Author Topic: XCrawl Planning Room  (Read 68070 times)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Re: XCrawl Planning Room
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:16:31 PM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »
>amra
>tentacles
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2014, 02:14:05 AM »
Sugoiiii~

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 02:57:04 AM »
Alright, I'm fleshing out an intro adventure and notes.  Now to set up session 0.  This is gonna mostly be putting stuff together and getting the setting all tied out.

Currently, given time zones, I'm thinking 6:15 PST Saturday or 9:15 EST.  Tell me if this is too early west coast or too late east coast.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2014, 03:13:14 AM »
Works fine for me.

PX - we're starting at level 4, not 5.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2014, 03:14:51 AM »
Should work for me. I might be a bit late.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2014, 03:30:59 AM »
Alright, I'm fleshing out an intro adventure and notes.  Now to set up session 0.  This is gonna mostly be putting stuff together and getting the setting all tied out.

Currently, given time zones, I'm thinking 6:15 PST Saturday or 9:15 EST.  Tell me if this is too early west coast or too late east coast.

This is PDT 6:15 PM, right?

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2014, 03:39:02 AM »
cool for me I'm gonna be on all day anyways
Sugoiiii~

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2014, 04:01:26 AM »
This is PDT 6:15 PM, right?
Whichever actually exists at this time of the year.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2014, 04:38:17 AM »
Character sheet: http://pastebin.com/QsPNphjk

My character has low charisma but uses her bluff/perform skills to present the fake personality of a pretentious samurai. Whenever she's not "on", she has a crass and foul disposition.

She also has an intelligent (damaged) Ioun Stone that frequently criticizes her.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2014, 05:11:51 AM »
Finished my char sheet, just haven't decided on IC stuff like name, personality and back story yet. Tiefling magus. Took a page from Oarfish and left 1k9 gp lying around to take care of noncombat expenses like discrimination. (also cuz I've run out of things I could think of to throw cash at aside from wands/scrolls/potions I don't know if we need or an extra enhancement bonus which I don't think is worth nearly going bankrupt for).

Dunno if I can show up on time for Saturday session if PX doesn't show up. It depends if I can get myself to wake up in time or not.
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:24 AM »
Works fine for me.

PX - we're starting at level 4, not 5.

I thought I changed that to 4 :/

That said I can only stay for half an hour until I leave for work so I'll just observe then

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2014, 11:28:17 PM »
Channel is registered as #arena-meido

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2014, 04:30:19 AM »
So since many questions have been raised about the state of the world I figure I should toss some socioeconomic stuff up.

The empire works on a rigid caste system.  Social mobility is not forbidden by law, but is effectively forbidden by practice.  The tiers are as follows.

Slave - Only monstrous humanoidss now, slaves do the majority of the shitty jobs that kill you in thirty years.  There was talk of switching to necromantic slaves, but that was shelved after the 'rebuked garbage skeleton uprising' happened.  Slaves have a few pathetic rights that are actually enforced, but in general have a poor lot in life.

Laborer - Clerks, paper pushers and other low level workers, they barely can make enough money to eat, and rely on charity for almost everything.  Non microwavable / fast food is bought when powerful nobles slash prices to gain popular support and horded as long as possible.  They live in ramshackle apartments, but they spend so much time searching for bargains or spare things to sell that they rarely make it home.  Cheap XCrawl seats keep them entertained.

Citizen - Servants to nobility or the temples, they have more free time, but their daily lives are pretty much bonded to their noble patron.  They're the management, clerks and other semi skilled labor that fills out the "middle class."  And by middle class we mean apartment and their own TV and not having to bargain bin food.  This is about as high as you can reach without joining the army or XCrawl.  They're lower class, but not poor by today's standard.

Soldier - Sure you have to listen to people's orders, but then so does everyone else.  There's also a higher chance of death, but at least they give you gear.  Soldiers are solidly middle class by today's standards, and some might even strike it rich if they loot something expensive or capture enough slaves.  Then again people who do that tend to wind up under a noble's thumb or dead.  They still don't own land however, usually ending up in nice apartments after their service term.

Low Nobility - High management High Clergy and other people we would consider rich.  They still have to follow the boss's orders, but they get to order other people around as well.  All have at least a couple of slaves, and own a nice house or sometimes even a mansion.  They also have a high mortality rate due to limited positions, and lots of heirs who need a position.

High Nobility - The movers and shakers and bastards who own everything and collect your rent.  They call the shots, and the only reason the whole empire hasn't collapsed under the weight of their wealth is they buy off the people so the mob loves them and hates their rivals.  The system only lives because of political intrigue.

At least they tend to die.

Racism is along demihuman / monsterous humanoid lines, though American Empire culture is pushed at the expense of all others.  Most cities are massive slums with a few nice neighborhoods.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:32:41 AM by Iced Fairy »

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2014, 11:18:42 PM »
Unless children are owned by the state like in Paranoia, I think Brock grew up in a Low Nobility household. He of course didn't inherit much besides his stentorian voice and the pressure to succeed.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2014, 11:39:12 PM »
Nobles don't inherit their wealth!  They earn it via hard work, and going to the schools their parents pay for, getting accepted into college due to their parent's patronage, and then getting a job because of their parents connections.

Anyway you (and everyone else) should think about:
1 - Why are you in XCrawl instead of a nice comfy desk job in the army?
2 - Why are you in the illegal circuit instead of the legal one?

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »
I talked about it with Iced, but as long as everyone's okay with it I'll be putting after-action reports of our sessions in this thread after we start up.
Sugoiiii~

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
Alright.  I'm sure more will come up, but here's my first thoughts on the game.

Primary is everyone did well.  Hopefully everyone had as much fun as I did.  It seemed like a very solid first dungeon crawl.  Secondary is you all get 1700xp.  Enjoy.

In terms of game tweaks, I think there are only a few to go over.

O4rfish I looked over the Diplomacy rules, and it's even worse for combat use then I thought.  If you want to retrain to intimidate feel free.  On the other hand it might be nice to keep around for out of crawl actions.  Your call.

The ball is mainly a "cool item."  I normally hand out a number of those, and in a world where showing off and looking cool is important I was leaning towards even more.  If you guys don't want the big list of random semi useful weaponry you can't sell for what its worth though I can avoid that.

If you want to case a room just roll the perception.  No need to wait on my permission.  Just know in many of the normal crawls they'll be trying to keep the action going, so you might get jumped just for looking.  So it goes.

On that note i might be pushing up the tempo a bit.  I mainly wanted to see how the monster setup worked, and I think my normal fights were a little tough, and my boss fight was a little subdued.  Expect me to try to tweak things accordingly, but keep you from resting outside the break rooms a little more.  If you all think that's a bit bad for your setups mention it and we can work things out.

Anyway thanks for playing.  Feel free to toss down your comments here.  (And maybe begin plotting a consumables fund)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2014, 02:40:05 AM »
I demand that Amra get an XP bonus or perversity points or something for going full Monstar.

Also, I encourage semi-'useless' items highly! They are fun and make you feel hella boss when you can do something with them.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2014, 03:37:09 AM »
I'm gonna hang onto the b-ball if you don't mind, I have the stats to use it and I'm lacking a ranged attack at the moment.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2014, 03:57:31 AM »
Sure, as long as you pay us each 1/4th of the item's cost.

Trophies should not be sold. Be the Slamurai.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2014, 05:26:46 AM »
I didn't notice Pathfinder had something called Favored Class, which gives me another skill slot. I could take Intimidate with that.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »
Story time? Story time!
----
"Which one is it?!"

"I have no idea!"

"Just go for the tongues dearies!"

"We are attempting to do so!"

It was a mess. Enclosed room, three gargoyles. No obvious way out. We were doing fine before; four of us against one gargoyle. Hoshiko taking some hits, but she landed a huge blow and we had it corralled just fine, but now...

Everyone was too close to use any of my bombs, and there was no time...

I catch Hoshiko diving in the corner of my vision, against the one gargoyle we haven't tried, and she somehow manages to grab the tongue without getting hurt-!

The door starts creaking open. A stony claw swipes towards my head and I barely swipe it away with the shaft of my spear! "Hoshiko got it! Out, out, out! I'll heal!"

"Good work! Now they just need to get away from the gargoyles!" the DJ announces and I backstep away from the melee in response.

"Move move move!" I scream, scrambling towards the door.

First Brock runs past me after getting torn up a little more. Then Anne and Hoshiko together, covering each other as they stumble past the rickety wooden bridge with that weird magical stone yelling epithets while Anne cackles like a witch out of hell-

My third limb slips into my bags, ready to prime and fling a bomb if needed. The second we all get across I'm burning this bridge-wait. Crap, they fly...!

Stumble. This fucking bridge nearly flings me off when I try to get over it, and Brock nearly falls thanks to a rotten plank, but Hoshiko and Annie zip across and we all brace and slame the door together!

"Oomph." Rough. Really rough. The first room nearly took us all out at once. My heart pounds and my skin's slick with sweat. "Well, that was dangerous. Let me heal you all up first before we use any tools," I start, but Brock's already pulled out a wand of some kind.

There's a bit of an argument or something between the other two girls in our group; something about that rock Hoshiko has. Something...Eien stone? Something similar to that. But all the while Big Annie's keeping an eye out, so I'm not too worried as Brock and I patch everyone up.

Brock looks around; he's still rather prim and proper no matter how I look at him. Hoshiko's is...like make up. It's a stage appearance. But Brock, he doesn't feel like the sort who usually would get involved in this stuff. "In this room...the object was the point the sundial at noon, was it not?"

"Yes," I respond, moving over to the sundial, but a hand falls onto my shoulder.

"Just a minute, dearie," the old lady asks for, casing the room with a razor sharp gaze. I'm honestly quite fond of her already, actually. There's a moment...Annie whistles. "Woo-ee, lookit all those trap doors." She points them out one by one; I blink, not having noticed them before.

This...is similar. Or generic enough. Probably an ambush, and the door won't open immediately even after we trigger the sundial.

Brock preempts me though, and a small ball of light flickers to existance at his finger tips; a shadow is casted onto noon and a slow, thunderous grinding starts...

The trapdoors pop open. Tasteless, rascist caricatures march out, all brandishing spears, and I grimace as they ready themselves. "Fun."

"Looks like the temple guardians are unwilling to let this go for free!" the DJ announces again, but I've already slipped a bomb into my grasp. Slightly different, altered to burn slower. More like napalm than an incendiary bomb.

He wasn't expecting it. At this range all I have to do is flick my wrist and the vial flies out with practiced ease, nailing the closest guard in the face in an explosion of glass and vibrant red flames; he hits the floor, trying to roll and put it out, but it's pointless. The explosion even catches the guy next to him, singing and making him wince as the sudden wave of heat washes over him.

Three left. They all charge, fanning out to keep us separate and threatened. One dashes at Brock and nicks him on the side while Hoshiko catches a harder blow on the arm-

Paid too much attention to everyone else. The guard I caught in the splash lunges at me before I'm even ready, and it's only with a painful twist that I manage to even limit the damage to a nasty slash over my shoulder blade!

Brock steps back calmly and does something. Casts a spell, I realize belatedly, and his guard's spear clatters to the floor covered in...Oil? Huh.

Then Hoshiko roars and her blade flies forward in a massive slash, whiffing, and she huffs in frustration but Annie's slipped to the side and her dagger slips into an opening!

"Better run, boy!" Annie taunts.

Blood splatters against the floor from the last guard's stab wound; I don't have time to appreciate the double teaming. My guard's weapon darts forward again like a snake but it catches air as I step back-!

He doesn't expect the bomb. Not when both my hands are visible, but they're not the only limbs I have. My tentacle flings it under my guard in a practiced motion and it shatters on his chest-!

It's a brilliant explosion that engulfes him completely; I barely avoid the splash, and not even the roar of the audience at the flashy kill masks the crackle of fire or the short, horrible scream.

No time to appreciate the kill. More melee exchange, but I have space to work with now. Brock blocks an unarmed strike and ripostes...with words. The crowd laughs while I catch the tail end of what must have been a dick joke, considering where Brock's pointing, while Annie and Hoshiko are still dancing around the last guard.

Hoshiko tries another big blow but the guy's smart enough to dodge. Not smart enough to avoid another stab, complete with Annie repeating "I said better run boy!"

There's an attempt to respond, but his words aren't anything but blood and his breathes are labored.

"Oh, that's a nasty shot! But...yes, the guardian is still breathing!"

Until my spear catches him in the throat and finishes him off.

"Wait, no. He's not breathing anymore! Maya is a one woman cleaning machine here! Will she steal all the kills?" the DJ asks and the crowd responds loudly.

"Ah, wait, that's not what I'm trying to-" I start. No, really, it's not like I was trying to do anything like that!

Annie shrugs beside me while we glance at the last guard, who's still woefully unarmed. "You just can't help some people, can ya?" she asks rhetorically and I pout in response, but still...

"Looks like the last guardian's in a bit of a pickle! No weapon and no friends, but look! The door finished opening! Is this his lucky break, or will the Silver Snakes finish him off?"

I glance at the exit and notice...what look to be chests. Several. Hoshiko, Annie and I share a look and I can tell we all want to leave...

"Let's leave Brocky boy there to clean up, eh?" Annie starts.

Brock looks over at us, his rapier still drawn, and nods in response. "You girls go ahead," he says.

I give him a moment's look before I head over. "If you're sure. I'd suggest coming with," I say, and Hoshiko and Annie follow.

There's no sounds of violence or anything. Just Brock walking in after us, followed by a wave of applause.

"Left him alive?" I ask, and Brock nods. I smile and turn back to the room, faced with five expensive looking chests.

----

After avoiding what Annie told me was a flame arrow trap and a bad fight with what was most likely a mimic, we slipped into the next room and managed to get the silver monkey right on the first try. There was a moment where I was a little too itchy on the trigger finger and set something on fire that I shouldn't have, nearly catching Annie, but we're in the Green Room now so it's fine, right?

Right.

Hoshiko hisses as I tighten the bandages. "Should be nice and stabilized now," I say. Annie pats her own sutured up injuries appreciateively.

"Heh, you're better than some of the sawbones I've seen in my day," she praises, and I find myself smiling honestly.

"Thank you," I say back, as Brock casts a spell around him. He shimmers, making his image flicker every so often; it's a defensive illusion spell. Which reminds me to drink my own extra defenses, seeing as this next area should be one of the last...

An extract of Blur and Shield. I can only hope they're useful for whatever lies in the next room...

----

Ridiculous. I never expected...really? I was dumbstruck. Of all the things we could have fought, to see this person in particular facing us.

Terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. I can't bring myself to move. Annie and Brock are the same, and Hoshiko's trying to fight this twisted game against it alone.

He's huge. A legend. Even with these rules, it's...is it even possible? Can we even fight this?  Is this where it all ends?

"AS THE SONGS OF YORE SAID, I HAVE THIS PIECE OF ADVICE FOR YOU: JUST WORK THAT BODY, WORK THAT BODY, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HURT NOBODY. BESIDES THAT TALL FELLOW."

Hoshiko's companion's words slice into my mind. It's so absurd. This entire situation is so absurd, I can't help but laugh. The fear, the paralyzing crippling fear? It's gone.

My hand swipes across my belt, pulling two very important concoctions out as I dash towards Dikembe Mutombo.

"Let's jam."

Drink the first.

Throb.

Muscles tighten and enlargen, eyes sharpen. I can feel some senses dull in response but it's all part and parcel. My spear clatters to the floor; it's not going to be useful here at all with that shield around Dikembe. Nails become talons and teeth become fangs, and though I don't see it personally I can feel the wave of transformation run up my tentacle and cover it in fine scales...

Hoshiko throws the ball again as I close in, but it goes wide; I try to intercept but Dikembe is faster, grabbing it. He shoots for the hoop and nails it, and I can tell the magic of it is about to send it flying at me-!

It misses and sails over my shoulder, smashing into the floor. No time, I have to take the chance!

Drink the second.

This one's simpler to explain, in so much that growing to ten feet in height is simple with all the associated benefits and cons and I swing to face Dikembe. At this size I should be able to stop his shots a lot easier...

There's a sudden pressure on my back; someone jumps onto it, jumps off. It's Hoshiko, and she just used me as a springboard so she could dunk the ball!

It slams in, shaking the foundations of the room, and the ball flies out and swerves with the hoop's magic straight into Dikembe's face.

"Yes!"

"HAH!" I exclaim, vocal chords stretched by my mutagen.

He tries for another shot and I leap at the same time, guarding...the feint lets him try to underhand toss it below my guard but I don't only have two arms to guard with!

The ball clatters to the floor after my tentacle swats it aside. We're still in the air, facing each other with a snarl. If only I could just hit him...!

Both of us hit the ground again at the same time, but that's not all Dikembe steps on. He slips backwards, falling onto his ass, and I glance back to see Brock grinning at the handiwork of his second Grease spell.

The hoop is alluring and I have the ball, but the opportunity is too good. Dikembe's on the floor in front of me, so--!

Slam dunk. Not on the hoop, but on his gut! The ball bounces high into the air after that blow and Hoshiko uses my back yet again to swipe it out of the air and shoot it at the hoop before she lands-!

Another beautiful shot, sending the ball straight into Dikembe yet again. Hoshiko slides onto the ground and...suddenly looks around, surprised. "Not many seconds left on the clock!" she shouts as Dikembe stumbles upwards...

There's an uplifting, energizing and strangely familiar hum in the air as Big Annie finally recovers and grabs the ball...and walks with it? To...up...on top of the hoop. And she drops it in.

The hoop's magic enchants the steel spiked basketball one last time and Dikembe crumbles to dust as it smashes straight through him.

I'd sigh in relief if a cloud of bats didn't enter the room and swarm us just as that happened.

Or rather me.

"OUT!" I scream, trying to swat them away.
----

Loot: 2750 gold and 1700 xp each.
+2 Bball of Returning.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:27:28 AM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
  • Should I be concerned? I think I should be concern
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2014, 02:10:09 AM »
"AS THE SONGS OF YORE SAID, I HAVE THIS PIECE OF ADVICE FOR YOU: JUST WORK THAT BODY, WORK THAT BODY, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HURT NOBODY. BESIDES THAT TALL FELLOW."

As soon as I read that, my first thought was "Oh boy, here we go!"

It sounds like you guys had fun with it. Even if I don't wind up participating, reading these stories is going to be a fun time.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2014, 02:31:34 AM »
Man I have to wake up earlier next time ; v;
Are we doing this every Saturday during the summer, or what's the schedule?
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2014, 12:58:43 AM »
We also got a year's supply of silver polish. None of us has a silver weapon yet, do we?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2014, 02:56:39 PM »
We also got a year's supply of silver polish. None of us has a silver weapon yet, do we?
Nope!

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2014, 05:57:35 PM »
TIL stuffman did not turn off vore scenes
Sugoiiii~

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
She wasn't successfully eaten so it doesn't count.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2014, 05:26:44 AM »
Oh right logs I promised those.

Crawl 1, Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Next session will be an inbetweener.  PX you probably want to throw your character backstory at me.

~Iced finishes sleepdrunk posting~
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:28:52 AM by Iced Fairy »