Author Topic: XCrawl Planning Room  (Read 68044 times)

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
XCrawl Planning Room
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
So I've come to the conclusion I need to social more.  And what's more social then a good old dungeon crawl!  (Don't answer.)  The problem being that I didn't have anything resembling a campaign idea.

Until I saw this nonsense:

In Xcrawl, the players are superstar athletes taking their chances in a live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It?s a modern-day world with a fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ, creates an artificial dungeon under controlled ? but lethal ? conditions. He designs the maze, and stocks it with monsters, secret doors, magical traps, treasure and prizes. The players must go through the dungeon and fulfill whatever conditions the DJ puts forth in order to win.

Xcrawl is a sport and the challenges are created, but the danger is no less real. If you die, you die. There are no second chances. Citizens of the North American Empire tune in every week to watch their favorite celebrities get eaten, paralyzed, turned to stone, and ripped apart. The nation?s hunger for blood and mayhem grows with every contest. How will you fare?

Gameshow dungeoneering was too awesome to pass up, and it means my crazy half pieced together ideas fit the setting!  Thus I rush into the future.

Times:  The plan is to run Saturdays in the evening PST.  Exact hours can be fleshed out with the playerbase.  Aiming for 4-6 PCs as standard, and given the most popular dungeonmurder system is Pathfinder we'll be using that.  I'm expecting with schedules to lose about one game a week, but more then that would be a problem.

World and Setting:  The American Empire, under Ronald the First, rules everywhere from Alaska to Panama.  Well everywhere above ground.  Below ground is the villainous monster realms, that frequently attack in order to destroy human towns and or free their enslaved monstrous brethren.  The Empire itself is a bloated mess, filled with corruption and misrule, where the nobility can do pretty much whatever they please.  The only exception is the XCrawl games.  Live action dungeon crawls under strict rules, where contestants risk their lives for huge prizes.  As the nation's premiere entertainment, any hint of corruption would create huge riots and unrest, thus the high nobles do their best to keep things on the up and up.

Rule wise all Pathfinder classes should be available.  In the dungeons themselves however there are strict rules.  No explosives, no acid, no demons, no save or dies, no Mordenkeinen's Disjunction.  Etc etc etc.  Outside?  You're on your own. 

As to where the PCs fit in?  That's something to be discussed.  I'm willing to do everything from just strict dungeon crawling, to actually having a long term campaign within the empire, moving up the XCrawl circuits and gaining fame or even exploring other ideas within the XCrawl system.  Similarly I'm willing to discuss the actual XCrawl base rules though some (no destroying the dungeon for example) obviously have to be kept around.

Meta Rules:  I dislike infighting, so the one metarule is you have to try to be a reasonable part of the party.  In addition I'm not interested in 'terrible person watch 2014' so I'd like to keep the sociopathy to within the dungeon.  The PCs should not be competing for evillest in the land.

So yeah, those interested feel free to toss up questions and ideas. 

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Re: XCrawl Planning Room
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:17:33 PM »
/in

I like the thought of us doing 'episodes' with a larger metaplot behind it all, but that's me.

Any hard and fast no-nos on your mind currently? Starting level, general ideas?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:19:42 PM by Amraphenson »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:25:58 PM »
Sponsorship contract with Bouncy Bubble Beverage, the guaranteed non-treasonous beverage!
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:28:17 PM »
Any hard and fast no-nos on your mind currently? Starting level, general ideas?
Anything that would get you a ban on IRC is obviously out.  Acceptable violence/lewdness level will need to be worked out when a full group is assembled.

Starting level is probably going to be 4 or 5.  General ideas I'm more curious as to what the PCs are going to be/interested in before making grand pronouncements.  If we do play something with story though, the Empire's 'humanoid uber alles' attitude and corruption will certainly come into play.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
How non-serious is this going to be? Or in Paranoia terms: Zap, Classic, or Straight?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:35:35 PM »
How non-serious is this going to be? Or in Paranoia terms: Zap, Classic, or Straight?
If we're pure episodic?  Zap/Classic.  If we have an actual campaign?  Classic/Straight.  There will always be some hilarity, but I can't go totally wacky.  Not really my system.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
I like the thought of us doing 'episodes' with a larger metaplot behind it all, but that's me.

This sounds good. I don't mind if shit ends up getting real.

I'm a little confused about the setting though, since it seems modern. Is it part of the rules that we're only allowed to use medieval equipment in the dungeons or is the whole world using stuff like that?

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:45:47 PM »
I'm a little confused about the setting though, since it seems modern. Is it part of the rules that we're only allowed to use medieval equipment in the dungeons or is the whole world using stuff like that?
Yeah.  Since its a game show you're limited to medieval weapons.  There is a debate about allowing archaic firearms in, but they don't want you using a 45 to just gun down all the gnolls in a room, and they definitely don't want you using C4 on their golems.  Outside the XCrawl arena of course guns and other modern weapons are available, though finding magical versions outside a noble's villa or the SWAT armory would be difficult.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »
Alright, how do contestants go about getting their skills? Are there training schools that give experience in XCrawl conditions or something or do they just toss unlucky level 1 chumps in the pit and see who advances? Mostly asking so I can work out some character concepts.

Will characters be proficient with modern weapons if they manage to get their hands on them?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 12:10:38 AM »
Anyways, you know my time issues.  If you don't mind this, I am caught between the urge to make a fucked up Synth Summoner, and the urge to make a stabbin' hobo.  Given setting, I think the latter is winning out.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 12:15:47 AM »
Alright, how do contestants go about getting their skills? Are there training schools that give experience in XCrawl conditions or something or do they just toss unlucky level 1 chumps in the pit and see who advances? Mostly asking so I can work out some character concepts.
XCrawl has four divisions.  Rank 3 and up are lethal, but rank 4 (college ranks, amateurs, and gimmick Crawls) are non lethal.  There are gyms and trainers all over the country happy to teach people the ways of Xcrawl.  In addition there's the underground Xcrawl circuit, where the mafia rules and anything goes. 

Finally there is the army, police forces, or if you're playing a divine character god could just give you awesomeness.  You're starting at level 4-6 which I've always felt can be lots of training and talent on its own.

Will characters be proficient with modern weapons if they manage to get their hands on them?
Guns yes.  Tanks no.  Similarly, your character will not need to take "Driving" as a skill, unless they're a street racer on the side.

I'll probably allow more skill points to flesh out characters, just because there's lots of outside world stuff that a Crawler doesn't need.  But that will be after I take a little longer look at the rules.

Since people do seem interested in a semi-campaign.  I'll probably allow higher base starting stats.  Charisma (for grandstanding) will be useful, and the players are going to be pro athletes (kinda sorta).  I'll review Pathfinder pointbuy.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 12:22:50 AM »
I don't have my Xcrawl book anymore, but I believe the idea came from LARPers, and the first actual crawlers recruited were athletes. Low-level equipment tends to be baseball bats, sports pads, etc. At higher levels* you're wearing kevlar/ceramic armor and carrying compound bows, iPads, titanium alloy swords, all emblazoned like a Nascar.

*higher levels of money, not necessarily of experience. Experience can get you wins, which can get you fame, which can get you sponsorships, which can get you money, but it's not a direct relationship.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:26:20 AM by O4rfish »

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 12:30:52 AM »
I don't have my Xcrawl book anymore, but I believe the idea came from LARPers, and the first actual crawlers recruited were athletes. Low-level equipment tends to be baseball bats, sports pads, etc. At higher levels you're wearing kevlar/ceramic armor and carrying compound bows, iPads, titanium alloy swords, all emblazoned like a Nascar.
I admit to not working entirely (or even closely) off the book here.  But yes, initial weaponry and armor tends to be modernish, excepting of course specialized stuff.  However most equipment over the course of the game tends to be earned in XCrawl rather then bought (and all equipment needs to be XCrawl approved).

(Also the new storyline is they found some D&D manuals from "ye olde days" and thought it was a totally great idea to make a game show out of it.  They burnt through a lot of athletes in the early days.)

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 12:32:17 AM »
I'll be interested if anyone would be willing to fill me in on the basics

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 12:45:39 AM »

If you mean worldbuilding wise the above is pretty much what's been decided so far.  If you mean game system wise I'm sure you can find plenty of victims willing to help you form a murderhobo.

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 12:53:23 AM »
Here's the outline for creating a character. Go ahead and have fun, and just ask if something is confusing you.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 01:03:53 AM »
What is everyone thinking of playing? I want to base my class choice on rounding out the party, in case we end up lopsided in one area or another.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 01:15:51 AM »
Leaning toward a stabbin' thief.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 01:45:41 AM »
Alchemist, probably focusing on the bomb throwing. I can be a ghetto off-healer/buffer at the same time as well with extracts.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 02:43:44 AM »
I will try to match the dungeons to your party.  After all no one wants to watch three fighters stare at a lock for 30 minutes.  Still you probably want some synergy and balance.

Feel free to hash out character plotsets as well.  I can pull you all together via ~plot~ at the start, but feel free to have your gang as a prexisting team if you want.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 02:56:42 AM »
I would like to play a bard, unless Amra wants niche protection.  Something built around emotional and magical support.

What sort of playing framework or virtual tabletop would be used?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:58:49 AM by O4rfish »

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 03:00:35 AM »
We would be using IRC, a dice bot and "eh sounds about right."

And since this info might be of use:

[19:47] <Amra> How long do crawls last/how frequently do they happen?
[19:47] <Amra> and what do the athletes do in between
[19:48] <Iced> So most crawls are like 1-2 hours.
[19:48] <Iced> At the lower divisions.
[19:48] <Iced> There are of course marathons and quick events and stuff.
[19:48] <Amra> So fast and dirty lethal obstacle courses
[19:48] <Iced> Yeah.  D&D combat is fast.
[19:49] <Amra> Mm.
[19:49] <Amra> I'm assuming we're working under teams?
[19:49] <Iced> There's usually one break room where you can rest and heal without fear of BS.  (Like no traps allowed.  Official rules)
[19:49] <Iced> Yeah the PCs will be a team.
[19:50] <Iced> As for in between...  well it's kinda like football players.
[19:50] <Amra> Mmk. What kind of access do PCs have to their abilities outside of crawls?
[19:50] <Iced> You have all your skills and powers.  And can in fact use them to cheat or just in day to day life.  But there are laws and stuff.
[19:51] <Iced> So like stabbing people.  Kinda illegal.  Same as breaking into banks and taking things.
[19:51] <Amra> But general harmless stuff is okay.
[19:51] <Amra> Just magic/psionic/what have you.
[19:52] <Iced> Yeah.  So long as you aren't trying to start up a buisness (that take a liscence etc).  But you want to create food and water for yourself?  Do it.
[19:52] <Amra> Awesome.
[19:52] <Amra> Specifically I ask because I want to run the alchemist and all, I'm curious about what's allowed with regards to bringing stuff into Crawls
[19:52] <Iced> Taking alchemical drugs before fighting game tourneys is uncool though bro. :P

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 03:08:45 AM »
Alright. I'm going to be playing a Zen Archer Monk that is basically Byakuren. I'm sure you can see where this is going plotwise.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 03:19:05 AM »
I figure as long as someone doesn't make a wizzard we'll be fine and all have jobs to do.

A no magic at all party would be best, because then we'd actually have to solve puzzles and shits.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 03:19:57 AM »
Well I have no idea how the DnD system works so... :V

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 03:50:11 AM »
Well I have no idea how the DnD system works so... :V

First you decide what you want to do.  And then you make a wizard or cleric that does it.  Then you usually grab one of the archetype class that goes along with it.  Want to use sharp things to stab things that scream and bleed?  Pick a stabby class.  Want to do that without them seeing you?  Pick a stealthy class.  Want to blast people with lightning?  Play a blasty class.  Etc etc.  Toss up an idea and people can help I'm sure.

A no magic at all party would be best, because then we'd actually have to solve puzzles and shits
Puzzle hack spells are the usual banned spell list, and similarly there will be no prismatic bullshit from my side.  Again, feel free to chat about what should and shouldn't be in a XCrawl environment, on either side.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 05:02:30 AM »
Lots of plasma TV screens, and lots of cameras, protected by force fields. The "plotlines" of the dungeons conform to standard adventure tropes, so as not to confuse the spectators.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »
Dungeonwise I'm going to try to have them be thematic.  Like the "Medieval Times" dungeon which tries to be as hokey old school as possible, or the "Star Battles 20th anniversary Crawl" with "fights ripped straight from the movie!"  Of course there'll be generics as well (because I am not a font of limitless good ideas) but I want to have a variety of shows to work with.

However the details depend a lot on player social status, so!

I've thought up three general "tones" for the campaign.  I don't really have a preference for any one, so feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

1. Standard - You're a bunch of newbs, but with your Rank 3 Crawl certifications, the sky is the limit.  Sure the DJs you're working with other newbs, wannabes and low ranking salarymen, but with some impressive wins (and a bit of bargaining) you can go all the way to the top, escaping the shitty class system and bypassing the horrid corruption to stand among the nobility.  A group that is always totally fair, and certainly not prone to hiring assassins and otherwise throwing tantrums when things don't go their way.  This campaign should start off crawl heavy and have plenty of hilarity low level, before you start getting into the big leagues and politics ruin everything (unless you like stabbing elected officials).  It'll allow us to build up the world before the super dangerous social nonsense starts though.

2 - The Dark Underbelly - For whatever reason, warrants, bad luck, or just personal insanity you're working the illegal XCrawl circuit.  The mafia loves their rules, but they also love to break them, and unscrupulous gamblers are willing to do anything to win a bet.  On the other hand, the rewards are better, at least at first.  And now one complains if you violate the spirit of the rules, so long as you keep to the letter.  Things start dangerous on and off the field, which means we'll have to do more world building earlier and there will probably be more crossed wires, but it'll be a mix of lethal challenges in and out of crawl from the start.

3 - Consolation Prize - You missed the boat.  Maybe you didn't have the skills, maybe you got a bad draw in practice, maybe people just don't like you, but your group didn't get into the 3rd rank crawls.  Stuck at rank 4 nonlethal, you're in more danger of dying due to DJ incompetence and cheating then the monsters.  Forced to do crawls at rich nobles birthday parties, cheap advertising crawls and fanservice dungeons, for tiny prizes, you'll at least have time to chat with the other flunkies of the system.  Assuming you manage to get your rent to the landlord on time.  Of course it is possible to escape from the hellhole of rank 4, legally or illegally.  Strive to be one of the lucky few!  Basically this is kinda a hybrid of the above two.  Lots of conflict up front, but not very lethal conflict at the start giving time to world build.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »
Hmm, I might be interested in joining in after I return from vacation next weekend.
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
  • Should I be concerned? I think I should be concern
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »
Although I'm not too skilled at Pathfinder character building, but PCGen is very useful.

However, I am away until after tomorrow. I think I will join in, though. This could be fun!

However, I can't start anything like that until I get home later tomorrow. I'll also probably wait until tone and world and background stuff is set to start character making, though.