Author Topic: How did YOU became a Touhou fan?  (Read 7778 times)

AbdulGalaxia

• space binch
How did YOU became a Touhou fan?
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
Hello everyone!How did YOU became a touhou fan? ???
I became a touhou fan when i was just checking one of the videos about Touhou Hisoutensoku(12.3) Which made me download the game, played the trial, and downloaded the full game, then i became addicted. i searched for other titles. like Touhou 6 or 7 or 7.5 etc. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:58:27 PM by ReimuHakurei2 »

Re: How did YOU became a touhou fan?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:54:07 PM »
I played the demos for EOSD, PCB and IN back when they were the most recent games. Then one day I accidentally stumbled into pooshlmer and read a bunch of doujins (that was back before they split off from voile).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:42:38 PM by Clarste »

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
Re: How did YOU became a Touhou fan?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »
Bad apple came up as a reccomended video because I watch so many vocaloid things. I watched the video and did my research. I believe that's how it happened but there are 2 other possibilities though. 1 was through know your meme after finding Yukkuri Shiteite ne. The other was through Chibi Miku San on danbooru and the links that the comments lead me to.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

98digger

• The Master of 9801
  • What? Windows? What's that?
    • The 98th Dimension
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 12:14:55 AM »
Don't we already have a thread for this?

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,14101.0.html

But, anyways, I guess I'll share how I got into Touhou  :D

I've been a retro gamer for a while, and have always been interested in any obscure or little-known games. One day I was blasting game music out of my kickass 4 speaker custom stereo with YouTube, and I just so happened to stumble upon U.N. Owen in "related videos". I believe the first thing I did after that was to start looking up "Touhou anime", and soon after I found it on Wikipedia, figured out everything, and here I am now.

Actually, there was a period of time where I completely lost interest in Touhou (HOW? :o), and it was my discovery of the PC-9800 and the first five games that brought me back. :D

^Notice: I'm bad at writing replies :)    Also: Check out my personal site here: https://themasterof9801.neocities.org/

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 01:23:26 AM »
I saw videos of IN's extra stage on Youtube (y'know, that one video probably everyone saw at first), and my predilection for getting into obscure cult fandoms reared its ugly head. Eventually I started playing the games and registered for an account here.

Don't we already have a thread for this?

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,14101.0.html

Locked; just keep the new line of Touhou origin posts to this thread.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:47:29 AM »
There was one time I had gone to Comic Market and looked upon the entirety of the Touhou in disdain! I barely knew what it was back then. Moreover it's an ironic situation whenever I attend the event now..
That said, in a vague memory approximately 4-5 years ago, I started playing the pc-98 and windows games (EOSD PCB IN etc.) with the intention to finish them in chronological order, and from there the interest and knowledge(fanaticism) built up like a successful hedge fund. I owe it to the plethora of characters that were plunging into my face as I played through.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 03:03:39 AM »
I learned about Touhou back in 2009, when I saw McRoll'd for the first time. I listened to the background music behind the RANs and RUUs and was like, "Hey, that sounds pretty cool..." After that, I found "U.N. Owen was Her?". I didn't get the Touhou games until 2012 though.

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 03:36:49 AM »
About 5-6 years ago, an old friend from another forum I used to frequent linked me to Walfas. I loved its art style of its characters, and after a few days of following the blog and playing with its character creator, I found that these characters were from this videogame called "Touhou Project."
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 03:47:59 PM »
I started to get interested after stumbling upon this little gem in YouTube one day (these days, I can't listen to it longer than 30 seconds, though) and began happening upon other videos featuring the same general tune.  I did a little bit of research into the origin of the song, and came to, of course, this.  After reading some YouTube comments about how unstoppable and batshit crazy Flan was, I vowed to defeat her.  That was like four or five years ago.  Still no success =.=
frickin' Pewter Gym all over again

After countless failed runs in EoSD, I began to look at other titles.  First was MoF, then IaMP.  With these, my knowledge of the Touhou franchise - and in proportion, my love for the series - grew and grew.  Biggest (and only) Touhou fan I've met in person to this very day.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 04:53:18 PM »
Well, to elaborate on what I mentioned earlier somewhere, I was involved in a certain Castlevania fangame which guest starred at the time only Reimu in her Koumajou Densetsu incarnation alongside Remilia as a sort-of bonus boss, and I got curious about the game in which they came from. From there I discovered Flandre and decided to look up more of her. Things led to other things, and here we are.
Of course, I may have misremembered some events, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFj3iwNV5w1wFxNBYjQPsig
This youtuber likes Reisan and cuts to images of her during videos as a means to add a comment in about the content in the video. In the video description he states that the character in the images was a touhou project character. I did some research and obviously liked what I saw.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 03:19:19 AM »
Long ago, the LP Archive had an Imperishable Night LP put up on it.  I saw it in the "Featured LP" box one day, giggled at how the game was described, then clicked in for a look.  But at that time I didn't want to watch Video LPs (don't even know myself why since they didn't take up any more or less time than a Screenshot one), so I ended up leaving.

A few years after, a friend of mine got into Touhou and was going on and on about it, with Imperishable Night being one she kept talking about (since she loved Mokou a lot).  I was listening with interest and debated checking it out...when the IN LP again was in the Featured box several days later.  So I checked it out and then went on a search for the Wiki (as the link in the OP was an old and dead one).  It just snowballed from there.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 03:42:36 AM »
Aimlessly wandering onto the internet has led me to discover wonderful gems. First it started with Touhou, and then so many blessings unfolded from there.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 07:05:20 AM »
I, like many other many other Touhou fans, stumbled on the McRoll video. I really didn't get into the fandom until I dug deeper and begun listening to the music -- oh lord the music. The ratio of Touhou to non-Touhou songs I have is staggeringly one-sided.

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
About 4 years ago, I heard people talking about the Touhou games and how insanely hard they were. Eventually I decided to check the series out, and I've been in love with Touhou ever since.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 09:23:42 AM »
I was looking for new Nuzlocke runs to read and i stumbled upon Leo Modesto's Touhoumon run..... absolutely loved it!

Since the entire run was filled with Touhou chars and the awesome flash videos made by Leo had Touhou remixes as bgm i got curious.....
and here i am now. :P

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »
I used to play a lot of osu! and stumbled across quite a bit of music (be it ripped from games or various IOSYS/SOUNDHOLIC etc tracks) and I came to enjoy listening to them. I finally picked up a copy of Imperishable Night around this time last year and really loved it but couldn't even clear easy mode. I can now comfortably 1cc Easy and am working on Normal Mode (consistantly clearing FinalA, but FinalB...).

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 12:50:54 AM »
I do enjoy these threads.

Early 2007. on Desuchan, see Marisa Stole the Precious Thing re-characterization of Suigintou and Shinku for Alice and Marisa, look into this IOSYS band, see all their credits to this ZUN person. For whatever reason it took me until 2008 to play the trial of MoF, and was at once fascinated and confused. Fell into a Touhou wikihole, which led me to Poosh, and then here shortly thereafter. By then, my love of the Gensokyo narrative has grown, and the games continue to surprise me. It is vital, varied, and continuously enjoyable to be a part of this fandom.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 03:42:35 AM »
The ratio of Touhou to non-Touhou songs I have is staggeringly one-sided.
Before Touhou, I only had about 200 songs on my iPod. Now I have over 800 songs of just Touhou musics, I decided to just remove non-Touhou music because, eh.

Yeah, the music is what got me into Touhou mainly. I remember seeing the Bad Apple! video before the McRoll video, but didn't really know what it was from until I took a bigger interest in the games. I looked up a few gameplay videos, Lunatic runs mainly, and decided to try it out. Haven't looked back since. My fanart folder grows by the day.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

Byronyello

• "The Western Non-Otaku That Respects and Likes Touhou"
  • I guess that'd be my title in a Touhou game...
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 04:23:05 AM »
I haven't the most spectacular memory, so the last I can really remember for sure is watching a play-through of Ten Desires on Youtube, back in 2012. I think I stumbled onto the video when I was looking for an (actually existing) bullet hell game, as it's a style of game I love but there never seemed to be any bullet hells I can remember being created on the PC platform. When I saw it I was simply stunned by the excellent visual design (there was something quite beautiful to look at in regards to the graphics of the game frame itself), and the fact it looked to be something both easy to get into, with the main difficulty being in the actual patterns themselves was something quite endearing to me.
(Strike-through indicates a clear)
Hard Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.
Lunatic Clears: Someday, perhaps.
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.

Thanbo

• Wow! I can have a "Custom Title" now!?
  • Take risks! No regrets...
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »
2 years ago, I played a flash game "Bullet Heaven" and lost my mind to the flashy bullet. Then I played "Gundemonium Collection" and it's "walkthroughs" and see someone mentioned "Touhou". And so I went to google,  got "some" games to play for a while. In the end, the whole Gensokyo captivates me.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:48:23 AM by Thanbo »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 05:20:22 PM »
This:
http://www.doublepuma.com/thmon/

Aka: Leomodesto's Touhoumon Nuzlocke Challenge. I got into Touhou from Pokemon: Hard Mode. Yes, that's strange.

I know I posted in the old thread but that one didn't have a link to the source.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »
This:
http://www.doublepuma.com/thmon/

Aka: Leomodesto's Touhoumon Nuzlocke Challenge. I got into Touhou from Pokemon: Hard Mode. Yes, that's strange.

I know I posted in the old thread but that one didn't have a link to the source.

It isn't strange, i did the exact same thing :D  That nuzlocke is so awesome i reread it even now..... along with Kitfox-crimson's ;)

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
I stumbled across IOSYS' music videos one day a few years back and was instantly hooked. I spent a long time as a secondary (due to the fact that I only have a Mac) but recently I've started playing the official games. If anything, it's driven the addiction even deeper.  :V

Neal Kawashiro

• The yokai of the 7th element
  • Drums, A smooth Rai~ko!(from youtube)
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 07:14:16 AM »
Practiced piano. Then deathwaltz. Then i saw in the comments: It's not deathwaltz it's un owen was her! So i searched it. Saw flandre, searched eosd, bedazzled. Then, first game i played was SWR, next was HM, then DDC.
Raiko!Raiko!Raiko Sama~!

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »
I stumbled across IOSYS' music videos one day a few years back and was instantly hooked. I spent a long time as a secondary (due to the fact that I only have a Mac) but recently I've started playing the official games. If anything, it's driven the addiction even deeper.  :V

Lol, me too.

Misfortune!

• I'M THE LIGHTBRINGER!
  • I'M THE FUCKING UNIVERSE!
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »
Saw a few images on Zerochan, and it looked interesting. So I searched it up, downloaded a few games (read: PoFV and the fighting games), and was hooked. Now I look at Touhou related content on Youtube and Danbooru whenever I can.
"Wha...wha...whazzat? Whazzat? You just wanna play a game that doesn't have six metrosexual Jonas Brothers in it? Well FUUUUUUUCK YOU! This is what you get, fuck you! Square Enix: Because fuck you guys!" -JonTron
"The lessons bronies shared with us about loyalty, friendship, fame, obsession, transcendental idealism, rectal prolapse, and erotic plush toy construction shall not be soon forgotten." -Alex Barry

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 03:30:33 AM »
Bad apple came up as a reccomended video because I watch so many vocaloid things. I watched the video and did my research. I believe that's how it happened but there are 2 other possibilities though. 1 was through know your meme after finding Yukkuri Shiteite ne. The other was through Chibi Miku San on danbooru and the links that the comments lead me to.

I got introduced to Touhou through Bad Apple too, but it was through searching some "Hardest songs on piano" thing on YouTube in July last year, and then coming to this variation done on Synthesia. This hooked me on, so I checked out Night of Nights and Necrofantasia (two similarly "hard" Touhou themes on piano) and went on to watch the colored version of Bad Apple. After having known some characters, I started looking for IN, having read that it was the easiest game for starters. Eventually ... well.  :)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
Now that I think about it I legit don't remember. It was pretty close to exactly two years ago at this point, but I don't remember why I first played it. I remember my first game was EoSD and I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing the first couple of times I played, but not why I looked into it. Must have seen a piece of fan art or a video or something that I liked, but I wish I remembered what it was.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 03:10:18 AM »
Some random dude linked me to Suwako's theme nearly two years ago and I decided to look up what this touhou thing was all about. So I downloaded EoSD and played it for a bit, but since I sucked so much I just skipped to PCB before clearing it. Same thing kept happening until I eventually finished PoFV. Pretty basic stuff.