Author Topic: Touhou fan games will appear on PlayStation 4 and Vita  (Read 120506 times)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Re: Touhou fan games will appear on PlayStation console
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »
I guess since ZUN's relaxed his own stance on digital distribution, he's applying it to the restrictions he had placed on fan-groups doing likewise. I wonder if soon he'll be issuing a new version of his touhou derivative work guidelines to reflect this new avenue?

Am I right in thinking you can change your region on the console to access the japanese download shop? (Sorry, not a sony-ite, I don't know the terminology) Might be a nice way to get these games available in the west, as long as they aren't too text-heavy.

I would like to know this as well, if so then this might be the final push I need for a ps4.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Sahgren

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »
Am I right in thinking you can change your region on the console to access the japanese download shop? (Sorry, not a sony-ite, I don't know the terminology) Might be a nice way to get these games available in the west, as long as they aren't too text-heavy.

You can access the Japanese PS3/4 online store by creating a new Playstation Network account and stating that you're from Japan. You can find a guide with pictures here.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »
If Genius of Sappheiros becomes a bit more popular because of this, maybe I'll finally be able to see good fanart of the game. I like the OC's on it~

Sweetness and love~ ♥

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 10:19:49 PM »
Welp, finally got a reason to buy a PS4
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube

FLASH

• Still looking for the Hakurei shrine...
  • So close
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »
wow, things lots of new things as of late for the status of touhou franchise in general isn't it?
Zun's son
Digital platform
and now this?!

well i guess as of touhou 14 the theme of the new Arc seems to be "Revolutions and Unusual events in Gensokyo", or something like that, after all...  :)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 02:43:46 AM »
I hope ZUN's still interested in the overseas market too because this could be a good way to bring all these games to English speakers, translation or no.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 02:53:03 AM »
This is a pretty interesting development, though I'm very sure this is ZUN mostly doing this for the doujin game creator's sake of getting themselves out there more, and not ZUN wanting Touhou itself to be more popular. If he did I'm sure he'd put his own games as well.

Good on him anyways. Good Guy ZUN.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 03:03:21 AM »
Speaking of overseas, if these games do end up available on the US PSN then do you think they would get translated or end up like some Wiiware games and stay in Japanese?

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 03:18:56 AM »
Wow...now this was unexpected news.  But might convince me to get a PS4 mattering how things go forward.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 07:52:27 AM »
Some additional notes:

- The most important compromise ZUN has made for this project, is that he's creating an opportunity for people to be introduced to Touhou from fan games that necessarily contain fanon cliches and high budget voice acting. Back at the time of the Musou Kakyou "Touhou Animation Project" controversy, one of his major points of contention was that by employing high-profile voice actresses, fan works run the risk of making people mistake them for official works and think those were the official voices of Touhou characters.

- Details in the trailer (please use the Mediascape site for reference):

1) At 19 seconds, it says 今後も東方同人タイトルが続々参戦!

The particle や implies there will be more titles other than Touhou. Here the wording of the trailer differed from the text of their announcement. That's why I think they have plans for publishing non-Touhou doujin games.

2) The trailer on their site has a new segment at the end. It shows a mock dialog between Sony Computer Entertainment and ZUN where they exchanged some greetings, which ended with this:

SCEJA: ZUN-san, you should also release [your games]!
ZUN: If I have the free [time/energy/etc] (laughter)

Will the official games be ported? He gave a typical non-answer.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:58:15 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »
Some additional notes:

- The most important compromise ZUN has made for this project, is that he's creating an opportunity for people to be introduced to Touhou from fan games that necessarily contain fanon cliches and high budget voice acting. Back at the time of the Musou Kakyou "Touhou Animation Project" controversy, one of his major points of contention was that by employing high-profile voice actresses, fan works run the risk of making people mistake them for official works and think those were the official voices of Touhou characters.

Voices are actually pretty rare in these fan games, aren't they? The only one I can think of is Koumajou Densetsu II, which made a pretty big deal of it. This is unlike animation, which just sounds weird without voices.

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »
Quote from: cuc
The particle や implies there will be more titles other than Touhou. Here the wording of the trailer differed from the text of their announcement. That's why I think they have plans for publishing non-Touhou doujin games.
One of the games that flashed by in the trailer was "冥宮惑星 desParaiso", which is one of Platine Dispositif's games. For the unaware, all of their games use original characters.

cuc

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »
Voices are actually pretty rare in these fan games, aren't they? The only one I can think of is Koumajou Densetsu II, which made a pretty big deal of it. This is unlike animation, which just sounds weird without voices.
Both Sky Arena and Mysterious Gensokyo happen to have voice acting. Sky Arena uses cheap amateur seiyuu, which is the norm for doujin games. The Mysterious Gensokyo series has a pro seiyuu lineup that might be more expensive than Koumajou Densetsu.

One of the games that flashed by in the trailer was "冥宮惑星 desParaiso", which is one of Platine Dispositif's games. For the unaware, all of their games use original characters.
Good catch. It's the only non-Touhou game in the trailer, but its presence is telling enough.

(Whose idea is it to hide these things in the trailer?)

So the real story here is "ZUN launches a doujin game publisher on PlayStation".
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:38:03 PM by cuc »

N-Forza

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »
Actually, the head of Platine Dispositif posted a tweet linking to the project page with something hinting that he would have some involvement.

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
Some additional notes:

- Details in the trailer (please use the Mediascape site for reference):

1) At 19 seconds, it says 今後も東方同人タイトルが続々参戦!

2) The trailer on their site has a new segment at the end. It shows a mock dialog between Sony Computer Entertainment and ZUN where they exchanged some greetings, which ended with this:

Will the official games be ported? He gave a typical non-answer.
So basically the same type of answer he gave us during the AWA panel when I asked him about the Steam rumor.

Well, this is a step in one direction. It's just a pain to make a JP PSN account.

Does anyone know if you can play the downloaded Japanese games on another region's account like US or EU?

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2014, 06:56:13 AM »
I doubt ZUN will ever port his previous games--revising his work in such a way seems un-ZUN-like. But a PS4 port of the next game is a good bet.

cuc

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 02:49:38 AM »
A twitter update from Aqua Style (collected by Touhou Memory) indicates that they are also still weighing their options without a concrete plan on porting which game to which platform. The trailer only features Mysterious Gensokyo 3 because it's their current flagship title.

Aqua Style wasn't even the only involved developer to make such a statement. The project is still in a super early stage, eh? I hope they can make their moves before the hype die down.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:53:58 AM by cuc »

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »
The Mysterious Gensokyo series has a pro seiyuu lineup that might be more expensive than Koumajou Densetsu.

Cool, who'd they hire to do the voicework? I'm mighty interested :V
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

cuc

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57:55 AM »
I looked it up. Some better known members of the Mysterious Gensokyo cast:

Satomi Satō (Reimu, Letty, Yuyuko)
Yōko Hisaka (Marisa, Mokou, Eiki)
Madoka Yonezawa (Sanae, Patchouli)
Yui Sakakibara (Yukari, Tenshi, Komachi)
Omi Minami (Suwako, Meiling, Youmu)
Yukana (Kanako, Cirno, Hijiri)
Kaoru Mizuhashi (Sakuya, Nitori, Kasen)
Mariya Ise (Flandre, Utsuko)

Source: a comprehensive list of voice actors in Touhou fan works

As far as I know, the seiyuu industry's rules are: young seiyuu are always poorly paid - if they become popular, it just means the industry can exploit more from them; the only seiyuu who are well paid are veterans who have stayed at the top of the industry for a long time. Not very different from Japanese showbiz in general.

The Koumajou Densetsu cast has some bigger names.  On the other hand, Mysterious Gensokyo has a larger cast. I don't know enough to say which is more expensive, but Aqua Style might be able to save more costs since they reuse their assets over the expansion packs and updated versions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:28:41 AM by cuc »

cuc

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 09:02:41 AM »
A report on the CEDEC 2014 panel attended by D.N.A.

For this panel, D.N.A. focused on the logistics of doujin games. Of particular note, he founded his own convention, Digital Game Expo, because there was a dearth of events dedicated to doujin games since the doujin software convention Pasoket was terminated in the early 2000s. While Comiket has the huge attendance number, its model is not suitable for games, which benefit from live demonstration and experience.

In terms of numbers, 97 circles and about 600 visitors attended last year's first Digi Game Expo; 11 circles and about 300 visitors attended this year's Retro Digi Game Expo. This November's event, hosting 150 circles, will be held on "AKIBA_SQUARE", which is the exhibition floor of the UDX building in Akihabara.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:45:25 AM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
Woah, Digi Game Expo was founded by D.N.A.? Holy crap.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

cuc

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »
From more than a year ago (time flies, and I still haven't finished anything I promised):
First, ZUN retweeted D.N.A.'s tweet, about Digital Games Expo, a new doujin/indie game convention in Tokyo's Ota Ward that D.N.A. will host in November 17. He didn't directly say it, but ZUN is such good friends with D.N.A., he will absolutely attend this con.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:25:46 PM by cuc »

cuc

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2014, 03:22:09 AM »
Aquastyle did a video stream, and the lovely Touhou Memory captured it (1, 2),

According to Touhou Memory, the important points are:

They said they will be porting Mysterious Gensokyo 3 to PlayStation Vita. You'll be able to import your PC saves into the game.

They surveyed the viewers about their hardware, and got the following results:

Do you own a PS4? Yes: 7.5%; No: 92.5%
Do you own a PSVita? Yes: 39.8%; No: 60.2%
Do you own a 3DS? Yes: 62.5%; No: 37.5%

Note that this is an audience that care about Aquastyle's doujin games enough to watch a midnight stream. Yeah, that's pretty much where things are in Japan.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:59:39 AM by cuc »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2014, 05:29:15 AM »
Yes give me more reasons to play my vita! I've never been so happy to hear about this stuff.

N-Forza

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
This is promising news indeed.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »
They surveyed the viewers about their hardware, and got the following results:

Do you own a PS4? Yes: 7.5%; No: 92.5%
Do you own a PSVita? Yes: 39.8%; No: 60.2%
Do you own a 3DS? Yes: 62.5%; No: 37.5%

get rekt sonyrds
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
Will these and the upcoming fangames be translated? And by the way this could send Touhou in a fase of the series ( Pc98 , Windows now PS4 )
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou series will appear on Playstation consoles, coming soon
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2014, 04:06:49 PM »
Will these and the upcoming fangames be translated?

It wont be translated, as far as we know. Only for Japan!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2014, 09:41:44 AM »
desParaiso

Egads, I've been bugging rockin' android to localize that game for ages but no dice. Hopefully being on the psn will give em more incentive.
That said seeing Touhou on the psn, localized or not is awsome, Too bad labyrinth of Touhou isn't there too.  I wonder why Fushigi 3 only and not the series or the first game, I also wonder if making a fan translation will be easier for the psn version since it will be coded differently and HOPEFULLY less unhackable.

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2014, 07:15:10 AM »
If anything, it'd be more unhackable, since you'd have to hack not only the game itself but also the Sony firmware.