Author Topic: So, a few things I've noticed from UFO (minor spoilers if you actually care)  (Read 37948 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
My big expert opinion that is 100% correct and cannot be contradicted is that Alice went through a design change, plain and simple. True she looks younger in MS, but it'd contradict the facts set in PMiSS if she had aged much more between MS and PCB. It'd help if we knew exactly how recently Alice became a youkai. Maybe it's just me, but Yuka also looks older in her Windows reappearance than she did in PC-98, but someone who's centuries old shouldn't age like that.

What I'm curious right now, is about Nue's possible appearance in LLS's Extra Stage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQVqrU83VV8&#t=1m38s

Well, ignoring the fact that Nue did not exist for another 11 years after that game, I'd call Nue's midboss appearances more of a throwback to that orb than her appearing. I have always been wondering about what the orb (which I've given the affectionate name of "That Damn Glowing Orb"), but I doubt it was a character that was introduced over a decade later.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

I always just thought that Alice might look a bit older for her age. Personally, I wouldn't really trust ZUN's art to distinguish a character's age. That's just me, though~

Possibility: Akyu is simply wrong. Remember, she's getting second- and third-hand information at best.

Remember, kids, this is fanon: canon is whatever you want it to be. ;)

nintendonut888

See, that's something that bugs me; people using the defense "Akyu was wrong." It's true she's an unreliable narrator, but this was an official resource book, meant to tell us more about Gensokyo and its inhabitants. Unless it's plain and clear she is wrong (like labeling Eirin/Kaguya as humans), there's no reason to doubt her words. Plus Alice is a youkai (arguing with the facts is just wasting time), and acts a lot like a human, so where's the room for question?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

7TC7

• In best company
What I'm curious right now, is about Nue's possible appearance in LLS's Extra Stage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQVqrU83VV8&#t=1m38s

Well, ignoring the fact that Nue did not exist for another 11 years after that game, I'd call Nue's midboss appearances more of a throwback to that orb than her appearing. I have always been wondering about what the orb (which I've given the affectionate name of "That Damn Glowing Orb"), but I doubt it was a character that was introduced over a decade later.

I thought the Glowing Orb in LLS Extra was Yuka, considering she turned into the same orb twice during the stage 6 battle.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!

I thought the Glowing Orb in LLS Extra was Yuka, considering she turned into the same orb twice during the stage 6 battle.

Hmmm...

... ... ...

...Holy crap.

YUKA IS NUE!  IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

See, that's something that bugs me; people using the defense "Akyu was wrong." It's true she's an unreliable narrator, but this was an official resource book, meant to tell us more about Gensokyo and its inhabitants. Unless it's plain and clear she is wrong (like labeling Eirin/Kaguya as humans), there's no reason to doubt her words. Plus Alice is a youkai (arguing with the facts is just wasting time), and acts a lot like a human, so where's the room for question?
I see your point, but my main focus was meant to be on my other comment, "canon is whatever you want it to be." In Touhou, canon is vague enough that, well, you can pretty much interpret anything however you want.

Theorin's comment above actually halfway makes sense. ;)

Muffin:
If people start thinking that fanon takes precedence over canon, when someone says "Eirin is Sakuya from the future, who left the SDM after Reimu slew Remilia", none would be able to say otherwise, even if canonically Reimu didn't kill Remilia.

Donut:
perhaps Eirin is human, it all depends if she was always living in the moon, or she moved to the moon (much before Kaguya had to be exiled to Earth), it's a possibility; Kaguya, however, has a greater possibility of having been born in the Moon, though

Black-Cat:
Nue said she was imprisoned until after Subterranean Animism; unless you consider the possibility of Yuka being imprisoned right after PoFV D:
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

I didn't say it took precedence over canon. Look, just about everything which is directly observed by the player/reader/etc. is technically pretty much immutable except for stylistic reasons and/or when there is a potential contradiction (i.e. based on who you're playing as), unless you're explicitly going for an AU fanfic. I'm saying that beyond that you've got plenty of wiggle room.

7TC7

• In best company
Black-Cat:
Nue said she was imprisoned until after Subterranean Animism; unless you consider the possibility of Yuka being imprisoned right after PoFV D:

I didn't say Yuka is Nue, I just stated that I think Yuka appeared in LLS's Extra Stage.  ;)
Theorin was the one, putting a hilarious connection.

But also, considering Nue can change the way she looks, I guess, she could have been everyone the heroens ever met befor - if she wouldn't have been sealed away as stated.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

understood.. and.. understood :D
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Tenbatsu! Myon Rabbie

• I cannot and will not learn.
  • Letty is sick of my shit.
I found out something..

Well, you know in MS, stage 4 midboss, bluehaired Luize?
She does that warping thing.

And in UFO, Murasa does that warping thing in her '' last word ''

2:00 forward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvrC_bs5lzQ

6:20 forward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8jCBRusFJo

Luize and Murasa DO HAVE kinda similar outfits too..

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
I found out something..

Hmm, that's quite the interesting find there, and too think of all people Yandere!Luize gets a referance too. There's PC98 goodness everywhere in this game I swear~

Although, them having similar outfits is something I'm not seeing. For one she would need the hat and a dress as simple as Luize's, if anything Koishi has a more similar attire than Murasa does. In fact Koishi and Luize are actually similar in the their way of traveling, although the similarities end when powers are concearned.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Tenbatsu! Myon Rabbie

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=1664.60;num_replies=72#top
I found out something..

Hmm, that's quite the interesting find there, and too think of all people Yandere!Luize gets a referance too. There's PC98 goodness everywhere in this game I swear~

Although, them having similar outfits is something I'm not seeing. For one she would need the hat and a dress as simple as Luize's, if anything Koishi has a more similar attire than Murasa does. In fact Koishi and Luize are actually similar in the their way of traveling, although the similarities end when powers are concearned.

Oh? I think they have pretty much the same looking costume..

Or maybe im just blind to see that there is nothing in common..

Also, those yellow lazers in one of the Byakuren's spellcards reminds me of the things that Yuki/Mai/Alice sends after you in MS. Those poor looking things.. you know?

Luize looks more like shes a passenger going on a cruise.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!

I can just imagine the doujin now... CAPTAIN MINAMITSU MURASA and her first mate Chiyuri start up a cruise holiday service (yes, I know Gensokyo's landlocked, don't ask how it works).  However, Luize is the only one who actually goes on the cruise.  Distraught at only having one customer, the two sailors decide that they have to make her trip as satisfying as possible so that she spreads the word of how good it is and they can get more customers....
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent

I can just imagine the doujin now... CAPTAIN MINAMITSU MURASA and her first mate Chiyuri start up a cruise holiday service (yes, I know Gensokyo's landlocked, don't ask how it works).  However, Luize is the only one who actually goes on the cruise.  Distraught at only having one customer, the two sailors decide that they have to make her trip as satisfying as possible so that she spreads the word of how good it is and they can get more customers....
Hmmm...my usual preferances would have me a bit indifferent on the idea, but...since this involves Luize and Chiyuri (and there's practically nothing NSFW involving them or PC98 respectively)...

I say fund it. *Gendo Hands*

Hm. I'm compiling a complete list of PC-98 references in UFO. Does Chiyuri have a teleportation attack, too? Someone mentioned that on IRC ...

nintendonut888

Her EX attack in PoDD has her teleporting around, making her hellish attacks last even longer than usual.

Tenbatsu! Myon Rabbie

Goddam Zun, why do you keep trolling :<

Goddam Zun, why do you keep trolling :<
I suppose it's possible he just rolled a critical failure on his "appeasing the PC-98 fans" check.

nintendonut888

Meh, the PC-98 fans who aren't satisfied by this are way too picky. Personally I find it the best part about UFO.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
HARDCORE PC98 fans are going to bitch and whine until they get their characters back

then they'll bitch and whine more because they have a different outfit or something

real PC98 fans are pretty cool though, cause they don't go ASHFGDIOUPGEBSGNK over new characters not being old characters.

Tenbatsu! Myon Rabbie

ZUNNNN, I'd rather not see any references to PC-98 games, if you are not going to bring back any PC-98 characters.. or any new characters that are related to PC-98 characters..

:<

then they'll bitch and whine more because they have a different outfit or something

The outfits will be different and there is nothing anyone can do about it. *Evil Zun laugh* I'm sure he has one.

HARDCORE PC98 fans are going to bitch and whine until they get their characters back

real PC98 fans are pretty cool though, cause they don't go ASHFGDIOUPGEBSGNK over new characters not being old characters.
ZUNNNN, I'd rather not see any references to PC-98 games, if you are not going to bring back any PC-98 characters.. or any new characters that are related to PC-98 characters..

:<

Me, I'm just gonna ... um ... drag my feet on Perfect Square, actually, because I'm slightly worried about Reimu's comment in 12.3 about the calm before the storm.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
Personally I'm fine with the PC98 referances and what not, it's that fact that made me think twice about ZUN and his ability to put continuity in his work.

The only thing that TRULY pisses me off is when fans try to REPLACE the PC98 characters being referanced (Like the Captain and Byakuren being seen as the new Yumemi and Chiyuri. Nuh-uh, that ain't gonna fly, carry that bullshit somewhere else before I shove it back up your ass, Fandumb).

So yeah, I don't care if PC98 characters come back, which is saying something, considering how much of a Shinkifag I am and all. If ZUN does bring'em back then fine he'll make me a happy black guy, if not then so what, life goes on.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:31:16 PM by Rippershinki Luizerebus »

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Luize, Chiyuri, and whoever have no reason to be in UFO's plot just based on the backstory.
Trying to put them in would vaguely amount to ZUN writing bad fanfiction of his own games.

Luize, Chiyuri, and whoever have no reason to be in UFO's plot just based on the backstory.
Trying to put them in would vaguely amount to ZUN writing bad fanfiction of his own games.
Well, I'm sure ZUN is perfectly capable of writing a backstory for which they would make sense. Mind you, even in the demo they wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense ...

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Well, I'm sure ZUN is perfectly capable of writing a backstory for which they would make sense. Mind you, even in the demo they wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense ...
Whale, let's try to sort this one out.
Let's say ZUN wanted to keep the plot continuous like he did with MoF.  Now, it's not entirely implausible to suggest that Yumemi's Improbability Device or whatever it was could have been buried underground and brought up by the geyser.  However, this begs the question of how it got there in the first place (just saying "improbability" doesn't count).
Then you have to bring in the question of how Luizeiyuri, Shinki, and presumably Yumemi (replacing Ichirin...?  Nice demotion) would fit together, as neither of the PoDD duo has any business in Makai and the only two that know of each other are Chiyuri and Yumemi.

Or maybe ZUN didn't want to do strawberry cross danmaku.  The world may never know. *shrug*