Author Topic: Final Fantasy General Thread  (Read 14600 times)

Final Fantasy General Thread
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:20:28 AM »
Otherwise known as the what Zakeri has been wasting his life away with game series.

Those of you playing Mafia know I've been playing Dissidia up until a day ago, and I'm proud to announce that I got Terra up to Level 100. Oh, and I quit, because I seriously should be waiting to buy the English version when it comes out.

As for what I've been doing since I quit temporarily quit Dissidia ...

Yes, I've been doing a Final Fantasy I, Level 11 Class change. Zakeri died during the Atmos fight, but it turned out nicely since it didn't bolster anyone else up a level and it kept him at level 10. I'm rather proud.

Oh, and no complaining if you don't like I job I choose for you, because I'm not changing it now.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Re: Final Fantasy General Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 08:05:30 PM »
I've been highly, highly addicted to FFTA2 lately. I can't decide whether I like it or the first game better right now though. While A2 is much more refined in graphics and design and has more classes and things to enjoy, I much prefer the game mechanics of the first.

I miss the accuracy/avoid formula that actually did something.
I miss the old shop system where I had decent weapons for my level.
I miss Hunters, Snipers, and Gunners with Concentrate.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:06:29 AM »
I've been highly, highly addicted to FFTA2 lately. I can't decide whether I like it or the first game better right now though. While A2 is much more refined in graphics and design and has more classes and things to enjoy, I much prefer the game mechanics of the first.

I miss the accuracy/avoid formula that actually did something.
I miss the old shop system where I had decent weapons for my level.
I miss Hunters, Snipers, and Gunners with Concentrate.

...I think the fact the law system of the first game was such BULLSHIT and was totally idiotic that it would outweigh those good points...

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »
FF1, best Final Fantasy ever.  Now if only they made the GBA version harder so that I didn't skip so marrily along in the game.  Heart of Chaos dungeons, so kickass though.

I tend to prefer Fighter, Fighter, Red Mage, Red Mage.  Past that though, I've also done solo everyone runs in the original except for Black Mage and White Mage, which it turns out I'm not leet enough to pull off.  Oh well.

FFTA, fun game, but oh so painfully easy to break.  Though my favorite character was a human paladin/fighter with dual wielding that killed just about any boss in a single blow.  Epic.

Other than FFT, FFTA, and FF1, can't say I enjoy the Final Fantasy series too much.  FF6 I enjoyed for the first half, but then the second half just seemed to be stringed together parts that felt... rushed?  Unconnected?  I don't know, FF6 just got old after the world hit armageddon.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:14:06 PM »
I tend to prefer Fighter, Fighter, Red Mage, Red Mage.

Oh god even in the original game? Grinding for four Silver Swords... D:

Anyway I roll Fighter/Monk/Red Mage/White Mage, at least in the original version of the game. Fighter and White Mage are non-optional IMO. The only thing Blacks have over Reds is instakills (useless), more MP, and NUKE, and I'd rather have the early-game punch. Monk saves money and doesn't need to use the limited endgame equips, and he gets very meaty attack from midgame forward.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »
Eh, I'm more classic in builds issues. Thus, my team is Fighter/Black/White/Thief.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:51:58 AM »
Black Mage in the second slot, are you insane?

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:56:15 AM »
Eh, I'm more classic in builds issues. Thus, my team is Fighter/Black/White/Thief.

Hells yeah.  No point messing with the classics, right?  If it's not broken, don't fix it and all~

Although I did once play that all Red Mages party... That was kinda fun...

Also, I'd just like to say that Sephiroth is a horribly generic villain and I hate him.  Kefka and Kuja are far better, for various reasons~

Spoiler:
Kuja is a delicious trap, oh yes~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 03:12:41 AM »
Black Mage in the second slot, are you insane?
That's how I roll, man.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 04:30:01 AM »
FF1, best Final Fantasy ever.  Now if only they made the GBA version harder so that I didn't skip so marrily along in the game.

I agree completely. FF1 had difficulty, the GBA version on the other hand, was a joke. It SEEMED relatively equal very early game, but later on it went downhill. It's almost like you get much more stats as you level up or something, I dunno. It's so bad that even if you never intentionally level up a single time in the game, and you run away from many fights, you'll STILL end up overlevel at the end. Doh.

Anyway I roll Fighter/Monk/Red Mage/White Mage, at least in the original version of the game. Fighter and White Mage are non-optional IMO. The only thing Blacks have over Reds is instakills (useless), more MP, and NUKE, and I'd rather have the early-game punch. Monk saves money and doesn't need to use the limited endgame equips, and he gets very meaty attack from midgame forward.

I prefered fighter/monk/blackmage/white mage myself. Very unoriginal I know, I do like the extra MP personally. There's just something nice about having a caster who can dish out extreme damage at whim. Most other final fantasies leave casters in the dust compared to geared out fighter-classes (just like the GBA remake I might add).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:36:22 AM by Ghaleon »

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »
FFXII is the best Final Fantasy. Fact.

I overwrote some of my save data by accident the other day though. I was gonna go beat Yiazmat too.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »
Mmm I thought FFXII was the worst one in the series for various reasons.
My Favorite is still X.
X-2 doesn't exist.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 08:16:05 PM »
I'm the only person in the Universe who likes X-2 for anything other than the copious amounts of fanservice!  Yay~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »
I've always liked FFIX. I always felt in VI, VII, VIII, and X, every character ended up the same with enough time and grinding. : S

Drake

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 09:04:21 PM »
FFVI for the motherfucking win.

Also this

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
FF1, best Final Fantasy ever.  Now if only they made the GBA version harder so that I didn't skip so marrily along in the game.  Heart of Chaos dungeons, so kickass though.

FF1 NES was also horrendously bugged.

STUN worked 100% early-game because you typically had less than 300 HP at the time, for instance.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 06:53:35 PM »
Where be all the FFIV fans?  My first and favorite game <3

As for the close second, I'd probably enjoy FFIII more if they didn't RANDOMLY CRANK THE DIFFICULTY TO ELEVEN in the final dungeon.

YEAH DS REMAKE I'M LOOKING AT YOU
I THINK YOU MADE IT EVEN HARDER THAN THE NES VERSION
DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE BUT THEN BAM!

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 07:46:01 PM »
My bro totally gave up on the DS versions.
Maybe I should take them for myself to play.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »
I haven't gotten around to the DS FFIV, playing it on SNES, then the hardtype rom, then the PSX remake was enough for me. 

FFIII yeah I can see why your brother gave up.  It is definitely not easy unless you really know what you're doing to abuse the job system and EVEN THEN NO SAVE POINTS IN THE FINAL CASTLE DUNGEON THING  >:(

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »
As for the close second, I'd probably enjoy FFIII more if they didn't RANDOMLY CRANK THE DIFFICULTY TO ELEVEN in the final dungeon.

Yeah, damn that's just ridiculous.
And if you die even once on the many bosses there, last save place was 2 dungeons back.
fun

And FFIV is definitely better in 2D, though it happens to be one of my least favorites.

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 10:24:21 PM »
My bro is playing dissidia on his new psp. That kids got more games systems.
Xbox, 360, Ps2, DS & advanced, PSP, Wii.

All I have is a Ps2 and a working computer. He broke his computer again.

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 10:44:07 PM »
Final Fantasy Games I need to Beat: VII, VIII, IX, The one I just posted a picture of in the first post, IV The After Years
Final Fantasy Games I need to start over again: VI, VIII (don't ask why this made both lists), X, Original NES version of I, some copy of III
Final Fantasy Games I'm playing now: Dissidia.

Oh god...

Bananamatic

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 04:08:12 PM »
Are the GBA remakes so hard to find everywhere?

I could only find V, others either almost don't exist or are overpriced.....found only one IV and it costed 3x as much as the DS version.

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »
Are the GBA remakes so hard to find everywhere?

I could only find V, others either almost don't exist or are overpriced.....found only one IV and it costed 3x as much as the DS version.
They were hard to find ~2 years ago, I doubt they are any easier to find now :V

But V's all you need anyway.

Matsuri

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 02:39:06 AM »

Hell yes, FFIV is the best.

I'm getting all starry-eyed here because I haven't seen more than a passing mention of the piece of garbage that is FFVII. I'm thrilled to see that.

Irrelevant: I've been a member at the largest Final Fantasy community on the internet for over 4 years now, and I'm a staff member there now. Annoyingly enough, my username there (and pretty much everywhere else) is 'Momiji', which is taken here. Whenever I see a Momiji post here, I keep thinking it's me.  :-X
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:58:45 AM by Matsuri »

Matsuri

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 03:56:32 AM »
*disregard that, accidental doublepost, sorry, please delete*
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:58:26 AM by Matsuri »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 04:22:46 AM »
FFIX is and always will be my favorite FF. It's just way too good.

- Great story.
- Character development is great, everyone has a reason to be there. (Except maybe Quina, but we love it anyways)
- No one person can become overpowered because everyone has their own job and purposes. (I'm looking at you Materia and Junction systems)
- The main hero actually has a personality and isn't a flaming emo the entire time. (Lookin' at you Cloud & Squall)
- Daggers and Thief Swords are cool.

Matsuri

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 04:29:15 AM »
FFIX is and always will be my favorite FF. It's just way too good.

- Great story.
- Character development is great, everyone has a reason to be there. (Except maybe Quina, but we love it anyways)
- No one person can become overpowered because everyone has their own job and purposes. (I'm looking at you Materia and Junction systems)
- The main hero actually has a personality and isn't a flaming emo the entire time. (Lookin' at you Cloud & Squall)
- Daggers and Thief Swords are cool.

FFIX is definitely my favorite post-SNES Final Fantasy game, and it had some of the best of everything in it-- best villain, wonderful music, actual job classes, characters that don't suck, etc.  ;)

Truth be told, I can't stand any Final Fantasy past VI with the exceptions of Tactics, IX, and occasionally X.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2009, 04:31:13 AM »
FFIX is my favorite FF after FFVI.

Spoiler:
Zidane has an emo phase for about 10 minutes of gameplay, during which we are also treated to You're Not Alone, one of the greatest pieces of music to come out of Final Fantasy.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 08:08:02 AM »

Hell yes, FFIV is the best.

I'm getting all starry-eyed here because I haven't seen more than a passing mention of the piece of garbage that is FFVII. I'm thrilled to see that.

Irrelevant: I've been a member at the largest Final Fantasy community on the internet for over 4 years now, and I'm a staff member there now. Annoyingly enough, my username there (and pretty much everywhere else) is 'Momiji', which is taken here. Whenever I see a Momiji post here, I keep thinking it's me.  :-X

ff4 is my fave too. and zomg I absolutely hated 7 too.. I mean it's not a bad game. but Final fantasy was a name worthy of worship...until 7. Then it  was..well, meh.

But anyway, on my US ff2 snes cart, I played that game so much, beat it like 6 times, and on my "Best" file I got the dragon whip for rydia (bear in mind gamefaqs didn't exist back then, and I never saw no strat guide, so yeah). As well as an Artemis BOW. Me so leet. To this date, I cannot get an Artemis bow again.