Author Topic: Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spell card help after all  (Read 199549 times)

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
Re: Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spell card help after all
« Reply #750 on: August 22, 2016, 06:11:00 AM »
This isn't really significant since I wouldn't advise anyone to do it, but you can just tap stream that spell at the bottom on normal as well. But since you're between the stars, you need RNG to be kind and not spawn a laser in your direction.

« Reply #751 on: August 22, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »
I use a slightly different approach on this spellcard at Normal difficulty - I try to get completely out of the way of the aimed 'three-lane' stars, and only worry about the lasers and the other stars. Typically, the 'other' stars come in four rings per attack wave, and I find that predicting their trajectory is not too difficult - dodging them seems to require small taps to the left and right. The main thing (for me at least) is not getting hit by the lasers when dodging the 'other' stars, but I find this is limited to one or two waves where my dodging and the lasers firing occur concurrently.

I find trying to stay a good distance from the bottom of the screen helps with this.

Here's a replay of this method with the spellcard timed out: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41204

« Reply #752 on: August 23, 2016, 07:31:54 PM »
Meanwhile, over on the other half of Stage 4, I'm not sure how to approach Fantasy Seal "Concentrate".

Neptune

• :D
  • kms
« Reply #753 on: August 23, 2016, 07:44:13 PM »
I use a slightly different approach on this spellcard at Normal difficulty - I try to get completely out of the way of the aimed 'three-lane' stars, and only worry about the lasers and the other stars. Typically, the 'other' stars come in four rings per attack wave, and I find that predicting their trajectory is not too difficult - dodging them seems to require small taps to the left and right. The main thing (for me at least) is not getting hit by the lasers when dodging the 'other' stars, but I find this is limited to one or two waves where my dodging and the lasers firing occur concurrently.

I find trying to stay a good distance from the bottom of the screen helps with this.

Here's a replay of this method with the spellcard timed out: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41204

ahh, thanks!! I will definitely try this~
i like cute stuff

« Reply #754 on: August 23, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Ok so i still havent beat EOSD but i have a replay and could use some advice on what im doing wrong and what to improve.. Almost every run seems to end at remillias non or first spell http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41215

« Reply #755 on: August 23, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »
Ok so i still havent beat EOSD but i have a replay and could use some advice on what im doing wrong and what to improve.. Almost every run seems to end at remillias non or first spell http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41215
Maybe is because they (Remillia's first non spell and spell) made it look like the screen is filled with bullets and that makes some players, especially ones that are not that good yet, panic especially if they likely because aren't that good, have lost most of their resources on the previous stages; so to get past them one should try to not panic to do so is fundamental to know and be able to confidently exploit the fact that "bubble" bullet type are much smaller than they appear to be, also for these particular attacks I think is better to focus more on the zone of the screen around your character and there to focus more on the zones without bullets than the bullets themselfs
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:39:52 PM by R.P. »

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #756 on: August 23, 2016, 11:30:48 PM »
Maybe is because they (Remillia's first non spell and spell) made it look like the screen is filled with bullets and that makes some players, especially ones that are not that good yet, panic especially if they likely because aren't that good, have lost most of their resources on the previous stages; so to get past them one should try to not panic to do so is fundamental to know and be able to confidently exploit the fact that "bubble" bullet type are much smaller than they appear to be, also for these particular attacks I think is better to focus more on the zone of the screen around your character and there to focus more on the zones without bullets than the bullets themselfs
That is only partially right. EoSD has MASSIVE hitboxes. It's only true in the other games that the hitboxes are smaller than they look.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

« Reply #757 on: August 23, 2016, 11:52:07 PM »
Well based on my practice remillia isnt the problem herself its the lack of rescources. I figured out that i need at least 3 lives maybe 2 to beat her i know most of her spells otherwise i just bomb mostly till her last spell. problem is most of my runs im entering the stage with no rescources even though i use 5 starting lives option

« Reply #758 on: August 24, 2016, 12:38:10 AM »
That is only partially right. EoSD has MASSIVE hitboxes. It's only true in the other games that the hitboxes are smaller than they look.
From experience the bubble bullets are only solid in the black area and the big bullets of the first spellcard are a little bit smaller than they look like to be but yes EoSD bullets may be slighty bigger than those of the other games (though in my opinion not so much)

Well based on my practice remillia isnt the problem herself its the lack of rescources. I figured out that i need at least 3 lives maybe 2 to beat her i know most of her spells otherwise i just bomb mostly till her last spell. problem is most of my runs im entering the stage with no rescources even though i use 5 starting lives option

I suggest practicing Sakuya and Patchouli more as you have said Remillia is not so hard if you have resources
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:42:01 AM by R.P. »

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #759 on: August 24, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
Meanwhile, over on the other half of Stage 4, I'm not sure how to approach Fantasy Seal "Concentrate".
It's a streaming attack.  The bullets rush forward once, then aim at you.  For the first rush, either be far enough away that you don't have to move, or slide over a little.  For the slower second rush, move over as soon as the last set begins moving.  If you wind up against the wall, make a bigger second move and then wander in between the bullets back to center.  On Normal Mode, don't get so caught up in watching the aimed bullets that you get a white bullet in the face.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #760 on: August 24, 2016, 06:55:04 PM »
I didn't feel like making a new topic for this, because my question is quite simple, but how do i install the black label patch for Touhou 15?
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

« Reply #761 on: August 24, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »
I didn't feel like making a new topic for this, because my question is quite simple, but how do i install the black label patch for Touhou 15?
Isn't that a more Tech Support kind of thing ?

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #762 on: August 24, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
Isn't that a more Tech Support kind of thing ?

Like i said, I didn't want to make a new topic.
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #763 on: August 25, 2016, 08:10:28 AM »
This is the only thing I can find related to it.
You should ask Zig about this, he played Black Label recently.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:11:59 AM by Satorical Komeijist »

« Reply #764 on: September 12, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »
Ook. Like always, I keep coming and going from playing T?h?, and now I'm at it again :D

Months ago you helped me with Impossible Spell Card's 10-4, Remilia's Fitful Nightmare. And I already captured it (yaaay).

Now I'm a bit stuck with Yukari's 10-5. I'm getting better at waves 3 and 4 (the first one is easy), but the second one gives me nightmares. I know there are supposed to be some safespots somewhere, but I don't know exactly where. I seem to get past it when I place myself somewhere around the left corner, staying still until the wave passes. But I can't do it consistently. And without consistency, I'll never be able to beat it without items.

So, please help me Eirin!  :V   Where do I actually have to move to avoid the second wave?

Thanks a lot in advance  :)

« Reply #765 on: September 13, 2016, 01:42:44 AM »
I dont know if this is the right thread for this but what is a good game for a first time no bombs 1cc on normal mode. Preferably windows era. I tend to play better when i dont have bombs in stock so i thought id give this kind of thing a try.

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
« Reply #766 on: September 13, 2016, 03:12:11 AM »
Now I'm a bit stuck with Yukari's 10-5. I'm getting better at waves 3 and 4 (the first one is easy), but the second one gives me nightmares. I know there are supposed to be some safespots somewhere, but I don't know exactly where. I seem to get past it when I place myself somewhere around the left corner, staying still until the wave passes. But I can't do it consistently. And without consistency, I'll never be able to beat it without items.

So, please help me Eirin!  :V   Where do I actually have to move to avoid the second wave?

Oh, nice, going for a no-item run of 10-5? Unfortunately, I don't think there's a consistent way of getting through the second wave (not to my knowledge, at least; I'm pretty sure it's random).

What I'd do is align yourself with one of the waves (I use red), then sit still and pray that the blue wave doesn't hit you either. You can think of it as a safespot with a very low consistency rate, I suppose.

If you do intend on no-item-ing this run, you should aim to maximize damage during the first three waves (use the doll sub and stay below Yukari). You should be able to finish her off just before the killer wave ruins your day a second time.

Once you're familiar with the remaining waves, it's down to grinding for that perfect run where the second wave decides to be nice. Good luck.

Grrr.
---
YouTube

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #767 on: September 13, 2016, 05:09:05 AM »
I dont know if this is the right thread for this but what is a good game for a first time no bombs 1cc on normal mode. Preferably windows era. I tend to play better when i dont have bombs in stock so i thought id give this kind of thing a try.
MoF or SA, you get full power all the way and get plenty of room for error in both games too, lives wise.

« Reply #768 on: September 13, 2016, 06:49:29 AM »
What I'd do is align yourself with one of the waves (I use red), then sit still and pray that the blue wave doesn't hit you either. You can think of it as a safespot with a very low consistency rate, I suppose.

Oh yeah, I supposed it could be something like that... thanks!

If you do intend on no-item-ing this run, you should aim to maximize damage during the first three waves (use the doll sub and stay below Yukari). You should be able to finish her off just before the killer wave ruins your day a second time.

Thing is, I've already completed almost all of the game without even using sub-items. I use the Jiz? Substitute as my main, so I can practice till I don't get hit, and when I get hit I don't use the invincibility frames to go shoot Yukari, And even then, I always have time to deplete her health bar just when she's starting to form the second wave again  :D

Once you're familiar with the remaining waves, it's down to grinding for that perfect run where the second wave decides to be nice. Good luck.

Alrighty then! I'll focus on perfecting the remaining waves. Thanks a lot  :)

Well, I would personally go for PCB, IN or TD. Simply because I think they're by far the easiest games in the series. Yes, Ten Desires always keeps you low in lives (it's difficult to get extra lives as far as I recall) but it's an unbelievably easy game in my opinion.

« Reply #769 on: September 13, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
For TD im assuming that would include no trance correct? Hmmm That might be really fun! TD is probably one of if not my favorite games.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #770 on: September 13, 2016, 11:35:04 AM »
For TD im assuming that would include no trance correct? Hmmm That might be really fun! TD is probably one of if not my favorite games.
No trance included would be NBNT, not just NB.

« Reply #771 on: September 13, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »
No trance included would be NBNT, not just NB.

^This.

And trance doesn't make that much of a difference if you've not collected enought of "whatever-you-had-to-collect" (I don't remember).

I'm glad to see someone so excited at the prospect of facing new personal challenges  :3

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
« Reply #772 on: September 13, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »
Months ago you helped me with Impossible Spell Card's 10-4, Remilia's Fitful Nightmare. And I already captured it (yaaay).

Hang on, you've... no-itemed 10-4? Wow. That's, like, the only one I have left for a while now, so I'm not very motivated to grind on it.

Grrr.
---
YouTube

« Reply #773 on: September 13, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »
Yeah, but I made it without using the Doll sub, since I just couldn't damage her enough with it so as to finish her before the second round started. So I ended up using the Yin-Yang sub to focus more on her real hitbox, and I completed two rounds that way.

If you want, I can send you my replay and give you any advices I remember. It was only half a year ago that I did it.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #774 on: September 13, 2016, 07:27:33 PM »
Yeah, but I made it without using the Doll sub, since I just couldn't damage her enough with it so as to finish her before the second round started. So I ended up using the Yin-Yang sub to focus more on her real hitbox, and I completed two rounds that way.

If you want, I can send you my replay and give you any advices I remember. It was only half a year ago that I did it.
Hmm interesting. I want to see this replay because I didn't think that it was even possible without using the doll sub-item.

« Reply #775 on: September 15, 2016, 08:54:44 PM »
Yaaay! I completed Yukari's 10-5, thanks for the advice! At the end, I could tell when the second wave was avoidable by staying still. Knowing it was really luck-based and there was no perfect safespot did help a lot!  :D

Now only 5 more to end...

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
« Reply #776 on: September 16, 2016, 02:48:55 PM »
Yaaay! I completed Yukari's 10-5, thanks for the advice! At the end, I could tell when the second wave was avoidable by staying still. Knowing it was really luck-based and there was no perfect safespot did help a lot!  :D

Now only 5 more to end...

Well done.

The rest of the scenes shouldn't give you much trouble... 10-8 and 10-10 are a joke, 10-6 and 10-9 can be routed. 10-7 is grindy, but there's not much trick to it apart from getting the RNG to like you.

Grrr.
---
YouTube

« Reply #777 on: September 16, 2016, 08:18:47 PM »
I could do with some help on Sakuya's spellcards in EoSD. I can't help feeling these would get a lot easier if I could work out the tricks to them.

« Reply #778 on: September 16, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
I could do with some help on Sakuya's spellcards in EoSD. I can't help feeling these would get a lot easier if I could work out the tricks to them.
Same. Like for example lunar clock and marrionette.

« Reply #779 on: September 17, 2016, 04:35:53 PM »
So im trying to get another clear on lolk normal pointdevice with reisen. (last time i cleared with Sanae and just bombed anything i had a hard time with) Anyways how the heck do capture doremy's "Ultramarine Lunatic Dream"? Im 3 pieces away from max bombs but im trying to save them for clownpiece and junko.