Author Topic: Danmaku!! Let me AX you a question  (Read 246955 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Danmaku!! RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 06:51:17 AM »
You can already download a free print and play version of Danmaku!! at our website.
:D

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »
I may have miss worded what I said, I have no idea what to print this on.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 06:59:44 AM »
Awesome! How would you suggest one start playing this? Print them off on normal paper or something? I;d like to try it with a group of people to see how we like it.

We recommend making what are called proxy cards.  These are used in games like Magic: The Gathering to test deck ideas.

What you do is print out all the cards on paper, then slide them into a card sleeve with a real playing card to provide support and weight.  It's best if you use different colors of card sleeves.

I made a (blurry)picture:

This is a picture of one of the alpha decks I have lying around, complete with art we don't own and only a single color for card borders.  You can see the paper proxy on top, a playing card, and then the colored card sleeve.

If you go with the double sized character cards we find that they're OK as is since they don't get a lot of shuffling, but you may want them to be firmer so we have the option of printing normal sized ones.

We're working on more proper tutorial on how to do this, but it's not done yet.   :blush:

You can get colored card sleeves at your friendly local gaming shop or at Walmart.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:01:29 AM by Moogs Parfait »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 07:04:42 AM »
Oh now that makes a bit more sense, thank you. I kept getting just magic tuts on proxies and not how to actually make a card for normal use. Think a all clear sleeve could work and print both the front and the back?

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 07:11:52 AM »
Regular paper is really thin and you'd likely be able to see what a card is if any light shines on it.  If you take them to a print shop they might have some heavier paper that won't show through.

The PnP documents don't have card backs.  I'll discuss it with the others, maybe we can offer a download option with card backs that masks what the front of the card is but doesn't cost a fortune in ink.

Edit: I must go to sleep since I have to be up in 4.5 hours.  I'll answer any more questions then.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:24:04 AM by Moogs Parfait »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 10:42:50 AM »
Wow that is an excellent tip for self-made card games. I never thought of using regular deck of cards and the protective sleeves which is indeed used for Magic and such.

I am extremely intrigued by your methods Moogs. I remember when I was a child, I printed my own "Pokemon" cards but just glued them on a real pokemon card :V

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »
If any of you are considering buying playing cards to make proxies please be aware that prices on playing cards can vary wildly.  Prices for a single 52 card deck range from $0.80 to $4.50 USD and you will need three decks worth of cards.

I did some shopping for you

Actual Poker Cards $1.60/pack
Aviator looks like the best bet without looking like it's coming from a sketchy seller.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/aviator-playing-cards-poker/1151014271.html?utm_source=Amazon

Premium Blank Cards $1.50/pack
You can buy the actual materials games are made of here
http://www.printplaygames.com/product/blank-cards

Third Option: Bulk Magic Commons
Go to a gaming shop and ask if they have a free common box.

Edit: My partner called me to correct me that lands are not the cheapest.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:23:15 AM by Moogs Parfait »

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 03:04:14 AM »
I am extremely intrigued by your methods Moogs. I remember when I was a child, I printed my own "Pokemon" cards but just glued them on a real pokemon card :V

Did you have questions?  I'll answer ones I can, I'm often surprised by what people ask so it's hard to just tell them before they ask.

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 03:12:51 AM »
Curses! Idea #5069123 I thought was original, but someone beat me to.

All exaggeration aside, this is really well done, and I would be more than happy to play it, and I even hate card games. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
A beautiful soulgrudge this cosmic was surely authored by the constellations.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 03:40:11 AM »
Curses! Idea #5069123 I thought was original, but someone beat me to.

All exaggeration aside, this is really well done, and I would be more than happy to play it, and I even hate card games. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

That's an endorsement I'll take!

Man.  Ideas.  As far as ideas go, I've noticed that in general you have about 5 years from the time you have the idea to implement it because of Multiple Discovery.  People already in the industry will already be thinking the same thing or possibly have started thinking it years ago.  Then you're in a race against time to get a good implementation done.  Even if you're behind you can still do it better though.  Of course you really could be a special snowflake but that comes with other problems.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
This will be a dumb question and I could look it up but I just want to be sure for your card sizes, what size are they exactly? I'm looking at the Blank cards and I see a 2.5" by 1.75" and a 2.5" by 3.5".

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2014, 05:50:31 AM »
The latter, standard poker size 2.5" by 3.5"

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 05:55:53 AM »
Thank you very much, again sorry about asking so much, I'd like it to be as authentic as possible. Do you already have backs designed or was that for later in the project?

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 06:02:04 AM »
Questions aren't a problem.  :)

The card backs are something that will be completed later. 

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 07:56:32 AM »
Did you have questions?
None, just following this development.

This will be a dumb question...
Dumb questions don't exist, imo.

Thank you very much, again sorry about asking so much, I'd like it to be as authentic as possible. Do you already have backs designed or was that for later in the project?
Pretty sure that is the purpose of a forum and a thread, communication :V The publicity is well worth and questions are a part of it to be honest.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 01:17:45 AM »
Oh hey, guess what has been posted.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:29:38 AM by Moogs Parfait »

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 01:57:08 AM »
I've been watching this from afar and have really high hopes. Maybe I can end up getting my friends into playing this, too v:

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2014, 02:07:22 AM »
I've been watching this from afar and have really high hopes. Maybe I can end up getting my friends into playing this, too v:

In general we've discovered that the average nerd enjoys the game, and the average anime nerd really enjoys it.  It's a pretty good gateway drug to Touhou too.   :D  The artists and people we've playtested with have started getting into it.

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 03:45:33 AM »
How much total you invested in artist commission for this?

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 03:48:53 AM »
How much total you invested in artist commission for this?

I'm afraid that one is secret for now.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2014, 05:29:15 AM »
Reimu Livestream Thursday!

LS Link: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/1043104/events/2832196

Site Post: http://danmaku.mysteryparfait.com/reimu-livestream/

This caught me off guard too, but fans seem to really like the live streams and that's when Gina is working.

Edit: Gina had to move the stream to Thursday
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:36:41 PM by Moogs Parfait »

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »
I tried out Danmaku!! with my friend group last night (even though we all needed to study) and even my roommate who isn't into anime and Touhou at all thought it was pretty fun.

We ended up using quarters to keep track of our lives because when you die in Touhou, you have to feed credits to continue.  :3

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »
Awesome! Do you mind telling me about your game? How many players did you have? Which characters came up and which incidents?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
We had a total of five players, but only one other person initially understood the rules because of the similarities to Bang! Marisa was the Ex Boss (which is pretty appropriate for Master Spark not caring who gets hurt, as long as the Heroine is alive still), Meiling was the Heroine, Reisen was the Partner, while myself (Futo) and Miko were stage bosses.

Meiling was pretty happy to draw the Grimoire first turn, in addition to pulling UNDEFINED FANTASTIC OBJECT APPEAR! as the first incident so the first few draws were a bit filled with beer and power.
Then Reisen got a Mini-Hakkero and I was basically "well the bosses are doomed"
Marisa got a Supernatural Border, then the next incident played was Worldly Desires. :V

Two Kourindous appeared relatively close to each other, so Marisa picked up a stopwatch, Miko got a Last Word, I got a bomb, Meiling got a Master Plan (!!!) and totally sent Lily White straight to the bottom of the deck. :V
Eternal Night came up and Miko went on a full on shooting spree between Shoot!!ing, replacing the rest of her hand via spellcard, pulling a Sorcerer's Sutra, Shoot!!ing some more and basically gibbing the Heroine.

It seems like we forgot that we can play Graze! on behalf of other people, in addition to defensive bombs being a thing so we'll go for it again sometime around.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2014, 12:38:11 AM »
Fast Fantatic, that's a really great story, I love hearing them!  Thanks for sharing.  I've posted it to reddit and will probably post it elsewhere too.

Also, the live stream is up for those of you who are subscribed to this thread.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2014, 12:59:43 AM »
Just in time for me to chill after a night shift.

A link for the stream in the OP would be nice too.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2014, 01:13:14 AM »
Done. Also CLICK HERE FOR STREAM

Edit: Stream is done but Gina is goofing around taking requests
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:30:30 AM by Moogs Parfait »

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2014, 03:08:48 AM »
Livestream ovar. Recording is here:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/1043104/events/2832196/videos/45082757

We also got over 100 likes on our FB page finally.  The excitement has left me exhausted.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:42 AM »
This looks pretty fancy. I've never played Bang!, but I know people like it. I might have to proxy up a set in time for convention season.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2014, 05:15:40 AM »
I rarely post on the forums but this has my interest in a stranglehold.
With luck, I'll proxy up a deck and meet up with friends tomorrow. This project is exciting and I can't wait for a full version to be done!

Questions:
Do we have an estimated time for completion?
How much will it cost to buy a full game?
Same questions for any expansions.