Author Topic: 東方桃源宮 ~ Riverbed Soul Saver (From the makers of TLC and MPP!)  (Read 54920 times)

Yeah, I did no hyper Easy and Normal perfect runs because of the sheer amount of resources, getting the most with Marisa A, since the lasers penetrate and take it those fairies in the back. You get a huge amount from the pre-midboss fairy on stage 6 (I think that's what it was) if you use Marisa C. Definitely trying Hard and learning Lunatic tonight. Wonder if they might just leave Ruri for extra stage and for some reason bring back someone from MPP or perhaps from The main touhou cast aaas they did with Hatate being the midboss of Stage 6 in MPP.

Smokey

• Not the cat
Oh jeez I love games that are easy to 1cc, but (potentially) harder to score well in.
This is certainly a step up from the kusoge Ido usually produces.
Very VERY excited for some Futo action.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Yeah, I did no hyper Easy and Normal perfect runs because of the sheer amount of resources, getting the most with Marisa A, since the lasers penetrate and take it those fairies in the back. You get a huge amount from the pre-midboss fairy on stage 6 (I think that's what it was) if you use Marisa C. Definitely trying Hard and learning Lunatic tonight. Wonder if they might just leave Ruri for extra stage and for some reason bring back someone from MPP or perhaps from The main touhou cast aaas they did with Hatate being the midboss of Stage 6 in MPP.
Tarumi, the Stage 5 boss, is a good argument against using MarisA because additive blend etc.

Plus, penetration and huge focused hyper range aside, if things are the same as they were in the demo I don't think there's an appreciable difference in firepower between MarisA and ReimuB.

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
DOUBLE EDIT: ...Oh look, the game STILL locks up on me right before Cirno if I have backgrounds turned on. >_>;;
Does this happen to anyone else? It's been happening to me since the demo. I wonder if it's a bug or something.
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

Does this happen to anyone else? It's been happening to me since the demo. I wonder if it's a bug or something.

I've never had it happen to me, not sure why it does that.

Tarumi, the Stage 5 boss, is a good argument against using MarisA because additive blend etc.

Plus, penetration and huge focused hyper range aside, if things are the same as they were in the demo I don't think there's an appreciable difference in firepower between MarisA and ReimuB.

Ah true, I decided to try out Marisa B, which helped a lot in my First try Hard 1CC, which I'll leave a download for below. It was super sloppy, but I'm happy I got it.

As for using ReimuB, it's cuz I like Persuasion Needle a lot >.> But I'm going to fully complete it with each character on all difficulties, because I don't work during the weekdays. X3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2tcq5mj0rwd6us/Package_replay04.dat

I loved how stage 5 is a reference to other stage 5's!  The music really sounds like DDC's and it has patterns based on UFO, TD and DDC too!  Anybody else noticed any other particularly cool reference like that in the rest of the game?

way to use Futo

THRSS_1.00a\script\Th_rss\player_rss

Change "SRR_Pl03A.dnh" to "SRR_Pl02A.dnh"  (same as 03B and 03C . remember to leave a backup)

Then you can select Marisa A B C to use Futo A B C

btw, Futo C is so fantastic....

way to use Futo

THRSS_1.00a\script\Th_rss\player_rss

Change "SRR_Pl03A.dnh" to "SRR_Pl02A.dnh"  (same as 03B and 03C . remember to leave a backup)

Then you can select Marisa A B C to use Futo A B C

btw, Futo C is so fantastic....

Holy Shit this actually works! Great job at finding this, would've never thought to see if they actually left that there! ^^

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
Theory for the Ex Stage Midboss

Spoiler:
If you see the images in the files of the game, you can see Himemiko with two sets of portraits. Both of these portraits have the same expressions but different swords. With her wanting to obtain the Kusanagi Sword, and Rinnosuke appearing in Marisa's Ending, I can assume she will return as Ex Midboss.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

About your theory,
Spoiler:
well not wanting to bust your bubble or anything but she appears with both swords on the normal game run.  The thicker sword is the one she uses on stage 4, and the thinner, shiny sword on stage 6.

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
Oh lord, it's here, it's here! And I'm not a month late for once! I tremendously enjoyed MPP, so I'm quite excited about the remarks of it being a lot better than that.
Let's see if I can't crank a blind Normal 1cc out of this!

EDIT: Well, I managed it. On one hand, that was extremely cool, and I really liked pretty much every pattern and song. On the other hand, it was also quite easy. I blew about twelve bombs by blundering into random things and still managed to get there with three lives in stock. There wasn't actually anything wrong with the patterns themselves, but you really did get showered with pickups. Guess I'll have to give Hard a shot.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:00:58 AM by SirChaotick »

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
Does this require Danmakufu?
If so, then I guess I'm getting Danmakufu. I've been meaning too (for TLC mainly) so yeah

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
The download comes with Danmakufu already, so you don't need to get it. ^^;
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
Does this require Danmakufu?
If so, then I guess I'm getting Danmakufu. I've been meaning too (for TLC mainly) so yeah
The download comes with Danmakufu already, so you don't need to get it. ^^;

That, and ph3 can't run TLC, given it's for 0.12m.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Nolegs the Cat

How do I make it full screen?

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
How do I make it full screen?

Just open the option.exe in the TH_RSS1,00 folder. It has text in english.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Nolegs the Cat

...Blind normal 1cc, max lives at end =/ (maybe 1-2 invisible extra ones too)
I heard it was easy and I know I can do the easier hard modes... but wow.
I guess part of it was low FPS. -shrug-

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Some of the data looks like the programmers are halfway interested in an Overdrive difficulty.  There are also references to "Extra", "Phantasm", and "Overflow", poking around - the last of those sounds like a Len addition.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
How long do you guys and gals think it'll be before the English patch gets made?

I am working on it as we speak. I will need help with the Images, though. Also, I cannot translate japanese, but I can get the translations from the wiki.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Doing some rudimentary shot type analysis just to see if my suspicions are correct.  Nothing about this is precise because I don't know how to hack this version of DMF.

Futo's base shot is 10% more powerful than Reimu's and Marisa's.

Hypers last for 1800 frames (30 seconds), with the timer pausing whenever there are no enemies on screen and any time the player cannot shoot (e.g. during dialogue).  Obviously, 30 seconds will get a lot more done during stages than bosses.

----------

Testing on Yuyuko's first spell on Normal, the clear times (for focused damage) I got were:
ReimuA:  19.26
ReimuB:  18.12
ReimuC:  16.32 (focused), 19.26 (unfocused), <timeout> (homing shot only)
MarisA:  18.17
MarisaB:  17.15
MarisaC:  20.03
FutoA:  17.52
FutoB:  15:54 (all shots), 21.06 (Futo only), ~35.00 (Tojiko only; DMF crashed upon spell card capture)
FutoC:  14.17 (mostly unfocused), 20.04 (focused, medium distance)

On Yuyuko's third spell on Normal... (this is something of a test for "if all shots hit", ish)
ReimuA:  23.52
ReimuB:  19.45
ReimuC:  18.26
MarisA:  22.48 (not a typo)
MarisaB:  18.39
MarisaC:  19.41
FutoA:  21.46
FutoB:  20.05
FutoC:  23.19

On Normal Cirno, with hypers... (note that Cirno comes in from the top-center right, so shot types that can hit that from the center are at an advantage)
ReimuA:  5 shots fired  (This is somewhat unfair, as this doesn't really measure the strength of her hyper options)
ReimuB:  1 shot fired
ReimuC:  3 shots fired (contrast 5 shots with no hyper)
MarisA:  No shots fired (unfocused)
MarisaB:  3 shots fired (far), 1 shot fired (medium), no shots fired and a little less time than MarisA (close), 1 shot fired (unfocused, close) (contrast 5 shots with no hyper)
MarisaC:  No shots fired, about the same length of time as MarisA
FutoA:  Difficult to discern hyper power because of the nature of the shot.
FutoB:  3 shots fired
FutoC:  9 shots fired (far), 5 shots fired (close)

------

ReimuA:  Standard homing shots that have the power to chase backward when focused.  Hyper adds a horizontal array of options to shoot straight ahead.
ReimuB:  Standard persuasion needle, although its range seems to be on the narrower side of the official games.  Hyper completes a triangle of options to shoot straight ahead.
ReimuC:  When firing, includes a gohei that swings about midway up the screen from Reimu.  Focus to add a slow-moving homing shot.  Hyper adds two more gohei on either side of the existing one; in addition, point items that touch the gohei are auto-collected.
MarisA:  Penetrating lasers that have a (relatively) wide dispersion unfocused and a very narrow focus.  Hyper adds eight more lasers that roughly converge midway up the screen when unfocused, and angle out to cover most of the screen when focused (similar to Marisa+Alice in SA).
MarisaB:  Missiles with splash damage after the fashion of Marisa+Nitori in SA.  The options rotate as you move laterally with progressive velocity, though I don't know if this is practically meaningful.  Hyper increases damage and increases the splash damage radius to cover something like half the screen in either direction.  In addition, once your main shot hits something, if your options are close enough they will lock onto it until it dies, even if you move away.
MarisaC:  Five short-wave shots similar to the B-type from UFO.  Focus to slightly alter the shot pattern and fire them backward as well.  Hyper removes all but your main shot and causes your options to enlarge and rotate around you (increasing rotation speed as you hold fire), dealing damage on their own.  Focusing causes them to spread out slightly.  While you can stop firing to keep your options in one position for the joy of poking a fairy with a big orange crystal, this is not optimal as you aren't doing damage from your main shot.
FutoA:  Unfocused it's a spread shot; the spread is weak and seems to stop in place for reasons I'm not sure of.  Focused, the options' shots have slight homing tendencies like PCB SakuyA.  The hyper charges power up to three times as you keep shooting, and when you release the shot button, Futo will unleash a laser corona according to how much charge you had.
FutoB:  In addition to a straight-ahead shot similar to ReimuB, when you press the shot key Tojiko will appear in front of you, fixed in position, and fire straight ahead until you release the shot key.  On hyper Tojiko will independently move toward enemies and shoot them down.
FutoC:  Futo has a wind aura around her that deals a ton of damage on its own.  When focused, Futo shoots a large wind shot in the direction opposite your movement when you focused, and keeps her wind aura in each direction except where you were going when you focused.  The hyper does the same, but includes another wind shot that homes in on enemies.  The wind shots will decrease bullet velocity and potentially change their angle, though I don't understand the means by which this happens.

---

Conclusions...
Unsurprisingly, ReimuA has low overall power, which makes the bosses miserable.  However, her ability to potentially hit any target anywhere on the screen is probably attractive in Stages 3 and 5 in particular.  She has one of the better hypers for stages, as she can cover most of the screen with moderate firepower.
ReimuB is solid as usual.
ReimuC (Goheimu) is hilarious and, without hypers and under optimal conditions, the best boss-killer in the game.  Her major downside is that she struggles outside her optimal conditions (focused and medium-distance from the target, e.g. all those attacks that force you to dodge from midscreen).  She makes up for her shortcomings with her auto-collection boost during her hypers, which is your best bet for maxing out your resources.
MarisA is, without hypers, more or less exactly as powerful as ReimuB and comes with narrower range.  On the other hand, her hyper (and probably her hyper liberation as well) is substantially better, provided you're able to stay unfocused when you want.  Also, obligatory additive blend complaint.
MarisaB is surprisingly strong for a gimmicky shot type.  Her range during a hyper is surprisingly good, which combined with her damage output makes her a competent alternative to ReimuB.
MarisaC... I'm still going to need convincing on.  She has a competent back-shot but her forward shots are too dispersed to deal much damage.  Her hyper is very strong and has demonstrated potential to cheese some attacks, but it still seems like it will make a lot of the game more difficult than it has to be.
FutoA is... odd.  I'm not a big fan of charging attacks, since releasing the shot key is one more thing I have to remember.  Her hyper shot can clear the screen of enemies, but by that time they've already dumped bullets on screen.  At least her focused shot is very competent.
FutoB is scary if she can get all her shots to hit.  However, if you can't manage Tojiko or if you're fighting moving targets, this shot type becomes a liability.  Her hyper fixes this problem in spades.
FutoC is, aside from the obvious best choice in a no-focus run, a very strong alternative to MarisaC in the point-blank category, with the ability to clear stages by ramming enemies.  At a distance, though, she leaves a bit to be desired.  Her ability to slow bullets down is amusing but I'm not sure how practical it is, given that it can turn fast-moving staggered bullets into a slow-moving wall.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:28:49 AM by ?q »

Is it just me, or Stage 5 references UFO, TD and DDC? Even the stage music sounds like The Shining Needle Castle Sinking in the Air.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
^ It seems so. In general, I must say that after actually trying the game, I'm much more impressed by the stages than from the gameplay video itself. They do a great job at forcing you to observe the entire screen and move around, not to mention are much more dazzling if they are allowed to fully appear (the test player mostly cut them off early via needle Reimu + memorization, leaving only a few bullets on Normal mode), and, thankfully, not like Phantasmagoria Trues at all after all (save that obvious reference on S4).

By the way, Futo's options are beyond awesome, especially B :V. My only remaining gripes are that there are too much sight-screwing patterns (I think that's mostly the fault of the backgrounds, but we also have stuff like the gems blending in with Tarumi's bullets in the worst way), and the way the game showers you with resources (well, at least that will make the jump to Hard quicker and maybe make me try out Lunatic down the way).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:47:06 PM by Critz »

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
Is it just me or those shiny orbs' hitboxes are larger than they seem?
And that centrifuge spellcard is horrible.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Is it just me or those shiny orbs' hitboxes are larger than they seem?
And that centrifuge spellcard is horrible.
I was wondering the same thing about the hitboxes.  I don't think that their hitboxes are large; it's that the orbs themselves are large.

Momohime's fourth spell card isn't the worst thing, because at least it's doable.  (As long as you don't stay on the pivot point or circle-dodge in sync with a laser line, you're probably fine with the lasers.)  Her first card, on the other hand, is just uncalled for (because of the hitbox issue you mentioned, which also applies to the stars).

-----

W.R.T. the game showering you with resources - it's a fair bit tougher to collect all those points on higher difficulties when you actually have to dodge a large number of inconvenient bullets on your way to the PoC.  The PoC feels really high in this game, too.

Another really terrible offender for not being able to see anything is Tarumi's part of the last spell card, particularly when they first materialize.  But, if Momohime's spell cards are any indication, the designers fully believe that red-on-red is fair game.

-----

Extra stage speculation.
Spoiler:
Just based on crackpot pattern recognition I think it has to be in the same place as the fourth stage. 

In addition, the fourth stage has this black portal-esque blur that shows up in the second half of the stage that is never explained.  That's where your Extra boss, who will be wearing a mask and claim to be Prince Marth, is going to come from. 

Given that the premise of the Extra stage is that they never found the mastermind who let these goons into Gensokyo, the sub-boss is most likely going to be a Kusanagi-wielding Himemiko, with lower odds on Ruri having a new master.  I'm writing Tarumi off because she's showed up enough already.  Since the Extra boss is not supposed to be someone related to the main game per se, I'd write off Momohime and Hanie, and there really aren't a lot of secondary characters with loose ends other than the ones mentioned.  Tenmu and Youmu are both mentioned in the script but they don't have much reason to be out in Stage 4's area.

Most importantly, we still have hope for Lolita Cthulhu.

Nolegs the Cat

Hard 1cc with FutoA, first try... 1 life left.
It was so bad because I had no idea how Futo's hyper works and just assumed it was unfinished because she wasn't released. 
Then the moment I come onto here I find it how it works. :colonveeplusalpha:

I might re-do it, to be honest. Hopefully it'll be much better. FutoA's hyper is useless without charging it seems, it does REALLY pitiful damage. As in, 2-3x (I'm guessing) less than most Homing shot types.

Also, the yellow arrows home in to enemies within a certain range horizontally when you focus.

Momohime's fourth spell card isn't the worst thing, because at least it's doable.  (As long as you don't stay on the pivot point or circle-dodge in sync with a laser line, you're probably fine with the lasers.)  Her first card, on the other hand, is just uncalled for (because of the hitbox issue you mentioned, which also applies to the stars).

On hard mode I have it the other way around - I have trouble with Momohime's fourth spell, and find her first one really easy :l
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:47:00 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

Just finished a Normal 1CC. Futo C utterly trivializes Momohime's third to last card.

Reimu C will collect items automatically in hyper.
This makes this game 50% easier or more.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Reimu C will collect items automatically in hyper.
This makes this game 50% easier or more.
Ooh yes right, thank you.  Added... though, it's not 100%; under extreme/unusual/mostly negligible circumstances she won't auto-collect.

On hard mode I have it the other way around - I have trouble with Momohime's fourth spell, and find her first one really easy :l
I... don't know what Momohime's first spell is like on Hard - I know it's different on Normal mode though.  Lunatic puts you in the middle of a circle where Momo shoots green orbs from the center while stars come in at all kinds of angles from the edges; Normal has heartwalls closing in from the sides.

---

I kind of want to do a good video of this game, so I'm trying to figure out all of the spells I should either supergrind or just try to gracefully bomb.  Unfortunately, the vast majority of those spells (about five) belong to Momohime.  :V

How do you use a hyper?

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
Hold the Bomb Button for a few moments while the Hyper Gauge is full. You must have at least one bomb in stock to do so. Bombs and Life Fragments are worth the double while on Hyper mode.