the stage titles, because it's the same one used for the secondary titles (the ones referencing cthulhu mythos). It's also used in the menu titles.
I also used Aparajita for the location titles (and for music titles). I'm not sure if it's an exact match, but it's similar to the font used for the "STAGE" text.
For the boss titles, I used HW Andy, because it's the same one used in the thpatch translation of TH14. The font I used in the UI is Seagull, again because it's the same one used in the translation patches.
Also, I didn't actually change these in the patch because the text is already in english, but: as is the case with most Touhou games, the font for the difficulty is Revue, and the one used in the "spell card bonus" and etc is Peignot.
I've tried to find the font used in getspell_rank01b back when I made the translation, but I haven't really been successful...

Now, this may be unnecessary, but I'm also posting three photoshop files I made. I figure it might be useful if someone wants to actually keep the translation up to date. Note that I didn't intend on actually messing with this again, so I no longer have some of the files and also a few of them are outdated, but still, I guess it's something??
Here you go!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
Thank you for your efforts, in any case, and for finding the fonts used by the game itself (I figured the one for the stage secondary titles was one that wasn't a default font in Photoshop, given I went through every font one by one to find it).

Most likely, if someone can get a full translation of the shottypes and whatnot (they have translations, but not necessarily every single thing), I can do what I can with that, and I'll find a way to take care of the Phantasm stuff that you weren't able to do at the time. I know that the shottype background image got cleaned up by someone (I forget who, but I know it was posted in one of the RSS threads), so there's that.

EDIT: On second look, it seems the stage name for Phantasm is textured, rather than merely colored. I'm not quite sure how I would be able to get the English title to match that. Here's the image file, for those curious:

SECOND EDIT: A temporary solution, unless people say it looks fine as I have done it, was to find a texture and color combination that simulates the pattern. I think the one I've found does a decent enough job, but if anyone thinks it's not close enough of a fit, I'll continue experimenting.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:33:42 PM by Validon98 »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 01:35:16 AM »
Making a completely different post for this, but I have begun to recreate the work I have done with English patching the game. As a result, I have put together a partial patch that contains all of my old efforts, and a few new ones, combined with the work done by monoraccoon. This patch contains or changes:

All spell card names translated in-game only, not in the spell practice menu (that I will fix later in time)
All stage titles translated
Reimu and Marisa's main game stories translated, Futo's story, Extra stories, and endings pending
In-game UI elements translated
Spell practice menu translated (sans spell names and descriptions)
Text length code by Drake updated to account for slight differences in lib_balloon.dnh
Auto advanced dialogue before the final spellcard advances slower to give more time for reading

Installation: Replace the th_rss folder within the script folder for RSS with the one in the patch folder. Everything is in the correct place already, so no need to worry about that, although I recommend backing up your th_rss in case something breaks.

Download here

If anyone's able to help out with remaining image translations, as well as with Phantasm-related translations, that would be helpful. My next goal with this is to insert the translated dialogue for Futo's story and the Extra stories, as well as get spell card names translated on the spell practice menu.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »
Pardon me for asking but any progress on the patch since then?

I checked the wiki and it seems like everything except Phantasm scenarios has been translated. I don't know if this current English patch is compatible with v1.02b (Overdrive update that added four new Overdrive cards).
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
Uhm, Hello.

Over the last weeks, I've added everything I could to make a complete English-Patch for the game. I used the Patch posted by Validon98 (I hope you don't mind that) as a basis and added the following things.
-Complete Translation of Futo's main scenario.
-Complete Translation of all Endings.
Complete Translation of all Difficulty- and Shottype-descriptions (Altough I had to remove that background on the Shottypes, because I suck at Image-Editing. If anyone had a template for that background, it would probably take 5 minutes to fix it, though.)
- Complete translation of all Extra- and Phantasm-Scenarios.
-Complete translation of the Music-Room.
- Added the Spellcard names to the Spell-Practice.

Please note that I don't speak Japanese, therefore I used the translation from the Wikia.
There are also some things, that are still untranslated:
Most of the Comments in the Spell-Practice-Mode
The manual
Some minor menu things.

I'm not sure if it is compatible with Version 1.02b, but if it only were 4 Extra-Spellcards, there hopefully won't be many problems. I think, I have checked everything for mistakes, but there could still be some, that I overlooked, so it would be good if someone could tell me.

And before I forget

Here's the download https://mega.nz/#!NhFRkaQZ!0kZEBgNBSzBJwc4Ts4UOFf7I0lp0p9YmetapCj_BRY8