Author Topic: A query of available artists  (Read 1315 times)

A query of available artists
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:05:02 PM »
Hello, some of you might know me from IRC as YamaOf<x>; I come here asking a question of available graphical artists.

I am currently writing a design document for a roguelike/rpg, and I'm at the point where I need to be selecting a graphical style. But therein is the problem. My experience in game design is in level design in the source engine, with some experience with the world editor Bethesda publishes for their games. Through that, I have some basic modeling skills, though nothing with the organic.

Going 3d will significantly increase the difficulty of procedural generation, but would allow me to contribute in that matter. I also am friends with a few talented modelers, but I hesitate to ask them to help (eventually) as only one has any idea of what Touhou is, and I would likely would have a lot of convincing to get any single one of them on board.

On the other hand, there's the traditional 2d pixel art option. Procedural generation is much more compatible with this, but I personally have no experience our aptitude for it; I am willing to learn through it, but it would leave the game with amateurish graphics, or just leave me to the contribution realm of creative design and level design of the non-generated zones of the game. That is something that I wish to avoid.

So, back to the main topic: I am querying what kind of artistic resources I have here. I am not ready to actually initiate any sort of development yet, but I am making headway on the design document, so I figure it is an okay time to ask about this. I do have a programmer on board in the form of one of my better friends, I suppose it is worthy of noting.

I'm willing to answer any questions people have, either here or on IRC.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
Re: A query of available artists
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
As someone who plays a lot of roguelikes / games with procedural generation, I've personally noticed that these games with 3-D graphics are fairly rare, ESPECIALLY with rougelikes, and they're usually high-budget games.

Baroque's about the most graphically-advanced roguelike I've seen, and that's a blegh realtime roguelike. That was a console game.

If you're on your own making a game or have a small team making a doujin game, take my advice and make it 2-D if it's a roguelike you're up to, otherwise you're setting yourself up for a fuxload of hard work.

There's a reason all the popular roguelikes / procedurally generated games (Dungeon Crawl, Nethack, Dwarf Fortress, FTL, Dredmor, this list can go on forever) aren't graphically intensive, after all.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia