Author Topic: Team ⑨ Mystical Quest - (Touhou RPG) - Alpha v.6 released!  (Read 176463 times)

MrFlox888

• "And Then There Were None!"
Re: Team ⑨ Mystical Quest - (Touhou RPG) - Alpha v.3 is out!
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2014, 05:33:18 AM »
Important Bug Report:

"-Upon returning to the SDM after Mayohiga, if you learned heal from Koakuma, you can talk to her again to learn Fire. This is your only opportunity to learn it."

Dialogue never appears after Mayohiga. Only the dialogue where Koakuma explains that she can go to Makai anytime she pleases is present.

And yes, I am replaying the game over again. lol

[EDIT] I just replayed the game and I didn't get it because I went to the Human Village incident part before actually seeing if I would get the spell.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:05:27 AM by MrFlox888 »

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2014, 06:11:22 AM »
Important Bug Report:

"-Upon returning to the SDM after Mayohiga, if you learned heal from Koakuma, you can talk to her again to learn Fire. This is your only opportunity to learn it."

Dialogue never appears after Mayohiga. Only the dialogue where Koakuma explains that she can go to Makai anytime she pleases is present.

And yes, I am replaying the game over again. lol
Did you went straight to Koakuma after finishing Mayohiga? I never experience this bug.

You really are this game biggest fan.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »
OK took some time to think about going with these two designs, the first one I took what you originally had and added some... flare to it. These are just examples so let me know if you like one and I'll resize it for use.

This one... well I've been playing a lot of ff14 and this is kinda a test to myself to see if I can make something like the FF titles. It's still a bit rough and hopefully I can learn how to make it way better.

Something that would really help is if you have an idea of what your title should look like, it can help me visualize what you want and can work from there.

Demo:

Well not fully done with it yet but something I really need to bring up is the tutorial. The difficulty curve is very random and can get really difficult if things go wrong. The first thing to note is the dependence on potions, gameplay stand point I can see why and its not a bad idea but executed poorly. My first run ended in death because I had no potions drop for me on my first run and relied on the chests. This could be remedied by having those specific enemies always drop potions and then when the boss fight is over replace them with the current encounters, they become much more manageable with two party members.

Cirno's Icicle Shot is of no help and just a waste of MP in the beginning. It does less damage then melee and the first boss is resistant to it, making the whole beginning nothing but spamming melee. A few tips I could give is either make it stronger and thus it becomes "Do I save my MP for a boss or do I use it when I'm in trouble?". Another way is to add special buff or debuffs to it, a effect that cause slow down, stopping, or even cause more melee damage for Cirno. Play around with it and see if you can make it either fun or tactical to use, cause right now it's not worth anything in the beginning.

TL;DR: Tutorial is unbalanced, Cirno's first spell is useless.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

MrFlox888

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2014, 08:07:55 AM »
Did you went straight to Koakuma after finishing Mayohiga? I never experience this bug.

False Alarm: I just replayed the game till that point again and realized I didn't get it because I went to the Human Village incident part before actually seeing if I would get the spell.
(Updated previous post)

You really are this game biggest fan.

I just have a lot of free time this Holiday.

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »
Demo:

Well not fully done with it yet but something I really need to bring up is the tutorial. The difficulty curve is very random and can get really difficult if things go wrong. The first thing to note is the dependence on potions, gameplay stand point I can see why and its not a bad idea but executed poorly. My first run ended in death because I had no potions drop for me on my first run and relied on the chests. This could be remedied by having those specific enemies always drop potions and then when the boss fight is over replace them with the current encounters, they become much more manageable with two party members.

Cirno's Icicle Shot is of no help and just a waste of MP in the beginning. It does less damage then melee and the first boss is resistant to it, making the whole beginning nothing but spamming melee. A few tips I could give is either make it stronger and thus it becomes "Do I save my MP for a boss or do I use it when I'm in trouble?". Another way is to add special buff or debuffs to it, a effect that cause slow down, stopping, or even cause more melee damage for Cirno. Play around with it and see if you can make it either fun or tactical to use, cause right now it's not worth anything in the beginning.

NEET tips: skip all the enemies in the tutorial, their XP is worthless.

You haven't seen the encounter with 4 petit kedama. They are the first goddamned bats in this game.

The flower fairy in Road of Liminality is stronger than all those Makaian Fairy.

For the title screen I vote for FF esque one.
I just have a lot of free time this Holiday.
We college student only get mere one day of vacation only.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »
NEET tips: skip all the enemies in the tutorial, their XP is worthless.

You haven't seen the encounter with 4 petit kedama. They are the first goddamned bats in this game.

The flower fairy in Road of Liminality is stronger than all those Makaian Fairy.

For the title screen I vote for FF esque one. We college student only get mere one day of vacation only.

Yeah I read about that earlier but as a tester it's the job to do it anyway. A new player may not know to skip them, plus it's bad design if you have to skip tutorial enemies, unless it's a gameplay element. (Like sneak past against super strong enemies that you shouldn't fight at that time. like F.O.E.s)

Edit: Thank you, its super rough, the edges of cirno are blocky. Depending on how things go I might go back and try a few things to make it look better.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 09:05:11 AM by Colticide »

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »
Yeah I read about that earlier but as a tester it's the job to do it anyway. A new player may not know to skip them, plus it's bad design if you have to skip tutorial enemies, unless it's a gameplay element. (Like sneak past against super strong enemies that you shouldn't fight at that time. like F.O.E.s)

Edit: Thank you, its super rough, the edges of cirno are blocky. Depending on how things go I might go back and try a few things to make it look better.
I'm a tester too as well. That's why I'm giving them this tips.
The first F.O.E in this game is those 4 petit kedamas. That's a good idea if we must avoid them but unfortunately, they also appear in the grass as well.

I only vote for them, it depends on the creator to accept them or not.

One other thing, dat ghost in Ruined Village. I can't stop laughing.

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2014, 03:34:39 PM »
Whew, at last I finished chapter 1,5. The pnly boss to give me real trouble were
Spoiler:
two freaking yukkuri
By the way I see that you decided that the Third Eye effect is to make your attack never miss and doubles the evasion rates. One problem though, missing your attack and the enemy dodging your attack are two different things.

Here's my personal opinion so far.
Yukari may be hard and challenging, to me she's a pushover. I beat her in less than 5 minutes.
Just like Colticide, Yuugen Maagan may be one of the coolest boss in this game, but it didn't impress me either. He's only threatening when you kill 3 of it's eyes.
Elis is hard but manageable, Rumia's useless against her, but Mystia's Mooned Insect will still tear through her reflect but her combo will not.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 05:04:33 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

MrFlox888

« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2014, 06:43:17 PM »
The only boss to give me real trouble were
Spoiler:
the freaking Yukkuri Twins.

For me it was even harder than Reimu (which I ended up fighting before since I actually attempted the battle right after Yukari and failed), but it makes sense since it's an optional boss and you can fight it whenever you want. And the difference between their immunities is what makes it a very hard boss fight.

« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »
So, went and completed the demo again (mostly). This time, with 2 specific restrictions:
1) Win only fights necessary for the plot. So no random encounters, no bonus bosses...
2) No Bombs.
So, unlike the previous completion, it meant going into battle with a very underpowered team. No overpowered (and sometimes even "just useful") spells are available, too. So, since I couldn't just blast through enemies, my opinion once again:

Spells that afflict states are largely useless, because, from what I've seen, ALL main bosses in Makai (and Gensokyo, starting from Yukari) are resistant to Confusion, Blind and Burn. So Blind spell is useless, Flash is useless, Deaf to All but the Song is useless... And in random encounters you won't gain much by using those spells.
  For some reason bosses like to counter elements they are resistant to. What's the point? It's not like players will use such ineffective spells, after all.
  YuugenMagan still didn't impress me. Easily tanked whatever sparks Eyes sent my way, butchered 3 of them and Insect Lullaby'd remaining two.
  Yuki&Mai were... harder. Much. I really learned to "appreciate" that Yuki casts Immolate as often as a Fireball. Especially when she started to spam it constantly for 5 turns, which was every 2nd attempt. And tons of element resists they had on didn't really help. (Why does Yuki have 1/4 resists to both Ice and Fire while Mai has 1/4 to Ice, but takes 2x of Fire damage?)
  Empowered Sunny Milk also gave a lot of trouble - I even had to return to Kourindou and stock on Hi-Potions. Confusion spam is less dangerous than fire spam, sure, but with my attacks being quite weak, even 1-2 attackers confused was a big problem.
Bug: If players are afflicted with the miasma, die during the battle and are revived, miasma effect doesn't return until after the fight.
  Elis was easier than both Yuki&Mai and Empowered Sunny Milk. One of the main reasons is: she doesn't start with multi-hit attacks and by the time she does use them, you may have enough MP&TP to Insect Lullaby her. Still, that's better than "multi-hit fire/confusion spam on 1st turn" or "make one of your attackers useless".

And at the end of Makai I had a solid level 9 for all characters. Yeah, didn't even managed to reach Tier 2 spells  :(
Just like Colticide, Yuugen Maagan may be one of the coolest boss in this game, but it didn't impress me either.
Colticide said something about YuugenMagan?
Elis is hard but manageable, Rumia's useless against her, but Mystia's Mooned Insect will still tear through her reflect but her combo will not.
What combo? Insect Lullaby doesn't reflect. And all others reflect because they all consist of only magical attacks.
For me it was even harder than Reimu (which I ended up fighting before since I actually attempted the battle right after Yukari and failed), but it makes sense since it's an optional boss and you can fight it whenever you want. And the difference between their immunities is what makes it a very hard boss fight.
Huh, and what made it hard for me is that 400hp undodgeable (even with blind) danmaku barrage attack which is spammable and is more than twice as strong as every other attack from them, even with weaknesses (Lifeshaver doesn't count). Immunities didn't really affected me much.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
Colticide said something about YuugenMagan?

I was trying to inquire about how he made YuugenMagan, the sprite layout and how it was done in RPGM. I'm no where near that boss, just got beat by Meiling.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »

Yeah, I'll probably increase the base power of the first spells at some point while keeping the same damage formula.

As for the title screen images, I personally like the first one better out of the two. (It definitely needs to be resized a little bit, though.)
Bug: If players are afflicted with the miasma, die during the battle and are revived, miasma effect doesn't return until after the fight.
Yeah, I can't make the the event that manages the Miasma effect scripts run in the battle screen. The bug will be fixed once I figure out a way to force the event to run during a battle.
The pnly [sic] boss to give me real trouble were
Spoiler:
two freaking yukkuri
I was wondering when people would start talking about them.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
As for the title screen images, I personally like the first one better out of the two. (It definitely needs to be resized a little bit, though.)

Yeah, I can't make the the event that manages the Miasma effect scripts run in the battle screen. The bug will be fixed once I figure out a way to force the event to run during a battle.

OK I'll resize it later to fit the current title screen, I am willing to try something else if you have it in mind.

Just ran a scenario for this and I think I fixed the issue. Started with a floor tile that inflicted as status effect, went into a battle with effect still active, then when party member died the effect came back next turn when revived.

Here's the event I used.

Obviously you want your Miasma effect in place of the poison.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:23:01 PM by Colticide »

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2014, 12:22:36 AM »
I was trying to inquire about how he made YuugenMagan, the sprite layout and how it was done in RPGM. I'm no where near that boss, just got beat by Meiling.
I guess I misread your comment, sorry.
I was wondering when people would start talking about them.
I'll talk about them, the funny thing is, they're stronger than Yukari. I know they're optional boss, but come on,
Spoiler:
a freaking yukkuri
is stronger than Yukari?.
The 2 main problem about them is their danmaku barrage (Yukari's barrage much much weaker) and their suicide attack.
  For some reason bosses like to counter elements they are resistant to. What's the point? It's not like players will use such ineffective spells, after all.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the only exception to these rules is Luna Child.

Edit: My mistake, Mooned Insect DOES pierce Elis' reflect. I must have been really tired when I wrote my last post
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:49:05 AM by Your Everyday NEET »

MrFlox888

« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »
... I know they're optional boss, but come on,
Spoiler:
a freaking yukkuri
is stronger than Yukari?.

They are living entities beyond human comprehension and they try to fit in the world of Gensokyo.
But speaking seriously, it's obvious that they are like that in the game since they are technically a "joke" in itself so yeah, I accept that they are tougher than a more important character. lol

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2014, 01:44:18 AM »
Hey guys, I just had an amazing idea while I was cluttering Pandaemonium with loot chests and enemies.

Remember how in the current version you can find a shield known as the "Red Shield" in the
Spoiler:
Ruins of Vina
? Well, I thought of a side quest involving it and the other members of it's family of shields (I'm going to refer to them as the "Elemental Shields" for now.). The side mission is going to involve finding all the elemental shields, which are going to be scattered across Makai for the moment. If you find them all, you can then go to a location (which is yet to be determined) and merge them with Aegis (The early-game shield you can get if you chose it after beating
Spoiler:
The Yukkuri Twins
) to create a "Rainbow Shield" which is basically all the elemental shields combined into one.

Any thoughts on this idea?

MrFlox888

« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2014, 01:48:01 AM »
Hey guys, I just had an amazing idea while I was cluttering Pandaemonium with loot chests and enemies.

Remember how in the current version you can find a shield known as the "Red Shield" in the
Spoiler:
Ruins of Vina
? Well, I thought of a side quest involving it and the other members of it's family of shields (I'm going to refer to them as the "Elemental Shields" for now.). The side mission is going to involve finding all the elemental shields, which are going to be scattered across Makai for the moment. If you find them all, you can then go to a location (which is yet to be determined) and merge them with Aegis (The early-game shield you can get if you chose it after beating
Spoiler:
The Yukkuri Twins
) to create a "Rainbow Shield" which is basically all the elemental shields combined into one.

More side-quests? Yes! I like the idea. Just make sure that the items are not sold-able, because I sell equipment that gets replaced every time I can.

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2014, 01:55:40 AM »

Spoiler:
Ruins of Vina
Spoiler:
The Yukkuri Twins

It's a good thing I chose that shield.

I sure hope that this sidequest is as awesome as Makai itself

What abou the Reaver though? Does it eventually get it's own sidequest?

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2014, 02:02:04 AM »
What abou the Reaver though? Does it eventually get it's own sidequest?

I could have it that if you chose Reaver instead, instead of creating a "Rainbow Shield" you'd create a "Rainbow Sword" which hits with every major element in the game (Hopefully without being a total game breaker.). How does that sound?

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2014, 03:13:01 AM »
Hey just wanted to know if those things I posted about the script edit and the bug fix worked at all.

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2014, 03:26:45 AM »
I could have it that if you chose Reaver instead, instead of creating a "Rainbow Shield" you'd create a "Rainbow Sword" which hits with every major element in the game (Hopefully without being a total game breaker.). How does that sound?
While that sounds appropriate and awesome,I think it just make it easier for the enemy to activate their counter attack considering it will be hitting their resistance and weakness at the same time.
The choice is all up to you.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2014, 04:05:41 AM »
Hey just wanted to know if those things I posted about the script edit and the bug fix worked at all.

Both of them worked perfectly. Thank you.  :)

So what's your opinion on the side quest idea?

MrFlox888

« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2014, 04:08:35 AM »
I got a friend interested in the game not so long ago (he hasn't joined the forums as of yet) and he went a little overboard with Bombs even though he didn't grind that much, he just had so much spare money from Makai and he did defeated every boss, even the optional bosses
Spoiler:
(Yukkuri Twins and Flandre (the not impossible one)).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:10:31 AM by MrFlox888 »

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2014, 04:15:58 AM »
I got a friend interested in the game not so long ago (he hasn't joined the forums as of yet) and he went a little overboard with Bombs even though he didn't grind that much, he just had so much spare money from Makai and he did defeated every boss, even the optional bosses
Spoiler:
(Yukkuri Twins and Flandre (the not impossible one)).
I can't see the image, sadly.
Judging by the use of the word "overboard", I'm guessing at least one of the party members had an obscenely high MAT for their level. If that's the case, I think I should probably make Bombs harder to get. :P

MrFlox888

« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »
I can't see the image, sadly.
Judging by the use of the word "overboard", I'm guessing at least one of the party members had an obscenely high MAT for their level. If that's the case, I think I should probably make Bombs harder to get. :P

Exactly, the image is of Wriggle (Lvl. 16) with a MAT of 234. Items equipped: Laevateinn, Aegis and Magic Amplifier.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2014, 04:27:23 AM »
Exactly, the image is of Wriggle (Lvl. 16) with a MAT of 234. Items equipped: Laevateinn, Aegis and Magic Amplifier.

lol. I never expected anyone to turn Wriggle into a death machine instead of designating her as an item user or healer!

Also, he used 102 bombs!?!?! (Yes, I did the math.) HOLY SHIT I DEFINITELY MADE THOSE TOO CHEAP! I'm going to greatly increase their price now.

MrFlox888

« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2014, 04:33:29 AM »
lol. I never expected anyone to turn Wriggle into a death machine instead of designating her as an item user or healer!

Also, he used 102 bombs!?!?! (Yes, I did the math.) HOLY SHIT I DEFINITELY MADE THOSE TOO CHEAP! I'm going to greatly increase their price now.

Ok. They only feel hard to buy when the enemies give you low amounts of money.

Did I mention he uses Haste and "Apparitions Stalk the Night" on Wriggle?...

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2014, 05:11:13 AM »
Did I mention he uses Haste and "Apparitions Stalk the Night" on Wriggle?...

So much overkill...

Anyways, I got more progress done on Pandaemonium, now there are a total of two "Monster in a box"s in the game. Say hello to WTF's annoying cousin: FML.
Unlike the Guardian (which will be renamed "Loot Guardian" in the next version), FML does not drop an accessory. Instead your reward is two Bombs and a Megalixir. (Along with anything its WTF cohort drops.)

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2014, 06:41:29 AM »
So much overkill...

Anyways, I got more progress done on Pandaemonium, now there are a total of two "Monster in a box"s in the game. Say hello to WTF's annoying cousin: FML.
Unlike the Guardian (which will be renamed "Loot Guardian" in the next version), FML does not drop an accessory. Instead your reward is two Bombs and a Megalixir. (Along with anything its WTF cohort drops.)
FML? What could it mean? Full Metal Light? Fail Magic Laughing? Freaking Miniature Laser? Arrgh!!

I'm willing to bet 100 Yen that mooned insect will damage whatever that thing was.

« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2014, 07:47:44 AM »
So little?  :wat: Meh. I used more than 700 before I challenged Multi-Flan... (by the way, there is absolutely no reason to spend money on recovery items. Regular/Makaian fairies/flower fairies can drop whatever you need (from Potions to Extends), so the only thing worth spending money on is... Bombs, yeah. And maybe Elixirs, but right now they aren't that useful for their price)
FML? What could it mean? Full Metal Light? Fail Magic Laughing? Freaking Miniature Laser? Arrgh!!
The answer is here~
Perfect. A luck-based boss. Just what we've needed. After all, there's absolutely no chance it'll just stop everyone and spam 400hp undodgeable danmaku barrage while they're disabled...
Spoiler:
Ruins of Vina
Spoiler:
The Yukkuri Twins

That's quite a ridiculous amount of shields. Fire, Ice, Lightning, Insect, Light, Dark, Sap, Wind, Water (is it a separate element?), maybe Earth if you were to add it, all merged into one. But overall, it doesn't sound bad.
While that sounds appropriate and awesome,I think it just make it easier for the enemy to activate their counter attack considering it will be hitting their resistance and weakness at the same time.
Cirno's Icicle Sword doesn't activate Sunny's counter, so I doubt this one will.

EDIT: By the way, do you still need sprites? I may try to make some, like a certain eye...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:56:07 AM by Searinox119 »