Author Topic: Capcom Now Selling! Place your bids! Throw out your bets!`  (Read 3525 times)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Capcom Now Selling! Place your bids! Throw out your bets!`
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:42:23 PM »
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/capcom-is-now-available-for-purchase#.U6BvN_ldUl0

Article explains it better than I could really.

"In a new twist, Capcom is technically available to purchase. While they have been a third party company since the beginning, stockholders voted to end their takeover defense, which has been in place since 2008. Essentially, that means their stock is available to be purchased by any big company, and should someone want, they can purchase a 51% share stake and get console exclusivity for their various IP. While that doesn't mean someone will pay the hefty amount of money required for a takeover, it is now a very real possibility.

Anyone who chooses to invest such a large sum of money would gain some extremely prominent franchises. Capcom controls Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Mega Man, and many more.
"

Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: Capcom Now Selling! Place your bids! Throw out your bets!`
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:46:37 PM »
This'll be... interesting to see how this develops.  If it goes anywhere at all.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »
HEY SONY

DO US A FUCKING FAVOR AND GET SOME EXCLUSIVES

:V

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »
It would be phenomenal if Nintendo bought Mega Man off of Capcom to give him the revival he deserves.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
Nintendo: Mega Man, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Okami
Sony: Street Fighter, Resident Evil, DMC, Dead Rising
Microsoft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t_Co0gfj18

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
I could see Nintendo wanting to make sure they still get their Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter releases moving along.

Still, this was pretty well-expected, Crapcom has been struggling for ages now.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 03:27:41 AM »
I can't say I'm already happy because I don't know how things will turn out. But I can certainly say that if Nintendo buys Mega Man, I'll be extremely happy.

Nintendo: Mega Man, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Okami
Sony: Street Fighter, Resident Evil, DMC, Dead Rising
Microsoft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t_Co0gfj18

I'd be fine with that. It's a good distribution, and I'm sure the 3 companies would take good care of their respective games.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 03:32:19 AM »
Microsoft or... steambox will buy capcom, thereby making monster hunter an even bigger platform jumping cheat of a series.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
No one.

Whoever buys Capcom via a stock takeover will inherit their current debts and expenses, both of which are substantial.  This knocks out virtually everyone aside from those with REALLY deep pockets.  This eliminates Sony and Nintendo from competition.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:49:38 AM by Aya Reiko »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 08:32:47 AM »
Stupid laws should just allow them to inherit the franchises anyway. :V

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »
Maybe I should buy capcom
what do you guys think

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »
Stupid laws should just allow them to inherit the franchises anyway. :V
They can just wait for Capcom to go same way THQ did and try to get the bits and pieces they want from auction.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »
Maybe I should buy capcom
what do you guys think
You secretly a billionaire, YJ?  Fancy.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
go yj

then make a kancolle 2d fighting game

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 06:17:45 PM »
No one.

Whoever buys Capcom via a stock takeover will inherit their current debts and expenses, both of which are substantial.  This knocks out virtually everyone aside from those with REALLY deep pockets.  This eliminates Sony and Nintendo from competition.

Wait, did I get it correctly? Are you trying to imply that Microsoft will CERTAINLY be the one to buy Capcom?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »
Oh fuck what if EA buys Capcom? Could Capcom get any worse!??!?!
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 06:25:21 PM »
Oh fuck what if EA buys Capcom? Could Capcom get any worse!??!?!
Don't say that they'll take it as a challenge

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 10:52:25 PM »
My vote goes to Nintendo. I don't care how much debt they have to deal with, Ninty needs games for its Wii U and this could be the shot in the arm it needs to stay competitive. Sony I'm kind of ok with, they need the games too (Monhun for Vita? yesplz). However, I don't exactly trust them to keep the franchises afloat. Microsoft...Worst case scenario is that they cannibalize Capcom like they did with Rare, and we get properties that're watered down or nothing like the games we expected.*

*feel free to prove me wrong otherwise, I don't follow MS very closely these days

EA...No. Lol. They already got Bioware and Popcap under the knife, they could snuff them out without a second thought and that'd be it. Ubisoft might be more benevolent, but I can't trust them to make interesting sequels. Disney...That would be hilarious if they got Capcom, we could get some pretty crazy ideas...Marvel vs. Disney vs. Star Wars vs Capcom, anyone?

Valve I'm indifferent about, really. I don't see what they'd do with the properties if they actually get them, aside from some silly cross-promo thing with TF2/Half-Life/Portal/etc. We'll just have to see.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »
I don't know anything about capcom's debt, and/or the funds/resources of other companies, but I find it hard to believe that sony, which has been a successful business making cd players, dvd players, televisions, walkmans, stereos, in addition to the playstation, and god knows how many other electronic devices, cannot afford the debt of a single game company.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 05:22:37 AM »
I don't need to go farther then a simple google search to note that Sony stock has been on decline all year now, though

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 07:17:53 AM »
I don't know anything about capcom's debt, and/or the funds/resources of other companies, but I find it hard to believe that sony, which has been a successful business making cd players, dvd players, televisions, walkmans, stereos, in addition to the playstation, and god knows how many other electronic devices, cannot afford the debt of a single game company.
Actually, Sony is DEEP in the red, posting over a billion-dollar loss for the last fiscal year and expecting at least a half a billion loss this year.  They can't afford Capcom, period.

Neither can Nintendo, posting losses for two consecutive years.

- - - -

Someone I can see opting to buy Capcom out this way is Time Warner.  They definitely have the money and an interest in the VG industry, but they'll only bite if they call the shots with no exceptions.  In addition to the games, it also could potentially give them control to produce TV and/or movies based on Capcom's franchises.

In a similar vein, Disney too.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:27:15 AM by Aya Reiko »