Author Topic: 2048 Thread!  (Read 10350 times)

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
2048 Thread!
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
Or more like Make Your Own 2048.

If you haven't been living under a rock lately you should've been aware of the recently reignited interest in the game 2048. Which makes me introducing the game again pretty much unecessary.

But still I like doing unecessary things so.

2048 is a simple yet highly addictive game that involves you combining same low-level tiles together on a playboard to create higher-level tiles. The catch? The game takes place on a 4X4 box. With the minimum ''winning'' goal requiring you to reach a tier 11 box without running out of spaces. Its a simple concept but perfect in execution. A true reflection of the sentiment ''Simple is Beauty''.

For the uninformed who still have absolutely no idea what this is all about, here's a handy link to click into so that you can experience it firsthand. Don't worry, you will figure it out soon enough.

http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Re: 2048 Thread!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 01:23:30 PM »
Well I'm -always- living under a rock, so.

I made it to 512 (or whatever the 500 one was) without realizing if you got every space filled you lose :C I misread the OP.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Zoriri

• Danmaku Trainee
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
I managed to get to 1200 on my first try. :D

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »
(or whatever the 500 one was)
I managed to get to 1200 on my first try. :D
1024. Jesus guys, know your powers of 2

Anyway a certain vento linked that to me 2 weeks ago, and I was absolutely hooked, but it took me a few hours to clear. A couple of days later, someone sends me a very NSFW version with redheads instead of numbers, and I cleared that in under 10 minutes, welp '3'
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
I tried this a few weeks ago. I wasn't hooked, because I don't like trying to game these games. It loses its point quickly and has no point before that except try your best to luck out because you don't have the patience to calculate your moves. I hear there's some site that has an algorithm that solves this completely.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:43:15 PM »
I hear there's some site that has an algorithm that solves this completely.
You mean spamming down and left? :derp:

also http://doge2048.com/

Zil

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:21:37 PM »
I find that it's very easy if you just pick one direction and never press it.

Monkeypro257

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 11:58:40 PM »
Looks like I got 1996 on my first try. :)

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:56:08 AM »
I hear there's some site that has an algorithm that solves this completely.
http://sztupy.github.io/2048-Hard/

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

JT

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 07:27:35 AM »
34744. Beat that, scrubs.

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 07:47:05 AM »
50,552. Made it to the 4096 tile.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
6712, made it to 512 and a 256.

god i hate this game

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 10:33:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure my highest score is from when I was button-mashing...

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 04:02:35 AM »
You mean spamming down and left? :derp:

Spoiler:
NESW seemed to be the clincher for me.
I'm guessing that's the punchline? I am sometimes slow on the uptake.

But 50k+? That's pretty impressive. No idea how to do that.

e:

There reaches a point where I should be switching up directions; largest tile I've made has been 256.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:53:19 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

pineyappled

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 04:38:07 AM »
made it to 1024

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 05:37:34 AM »
I like to play this game to unwind every once in a while but rarely do I do this well. For those that want to do well at this game here's the basic idea that I use.
Spoiler:
There are two parts to this strategy. First comes placement. Pick a corner. What you want to do is always have your highest tile in that corner, you then want your second highest tile in an adjacent space. The second highest tile will fall along a wall. Line up two more times in descending order, so the whole wall is covered. This row has the advantage of not changing when you move in 3 directions and it puts your 4th highest tile on a new corner. Being moving your 5th closest tile adjacent to the 4th closest (note there will only be on space because the 3ed highest takes up the other space). When you construct such a chain you have the advantage that you can quickly and consistently collapse pairs while conserving space. The second part is understanding what not to do. First of all, your highest priority is never moving your highest tile, your second highest priority is never moving your second highest tile, your third... ect. Do not break from the strategy, even if its to save a high tile. It will not work in the long run and its more likely that the high tile will find its way back into the strategy.

I think I know why this game is so popular. First of all, its easy to play because it only takes 1 hand. Second, its very easy to pull yourself from the brink of a loss. As the board fills up the game becomes inherently easier, and after the player gets out of a few tough spots they begin to feel confident. Unfortunately the game also becomes exponentially harder as it goes on. In the end the goal of 2048 seems easy enough even though it actually doubles the number of moves needed to get to 1024.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »
Bearing this in mind, I got 4,712, including a 512. You're right about the exponential difficulty, especially when it comes to developing larger value tiles.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Zil

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 06:05:56 AM »

It's tedious, really.

Spoiler:
There are two parts to this strategy. First comes placement. Pick a corner. What you want to do is always have your highest tile in that corner, you then want your second highest tile in an adjacent space. The second highest tile will fall along a wall. Line up two more times in descending order, so the whole wall is covered. This row has the advantage of not changing when you move in 3 directions and it puts your 4th highest tile on a new corner. Being moving your 5th closest tile adjacent to the 4th closest (note there will only be on space because the 3ed highest takes up the other space). When you construct such a chain you have the advantage that you can quickly and consistently collapse pairs while conserving space. The second part is understanding what not to do. First of all, your highest priority is never moving your highest tile, your second highest priority is never moving your second highest tile, your third... ect. Do not break from the strategy, even if its to save a high tile. It will not work in the long run and its more likely that the high tile will find its way back into the strategy.

This is essentially what I do. As I see it, there are only two things that can go wrong. Either you are forced to move your chain of high value tiles off the wall it's next to because movement is impossible in any other direction, which is basically instant death, or when you join tiles in the chain and don't have a new one to move into the lowest value 4th spot and are forced to move the highest value tile in the direction of the other tiles in the chain, which gives you a slight chance of a new tile spawning in its place. Both of those situations, I think, are easy to avoid as long as you're "careful," and so the strategy should easily take you to insane levels, if you know what you're doing and can manage to stay awake.

That, or there's actually no reliable defense and you'll always be at the mercy of luckshit.

JT

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 07:33:32 AM »
51,512 :justasplanned:

Either you are forced to move your chain of high value tiles off the wall it's next to because movement is impossible in any other direction, which is basically instant death, or when you join tiles in the chain and don't have a new one to move into the lowest value 4th spot and are forced to move the highest value tile in the direction of the other tiles in the chain, which gives you a slight chance of a new tile spawning in its place.

That, or there's actually no reliable defense and you'll always be at the mercy of luckshit.
You should never have to move your high value tiles off the wall. If you do, you already screwed up somewhere. In the second situation, what you can usually do is build up the tile in the corner until it matches your highest.

But yeah, there is some chance involved. You can still work your way out of most bad situations, as even at very high levels you actually have a few "free" spaces. In fact, you can theoretically create a tile with a value as high as 131076. Good luck with that though. :V

Drake

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 08:30:56 AM »
217 = 131072

also i win

(I lost soon after, I trapped a 2 in the top-right corner)

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »

I got this score by mashing up-left-up-right. Mhmm.

(And that high score was from mashing up-right-down-left until I realized I got a pattern that I simply could not screw up)

Snakebite969

• Caution
  • Touhou + Physics = Explainable danmaku
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »
So this exists

3666 points is my high score... I'm terrible...
Goal: 1cc touhou 11 normal
Goal 2: beat any extra stage

Imosa

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 12:18:46 PM »
Yes, interestingly enough. Button mashing seems to preform better then some people's first attempts. 

So this exists
There is a site dedicated to generating versions of this game, none of which seem to use numbers so they become harder.

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 01:14:07 AM »

Didn't quite reach the 8192 tile, but since I had to move the 4096 tile away from the corner awhile back, I'm happy that I managed to survive for as long as I did. :)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 05:11:09 AM »
none of which seem to use numbers so they become harder.
I've found it to be way easier to associate images than numbers in this game, couple of my friends did too.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 05:40:42 AM »
Powers of 2 are much more intuitive to a normal human than images with a theme are but as soon as you understand the hierarchy there isn't any real difference.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
Powers of 2 are much more intuitive to a normal human than images with a theme are but as soon as you understand the hierarchy there isn't any real difference.

[attach=1]
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Imosa

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »
That feel

Interesting enough that game was very informative as to how to play this game including my earliest realization that the game was lost.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:31:04 PM by Imosa »

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 01:02:04 AM »

Imosa