Author Topic: So, a few things I've noticed from UFO (minor spoilers if you actually care)  (Read 38143 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
1. Obviously, this game has confirmed that Makai still is canon, though it appears much more sinister than in MS. But also, Reimu mentions in her dialogue that she remembers Makai from before, so this is yet more proof that PC-98 is still recognized as canon.

2. I've always thought the "Shinki is Alice's mom" theory to be very flawed. People say it's because she was in Makai at the time, but UFO gives an indirect explanation for why Alice was there during the events of Mystic Square:

Quote from: Murasa
There's a miasma that's bad for you body floating about,
but it makes magic stronger.

There's also a similar quote in another scenario that says that you can learn magic there, and also that Marisa wanted to go there, as a magician. So there is a perfectly sensible explanation for why Alice was in Makai.

3. Houkai (where Byakuren was sealed) is said to be a part of Makai, sealed away in a corner of it. If you look at the background of Byakuren's fight, you'll notice two structures. To me, they look like Pandemonium (the castle where Shinki lives) and a city (probably the city from MS stage 3). Even more suggestion that all this has happened in the past.

So tl;dr, suck it people who say PC-98 isn't still canon. Even if I have problems with UFO itself, stuff like this makes me like it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:48:27 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Drake

I'm pretty sure I already said EVERYTHING FROM STAGE 6 IS A REFERENCE

HELL THE DAMN FAIRIES MAKE A SPACE INVADERS LINE

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
I was pretty much happy with the PC-98 references in this game, but if ZUN is trying to bring back stuff from PC-98, why not bring back the characters themselves? He already went as far as to include Makai and give Byakuren Shinki's attacks, why not just put Shinki in her place instead? Yes, I feel that ZUN is trolling PC-98 fans by creating new characters so similar to PC-98 characters instead of using the older characters. Then again, the same thing can also be said to fans who actually want to see new characters if he did bring PC-98 back, so...

Anyway, what's done is done; I'll just be glad that he didn't forget about PC-98.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
afaik Touhou became waaaay more popular when it hit Windows; bringing old characters back would be nice but ZUN really has no reason to. though, considering UFO maybe we'll see an older character in the next game? hell, I'm saying Mima or a PoDD character

the PC-98 games were *always* canon... pretty sure everything overseen by ZUN is and has always been canon, and probably always will be. whoever said "the PC-98 games never happened" is a idiot/are idiots
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

KomeijiKoishi

There's one funny thing I've noticed and I don't know if it was already mentioned:
When the demo was released, everyone thought the heroines will fly higher and higher.
And at the end, they reach Makai, THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
And at the end, they reach Makai

THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE
Fun fact: during MS; the heroine entered Makai through a portal in the sky.

Taking "ma" (魔) to be "demon", "kai" (界) to be "world", Makai would be quite literally "Demon World". I don't see anything wrong.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
I've also considered whether UFO might be the beginning of a PC-98 relapse. The last 3 incidents have all been related and involve opening up the underground and Makai. The appearance of Makai as well as Shinki's spellcard suggests that it may continue.

Plot of TH13, demons are once again all over gensokyo? I wish.

Regardless, no point getting to involved in it. There's still... 8 months at least until we hear the slightest word of Touhou 13 so just kick back and relax for now.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
So tl;dr, suck it people who say PC-98 isn't still canon.

PC-98 is totally canon, no doubt about it, and UFO confirms it. Just because a lot of PC-98 characters haven't yet returned doesn't change that. It's like I've said before: they're not "dead", they're just off somewhere else doing their own thing. Kind of like when old friends move away from your neighborhood.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
People ever said PC-98 wasn't canon?  I just said that they're frustrating and unfortunate as games :v except LLS

It kind of begs the question of why the old characters haven't returned if they're overlapping here and there with new ones.
Probably the best explanation I can think of is that the new characters fit the storyline better.  ZUN's definitely putting an increasing emphasis on plot; I think it's kind of neat how in his mind Gensokyo with all its obscure references fits together as it does.

That and EoSD would have been much more of a joke game if it was called Mystic Square Grudge Match tbh.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:37:47 PM by u? »

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Taking "ma" (魔) to be "demon", "kai" (界) to be "world", Makai would be quite literally "Demon World". I don't see anything wrong.
Well, it's a common issue that Makai gets confused with hell.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Well, it's a common issue that Makai gets confused with hell.

And this is precisely why more people should play THRtP.  :V
Even though the path names ought to be swapped. An angel of death fits better into hell, and an astral knight fits better into the demon world. Don't you think?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
Houkai (法界) mean Law World?

Drake

I suppose. Literally it says "Universe", but I doubt that's what he wanted.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Probably has something to do with some Buddhist enlightened land, state or similar. Byakuren was suppose to be a monk or learned Buddhist magic right ?

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
I don't wanna say it, but this is all another round of 'OH SHIT MIMA/SHINKI/WHOEVER is coming back!' feel I get from all the vibes, I will keep being cynic about it. Even if the few things do point to it in Donut's post I find no reason to get the hype over it.

That and oh, it is good if it comes true, I am not crossing fingers or anything.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Letty Whiterock

Probably the best explanation I can think of is that the new characters fit the storyline better.  ZUN's definitely putting an increasing emphasis on plot; I think it's kind of neat how in his mind Gensokyo with all its obscure references fits together as it does.
The explanation is that ZUN wants to make new characters and doesn't want to make explanations for the return of old characters. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
There's also the heartbeat sounds in the Stage 6 theme.
Quote from: Touhou Wikia
Final Stage theme

World's End

This song is just for a stage to let you
get some more items before the boss, so it's short.
Actually, I wanted to try to do this with just a
heartbeat sound
, but this isn't that kind of
game *g*

nintendonut888

Oh wow, you're right. I never even noticed that.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

I don't wanna say it, but this is all another round of 'OH SHIT MIMA/SHINKI/WHOEVER is coming back!' feel I get from all the vibes, I will keep being cynic about it. Even if the few things do point to it in Donut's post I find no reason to get the hype over it.

That and oh, it is good if it comes true, I am not crossing fingers or anything.

So tl;dr, suck it people who say PC-98 isn't still canon. Even if I have problems with UFO itself, stuff like this makes me like it.
direct hit confirmed :D

It's a positive thing for me that ZUN did reference the former games, so that people wouldn't have to wonder what happened to the other characters or where they were all this time (as ZUN himself once said), and also to reiterate that the PC-98 games are as canonical as the Windows games. Yes, there are retards in the imageboard that say that characters from older games don't exist in canon, because the games are old.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

nintendonut888

For the record, I'm not going to give in to foolishness and think that this means we're all set for a big PC-98 revival. After all, PC-98 already has five games of material, and it'd be more unfair to the Windows characters that all these girls got two appearances as bosses. I'm just happy that ZUN's saying that he hasn't forgotten about the games where Touhou got its start.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
I wanted to try to do this with just a
heartbeat sound
, but this isn't that kind of
game *g*
[/quote]
I''m sure it would sound good if it beats like drum.

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
Okay, a few things about all of this.

A.  I was laughing so hard when I saw Shinki's attack, because earlier that day I had stated "If there was any character I would like to see return, it would be Shinki."

B.  I am very, very happy that the last boss was not Yumemi or Shinki or Yuka or whatever the heck people wanted.  Sorry, but that would be very underwhelming.  The ultimate boss of a game shouldn't be a returning character.  It's like, "Hi, you were expecting a new character with some motive you've never seen before but you just get a reuse, enjoy"

C.  Totally unrelated but Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind is the greatest song.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
I seriously would want to know more about the character personalities and profile ( I know their powers and such are translated ) But seriously PMiSS act II is required for all the new characters for MoF and higher?

And Cosmic Mind is indeed a great song fitting perfectly Byakuren's desires and speech. Too bad people bash it for a general reason like: "It is final boss so needs badass theme"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:39:34 PM by Helepolis »

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
It is a badass theme, what's up with that!

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Okay, a few things about all of this.

A.  I was laughing so hard when I saw Shinki's attack, because earlier that day I had stated "If there was any character I would like to see return, it would be Shinki."

B.  I am very, very happy that the last boss was not Yumemi or Shinki or Yuka or whatever the heck people wanted.  Sorry, but that would be very underwhelming.  The ultimate boss of a game shouldn't be a returning character.  It's like, "Hi, you were expecting a new character with some motive you've never seen before but you just get a reuse, enjoy"

C.  Totally unrelated but Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind is the greatest song.

I totally agree with point B.

and yes, C too.

I want the heartbeat part mixed into it too...
or better still... what is that stage 6 stage theme? That heartbeat! that heartbeat!
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
The Stage 6 theme translates to "Fires of Hokkai", so says the wiki.

Before reading the translations I thought I was in the loli version of 2001: A Space Odyssey by that point.

Yeah, both last stages weren't exactly the same kind of "EPIC!" I was hoping for in e.g. Mountain of Faith and IN, music-wise, but they did do what they were trying to do very well.

Also the first time I've seen heartbeat and drums mixed like that.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,

my feelings exactly.

Dan-Heron

• Evil Chibi-Dan -doesn't bite-
how long do you think the "It all started with the Moriya Shrine" games are going to continue?

From 12.3, Reimu mentions the crew from UFO found a temple to stay, but she also mentions this feels like the quiet before the storm, almost the same way she did in one of the mangas, can't remember if Silent Sinner or Nature Deity. She told Marisa everybody was quiet, waiting for the other to make a move to act.
So we have peaceful youkai, nuclear reactor doing ok, Sanae seems to be less of a zealot in 12.3 and everything looks good, so what could happen next to screw things up?

Also, just what are Suwako plans in 12.3? Obviously no idea what Sanae's ending translates into, so I may be missing something, but Sanae asked her if Kanako knew what was she doing, and Suwako just dodged the questions.

Could somebody explain what happens with Sanae's story in 12.3?
so much evil it's poisonously healthy!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
so what could happen next to screw things up?

i can think of a few, some more likely than others:

1. Byakuren was lying
2. Nue interferes again
3. Kanako does something