Author Topic: GWAR frontman Oderus Urungus (RN: Dave Brockie) has died  (Read 2037 times)

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
GWAR frontman Oderus Urungus (RN: Dave Brockie) has died
« on: March 25, 2014, 02:18:58 AM »
http://m.styleweekly.com/richmond/gwar-frontman-dave-brockie-has-died/Content?oid=2048548

Dave Brockie (a.k.a. Oderus Urungus), founder and lead singer of GWAR, was found dead in his Richmond, Virginia apartment. Richmond police stated that while they do not suspect foul play,  He was 50-years-old.

GWAR had only recently returned home from a brief tour of Australia and Japan earlier this month.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: GWAR frontman Oderus Urungus (RN: Dave Brockie) has died
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:48:10 AM »

I was pretty shocked to hear this, personally. Despite all appearances, Dave didn't have any visible signs of even using drugs, and police have confirmed there were no drugs found at the scene.

GWAR was a breath of fresh air in a genre that was starting to take itself way too seriously. The fact that the idea for the band was born from a university art club (in Richmond, Virginia, of all places) says it all. They hyperbolized and cartoonified everything about metal, creating an entire mythology about and around their characters. These were pioneers who paved the way for Rammstein's hosing strap-on and Slipknot's costume drama. While they certainly could rock when they wanted to (NSFW) GWAR were good for metal by bringing humor, the absurd side of darkness, and just genuine fun to metal.

I only saw them once, as RAWG. Which meant there was no costume nor stage show. But it was 500 people in a club with a permit for 200, and it was absolute mayhem.

Dave will be missed, but we can rest in the consolation that his soul will remain preserved in Antarctica, ready to be transplanted into an even greater monster.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
Re: GWAR frontman Oderus Urungus (RN: Dave Brockie) has died
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:01:52 AM »
May he rip in pieces
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .