Author Topic: Touhou 14 Japanese digital download at Playism, starting August 13  (Read 32300 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
The bomb is dropped!

Playism has announced the Japanese download release of Touhou 14, starting from August 13, and priced at JPY 1512 (tax included). Their Japanese site allows three payment methods: PayPal, BitCash and WebMoney.

(The English version of Playism only allows PayPal, but their games may also be released on Steam, Humble Store and GOG.COM. But this is not that announcement. Yet.)

The site (being hammered right now, you probably can't open it):
http://www.playism.jp/games/th14/

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxeUQuCNxnI

ZUN: As you can see, I've kept up with the times, and prepared for the release of a download version. Even if it's a small thing, if it can help promote games by small-scale developers, it'll make the future more fun.

ZUN: (?-`).。oO(My power enough to crash websites, did I just activated it again?

ZUN: Well, it's a game from a series full of bias and deception. If you haven't played it before, please definitely use this opportunity to give it a try.

(Yeah, I'm translating that "power to the extend of" thing as "power enough to".)

Amateurish and hurried translation:
Touhou Kishijou ~ Double Dealing Character.
* To be released on August 13, 2014.
* This game does not have a Mac version. We beg your forgiveness.

DirectX: DirectX Runtime (June 2010) or later required
CPU: A fast enough CPU
Video Card: DirectGraphic compatible high speed video card (VRAM above 256M recommended)
Sound Card: DirectSound compatible sound card
Misc.: Game controller; a certain degree of danmaku immunity; an arrogant heart (recommended)

Game Summary

Gensokyo, an unreal world separated from the real world. A place where forgotten things, things that have lost their meanings drift to. At this place, the youkai and a few humans have created a paradise.
The youkai extermination expert Hakurei Reimu is always busy going around as the protector of Gensokyo. However, her youkai extermination is just a pose.

This is the 14th game in the "Touhou Project" group of games by Team Shanghai Alice, "Touhou Kishijou ~ Double Dealing Character."
The game genre is what you'd call "danmaku shooting". In this genre, you are attacked by a huge barrage of bullets everywhere you can see, but dodging them all is still possible.

The rule is simple. If your character got hit by the opponent's bullet or laser, or something that looks like it'll hurt, you have missed. You clear the stage by beating the opponent before using up your stock of lives. Whether you can clear a stage depends on your ability and patience.

The special feature of this game, rare among shooting games, is the narrative meanings contained within the danmaku of the opponents. They make the characters more charismatic, which may also help you beat the game.
May the danmaku that makes you nervous just by looking at it, and the equally intense music, awaken your memory of the primeval pleasure!

Creator's Voice

This is the first downloadable game by Team Shanghai Alice.
The story of the game can stand by itself, so you don't have to play the previous games.
I made the game with the intention to make players feel the joy of improving themselves at games. The difficulty is a bit high, but that is in service of this purpose. Please definitely try challenging it. While you are still young and have good reflexes.

Team Shanghai Alice

Team Shanghai Alice is a personal circle that develops doujin games, formed by the developer ZUN. The programming, graphics, scenario and sound are all done by one person. Its representative work, "Touhou Project", is a strangely long-lived game series that keep being made since 1995. It's about time to consider retiring.

Untranslated introduction:
東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character.
※2014年8月13日リリースとなります。
※本作にMAC版はございません。悪しからずご了承ください。

DirectX: DirectX ランタイム (June 2010) 以降の最新版がインストールされていること
CPU: 十分な速度を持ったCPU
ビデオカード: Direct Graphic 対応の高速なビデオカード(推奨 VRAM 256M以上)
サウンドカード: Direct Sound 対応のサウンドカード
その他: パッドコントローラ・ある程度の弾幕免疫・傲慢な心(推奨)

作品紹介

幻想郷と呼ばれる、現実世界から隔離された非現実の世界。ここには忘れ去られ、意味を失った物が流れ着く。そこでは妖怪と少数の人間達で楽園を作っていた。
妖怪退治の専門家「博麗霊夢」が、幻想郷を守るためにあちこちへと奔走する。しかしそれは、ポーズとしての妖怪退治であった。

本作は、上海アリス幻樂団の「東方Project」と呼ばれるゲーム群の第14弾『東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character.』です。
いわゆる弾幕シューティングと呼ばれるジャンルのゲームです。目を覆いたくなるような大量の弾幕が襲いかかりますが、すべて避けられるようになっています。

ルールはいたってシンプルです。自キャラが敵弾とかレーザーとか当たると痛そうなものに当たるとミスになります。残機がなくなる前に敵を倒せばクリアとなります。クリアできるかは貴方の腕と根気次第です。

このゲームの特徴は、シューティングには珍しく、敵の弾幕にストーリー的な意味が含まれている事です。それはキャラクターの魅力を深め、攻略の手助けとなるでしょう。
見ているだけでも神経を逆撫でする強烈な弾幕と音楽に、原始の快感を思い出せ!

クリエイターズボイス

上海アリス幻樂団、ダウンロード販売第1弾はこの作品です。
ゲームのストーリーは独立してますので、前作以前を遊ぶ必要はありません。
ゲームが上達するという楽しみを味わえるようなゲームにしたくて作りました。難易度は高めですがそれもその目的の為です。是非挑戦してみて下さい。反応の良い若いうちに。

上海アリス幻樂団

上海アリス幻樂団は開発者ZUNによる、同人ゲーム制作をする個人サークルです。プログラム、グラフィック、シナリオ、サウンドの全てを一人で行っています。代表作「東方Project」は1995年より続く、異様に息の長いゲームです。そろそろ引退したいものです。

URL:
http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:25:09 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Re: Touhou 14 Japanese digital download at Playism, starting August 13
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:32:40 AM »
そろそろ引退したいものです。
Is ZUN retiring?

cuc

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:36:23 AM »
>ZUN's profile saying "it's about time I consider retiring"

He tweeted something like "every year I say I want to retire" last year or the year before. I'm sure I translated it in the update thread.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:19:00 AM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:10 AM »
get fukken HYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPEEEEE

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:59:43 AM »
Well, it is indeed a bomb because the website is unreachable due to traffic jams :V

cuc

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:09:11 AM »
Whoa I translated the website summary while at work! I've done my best (under pressure).

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:15:57 AM »
An enigmatic site killer known only as ZUN

Drake

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:33 AM »
Should say "you don't have to had played the previous games" rather than "there's no need to play games before it", which implies the other games aren't worth playing lol
お疲れ様ー

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
I doubt he is implying that. Touhou games are stand-alone when it purely comes to just playing them. So there is no reason to forcefully play from 6 to present just to play 14.

Besides, one who gets interested in Touhou after playing 14 will automatically start seeking the older ones automatically.

cuc

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »
^ Of course the point is he's not implying anything like that.

>Drake
Thanks. Changed it.

Again, folks, if you've never seen how ZUN writes his own promotion copies, please read this. They are in a league of their own, even though this one is fairly normal, nowhere as unique as some previous games.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
ZUN is a very funny and self-effacing guy. Also, it gave me no small amount of pleasure that he emphasized the narrative aspect as being what sets Touhou apart.

This could be a turning point for the series, if this first phase goes well. Though I'm fairly certain he'll still want to keep things small and independent.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
Hey, all you pirates better delete your illegal copies (at least of DDC and you should probably keep your replays and scorefiles.)

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 12:51:36 PM »
Misc.: Game controller; a certain degree of danmaku immunity; an arrogant heart (recommended)
Wouldn't a humble heart capable of accepting and learning from mistakes be required instead? :V

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »
Holy geez. I'd seen his tweet, and was floored. This is seriously momentous.

Again, folks, if you've never seen how ZUN writes his own promotion copies, please read this. They are in a league of their own, even though this one is fairly normal, nowhere as unique as some previous games.
Thanks for the translation, cuc.
I'd utterly missed it, since I usually skip over these spec and promotional texts for games. I can't be alone...

I'm definitely missing out on some ZUN goodness right there. Where can you usually find his other promotional writings?

Wouldn't a humble heart capable of accepting and learning from mistakes be required instead? :V
I'm guessing that he's referring to being prideful, i.e. stubborn and unwilling to back down from a challenge that had you beaten up like a toddler being kicked by Hercules.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:37:10 PM by akj »

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 03:35:35 PM »
ZUN is a very funny and self-effacing guy. Also, it gave me no small amount of pleasure that he emphasized the narrative aspect as being what sets Touhou apart.

This could be a turning point for the series, if this first phase goes well. Though I'm fairly certain he'll still want to keep things small and independent.

I agree with all you have said, although i would have added the freaking beautiful danmaku patterns and bgm along with the narrative *_*

I really hope this goes well.... anything that can stimulate ZUN to keep producing Touhou games is a big yes in my book :D

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 03:38:35 PM »
Heck yeah!  This is something exciting to look forward to.  Once the credit card rolls over next month since I went a bit crazy during an online gaming festival.

And I just love ZUN's way of writing these things, and how he puts a humorous spin on how he says them.

BB

• Typewriter Youkai
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
Oh boy, he sure likes his surprises doesn't he? I woke up to this, I follow him on twitter despite not knowing a lick of Japanese, so there were lots of confusing links and painfully slow trips to Google Translate x_x

1512 yen translates to about ?9, gah. Time to sit in the street holding my hat out.
Touhou fan since 2008.

Faves quicklist:
Yukari - Byakuren - Lily White - PCB - UFO - Necrofantasia - Cosmic Mind - Shining Needle - not into the fighters - not into score play - enjoy storytelling and theorycraft

Tengukami

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
In my case, the game costs less than a bag of potato chips.

What a guy.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
15 dollars for legit 2hu? Let's do this.

Also, this is probably as good an excuse as any to buy webmoney.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 06:02:38 PM »
This is awesome!  :D

I wonder if the other windows games are going to be available at some point as well. But DDC alone is already enough of a reason to get happy~  :3

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Tengukami

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »
Also, this is probably as good an excuse as any to buy webmoney.
Calling it here: Touhou 15 will not only also be sold on Playism; you'll be able to purchase it with ZUN's very own cryptocurrency, Youkoin.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 07:56:56 PM »
Don't forget to donate to the Hakurei donation e-box while you're at it.

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:28 PM »
Don't forget to donate to the Hakurei donation e-box while you're at it.

Now I have a wonderful mental image of Reimu trying to convince Yukari to set her up with a website where people can donate to the shrine.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 04:40:35 AM »
So this is what he meant when he said he wanted to make the series available to the West?  I thought he would have it translated...

I'm not complaining, mind you.

FLASH

• Still looking for the Hakurei shrine...
  • So close
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
oh Wow...

never tought i'd see it! thanks for quick report and translation everyone! got scared when he said it's "time to retire"  :ohdear:, but good to hear it's a running joke, apparently.   :derp:

Quote from: cuc on August 11, 2014, 08:32:45 am

could you post some links or place where they are archived? after reading this i definitely want to see the other ones too!  :3

Now I have a wonderful mental image of Reimu trying to convince Yukari to set her up with a website where people can donate to the shrine.

Trying to convince Yukari... with Danmaku Battle of course!! :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:49:53 PM by FLASH »

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
This is "a bomb" because it's a way for Western fans to finally give something concrete back to ZUN, and implies future digital downloads for Touhou games. It's all about how much funding ZUN gets from this: whether he will consider this sort of shipping to be a viable option in the future, and whether to target Western fans and digital platforms more. That's why any self-respecting Touhou fan should open up their wallets.
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

iPetalchaser

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »
01:55 GMT+5.30 13/08

Checked up to see if it was up for purchase, and its not. Also, apparently, we have Playism malleted (ahaha..*blush*) again, since i can't seem to access it anymore.

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
It's like 6 am in Japan

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 03:19:28 AM »
Trying to convince Yukari... with Danmaku Battle of course!! :D

Of course!  Because that's how everything is solved in Gensokyo.