Author Topic: Team ⑨ Mystical Quest - (Touhou RPG) - Alpha v.6 released!  (Read 177620 times)

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
Re: Team ⑨ Mystical Quest - (Touhou RPG) - Alpha v.6 released!
« Reply #480 on: October 06, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »
They are actually going to be unlocked at the beginning of Chapter 3.

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #481 on: November 23, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »
Finally did something I've been wanting to. Here's a tileset for the Bamboo Forest of the Lost! It's not perfect but it works fine if you don't make the bamboo taller. Then it'll look really weird... http://imgur.com/a/p8TuT

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #482 on: November 23, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »
Whoa. This is a pleasant surprise.

Thanks!

Oh, and I'm sorry about the lack of updates. I was busy with things... Anyway, I'm on fall break now, so I'll try to get some more things done.

EDIT: I say, the bamboo forest is looking pretty good!
[attach=1]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:37:33 PM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #483 on: December 28, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »
I really can't resist spriting more stuff for this game... Well here you go :D
Have some shaded YuugenMagan eye

As well as these guys

Is that 8-bit NEET? Yup it is :D

Have you decided on the Muenzuka boss yet? Because that's a good opportunity for using Searinox's Yumemi. It's said that the hakurei barrier is somewhat blurred there so it's likely for spiriting-away to happen.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #484 on: December 28, 2016, 06:39:32 PM »
Muenzuka will not have a boss.

Also is there a non 8-bit version of that Kaguya? Because both the 8-bit and non 8-bit versions of the sprite are going to be used in game.

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #485 on: December 28, 2016, 07:21:27 PM »
Muenzuka will not have a boss.
Oh, I see.
Also is there a non 8-bit version of that Kaguya? Because both the 8-bit and non 8-bit versions of the sprite are going to be used in game.
Sure, here you go:

Also will the 8-bit fight have no background like in the video? I think it wouldn't be too hard for me to make an 8-bit Bamboo Forest battleback.

Edit: I really am a spriting addict...
http://imgur.com/jLMri5V
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:46:52 PM by GenoCraft »

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #486 on: December 28, 2016, 07:47:08 PM »
Also will the 8-bit fight have no background like in the video? I think it wouldn't be too hard for me to make an 8-bit Bamboo Forest battleback.
Most likely, since it's meant to be a reference to Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior battles from the 8 bit games, which were usually on a completely black background.

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #487 on: December 30, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »
Crap, I completely forgot this was done XP
[attach=1]

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #488 on: December 30, 2016, 05:47:55 PM »
Hooded Mima?

« Reply #489 on: December 30, 2016, 05:51:39 PM »
The tragic tale of Ichirin trying to cosplay as Mima and forgetting that Mima was supposed to have eyes.

On a more serious note, that looks... weird, what with solid color hair and eyeless face that doesn't look like usual. And I wonder why the outfit was recolored to dark, considering that you didn't include a cloak, so the outfit shouldn't even be different.

And finally, I did have some mockups of cloaked Mima before I gave up.
[attachimg=1]
Would you like me to continue with this or is Ichirin/Mima splice fine as it is? If you would, do you prefer a blue cloak over black one? Is gold lining better or not? Do you want the shadow-obscured face or the one without shadow?

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #490 on: December 30, 2016, 07:00:32 PM »

Hooded Mima?
Yup :D
The tragic tale of Ichirin trying to cosplay as Mima and forgetting that Mima was supposed to have eyes.

On a more serious note, that looks... weird, what with solid color hair and eyeless face that doesn't look like usual. And I wonder why the outfit was recolored to dark, considering that you didn't include a cloak, so the outfit shouldn't even be different.

And finally, I did have some mockups of cloaked Mima before I gave up.
[attachimg=1]
Would you like me to continue with this or is Ichirin/Mima splice fine as it is? If you would, do you prefer a blue cloak over black one? Is gold lining better or not? Do you want the shadow-obscured face or the one without shadow?

Well, the eyeless thing was just to make her creepier. That's often used i  japanese games and anime in case you didn't know.
Nazgul said:
-Mima (Wearing a hooded cloak so it's not immediately apparent that's her)
Yours doesn't resemble Mima at all, which was why it took me so long to finish. There's the hair sticking out of the hood, the white parts of the outfit and it being very long to hide her ghost tail. In the end I changed her color to dark so that it wouldn't be so obvious, Nazgul never said it MUST be blue.

« Reply #491 on: December 30, 2016, 08:20:59 PM »
Well, the eyeless thing was just to make her creepier. That's often used i  japanese games and anime in case you didn't know.
The problem isn't quite the lack of eyes (though that's pretty random for a character), it's that no other sprites have their face shaded like that. That's the most jarring thing.
Yours doesn't resemble Mima at all,
Yes, it doesn't resemble Mima. That was the reason why I gave up, if I remember correctly. Problem is, it's rather difficult to make someone in a hooded cloak resemble anyone. I mean, unless you go for colorful personalized cloaks with star patterns or something, but that'd raise the question of "why would you even wear one if it gives you away?".
which was why it took me so long to finish.  There's the hair sticking out of the hood, the white parts of the outfit and it being very long to hide her ghost tail. In the end I changed her color to dark so that it wouldn't be so obvious,
...? Hair sticking out of a hood (and the whole hood) is 100% recolored Ichirin. Mima part is also mostly copied, including all "white bits" (while at that, the entire back sprite is fully dark, even though some of the white parts would certainly be seen, and there's no sign of the parts that should be covering the shoulders). It took so long?
Nazgul never said it MUST be blue.
I don't think he explicitly asked for a blue outfit, yes... but the battle sprite shows her to have a blue outfit, the dialogue portrait shows her to have a blue outfit and that guideline image in a post of his had a blue outfit. So it'd be consistent to give her overworld sprite a blue outfit.

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #492 on: February 03, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »
I think I've found a way to fix the bug with enemy revival spells. That was because of the "Untargetable State" script, it makes a dead enemy untargetable even to revival. Just delete line 103("return false if dead?") or put a # at the beginning of it, I think that should be enough.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #493 on: February 04, 2017, 02:36:10 AM »
I think I've found a way to fix the bug with enemy revival spells. That was because of the "Untargetable State" script, it makes a dead enemy untargetable even to revival. Just delete line 103("return false if dead?") or put a # at the beginning of it, I think that should be enough.
Huh... Let me take a look at it. If this works, then you're a lifesaver lol.

Kizune-Chao

• Overambitous Fandom-hopping otaku
  • Fandom-hopping Otaku
« Reply #494 on: March 27, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »
They are actually going to be unlocked at the beginning of Chapter 3.

Are you SURE you want to do that? Think about it for a moment.

From what I understand so far, you're basically running around Gensokyo in Chapter 1, then spend all of Chapter 2 in Makai, which is a pain to traverse the first time around.
In Chapter 3 you're basically leaving Gensokyo and won't come back until Chapter 5(AKA the early endgame), and I doubt they'd be of much use unless a player wants to go for all the party's (optional) ultimate weapons.

I apologize for sounding overly critical here, but this is just a heads-up.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #495 on: March 27, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
It's my game. Plus these are alpha builds.

Once I stop procrastinating and the next version comes out then I'll decide whether or not I want the gaps to be unlocked earlier.

Anyway I'm on spring break now, so I have a lot more opportunities to finally get around to finishing Rumia's sidequest now that I don't have college and work eating up 80% of the day. So you might be seeing some progress updates soon.

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #496 on: June 16, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
Remade Yuki. Now it's not just a Marisa recolor.
[attach=1]

MrFlox888

• "And Then There Were None!"
« Reply #497 on: August 07, 2017, 06:22:16 AM »
Can you believe it's been 2 years and I haven't posted anything. I feel so out now. rip
My life has been going through some changes but the Touhou spirit still lives on me, I swear!

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #498 on: August 07, 2017, 06:32:48 AM »
I really need to finish this next version. You guys have been waiting way too long and I deeply apologize for that.  :ohdear:

My life has been... sorta hectic this entire summer. I hope you can all understand.

Kizune-Chao

• Overambitous Fandom-hopping otaku
  • Fandom-hopping Otaku
« Reply #499 on: August 25, 2017, 12:40:12 AM »
SORRY I'M LATE!
So...

It's my game. Plus these are alpha builds.

Once I stop procrastinating and the next version comes out then I'll decide whether or not I want the gaps to be unlocked earlier.

Anyway I'm on spring break now, so I have a lot more opportunities to finally get around to finishing Rumia's sidequest now that I don't have college and work eating up 80% of the day. So you might be seeing some progress updates soon.

OK, fair enough. And I apologize for my previous statement in this thread.  :ohdear:
If the gaps really are going to be unlocked late, maybe you could create shortcuts for certain dungeons(*ahemRuinsofVinaahem*) so you'll only need to go the long way the first time you visit.
Again, this is just a suggestion, but I understand if you don't implement it (as you said, this IS your game, after all.)

I really need to finish this next version. You guys have been waiting way too long and I deeply apologize for that.  :ohdear:

My life has been... sorta hectic this entire summer. I hope you can all understand.

It's all good, dude. I understand why you needed to take a break for a while. In the meantime, I'll be patiently waiting for the next version! :)

Remade Yuki. Now it's not just a Marisa recolor.
[attach=1]
That sprite looks awesome, dude! :)

Tom

• Programmer
    • LunarCast Network
« Reply #500 on: September 11, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »
Just beat the game with true ending (After getting the bad end...) ! Amazing RPG Game, we need more of these!
The bridge battle boss rush was one of the best parts of it!  I was saying the whole time, when will Clash on the Big Bridge play... you can't have a bridge battle scene like that without the classic music!  And it was saved for the final boss awesome!

« Reply #501 on: April 12, 2018, 05:51:37 PM »
Hello there Nazgul! I know I'm a bit late to the party as it were, but I only came across this video fairly recently while searching for something else Touhou related:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlvGf631xzQ

After I'd finished laughing my head off at the giant Mystical Chain fairies, I did finally get round to downloading and playing this game, and I have to admit to being pretty damn impressed at everyone's efforts. I'm currently playing through it, so I thought I'd sign up here since the comment I added to the video above might be overlooked. ;)

If it's not too presumptuous for a newbie, I'd also like to help out. I can't exactly contribute more than suggestions or grammar/spelling corrections as I'm no artist or musician, but I do know my games and I can read & write Japanese.

At any rate, I'll wait for a response from you before I start listing anything. :)

« Reply #502 on: April 29, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
Oh, no reply yet... I guess I know how you felt when you first started out with this game and no-one responded for a while. :P

No matter, I might as well put up an update: I've gone through the first 3 chapters over half a dozen times now, including the earlier releases so I can see exactly what was changed/updated, and compiled quite a list of things that might warrant attention. Lots and lots of spelling mistakes/grammar corrections too - pity you can't just send me the entire script or something there as I certainly have the time to go through it now, being permanently off sick from work with ME.

By far the biggest game breaker so far though, in my opinion, is the Reaver sword, which in the hands of anyone (I used Mystia to soften the -50% HP penalty somewhat) makes almost all the boss fights a cakewalk. Worse, it lets you kill Liquid Metal Slimes in a single hit, allowing you to massively overlevel in a very short time. It even fails to trigger Legion's counter, meaning Mystia & Kogasa can totally do it in within only a couple of turns. :o

The description mentions the massive crit damage, which is fine, but surely you didn't intend the sword to actually do that 100% of the time!? If so, it makes upgrading it to the Prism sword entirely pointless since that does far less damage and only criticals once in a blue moon (although it does admittedly give quite a boost to your MAT stat).

It's your game of course, but I would personally either lower the crit damage, say around 499 a hit instead, or simply have it critical way less often, say 25% of the time. Seriously, a hasted Mystia with that sword = a pretty much guaranteed 4998 damage a turn, which is quite frankly ridiculous. ::)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:47:57 PM by SasaMisa »

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #503 on: April 29, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »
Honestly didn't expect a necro of this thread.

Sorry for the delay. Honestly I don't really know about the status of this game at this point. Between college, work, and other projects, I don't really have time to work on this much. Truth be told, at this point I'm certain that if I released an update with how long it's been since the last one, I'm pretty sure whatever small fanbase this game has left will be broken up due to the next version not meeting their expectations...  :ohdear: Looking back, it was probably a bad game to begin with.

That being said, I'm not ready to end the project just yet, considering how far it's come along. But like I've mentioned before my life is busier now than it was when I first started work on this. If I get an opening to work on T9MQ some more, then I'll try to keep working on it, but progress will probably be rather slow.

Sorry for being nothing but a giant disappointment to you all.

« Reply #504 on: April 29, 2018, 04:26:23 PM »
Yay, you replied at last, thanks for that. :)

No problem with the delay as I know exactly how it is. I used to have my own H-manga/doujinshi site quite a while back before the UK went all ridiculous about the age of fictional characters, and it suffered like anything when my health began to fail. The amount of work involved just keeping up with it all got the better of me in the end and I had to give it up for the sake of my sanity.

T9MQ is definitely not a bad game at all, and as for being a disappointment, no way! Even with all its little problems, you've managed to create a Touhou game easily as entertaining and as much fun as anything else I've played. Choosing to revolve the story around the lesser characters was a stroke of genius as well since I think everyone has become way too acquainted with playing either Reimu or Marisa et al. Hell, even my mate Chris likes it and he's not even a Final Fantasy fan, being one of few people who has never played even a single title in the series.

Anyway, as I said, I can certainly help out with the stuff that you probably don't need to waste time on yourself, such as the spelling/grammar corrections. I think I'm definitely the right sort of person to playtest it for you as well... seriously, you're looking at someone who speedran Wandering Souls in under 6 hours recently, and I spent 2 months playing Hack & Slash last year, completing it on every difficulty level with all four girls.

Time is the one thing I have in abundance. :D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:26:33 PM by SasaMisa »

« Reply #505 on: May 02, 2018, 10:18:02 PM »
I might as well keep you apprised of my progress - I mean, I need to get my post count up to 10 at any rate, so I can pick an avatar. I'm moving through Chapter 5 right now, having just carried Nitori's 'Invincible Killing Machine' for 18 turns (is it actually even defeatable I wonder!?).

Man, that Chapter 4 though... easily the best part of the game so far for me. Sure, it's tough, especially at first with the two different teams (Legion is murder in all forms to the unprepared), but the way all the elemental sections are designed; the way they complement each other is fantastic. It is indeed good game design as Your Everyday NEET so rightly said. BV

I've also gone through this entire thread now as well, including all the attachments, videos, etc. - most entertaining! I can't be alone in wanting to see what you do with the next update, particularly given all the contributions everyone has made (those sprites GenoCraft has made are fabulous). Unless you say otherwise, I'll start listing everything I've observed chapter by chapter in my next post.

One quick question before that though: how do you get the EX form of the Angelic Mirror? I know it's got something to do with that unlit torch on the floor below, but I can't for the life of me work out what to do with it. ???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:23:17 PM by SasaMisa »

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #506 on: May 02, 2018, 10:27:56 PM »
One quick question before that though: how do you get the EX form of the Angelic Mirror? I know it's got something to do with that unlit torch on the floor below, but I can't for the life of me work out what to do with it. ???
There is an alternate password for the tower of reflection that I would expect only people who know where the normal password originates from would attempt. I don't have the game's files in front of me right now, but iirc the alternate password will cause the challenge torch to be lit upon entering the tower.

« Reply #507 on: May 02, 2018, 11:56:18 PM »
Hah, what irony!! I actually read that exact password you're referring to in one of Searinox's replies earlier tonight... or rather misread it. Yeah, I thought he was merely stating another alternative password to open the tower, not one that triggers the EX boss. I guess that's what I get for not being much of a NES fan back in the day (like a lot of people in the UK, I had a Commodore 64 instead).

For sure, the only reason I knew the directions for the Forest of Illusion is because my brother is a huge Gradius fan (he'd definitely get a kick out of your Chapter 4 boss rush I can tell you) and I recognised the order after the first few moves (there's a very similar puzzle in Valkyrie no Bouken on the PSX).

Thanks again anyway, I'll give it a try first thing tomorrow and see if I can win first time with my current party. :yukkuri:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:28:08 PM by SasaMisa »

« Reply #508 on: May 04, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »
Christ, that mirror doesn't half take a mashing before it goes down, made worse by the fact that magic is practically useless against it, save for Moonlit Ray (small note: shouldn't that be Moonlight Ray?). Even Wriggle with her 6 attacks a turn was hardly denting it, and nor was Mystia with her doubled-up Mooned Insect. Not sure how you would beat it on your first trip through Makai since those light attacks are lethal, especially to Rumia (the White Shield would certainly help and it's not too far away from the tower luckily). I can't do anything now with the item it leaves behind either since Nitori has moved to Suika's cave and only offers the challenge to fight her latest creation.

Beat Zuh and his cohorts easily enough though, except I'm not sure exactly where to take Excalipoor (1 damage!? It certainly lives up to the 'poor' part of its name) in the Abyss. Surely it can't be that ominous looking portal that Mima opened as a booby trap!? Heh, and having Mima still there was a nice touch, but I don't think Tenshi & Kogasa should really be running around on the previous screen. :D

ETA: Hang on, I seem to recall there's an altar in the wind area that seemed to serve no purpose - I bet that's where you take the sword, right?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:43:31 PM by SasaMisa »

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #509 on: May 04, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »
You had to have broken a trigger somewhere if tenshi and kogasa are still chasing each other. That should not be happening under normal circumstances.

Were you playing the most recent version the whole time or we're you using save files from old versions?  old files are the easiest way to break some minor event triggers.