Author Topic: Which Touhou game is the easiest to memorize?  (Read 9922 times)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Which Touhou game is the easiest to memorize?
« on: August 15, 2009, 08:13:13 PM »
So I just got UFO (then again, who hasn't?), and I was wondering how hard it would be to memorize it, or any Touhou game. I'd like to practice UFO until I beat it, then beat it again on one life, and maybe without any bombs. Suggestions?

EDIT: Another problem I have with playing these games, is that my body's heart rate goes up and I get all excited. This doesn't happen to me normally when I play any other games, what's up with that?

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Re: Which Touhou game is the easiest to memorize?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »
EoSD is easiest as far as you can memorize it :P

I'm assuming you're referring to score runs here, in which case I'm going to say
MoF's Faith maintenance > IN's coordinated focus/unfocusing > SA's ubergrazing > UFO's UFO chaining > > PCB's border maintenance

EDIT response:  Several possibilities:
*Fear of failure (more likely here than in other games; it usually involves blinking or getting distracted or the general unforgiving nature of the game)
*Awesome music/graphics/flavor that help serve just that purpose
*The newness of the game -> fear of the relatively unknown
*Psyching yourself out
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:19:33 PM by u? »

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »
So I just got UFO (then again, who hasn't?)

Me.

and I was wondering how hard it would be to memorize it, or any Touhou game. I'd like to practice UFO until I beat it, then beat it again on one life, and maybe without any bombs. Suggestions?

Are you a machine? I doubt those last two challanges would be possible unless you are one.

Another problem I have with playing these games, is that my body's heart rate goes up and I get all excited. This doesn't happen to me normally when I play any other games, what's up with that?

Oh you aren't a Machine... This kinda happens to me except I hold my breath often. So I can't give advice.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 08:27:32 PM »
EoSD is easiest as far as you can memorize it :P

I'm assuming you're referring to score runs here, in which case I'm going to say
MoF's Faith maintenance > IN's coordinated focus/unfocusing > SA's ubergrazing > UFO's UFO chaining > > PCB's border maintenance

EDIT response:  Several possibilities:
*Fear of failure (more likely here than in other games; it usually involves blinking or getting distracted or the general unforgiving nature of the game)
*Awesome music/graphics/flavor that help serve just that purpose
*The newness of the game -> fear of the relatively unknown
*Psyching yourself out
-I hate EoSD T~T

-I'm not going for score here, by the time anyone outside of Japan gets a high score, Japan will have surpassed and utterly crushed anyone else's attempts.

-It's not just UFO, it happens with pretty much every Touhou SHMUP. But I'd have to say it's over stimulation from all of those bullets.

@Rikter: No bomb/death runs are possible...Just really hard. Look at Ketsui, to get to the second loop you can't die or use bombs AT ALL. It doesn't take a machine, just really keen senses and hand-eye coordination, which seems to come naturally for most games I play yet eludes me for Touhou. Lol. For all I know I could be a cyborg

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 08:32:09 PM »
No bombs/deaths on which difficulty?
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »
Right now I'm focusing on UFO Normal. I'm messing around with the characters, but SanaeB is my favorite so far.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:52:40 PM »
SA's supergrazing is much easier than what most people think; however it is character dependent. Then you have to survive bosses like Orin without dying a lot and / or bomb spamming.

MoF's Faith system is ridiculously difficult to control, particularly on Stage 4. In addition to near perfect timing, you also need to pull 100% deathbomb rate (which I still fail sometimes, even if it's a scoring bomb and I know I'm going to bomb). You also need to moderate bomb usage on the stages, or you'll end up suffering from cumulative error. The only Spell Cards you're allowed to bomb away without destroying your score by a "major" amount are:

"Kappa"MoF S3 SC4 series, "Illusionary Dominanace" / "Peerless Wind God"MoF S4 SC3 or "Cork"MoF S4 SC4 series, "Preparation"MoF S5 SC4 or "Miracle"MoF S5 SC5 series, "Sacrifice" / "Mystery"MoF S6 SC3 series (to some degree; you're losing out on about 30-40mil total if you do bomb this on a good run), and "MoF" / "VoWG"MoF S6 SC5.

You bomb the "Bad Luck"MoF S2 SC1 series for score.

IN's time point system is probably the easiest; basically going through without dying / deathbombing without destroying a ridiculous amount of familiars on the stages seems to give you enough time points. Bosses are a problem though.

Finally, UFO. I guess if you time it right, then there should be no problem. Though, that's saying from only playing the Trial  :V

If you're just going for a clear, then I'll say MoF. Scoring; IN.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »
Okay, question: Do you have to play on Normal or higher and 1CC the game to unlock Extra in UFO?

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
Okay, question: Do you have to play on Normal or higher and 1CC the game to unlock Extra in UFO?
Yup. :V
Let's fight.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:08:27 PM »
Hisss...Well, might as well try to play UFO again. Can't be that hard, right?

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 05:19:19 AM »
Imperishable Night

Shoot the Bullet if you can count that
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
IN is quite a dick to memorize on Lunatic (fuck you Keine), as far as stage layout goes I had most ease in MoF due to bomb abuse capability, you'll very rarely lose lives on stages once you get things down. As for bosses, generally they don't involve memorization due to random patterns (with the exception of some Keine cards) and even then MoF is quite lenient with that (Tap right on Hina noncards, go a bit left/right of Aya for her second noncard, go exactly one bubble left for first phrase of Kanako's last noncard and so forth)

Maybe it's because MoF is the game I know best, though. But MoF is still one of the easiest games in the series with a complete joke of a final card on Normal, so you may be able to handle it with one life.