Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou - Rebirth  (Read 41791 times)

Re: Labyrinth of Touhou - Rebirth
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 05:55:18 AM »
any chance someone can just upload rebirth somewhere? finding a 2.04 laby by itself is annoying, and with this kind of being its own game, it should probibly deserve its own full download, other then just the patch download as a laby1 mod.

to make it more interesting, you should take  some of the mediocre characters like rumia,  remilia, and rinnosuke and just completely rework them with new skill sets as well.

I'm quite sure you haven't looked hard enough. A few of my friends were able to find it without any problems. If a mod says it's ok and it doesn't violate the rules, I can upload my 2.04 files, but they are out there already.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the reason it's posted as a patch rather than the full game is because of the rule where you can't pirate around here (Or do it openly anyway). Whether it's a mod or not it still requires the original game.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:02:49 AM by Blazefire »

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 08:14:04 AM »
Yeah, uploading the full game would definitely be a no-no by the forum rules, even an outdated version.

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 06:48:40 PM »
I'm really enjoying this game so far. The beginning is way easier than the vanilla game's but it's too easy.
People have already commented on
Spoiler:
Seija
's offensive spells but I like her support ones a lot as well. Since they're cheap and she's moderately fast, they're nice to help clearing random encounters right after you get her.
I have one question, though. Was messing with
Spoiler:
Tam's Foe
's AI intentional? Because it uses
Spoiler:
Flowing Hellfire
whenever it wants instead of once every 4 turns.

Edit: I restarted the game and it stopped using
Spoiler:
Flowing Hellfire
twice in a row and followed its AI like a good boss. I don't understand what happened since I got three game overs because of that before restarting.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:33:38 PM by Ryin »

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2014, 08:47:38 PM »
any chance someone can just upload rebirth somewhere? finding a 2.04 laby by itself is annoying, and with this kind of being its own game, it should probibly deserve its own full download, other then just the patch download as a laby1 mod.
Wait, what.
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 06:28:45 AM »
I'm really enjoying this game so far. The beginning is way easier than the vanilla game's but it's too easy.
People have already commented on
Spoiler:
Seija
's offensive spells but I like her support ones a lot as well. Since they're cheap and she's moderately fast, they're nice to help clearing random encounters right after you get her.
I have one question, though. Was messing with
Spoiler:
Tam's Foe
's AI intentional? Because it uses
Spoiler:
Flowing Hellfire
whenever it wants instead of once every 4 turns.

Edit: I restarted the game and it stopped using
Spoiler:
Flowing Hellfire
twice in a row and followed its AI like a good boss. I don't understand what happened since I got three game overs because of that before restarting.

It, and the other bosses like it, will skip steps in their AI pattern if they try to target empty party slots.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »
Sorry for the lack of replies lately. I've been busy with another project (and haven't had much spare time anyway, TBH..).

Quote from: dawnbomb
any chance someone can just upload rebirth somewhere?
As others have said, this would violate the boards' policy on piracy. You can try applying the patch on a later version of the game though. It could work just fine. If not, absolute worst case, you'll only have wasted a few moments trying. Really, the game just needs a few .dxa files. If the only changes between your version and 2.04 are changes to the exe and not the dxa files, everything will be fine.

Quote from: dawnbomb
to make it more interesting, you should take  some of the mediocre characters like rumia,  remilia, and rinnosuke and just completely rework them with new skill sets as well.
I'm sure you'll be quite pleased with the changes made in LoTR (if you haven't gotten it to work yet). :)
Edit: My bad, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. It would be difficult to do anything about the characters that are no longer in LoTR but those that still are could certainly be modified. Feel free to post your ideas; right now, most changes being made involve the remaining original LoT characters so, yeah... it's the right time for these sort of suggestions. :)

Quote from: Ryin
(boss ai...)
Well, others have already answered this, but for what it's worth, here is the AI it normally uses. As you can see, it skips over invalid cases in its regular behavior without using up a turn. You're VERY, VERY likely to see Flowing Hellfire every single turn if only the 4th slot contains a character (>90% odds of skipping all 3 single-target attacks) because of the low odds of that slot being chosen.

I've consolidated changes to the unmodified characters into a list based on what was discussed in earlier posts (mainly by Reiska; don't worry, I didn't just skip over that wall of text :P) and will be posting it in a few days to see if anyone has anything to say about the changes before I implement them. Probably this weekend.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:28:40 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
It, and the other bosses like it, will skip steps in their AI pattern if they try to target empty party slots.
Well, others have already answered this, but for what it's worth, here is the AI it normally uses. As you can see, it skips over invalid cases in its regular behavior without using up a turn. You're VERY, VERY likely to see Flowing Hellfire every single turn if only the 4th slot contains a character (>90% odds of skipping all 3 single-target attacks) because of the low odds of that slot being chosen.
That's interesting. I don't think this ever happened to me before even though I finished the vanilla game a few times.

Also I tried to build
Spoiler:
Sukuna
for
Spoiler:
Shining Needle Sword
and, as other people have already stated, it's really not worth it.
Spoiler:
Inchling's Hell
still deals almost the same amount of damage even though it only has a few Library levels going for it. I love the idea of having her base attack to be kind of low and thus requiring
Spoiler:
Grow Bigger!
to use her like that so I'd suggest giving the spellcard a better multiplier to keep the theme. I also didn't find
Spoiler:
Wall of Issun
particularly useful. Maybe if you made
Spoiler:
the defense buff stronger so it's not just a half Hakurei Border
?

And about
Spoiler:
Kagerou's
battle. She one shots unbuffed tanks with her single target skills and my entire buffed team with
Spoiler:
Star Fang
. I'm definitely still not ready for her.

Edit:
Spoiler:
Medicine
's third spellcard currently buffs the back row's MND and DEF by 15%.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:40:34 PM by Ryin »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
Edit:
Spoiler:
Medicine
's third spellcard currently buffs the back row's MND and DEF by 15%.

So that's where those came from. I was always wondering about those mysterious buffs my people had.
I took another look and it even does that when it doesn't cure Poison so you can buff up your Defenses in a really short amount of time for next to no SP. I doubt that that's intended. :V

And about
Spoiler:
Kagerou's
battle. She one shots unbuffed tanks with her single target skills and my entire buffed team with
Spoiler:
Star Fang
. I'm definitely still not ready for her.

I remember having some troubles with her. If I remember correctly she's weak to
Spoiler:
Paralysis
and you can abuse that. Other than that the fight wasn't particularly memorable... Maybe I went and did it slightly late or something. Or I happened to have the right elements against her.

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2014, 01:54:46 AM »
I remember having some troubles with her. If I remember correctly she's weak to
Spoiler:
Paralysis
and you can abuse that. Other than that the fight wasn't particularly memorable... Maybe I went and did it slightly late or something. Or I happened to have the right elements against her.
The enemy viewer says her resistance is 30 and she has no weaknesses. I think I'll have to postpone the battle. Thanks for the tip anyway.
And yeah. It also took me a while to realize where those mysterious buffs were coming from.

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
Hi, so I've been enjoying this game for the past weeks, and I must say you've done a great job Ethan  :)
But I have a little problem with the postgame, cause in 9f hibachi is nowhere to be found.
The teleporter has appeared but hibachi hasn't (i've got 2 stars) so can someone help me out pls?
(there might be some grammatical errors, but i'm not English/American, so be kind  :ohdear:)

EDIT: Also, after cheat engine for the item star (not gonna grind that hard for the drops, nope  :]), I don't see stairs to 21F, nor some of the V2 bosses (Orin and Reisen), how to get to them?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:39:00 PM by ShadowYoshi »

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 07:22:26 AM »
Hey there, this hack looks very interesting!
I really want to try my luck at LoT again, after I failed to get over the 30F grindwall in the original two years ago, but I noticed that both links are dead.
Could someone reupload them please? :)

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 04:34:06 AM »
I am also interested in this. If someone would be willing to re-upload it would be greatly appreciated.

SacredWind

• Ordinary Magician
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 11:50:59 PM »
I saw youtube videos of this hack not too long ago and it looks very good. It looks like the link to it has expired though. Does anyone still have the hack and if so can they reupload it for those of us trying to download it? It would be very appreciated, thanks!
Nicknames: Sacred, SacredWind.
Touhou Achievements:
Easy 1cc: PCB, SA, UFO
Normal 1cc: IN, MoF, TD

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »
Reuploaded for anyone who might need it  http://www.mediafire.com/?mbk74rqytie0ypi/ (It's an initial version, sadly I don't have a v1.1 patch.)

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
Reuploaded for anyone who might need it  http://www.mediafire.com/?mbk74rqytie0ypi/ (It's an initial version, sadly I don't have a v1.1 patch.)

Sorry for the long hesitation, so much to do, but I should have made this more of a priority. I do have the v.1.1-exe to add to the other download. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/b1qbifyvoodr7ra/LoTR_v1.1.zip

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2014, 04:15:09 AM »
Take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt, as I've *only* played this patch, and my knowledge of the original game comes from my mechanics-oriented pal who is reading up on the original LoT formulas/etc beside me right now.

I am guessing that it's easy to determine who was subbed in for who based on the conditions in which the characters were obtained. This means that
Spoiler:
Komachi
got subbed out for
Spoiler:
Momiji
? Really?  That's one hell of a trade. Also hey, I like Sanae. Some people like Sanae. :P

I would say I wish that characters were purely added instead of just subbed in, but I expect it was easier to switch out people instead of just add folks. Granted,
Spoiler:
Shinki
showed up early in game, and I *think* she was totally new?

I'm curious also as to why Evade hasn't gotten fixed. Evade still does nothing, and that means that all the characters who are supposed to be balanced out by their lack of accuracy (Marisa for one) are going to be OP as all hell. Marisa sure does kill everything, though I can't complain too much about that. Or did you nerf them in accordance with this? (Or did the game originally have this made up for?)

Thank you so much for making the game less grindy. It has been way more fun to play your patch than LoT for just this reason, let alone all the others. :)

Also did you drop the number of battle points requirements to recruit
Spoiler:
Yuyuko and Yuugi
? Because otherwise it will be a pain in the bum to get the sheer number of battles required for that.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:23:47 AM by Alcoraiden »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2014, 07:24:14 PM »
Geez. I stopped receiving email notifications for this thread, oddly enough. I thought it had died out, then other projects came up and I just forgot about it. Weird.

Many thanks to Terminal Velocity and Gesh86 for reuploading the hack. I've edited the first post accordingly.

Quote from: Alcoraiden
Some people like Sanae.
Once I rise to power, those people will be the first sent to work in the radioactive salt-mines.
I kid, I kid. ...Well, mostly... :P

I would say I wish that characters were purely added instead of just subbed in, but I expect it was easier to switch out people instead of just add folks.
There's simply no room for extra characters (short of recompiling the game with a larger "group" size, but I don't have access to the source). Increasing the space available manually involves many very messy changes (reserving extra memory, relocating the group info to account for its new size, updating every single reference to it to point to the new location, modifying the character setup functions to include the new characters, going through the same process to add space and data for their spellcards, creating new events for the new characters, changing the number of slots in all screens that show the full group, modifying the save/load code... I could go on for a while, really. ;) )

I'm curious also as to why Evade hasn't gotten fixed.
Originally LoTR was intended as a personal project so fixing the evade bug was not at all on my list of changes. It would involve rewriting a lot of code for a feature I never learned to take into account when playing the original. If I remember correctly, the accuracy/evade parameters aren't even referenced in combat so the fix isn't all that simple..

Thank you so much for making the game less grindy
You're welcomed! To be honest, the furthest I ever played through the original was the Eientei battle. After that, it started getting kind of grindy and I usually just Cheat Engine'd my levels up to whatever was reasonable. Not to mention the Eientei floors were such a pain to get through, so my patience with the game would just run out. ;)

Also did you drop the number of battle points requirements to recruit...
Every recruitment requirement was reduced to account for the reduced encounter rate. I remember someone brought up a problem with Yuugi's not having been reduced but I think I fixed that in the v1.1 exe.

Latest works
The Strongest

Alcoraiden

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2014, 08:28:39 PM »
I am amused as all get out that the original game makers just punted Accuracy/Evasion from the entire code base without removing the text about it in game. XD Granted it's not the most spit-and-polished game to begin with, given how there are some formulas that nobody knows, such as "how the fug does Poison work?!". Also, Remilia's description mentions that her Spear the Gungnir is "a skill we will rely on for a long time" because "she doesn't learn many skills," but as far as I can tell the original game had no skill learning at all. XD

Yeah, I figured adding new folks was crazy difficult; your description confirms that fact.

Oh jeez the Eientei floors. I'm there *right now.* I'm so, so glad the encounter rate is down.

Thank you for fixing the "how to obtain characters" rates!

And just in case it seemed like I was complaining a lot, this is a damn good patch and got me to play the game, so go you. :)

One more thing: By how *much* were the encounter requirements for various characters reduced? Because I'd like to calculate just how much I have to faff around with various people I haven't used for all of game in order to get other folks...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:36:17 PM by Alcoraiden »

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
I'm interested in the LoT toolkit. If somebody could re-upload it, I would appreciate it.

Alcoraiden

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2014, 02:22:23 AM »
Bug found. I have flipped every failsafe switch, yet the lock claims I have only opened 1/4 of them. I am now trapped on Floor 12 and cannot move on.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2014, 02:05:30 AM »
I am amused as all get out that the original game makers just punted Accuracy/Evasion from the entire code base without removing the text about it in game. XD
My guess is that the relevant parts were commented out in order to test various formulas, only to be forgotten about. It wouldn't surprise me; there's a lot of questionable stuff in the code that makes me grit my teeth (...like every function filling any memory reserved on the stack with 0xCCCCCCCC like a debug build would...)

Also, Remilia's description mentions that her Spear the Gungnir is "a skill we will rely on for a long time" because "she doesn't learn many skills," but as far as I can tell the original game had no skill learning at all. XD
I used to think my characters would learn new skills once I level them up enough when I first played the game for this exact reason. XD

One more thing: By how *much* were the encounter requirements for various characters reduced?
Yoshika - Tewi Event: 100 BP
Yoshika - Chen Event: 120 BP
Yoshika - Patchy Event: 120 BP
Yoshika - Youmu Event: 120 BP
Kaguya: 600 BP
Flandre: 1650 BP
Can't seem to find the Yuugi one. Hrm. I'm starting to wonder if I did fix that one...

Bug found. I have flipped every failsafe switch, yet the lock claims I have only opened 1/4 of them. I am now trapped on Floor 12 and cannot move on.
If a bug exists with those, it also exists in the original game as those events were not modified in LoTR. Are you sure you didn't forget to save or didn't get game over'ed at some point? If necessary, I can upload a 0-encounter-rate version for you to go physically confirm the events were triggered. Aside from that, I'm afraid there isn't much I can do to help you.

I'm interested in the LoT toolkit. If somebody could re-upload it, I would appreciate it.
I've edited the link in the first post with a reupload. Enjoy! :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Alcoraiden

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2014, 02:53:58 AM »
I...am fairly sure? The reason being I had my map filled out completely but it still claims the failsafes are locked. But maybe I did something strange, I can see that having been a thing.

Ooh. I would not complain about a zero encounter version in case stuff like this happens again. Could you drop me a PM with a link? Thanks!

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2014, 06:32:37 AM »
Ooh. I would not complain about a zero encounter version in case stuff like this happens again. Could you drop me a PM with a link? Thanks!
I figure I may as well share it with everyone. Just drop the new executable in the same folder as your LoTR executable (you may have to rename it; I realized I forgot to give the no-encounter version a different after it was already uploaded...).

I haven't had a chance to test it because my LoT sometimes craps out on me until I reboot my PC and, wouldn't you know it, it chose this moment to do that. It should be fine though, I just reapplied my patch "script" to it with the no-encounters part I used for testing uncommented. I'll put it up in the first post once you or someone else can confirm it works fine (since I can't test it myself at the moment...)

Link

While going through my patch script, I also found the new # of BP required for Yuugi (turns out it was changed after all; it was just hiding...) It's 275.

Latest works
The Strongest

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
Thanks for doing this, EthanSilver! Looks interesting.

On that note, could someone please re-upload the Toolkit? The link in the OP is dead at this point.

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2017, 01:57:56 AM »
sorry to necropost but does anyone know where i can get the labyrinth of touhou toolkit? i'm thinking of remaking this mod in the special disk verson so its more easily accessible, and to further change the the default characters to others.
There's no way I could love anyone
but i wish to be loved by someone in return