Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 5: Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 220110 times)

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
Re: Miscellaneous Questions 5: Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #690 on: March 14, 2015, 04:24:10 AM »
I don't know why you asked especially for Shonen Jump Artists, but tosh is probably the closest one you'll get.
Because I want to see ones from authors whose series are ones that most people think of when they hear the words "manga and anime."

And who/what do you mean by Tosh?

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
« Reply #691 on: March 14, 2015, 06:54:19 AM »
Because I want to see ones from authors whose series are ones that most people think of when they hear the words "manga and anime."
Unfortunately, Eiichiro Oda is too busy to draw anything but One Piece.

...I'm not sure what "most people" think of when they hear the words manga & anime, but the extremely well-known artists don't seem to do a lot of fanart. If you're looking for something to show your friends, you might have to wait for them to succumb further to the otaku gravity. Alternatively, if you can make a list of artists who would qualify, you could try posting it here or searching for them yourself on Google or Danbooru (the latter of which, I'm obliged to mention, is an NSFW site).

That said, I'll add Yui Hara (Kin-Iro Mosaic) to the list of not-quite-so-famous artists that Suspicious person and monhan compiled.

And who/what do you mean by Tosh?
Tosh is a doujin artist who fans are pretty sure is the same person as Shun Saeki. As monhan said, Shun Saeki is the artist for Shokugeki no Soma, which Viz calls "Food Wars."

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #692 on: March 14, 2015, 07:15:58 AM »
Didn't realize that monhan mentioned Tosh...

Just want to see them for myself, that's all.

Still, thanks to all those who helped!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:17:50 AM by game2011 »

« Reply #693 on: March 16, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »
This are relatively obscure, but the author of Nekogami Yaoyorozu (random supernatural comedy thing, got an anime a few years back) used to do Touhou doujin. And I kinda wish they still did because Nekogami Yaoyorozu sucks. And of course Aki Eda went on to do something called Bonnouji (which is a warm and fuzzy romance manga). I doubt this helps you at all, but just more things on the list.

In general though, the pattern is for doujin artists to "go pro" and work on their own original IP in commercial magazines. Because, well, the kinds of people with those skillsets often want to be professional mangaka. However, after doing so they don't really have the spare time to devote to fanwork, since drawing manga is a pretty busy job. So in most cases it's less "professional mangaka also does Touhou stuff" and more "people who do Touhou stuff eventually move on and do other stuff while doing much less Touhou stuff than they did before."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:49:28 AM by Clarste »

Drake

« Reply #694 on: March 16, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »
the author of Nekogami Yaoyorozu (random supernatural comedy thing, got an anime a few years back) used to do Touhou doujin
wow I would have never guessed they did touhou stuff judging by the content of nekogami gasp shock

It's funny because FLIPFLOPs made Touhou comics that were pretty hugely popular. Then you look at Nekogami and it's like they took the formula they used for their Touhou comics, and applied it to a setting of a bunch of characters inspired by japanese gods/fictional entities living their day-to-day lives not doing much and sometimes fighting nondangerously, all the while using other various familiar tropes... and it still just ends up seeming boring somehow in comparison.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #695 on: March 16, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »
wow I would have never guessed they did touhou stuff judging by the content of nekogami gasp shock

It's funny because FLIPFLOPs made Touhou comics that were pretty hugely popular. Then you look at Nekogami and it's like they took the formula they used for their Touhou comics, and applied it to a setting of a bunch of characters inspired by japanese gods/fictional entities living their day-to-day lives not doing much and sometimes fighting nondangerously, all the while using other various familiar tropes... and it still just ends up seeming boring somehow in comparison.

The FlipFlops doujins I remember were mostly comedy but had a bit of drama sprinkled in to keep things interesting. I believe Nekogami lacked that spice so it seemed boring.

« Reply #696 on: March 16, 2015, 05:32:12 PM »
I guess this is no longer related to the question, but I'll chuck in a few more names of doujin turned pro artists, who published touhou doujinshi in the past.

Charin from circle Shako - Doing one of the manga adaptions for Idolmaster Million Live. His buddy Chihiro (circle Zazenbeat) is basically working as his assistant right now.

Chado (Tohonifun) - Did the artwork for the manga, Sekigan no Shounen (completed). Still publishing doujinshi (not limited to Touhou) at an alarming rate.

Chomoran (Dreamin' Chomoland) - Doing the manga adaption for Zerozaki Kishishiki no Ningen Knock right now. This guy is bloody good, buy his work.

Hikawa Shou (Saku Saku Tei) - Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni.

Haruno Tomoya (Harutomo) - D-Frag & Maou-sama Chotto Sore Totte. (Actually published a few one-shots on different comic magazines before he started doing Touhou)

Suichuu Hanabi (Fusuma Teahouse) - Strike Witches: The 501st Joint Fighter Wing.

Ugatsu Matsuki (Asatsuki Dou) - Danzai no Judith. Still releasing doujinshi (not limited to touhou) occationally.

Phantasmal

• I'm good at breaking the forum rules on accident..
« Reply #697 on: March 20, 2015, 02:12:39 AM »
What is the main theme of the Touhou series in general?!

Imo, The Gensokyo the Gods Loved fits nicely. What do you think?  :derp:

« Reply #698 on: March 20, 2015, 02:26:57 AM »
I think it's Theme of Eastern Story. That melody is in the title theme for every official Windows game.

Addendum: Though I'd have to say, The Gensokyo the Gods Loved would be the best theme for an intro scene/movie. It's just so peaceful and unfitting for being the stage theme it is.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:30:42 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

Phantasmal

• I'm good at breaking the forum rules on accident..

« Reply #700 on: March 20, 2015, 03:55:16 AM »
A very nice arrange of the Theme of Eastern Story. Highly recommended.
https://youtu.be/sAEeVJbCO8M

Honestly, this theme is THE Touhou song among them all.

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #701 on: March 20, 2015, 05:12:29 AM »
A very nice arrange of the Theme of Eastern Story. Highly recommended.
https://youtu.be/sAEeVJbCO8M

Honestly, this theme is THE Touhou song among them all.
My preferred choice:
https://youtu.be/geCeFOETNDk

« Reply #702 on: March 21, 2015, 07:53:10 AM »
If we are talking about theme song for Touhou, I would think A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry would be it.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #703 on: March 21, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »
Has there been any mention on how fast Aya can go in official works?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #704 on: March 22, 2015, 01:53:09 AM »
Has there been any mention on how fast Aya can go in official works?
No absolute numbers, but Reimu and Marisa mention that she's faster than Remilia in SSiB, and vampires are described by Akyuu to be able to cross the entire human village within the blink of an eye. Not to mention that Remilia went around the whole Lunarian moon in the span of a few panels in SSiB. So regardless of how big either of those places are, it still means Remilia is really fast, and if Aya is faster than her, then she's really damn fast.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:57:06 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #705 on: March 30, 2015, 07:27:18 AM »
Anyone know whose arrange is this song in the video...??? I know it's an arrange of Emotional Skyscrapper, but whose circle and what is the title...???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wL_nQ7ZpVY

I dont know if it's the right place to ask this (Kinda new here), and I appreciate if you can help me. Thanks

p.s: ignore the game, just listen to the music.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:06:53 AM by Helepolis »

« Reply #706 on: March 31, 2015, 08:35:30 PM »
I know that this is a bit late to be responding to this, but I wouldn't say that Gensokyo is a real nation; I think that it's a region. There is no real government or economy to speak of there, nor is there a common identity. The SDM or Chireiden don't really count as governments either, they seem to be more like fiefdoms.

Remiu would be the enforcing authority, if she's not feeling lazy that day.

Reimu's more like a sheriff than anybody that holds a political office.

Anyway, are Yousei (Fairies) a specific creature or spirit in Japanese mythology that is similar to fairies or does Yousei refer specifically to European fairies?

« Reply #707 on: April 04, 2015, 03:41:51 AM »
Yousei do not specifically refer to European fairies. They are spirits of nature and occupy any and all things. They are more like the popular fairies in video games.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #708 on: April 04, 2015, 03:19:52 PM »
Yousei do not specifically refer to European fairies. They are spirits of nature and occupy any and all things. They are more like the popular fairies in video games.
At least Wikipedia claims that in Japanese, yousei is almost only used as a translation of the European idea of spirits of nature, never for anything else.

The word originally refers to any youkai in China. I'd like to know how its meaning has changed in Japanese, too.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #709 on: April 06, 2015, 12:53:20 AM »
The European fairy I know of is from A Midsummer Night's Dream. They don't seem like the popular depiction of fairies of modern day.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #710 on: April 13, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Question spawned into my head based from small discussion at https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,17762.msg1176916.html#msg1176916

Mokou is covered with amulets on her clothing but also in her hair. If she is using those amulets to prevent her clothing to accidental catch fire (as Cuc pointed out) , then what is the point of them in her hair? Or she doing that to keep her hair in good shape?

More seriously: Who gave Mokou these amulets? Keine?

But if her outfit is to be protected against accidental fire, won't Danmaku ruin it? Since I believe Marisa somewhere said Danmaku still hurts if you get hit by it?

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #711 on: April 13, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »
Hair can catch fire too, you know.

Mokou had all that time to learn fire magic, she probably learned how to make amulets to protect herself from it as well.

Yes, it will. When she's beaten in IN, her outfit is damaged. Wait, it's only her shirt that's damaged, and it doesn't have amulets on it, so the answer might be "no".
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:13:42 AM by CyberAngel »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #712 on: April 13, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
Question spawned into my head based from small discussion at https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,17762.msg1176916.html#msg1176916Mokou is covered with amulets on her clothing but also in her hair. If she is using those amulets to prevent her clothing to accidental catch fire (as Cuc pointed out) , then what is the point of them in her hair? Or she doing that to keep her hair in good shape?
Regarding Mokou's hair, which seems to be the only part of her body that had changed in a thousand years, IN said the Hourai elixir reverses the relationship between the soul and the body, making the body entirely dependent on the soul. I think Mokou's long silver hair reflects the part of her soul that has changed.

A corollary of this is, maybe she cannot change the length of her own hair; even if she cut it, the next time she regenerates, the hair will grow back to the full length. So the only thing left for her to do is to make the hair as unobstructive as possible: tie them into tiny braids, and keep them from catching on fire.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #713 on: April 13, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »
So let me get this straight, her suspended trousers or w/e it is called in English, is covered in amulets to avoid catching fire. Her hair is covered in amulets to avoid catching fire. Her shirt clearly isn't. We can notice this also in her new portrait where the sleeves are missing and the shirt is ripped at shoulder area.

So does this mean Mokou can actually become buttnaked inside her suspended trousers? Then all those fanworks depicting her in a ecchi way with no clothes underneath seems a pretty accurate move?

Though what about Kaguya then? She is also burdened by the Hourai Elixer and is acting all princess like. I am pretty sure her eternal quarrel with Mokou surely made her burn her body / clothes / hair multiple times, yet she doesn't seem to much care about those? Which is bit unexpected nature of a princess.

Also someone gave Mokou the fire resistant amulets, unless she knows how to make them herself.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #714 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
So let me get this straight, her suspended trousers or w/e it is called in English, is covered in amulets to avoid catching fire. Her hair is covered in amulets to avoid catching fire. Her shirt clearly isn't. We can notice this also in her new portrait where the sleeves are missing and the shirt is ripped at shoulder area.

So does this mean Mokou can actually become buttnaked inside her suspended trousers? Then all those fanworks depicting her in a ecchi way with no clothes underneath seems a pretty accurate move?

Though what about Kaguya then? She is also burdened by the Hourai Elixer and is acting all princess like. I am pretty sure her eternal quarrel with Mokou surely made her burn her body / clothes / hair multiple times, yet she doesn't seem to much care about those? Which is bit unexpected nature of a princess.

Also someone gave Mokou the fire resistant amulets, unless she knows how to make them herself.
Kaguya's ability can make things temporarily eternal and indestructible, she probably uses it to have indestructible clothes as well.
Mokou knows other kinds of sorcery other than fire techniques, and protective amulets aren't exclusive to shrine maidens or other religious figures. She probably doesn't use them in her shirt because it would become ugly :V

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #715 on: April 13, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »
Maybe Mokou's shirt is already made of flame-proof materiais.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #716 on: April 13, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
Asbestos Shirt Mokou is now canon.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #717 on: April 13, 2015, 05:33:33 PM »
It burns in her IN beaten portrait. Funny enough, so does the amulet on top of her head.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #718 on: April 13, 2015, 06:58:47 PM »
Regarding Mokou's hair, which seems to be the only part of her body that had changed in a thousand years, IN said the Hourai elixir reverses the relationship between the soul and the body, making the body entirely dependent on the soul. I think Mokou's long silver hair reflects the part of her soul that has changed.
Well don't they say in Japan "A woman's hair is her life"? :V

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #719 on: April 13, 2015, 11:18:54 PM »
Funny enough, I posted my headcanon on how Mokou got her hair amulets in the headcanons thread a few days ago. :V My thought was that Kaguya gave them to her on a whim, but, thinking more seriously into it now, doesn't she have the Robe of the Fire Rat?

One possibility is that Mokou's trousers are made from the Robe, and the amulets are cosmetic---heck, they could even be patches covering holes---which she replaces when damaged by danmaku. Doesn't Tojiko, whose clan has history with the Fujiwara, have them too?

As for why I entertained the possibility that the amulets don't do anything, I was under the impression that the fire-warding attribute is a widely accepted explanation, but not the canonical one. As CyberAngel mentioned, the one on top of her head does burn.

That's my 2p.