Author Topic: Your primary character/shot type in each game?  (Read 18688 times)

Re: Your primary character/shot type in each game?
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2014, 04:36:09 AM »
It greatly depends on your way of play, holding down the shot key.

I personally don't see it very important and only shoot when It's necessary in order to defeat an enemy, I feel that's a lot more relaxing. I'll admit that I'm biased from playing for points a lot, so I'm very used to just letting go of shot in order to control the enemy patterns, since that's how I've always done it.

Although I will say that it's a lot more comfy to not press to something constantly. Tap shift or wiggle around if bored.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2014, 12:40:18 AM »
EoSD

Primary: ReimuA (Played with her the most; really gets through Stage 4 tumbleweed)
Secondary: ?

P. S. Screw EoSD!

PCB

Primary: SakuyaA (4 bombs, semi-homing shot)
Secondary: None! She works really well for survival!

IN

Primary: Border
Secondary: Netherworld (you know, focused wide-spread shots)

MoF

Primary: MarisaB (you know this)
Secondary: ReimuA

UFO

Primary: SanaeB
Secondary: SanaeA

TD

Primary: Reimu
Secondary: Sanae

DDC

Primary: SakuyaA
Secondary: ReimuB

Also, it takes too much coordination for me to control the shot key. I tend to always hold it down, even when it's not necessary.

Edit: fangames/other series now

RSS

MarisaC, if I'm not mistaken

Evanescent Existence

The only character unlocked. This thing is crap hard.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:00:45 AM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2014, 01:15:09 AM »
Reimu A all the way!

Kappa

• LV. 4 Guze Cannon
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2014, 07:54:42 AM »
PCB:
ReimuA

IN:
Border Team

Eh f#ck it

BASICALLY ALL THE GAMES:
Homing Reimu

EXCEPTIONS:
SA's homing Reimu blows ass, so Needles for that (assuming I ever play SA).
I still prefer Reimu in TD, but I do like using Youmu from time to time.

Ph33r my inferior skills and resultant need to use a homing shot type.
Scrub-Tier Lower Echelon represent.
Modern Touhou Accomplishments || TD Normal 1CC | DDC Normal 1CC (poorly) | DDC Extra Clear

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2014, 02:09:57 AM »
PCB:
ReimuA

IN:
Border Team

Eh f#ck it

BASICALLY ALL THE GAMES:
Homing Reimu

EXCEPTIONS:
SA's homing Reimu blows ass, so Needles for that (assuming I ever play SA).
I still prefer Reimu in TD, but I do like using Youmu from time to time.

Ph33r my inferior skills and resultant need to use a homing shot type.
Scrub-Tier Lower Echelon represent.

Yeah, I sometimes tend to prefer homing Reimu for games I can't beat on Normal (IN doesn't count since I used 5 lives to clear it), but I always prefer other characters for PCB or TD, which I 1CCed on Normal defaults.

Amazingly, though, I can exploit MoF MarisaB to no end and still not 1CC the game on Normal.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]

Kappa

• LV. 4 Guze Cannon
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2014, 03:42:06 AM »
MoF MarisaB

That is not a shot type
That is an interactive experience
Modern Touhou Accomplishments || TD Normal 1CC | DDC Normal 1CC (poorly) | DDC Extra Clear

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2014, 12:58:36 AM »
That is not a shot type
That is an interactive experience

Could you please explain?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Kappa

• LV. 4 Guze Cannon
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2014, 01:24:54 AM »
Could you please explain?
When playing as MoF MarisaB, being unfocused between 3.00 and 3.95 Power is like transcending into an alternate reality where Touhou games play themselves, and all foes are made entirely of tissue paper; like a neverending Trance state.
It is the true way of being, and yet it is not a way of being at all.
It is infinite might, and yet no might whatsoever.
It is, and yet it isn't.

Congratulations, you have achieved enlightenment.

EDIT: And on a serious note, keep practicing - master the first few stages to get lots of resources, reach the final Spellcard with enough resources on-hand, and you can 1CC for sure.  Then try it with ReimuA!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:26:46 AM by Kappa »

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2014, 03:41:54 AM »
When playing as MoF MarisaB, being unfocused between 3.00 and 3.95 Power is like transcending into an alternate reality where Touhou games play themselves, and all foes are made entirely of tissue paper; like a neverending Trance state.
It is the true way of being, and yet it is not a way of being at all.
It is infinite might, and yet no might whatsoever.
It is, and yet it isn't.

Congratulations, you have achieved enlightenment.

EDIT: And on a serious note, keep practicing - master the first few stages to get lots of resources, reach the final Spellcard with enough resources on-hand, and you can 1CC for sure.  Then try it with ReimuA!

I was asking about the "interactive experience" part. And on a side note, does anyone know why that bug happens?
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2014, 03:58:13 AM »
I was asking about the "interactive experience" part. And on a side note, does anyone know why that bug happens?
I think it's because ZUN misplaced a decimal point or something, causing Marisa B's unfocused 3-power middle laser to become 10x as powerful.

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2014, 04:59:47 AM »
(4)bug for Marisa B:When unfocused,the right-handed main shot will do about 500 dps at L3. Vsyncpatch can correct the bug,but the replay can only be played for corrected players.

according to this, it's actually the main shot (the magic bolts). The right-hand stream hits for around 8x its normal damage

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Miki Revolverhead

• Bara queen
  • Warning! Big assed zombie
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2014, 06:31:17 PM »
EoSD: Marisa B with her good 'ol Master Spark, though when I started playing I'd go for Marisa A.
PCB: Sakuya A. Her homing shot is really comfortable. My secondary would be Reimu B (needles)
IN: Scarlet team all the way because of Remilia's placeable familiars, very useful.
PoFV: I don't really play PoFV much, not my favourite and could never get used to the gameplay, but I would usually go for Reisen or Sakuya (because they were my favourite characters at the time) and ocassionally Yuuka.
MoF:  I go for Marisa C (Cold Inferno, Front&Lock, like Remilia in IN). To clear the Extra I went with ReimuA.
SA: ReimuA (Yukari) and MarisaC (Nitori) are the only characters that I've managed to 1cc the game with. ReimuA because it's the only reasonable shot type for the  game, and MarisaC because I managed to make a wise use of Nitori's bomb.
UFO: SanaeB because of the bomb, it gives you a very long invincibility period. SanaeA is also okay.
TD: Marisa or Youmu if I want a challenge.
DDC: SakuyaA because I'm a sucker for Sakuya, or MarisaB because of the bomb. These characters are very broken anyway and I feel like a noob for preferring them.

Choco Beam

• おやすみしな
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2014, 09:48:43 AM »
EoSD
-Master spark

PCB
-SakuyaB(est)

IN
-Alice "I actually have to move during the stage portion" umm uh Youmu

MoF
-ReimuC

I don't know any other Touhou game besides those four.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »
EoSD: MarisaA (High damage.)
PCB: SakuyaA (Interesting homing, easy to use albeit hard to dodge)
IN: Reimu and Yukari :V
PoFV: Yuuka (Nice spread shot, moving unfocused is fast enough and precise)
MoF: ReimuA, MarisaA is secondary (ReimuA is easy to use, MarisaA has an interesting gimmick)
SA: ReimuA, MarisaC is secondary (ReimuA for dmg, MarisaC because of the bomb)
UFO: SanaeB, MarisaB is secondary (SanaeB and the toads of death, MarisaB cuz high range)
TD: Reimu, Sanae is secondary (High range, decent damage)
DDC: ReimuB (Easy to use)
If you count fighting games (though I'm not good at them)
IaMP (none), SWR (Marisa), HM (Reimu or Byaruken)

Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

ISC143

• Kouischey
  • Caved Johnson
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2014, 02:03:08 AM »
EoSD ReimuB

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2014, 03:27:05 AM »
How have I missed this thread.

PC-98:
The only ones I ever open start at
PoD.D: Rikako. She is just immense fun.
LLS: Marisa.
MS: Yuuka. I'm not even that crazy about her as a character, but I do really well with her in this game.

Windows:
Don't play the fighting games but:
EoSD: Marisa A. It's pretty much the only way I can survive Patchy.
PCB: Again, Marisa A. As neat as Sakuya's daggers are, she just doesn't hit as hard.
IN: Magic Team for me, because I find fighting Reimu to be great fun. When I'm up for it, Ghost Team. Youmu's phantom shot sprayer can be really useful, especially in focus (kind of the same principle as Reimu C in SA, I reckon), provided you have the patience to learn how to use it.
PoFV: Reisen. I have no idea how the bunny does it, but when this game doesn't freeze up on me between stages, she gets me farthest of any of them.
MoF: Reimu B because hey, VoWG = forward focus. Alternately, Marisa C's freezing cloud is like Remilia's shot type in IN, only stronger (it seems?).
SA: Reimu B. Yes her main shot is weak, but I think the cost/benefit analysis for me is such that I get much further with that autocollect to boost resources in preparation for Orin, and have enough for Utsuho.
UFO: Marisa B when I'm being serious, because it's
Spoiler:
still ;-;
a goal of mine to see the "canon ending", and Sanae B when I'm just having fun. That spray of frogs and bomb that just keeps going and going.
TD: I honestly never open this game, but I did enjoy Youmu's sword slashing the hell out of resources.
DDC: Currently Marisa A, which will be followed by unbewitched Marisa. Because she's the only character I haven't yet cleared the game with, prosaicly enough.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2014, 03:57:19 AM »
DDC: Currently Marisa A, which will be followed by unbewitched Marisa. Because she's the only character I haven't yet cleared the game with, prosaicly enough.

And MarisaB, when timing the bomb right, gives you tons of resources, especially in the Extra stage.

Updated Shot List
  • PoDD: Reimu/Marisa
  • LLS: Homing Reimu
  • MS: Reimu/Mima
  • EoSD: ReimuA/B
  • PCB: Sakuya A/Reimu A
  • IN: Border Team
  • PoFV: Marisa
  • MoF: ReimuA
  • SA: ReimuA/B
  • UFO: Homing Reimu/SanaeB
  • TD: Reimu/Sanae
  • DDC: ReimuA/B, MarisaA/B, Sakuya A. They're all so good!
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »
Alternately, Marisa C's freezing cloud is like Remilia's shot type in IN, only stronger (it seems?).
It is.  MoF shot type power goes MarisaC > ReimuB > MarisA = MarisaB > ReimuC > ReimuA if memory serves, and it's not difficult to manipulate three ice shots on Kanako for VoWG.

I pretty much always go for shot types with fast movement and weird shots.  I usually find out soon enough that all of these shot types are terrible.

SoEW - ReimuC
EoSD - MarisaB
PCB - I'd like to use MarisA, but instead I use whoever I feel like using at the time - the shot types are pretty well-done in this game.
IN - Scarlet Team
PoFV - Sikieiki or Cirno, because the game is much more fun when you don't let go of the "fire" key.
MoF - MarisaC
SA - There is only one shot type in this game, and it is sadly not Marisa+Alice.
UFO - Between SanaeB and ReimuA, I pick Sanae.
TD - Depends on my mood, but it won't be Sanae.
DDC - I freely admit I didn't play this long enough to bother with more than SakuyA.  I don't remember having a preference other than finding ReimuB boring.

---

Phantasmagoria Trues - ReimuB, and if you're not using a default shot type you're cheating.~
Evanescent Existence - Yabusame
Reactivate majestical imperial - Kuroji Team
Mystical Power Plant - There is only one shot type in this game, and it sadly does not involve Buddhist Buzzsaws.
Riverbed Soul Saver - MarisaB
White Names Spoiled Past - I would use ReimuB if it helped me get all the content, but it doesn't, so I use SanAe.