Author Topic: Nan Desu Kan 2014 - Hopeless Masquerave  (Read 6623 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Nan Desu Kan 2014 - Hopeless Masquerave
« on: September 09, 2014, 01:12:58 AM »
only Touhou-related picture of Denver blah blah blah you know the drill

(previous NDK threads: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)

Finally in my fifth year of attending NDK, we are stepping up the game. Browsing through the programming schedule, you might notice a little oddity at 9pm on Saturday:

Wait. Can this be true?! Check page 18 of the program guide to verify!

THAT'S RIGHT. We're finally having a Touhou panel at NDK. Courtesy of Kilga, Wolfie-Kate, and myself. Look forward to it!

Now, since I know several visitors are coming in from out of town to NDK this year, I have decided I will help you figure out how to get from Denver International Airport to the Marriott at the Denver Tech Center in two painless steps. Mind, this scheduling is based on weekday schedules, since I am assuming you're coming before NDK weekend or on Friday.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR OUT-OF-TOWNERS FOR GOING STRAIGHT FROM DIA TO NDK

Note: if you have trouble figuring out the directions, always remember: the Rocky Mountains are to the west at all times, and the sun rises in the east. From DIA, NDK is to the south.

Stage 1: DIA

Upon obtaining your luggage, the single best thing you can do for yourself if you are lost as hell is to ask one of the nice old white ladies around the airport wearing stetsons and standing behind information desks. They are here to help, and they know where everything in the airport is. In fact, if you can't figure out where to pick up your luggage, they will help you with that too.
Once you have your luggage, ask them for directions to RTD Skyride. Skyride is on level 5, and you are likely on level 4 right now. Once you're on level 5, head towards the buses. If in doubt, please consult this image from RTD's website:

You are looking for Route AS (Airport-Stapleton), as opposed to AA, AB, AF, and AT, which will take you to Boulder and Denver and whatnot*. The shortest way is to cut across Aurora, however, so you're looking for Route AS. Wait for it to show up, wait for everyone to disembark, and then hand the driver your luggage if it's too big to carry on. Fare is $9 (this is another reason to cut across Aurora because the other SkyRides are more expensive and take longer. BE SURE TO ASK THE BUS DRIVER FOR A TRANSFER AS SOON AS YOU PAY YOUR FARE. If you don't, then you'll have to pay again later on, but the transfer will get you on the next bus for free. If you don't have change, I recommend stopping by one of the restaurants inside DIA to buy something small.

Route AS has two stops total. The first is DIA. The second stop is your destination, Stapleton Park and Ride. Service is every half hour starting at 4:10 am until 1:10 am, so you're fine no matter what time you're flying in (unless it's at 2am I guess). There is absolutely nothing to see between DIA and Stapleton, though, so just sit back with a book or a handheld game and get comfortable until the shuttle pulls into Stapleton PnR.

Stage 2: Stapleton PnR

The SkyRide will drop you off at Stapleton PnR, Gate A. From here, you are heading in almost a straight line southwards.

You are at the very beginning of bus route 105. It starts at Stapleton PnR, and its final stop is the Denver Tech Center, which is your destination. To catch it, walk over to Gate B, which should be a few yards to your right when you got off the shuttle. Wait until it shows up, let the passengers get off, and then get on. Fare is $2.25, but if you got your bus transfer from SkyRide, it's free. Just show the driver your bus transfer when you get on board. Make yourself comfortable, because you're going to be here for the next 50 minutes.

Stage 3: 105 is just 3 away from DEATH

Route 105 will take you straight to the Tech Center with just a bit of walking afterwards. The RTD map is lacking, I feel, so here is Google Maps instead:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stapleton+Park+and+Ride,+Denver,+CO+80238/Denver+Marriott+Tech+Center,+4900+S+Syracuse+St,+Denver,+CO+80237/@39.7471119,-104.867071,14z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x876c7b9fd3dd4431:0x8f95adbac38fb6d3!2m2!1d-104.892532!2d39.768553!1m5!1m1!1s0x876c86fda2941805:0x8000467f79cabf60!2m2!1d-104.901789!2d39.626922!3e3

Should that link not be working, I have included a map in screencap form, with a few useful additions.

Part 1, Stapleton
Part 2, Aurora down Havana Street
Part 3, Hampden to DTC

Feel free to pay attention to the route, especially once you're on Hampden Avenue, since there are lots of restaurants there to potentially go to.

Detail on Denver Tech Center

Upon entering the DTC from DTC Boulevard, the 105 bus route subsequently will turn onto E. Union Ave. Down Union Avenue is where you want to go. The last bus stop on the route is there, at S. Ulster Street and Tufts Avenue. Get off the bus, walk back towards Union Avenue, and walk westwards, and at S. Syracuse street, you will be face to face with the Mariott, where NDK is to be held.

If you've still got any questions, please feel free to ask!

*You noticed that, huh? Yes, there is an alternate route to NDK. I don't really recommend it because the 105 through Aurora is much more straightforward, but it's there if you want it for some ungodly reason. From DIA, take the AF instead of the AS (which will be $11 instead of $9). Do NOT get off at the first stop; get off at the second, Union Station. You'll recognise it because it's underground. Climb upstairs and you should see the Light Rail lines E, C, and W. Purchase a ticket at the ticket counter; select B and choose Belleview station, and make it a one-way ticket. Pay your fare (should be $4, iirc) and get on Line E when it comes along, and take it all the way to Belleview station. It will leave you right across the highway from the Mariott. Climb up the stairs, across the highway, and down the hill, and the Mariott will be to your left. More information on the Light Rail is here.

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: Nan Desu Kan 2014 - Hopeless Masquerave
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:29:55 AM »
This year I shall be making an appearance as well! Just not on the panel. But I'll be there! o/

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:16:03 AM »
touhou road show gonna get a MIIIIIIIIILE HIIIIIIIIIIIGH

This Bostonian finds sensible road design frightening and infuriating. I do not adapt well to change!
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 02:45:09 AM »
Oh god kilga please do not get really baked and eat all the muffins

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:20:10 AM »
I'll be whatever I wanna do!

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 05:27:53 PM »
Currently waiting at the RTD SkyRide Island outside the airport. Next AS bus is coming in less than 10 minutes.

This place is nice and cold. Reminds me of home. I like it here already.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 05:51:44 PM »
Whoa, Kilga panels now strike the Rockies? This ought to be good!
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »
I just stood in like a super-long line for registration.

In my pajamas, thinking it didn't start until noon and I wanted a good spot in line.

Apparently it was SNOWING here. The lobby is so fucking cold.

There was an Elsa running around down there.

I blame her.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
Apparently it was SNOWING here. The lobby is so fucking cold.

Welcome to Colorado! It'll be 90 degrees in the afternoon.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 10:14:19 PM »
First Touhou get! Found Komachi in the line for the Dealer's Room when I went down there about 10 minutes ago.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 01:12:46 AM »
MOD PARTAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 03:44:52 AM »
currently sitting in a hotel room listening to PC-98 songs with Kilga and Matsy while eating horribly unhealthy junk food. I can dig it.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 03:48:01 AM »
Late night cosplay fast food runs are fun. :>

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 07:42:50 AM »
Yours truly got to provide the extremely manly voice for the extremely manly Osaka Banchou in OMGWTFOTL for the visual novels panel! I also won Planetarian from the panelist for volunteering. A good end to the first night of the con.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »
IT BEGINS

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
THE ULTIMATE BUDDHIST IS HERE

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 02:12:11 AM »
50 minutes until panelage. There's a certain frightned-yet-excited thrill to doing a panel for the first time at a new-to-me con. I can't remember the last time I felt this way in a panel lead-up.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 05:11:40 AM »
Panel a success! I am very pleased with how tonight went.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 04:14:09 AM »
Several days late, but the reason I have been totally silent is because I am packing frantically for a much longer, larger trip (yeah, three days after NDK). So I haven't been able to do much of anything with the photos because I've just been so busy. I'm also not going to be able to correct this soon, I think, so I have no idea when I'll be able to post the photos I took. At the most, all I can do right now is upload the photos with zero narrative, explanation, or even names, and that's if I'm lucky.

e: I did manage to upload them all, but they are all unprocessed and unedited for better lighting and so on, because I just don't have time to do that right now. All the same, they're here. http://imgur.com/a/i0FQp

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »
Do you mind if I post the tunnel ones from Friday night on the Tumbler?

EDIT: Well, since you're not sure when you'll be back, I'll just go ahead and do so. Yell at me when you get back if you like. :v
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:58:11 PM by Suwako Moriya »

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 04:24:45 AM »
Glad to see that tunnel is still being used for Touhou cosplay photos years later.

Nice to see Ruro again and meet Kilga.  It's a shame that I didn't get to see your panel though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 05:13:30 AM »
Oh hey i haven't said much here

I have pictures too! I just have to like resize them and stuff.