Author Topic: A theory on lunarian mentality  (Read 3922 times)

A theory on lunarian mentality
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:58:56 PM »
after looking into the lunarians and how their type of immortality (no illness and age) works I think I may understand though not really condone their aggressive mind-set towards beings living on earth such as toyohime threating to use her fan of mass destruction against the bamboo forest and yorihime herself confronting remilia and co. on the moon. this is because the lunarians immortality is retained by he fact that the moon is pure in a Shinto sense where immoral or taboo actions committed in a place makes that place impure an that it attaches itself to people in the area and spreads where the people go and this impurity can only be cleansed by a divine ritual. now the earth has no widespread system to deal with impurity and thus is rife with impurity and is an impure place so every inhabitant pretty much is impure and spreads impurity. now when people from earth go to the moon they spread impurity and lets say in an attack on he moon they would spread lots of impurity which would make some lunarians impure who would also spread impurity. now if the impurity spreads on the moon people will start dying from age and disease and the lunarians most likely will have no facilities to deal with this causing widespread pandemics and people dying of age causing a monumental disaster (especially considering lunarians' immune systems are not adapted to disease). so this is why even with intruders who could do little physical harm they could potential wipe out swathes of the moon's population meaning that's why the moon is prepared to use weapons of mass destruction and brutal methods is because they know their civilisation is fragile and will see earth as a natural enemy and all on it as a natural threat. so I thought this could explain some of the moon's brutal actions

Re: A theory on lunarian mentality
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:28:54 AM »
This is a great theory. But if you'd capitalize, it'd be a great (and easy to read) theory.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 03:37:57 AM »
Well you have the general concept nailed down for the most part, I think. It's less of a theory than it is what you're supposed to find out. A few things to mention: Yorihime confronting the vampire party not only isn't aggressive, it's the invaders that would be the aggressors, not Yorihime. On top of that, Yorihime was only there to deal with them because the Watatsuki sisters knew the vampire party were just the distraction for Yukari and that Reimu would be with them. Nothing about that encounter was all that dangerous.

Second, the Earth is not a threat to Lunarian society whatsoever. While there haven't been any solid conflicts between the Earth and the Moon besides maybe the first Genso-Lunar war, even the threat of impurity isn't huge. The Lunarians don't want impurity in the lunar capital, but it isn't as if a little impurity is a grave danger on its own. Earth-dwellers aren't going to be showing up in the capital en masse and dying all over. Note that they kept Reimu there for like a month and it wasn't a big deal. Also, even if hypothetically the lunar capital did gather impurity and disease entered, the Lunarians have arbitrarily good technology and could probably cure any disease that shows up. It's more the principle of there being impurity at all.

So this isn't really the reason they would be okay with wiping out stuff on the Earth. Really, the Lunarians for the most part have a nonchalant and pitying attitude towards the Earth. They view it as pathetic. Toyohime atomizing the area is more like kicking an anthill. The anthill isn't a threat whatsoever, but you don't care about the anthill, you view the ants as meaningless creatures, and it would be easy to just kick it. Toyohime eventually choosing not to wipe the area is just the same as going "well, they're just ants, so whatever".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:39:34 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM »
Well you have the general concept nailed down for the most part, I think. It's less of a theory than it is what you're supposed to find out. A few things to mention: Yorihime confronting the vampire party not only isn't aggressive, it's the invaders that would be the aggressors, not Yorihime. On top of that, Yorihime was only there to deal with them because the Watatsuki sisters knew the vampire party were just the distraction for Yukari and that Reimu would be with them. Nothing about that encounter was all that dangerous.

Second, the Earth is not a threat to Lunarian society whatsoever. While there haven't been any solid conflicts between the Earth and the Moon besides maybe the first Genso-Lunar war, even the threat of impurity isn't huge. The Lunarians don't want impurity in the lunar capital, but it isn't as if a little impurity is a grave danger on its own. Earth-dwellers aren't going to be showing up in the capital en masse and dying all over. Note that they kept Reimu there for like a month and it wasn't a big deal. Also, even if hypothetically the lunar capital did gather impurity and disease entered, the Lunarians have arbitrarily good technology and could probably cure any disease that shows up. It's more the principle of there being impurity at all.

So this isn't really the reason they would be okay with wiping out stuff on the Earth. Really, the Lunarians for the most part have a nonchalant and pitying attitude towards the Earth. They view it as pathetic. Toyohime atomizing the area is more like kicking an anthill. The anthill isn't a threat whatsoever, but you don't care about the anthill, you view the ants as meaningless creatures, and it would be easy to just kick it. Toyohime eventually choosing not to wipe the area is just the same as going "well, they're just ants, so whatever".
I think that for the moon the impurity of a single human like Reimu isn't a big deal ,but in my opinion a Genso-Lunar war can be a very dangerous event for the moon if the said war is fought on the moon ,the reasons are first: the accumuled impurity of an army of earth inabithants can strong enought to pose a treat to the moon purity and second: a war means that either in the earth side that in the moon side there will be a lot of deaths (i suppose that a war scenario is a lot different and more violent than the spellcard duel beetween Yorohime and the team of Remilia in the manga) and at least for what i remember death is a very impure thing so it would do a huge damange to the purity of the moon , still we see that is very difficult even for a youkai as strong as Yukari to take an army on the moon an start a war so that scenario is higly unlikely still a Genso-Lunar war is an huge treath for the moon an that why the moon try so harsly to keep earth inabithants away from the moon

Drake

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:03:35 AM »
You're forgetting (or perhaps weren't aware) that this already happened. In the first Genso-Lunar war it wasn't said to have any casualties (although it's possible); the youkai just realized they had no choice but to surrender because they were obviously outranked. My reasoning is precisely that because the Lunarians are so powerful and don't want death, it just... wouldn't happen. This is an important detail about the first war to begin with; especially so if you accept the theory that Yukari brought the youkai to the Moon in order to lose on purpose, knowing they wouldn't just be wiped out.

I mean in general the Lunarians obviously don't want stuff from the Earth in the lunar capital, sure. But even if there were an army coming, it isn't as though the only options for the Lunarians are "surrender" or "kill everyone".

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:22:58 PM »
Ok now that we know that purity is an important thing for the moon inabithants because make them immortals i have two questions: there is a reason for the fact that purity makes you immortal ? And if is true that people of the moon don't die because of purity and that if large impurity appears on the moon they will start to die and is also true that netherworld is a pure land what if netherworld became impure ? Death people will die again ?

P.s. Sorry for going a bit off topic

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »

agree with the rest, but had to say that Toyohime sparing the forest is, imho, a throwback (or at least a possible one) to when she and Yorihime hosted Urashima Taro (in CiLR), were told by Eirin that whenever a stranger enters the moon, they should either kill that someone or send him/her back, and much later Yorihime mentioned that they wouldn't repeat the same mistake (of accepting a stranger), and that they weren't as foolish as before (prior to the invasion by Reimu and co.), to which Toyohime commented (something like), "or we aren't as kind as before".
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
there is a reason for the fact that purity makes you immortal ?
Basically the mortal world is poisonous. It's just a poison that takes around 70 years to kill us.

Hermits learn to block the effects of this poison, but Lunarians were never touched by it in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:26:01 AM by Prime32 »

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 01:04:53 AM »
Ok now that we know that purity is an important thing for the moon inabithants because make them immortals i have two questions: there is a reason for the fact that purity makes you immortal ? And if is true that people of the moon don't die because of purity and that if large impurity appears on the moon they will start to die and is also true that netherworld is a pure land what if netherworld became impure ? Death people will die again ?

P.s. Sorry for going a bit off topic
Is not that purity makes you immortal; the natural state of life is immortality, but all the death brought by the process of natural selection and the food chain and all that made the Earth impure, and that impurity, like Prime said, is like poison that slowly kills everything on Earth with disease and age. Toyohime muses about this in the 3rd chap of CiLR, if I recall correctly.

About the netherworld, that's a good question to which I don't think there's a canon answer.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 01:58:27 AM »
Is not that purity makes you immortal; the natural state of life is immortality, but all the death brought by the process of natural selection and the food chain and all that made the Earth impure, and that impurity, like Prime said, is like poison that slowly kills everything on Earth with disease and age. Toyohime muses about this in the 3rd chap of CiLR, if I recall correctly.

About the netherworld, that's a good question to which I don't think there's a canon answer.
Thank you for the answers about purity.

About the question i made about the netherworld i may found an answer myself: i think i made a error saying that in netherworld no one die because is a pure land is more likely the opposite, the netherworld is a pure land because no one die (the inabithants of netherworld are already death) excluding the greatest cause of impurity ,so the fact  that netherworld is a pure land is because is impossible to die there and not the opposite as i have erraticaly supposed

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »
For the record, purity is not a "thing", it's just the absence of impurity. Impurity ("kegare" in Japanese) is a fairly well established Shinto concept that, among other things, governs when people aren't supposed to visit shrines, etc. Wikipedia probably explains it better than I can: Kegare

The basic takeaway is that the moon is a home of the gods, and therefore kind of like a big shrine. It's sacred, and bringing in kegare defiles it. The stuff about it being the source of death itself (in the Touhou-verse anyway) has already been explained by others, but I think it's pretty important to realize that this is also a preexisting Shinto concept.