Author Topic: The 10th Touhou Series Popularity Contest: results are out  (Read 59263 times)

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
Re: The 10th Touhou Series Popularity Contest: Voting Started!
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2014, 11:13:13 AM »
All you need to know about my votes was that I strategically voted to crush Septette a little bit.

*blatantly trying to guess* Did you vote for the songs that were directly below Septette in the last contest?  :V

*blatantly trying to tease* Do you know it's useless since Septette will never be dethroned?  :D

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49:22 AM »
I wish people would pick newer songs than UN Owen and Septette....

Also I found too much difficulty voting for characters, so I opt for music instead. Here's my choice:

Futatsuiwa from Gensokyo (HM) - Serious, lively, fun
The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Saw (MoF) - Perfect atmosphere, great twist
Bamboo Forest of the Full Moon (DDC) - Great atmosphere, amazing blend-in of the rift
Primordial Beat ~ Pristine Beat (DDC) - DRUMS
Phantasm Machine ~ Phantom Factory (CoSD) - You can totally picture a factory with this song, and the remix really makes a difference
Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind (UFO) - Old classic, but the instruments are just perfect match
Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream (PoDD) - It's sad, but really catchy tunes

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2014, 11:56:57 AM »
I wish people would pick newer songs than UN Owen and Septette....

While i understand the feeling (since i would love to see Reimu NOT first) i also understand that just because new songs comes out, doesn't mean they are considered better than the old ones....

it seems that even newer players, which first experience would be modern touhou games, find Septette and U.N. Owen appealing.....

Example: i love many modern songs but i still think Hotel California is one of the best pieces of music ever composed, and i would put it ABOVE the modern ones i like.... and when that song came out i wasn't even BORN....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:58:43 AM by Espadas »

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
While i understand the feeling (since i would love to see Reimu NOT first) i also understand that just because new songs comes out, doesn't mean they are considered better than the old ones....

it seems that even newer players, which first experience would be modern touhou games, find Septette and U.N. Owen appealing.....

Example: i love many modern songs but i still think Hotel California is one of the best pieces of music ever composed, and i would put it ABOVE the modern ones i like.... and when that song came out i wasn't even BORN....
I like the song Hotel California too. It's an amazing song.
I understand that many people start with EoSD or get introduced to Touhou by the two songs, so they like the songs. It's just that I wish to see many other songs more well-deserved merit too.

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »
1. Alice Margatroid
2. Mima
3. Yukari Yakumo
4. Cirno
5. Byakuren hijiri
(a damn hard choice between Byakuren and Nitori but, to celebrate the life of Nelson Mandella, I voted for a hero. That being said, I still like Nitori - she's a good friend)

Join me and we shall end Reimu's reign of terror! Vote for Alice Margatroid and we shall have a new leader!

In all seriousness, please do.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
One of the reasons I vote for Septette is to make it harder for U.N. Owen to get #1. That and Septette is a truly amazing song.

gotta love music arguments, can't people just accept that Septette & Reimu will never lose

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2014, 07:07:14 PM »
I'm excited to vote in the popularity contest for the first time, but I don't understand how it's possible to narrow it down so much when there are just so many amazing characters and music~

To be fair, characters shouldn't be too hard, but I'm going to need to do some intensive thinking for the music voting. Little Princess will be included though. No questions asked.

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »
characters:
- Mima
- Yuuka
- Shinki
- Kanako
- Byakuren
(honorable mentions: Yorihime, Kagerou)

music:
- 妖精大戦争 ~ Fairy Wars / Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
- 神さびた古戦場 ~ Suwa Foughten Field / The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
- 感情の摩天楼 ~ Cosmic Mind / Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
- Eternal Dream ~ 幽玄の槭樹 / Eternal Dream ~ Mystical Maple
- エクステンドアッシュ ~ 蓬莱人 / Extend Ash ~ Person of Hourai
- ネメシスの要塞 / Nemesis' Stronghold
- Dream Land

honorable mentions:
- 御柱の墓場 ~ Grave of Being / Cemetery of Onbashira ~ Grave of Being
- ティアオイエツォン(withered leaf) / Diao Ye Zong (withered leaf)
- 天空の花の都 / The Capital City of Flowers in the Sky
- ネクロファンタジア / Necrofantasia
- プレインエイジア / Plain Asia
- 月まで届け、不死の煙 / Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke
- 夢消失 ~ Lost Dream / Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream
- レトロスペクティブ京都 / Retrospective Kyoto
- 無間の鐘 ~ Infinite Nightmare / Bell of Avici ~ Infinite Nightmare
and a number of the musics that aren't in the games. While I do recommend said musics, I preferred to vote for the musics found in the games because I can remember the stages/boss battles/endings as I listen to them, and I particularly liked those I've listed above.

questionnaire:
- haven't 1cc'd any of the listed games outside of normal, some I haven't even cleared/installed (1ccing without trying to score isn't fun for me, and trying to score well in these games isn't fun either D: )
- over 55 scenes in DS (57 actually), Hatate not unlocked (stopped playing at scene 9-3, at that time I gave up trying to get all of the explosions in all of the 5 shots)
- known the series before MoF's release (I've put "before august 2007", but not sure actually)
- don't own any printed works
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2014, 09:06:10 AM »
1. Reimu, because I don't have a 'favourite'
And in no particular order:
- Aya
- Sikieiki
- Yuka
- Utsuho

And in no particular order again:
- U.N Owen was Her?
- Fate of 60 Years
- Heian Alien
- Satori Maiden - 3rd Eye
- Walking the Streets of a Former Hell
- Suwa Foughten Field
- Maiden's Capriccio - Dream Battle

Yay, first time voting.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
All you need to know about my votes was that I strategically voted to crush Septette a little bit.
So much hate for Septette. Why don't you already just  :dealwithit:

Obviously some day Septette will be surpassed and then all the anti-fanboys/girls will go berserk

Sahgren

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »
Characters:
-Hinanawi Tenshi (+2)
-Houraisan Kaguya
-Yakumo Ran
-Shameimaru Aya
-Alice Margatroid

Music
-Septette for the Dead Princess (Long live the king!)
-Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain
-Locked Girl ~ The Secret Girl's Room
-Corpse Voyage ~ Be of Good Cheer!
-Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye
-Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
-Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2014, 04:53:42 PM »
Voted in this the other day:

Characters (in descending order)

1. Gengetsu
2. Yukari
3. Reimu
4. Youmu
5. Kurumi

Music (in less particular order)

1. The Gensokyo the Gods Loved
2. Broken Moon
3. Little Princess
4. Eternal Shrine Maiden
5. Crescent Dream
6. Infinite Nightmare
7. The Strange Everyday Life of the Flying Shrine Maiden (because otherwise nobody will ever vote for it)
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

StainGlass

• Not the only one
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »
7. The Strange Everyday Life of the Flying Shrine Maiden (because otherwise nobody will ever vote for it)

If I had a few more votes I would :)

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2014, 07:21:16 AM »
May as well post here along with others.

Yukari (2 points)
Reimu
Mokou
Sakuya
Marisa

I'm undecided on 7 songs to pick so I'll figure that out later.
Quoting in-case anyone wants to know this part since now I've decided on 7 songs.

In no particular order (except the first being my favorite) because I don't know how I would rank my favorites yet:

Necrofantasia
Septette for the Dead Princess
Bloom Nobly, Ink-Black Cherry Blossom ~ Border of Life
Demystify Feast
Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke
Inchlings of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess
Love-Colored Master Spark
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
So the voting ended 13 minutes and 32 seconds ago. How long does it typically take for the results to be published?

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
Again, the results came out half an hour after the voting ended. I've gotta sleep now, may Futatsuiwa Daimyoujin's blessings be upon people who do the translation!

Mirror, in case the THWiki.info main site is busted:
Character: http://thwiki.web.fc2.com/vote10/result_char.html
Music: http://thwiki.web.fc2.com/vote10/result_music.html
Questionnaire: http://thwiki.web.fc2.com/vote10/result_anq.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:22:30 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
Re: The 10th Touhou Series Popularity Contest: results are out
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
Oh wow. I am so happy with these results.

Like, I was convinced Marisa's rank would go down.

And now everyone can see my questionable Japanese in the comments hahaha. (Especially in Alice Maestra's. Everyone else is all 'this song made me cry' and making intelligent comments about the music and I'm like IT'S THE ULTIMATE REIMARI THEME DA ZE like an idiot lol)

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
Reimu's 1st again, but over 2k votes less than in the last poll is weird. Hopefully that's not Kancolle's fault ?_?‎.
Sanae is 11, fair enough. Top 20 is so-so, but I like where Alice and Youmu are placed. Tenshi, Yuyuko, Kokoro, Byakuren, Kogasa, Suwako and Reisen scored pretty good as well, so I find the poll mostly positve. Too bad SDM, Yuuka and Aya went so high. Congrats for Kokoro and Koishi for going so high, even though HM itself is relatively ignored.

Musical themes are unfortunately dominated by Septette and Owen again, but the places of Necrofantasia and Faith is for The Transient People are enough for me to stomach it.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »
The result that matters the most, the arrival of a new fan favorite Touhou song:

Little People of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess debuted at #7.

Reimu's 1st again, but over 2k votes less than in the last poll is weird. Hopefully that's not Kancolle's fault ?_?‎.
Sanae is 11, fair enough. Top 20 is so-so, but I like where Alice and Youmu are placed. Tenshi, Yuyuko, Kokoro, Byakuren, Kogasa, Suwako and Reisen scored pretty good as well, so I find the poll mostly positve. Too bad SDM, Yuuka and Aya went so high. Congrats for Kokoro and Koishi for going so high, even though HM itself is relatively ignored.

Musical themes are unfortunately dominated by Septette and Owen again, but the places of Necrofantasia and Faith is for The Transient People are enough for me to stomach it.
Part of the reason the votes have decreased so drastically might be that the organizers have announced the poll way too late, without enough time to build hype.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2014, 04:42:03 PM »
Everytime U.N. Owen gets closer to 1st place I die a little inside

I really like the results! Suika, Yuuka and Byakuren got somewhat good places and Reimu is still steady. I like Koishi getting a high place too, even if it was expected.
Overall, worth checking just to see Sukuna's theme get to a worthy place  :toot:
Strawberry Crisis!! got a whooping place of #97 and Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly seems to be at #59 currently, pretty good placement overall.
Eternal Shrine Maiden is forgotten though...

I will never see why the fandom adores Momiji so much to raise her place among the top 20. Is it because she's cute or what?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:51:27 PM by Darkness1 »

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2014, 05:36:51 PM »
Well, didn't know new games can have such huge impact on the polls.  :o
A little sad that Pache rank dropped by 1, at least it's still in the top 20 (hope that she'll reach top 10 someday).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:52:50 PM by ditt93 »

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »
Mamizou moved up less than I expected (from her appearances in HM and FS). Other than that pretty standard results.

Something to keep in mind is that on average every single character moves down proportional to the number of new characters introduced that year. That's just math. A character whose actual popularity holds steady will appear to trend down. In Patchouli's case, she's high enough on the list that she was only pushed down by Kokoro.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:20:20 PM by Clarste »

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
I'm not surprised that Little Princess made it up that high. That song is really good and I often find myself playing it in my head most days of the week.

From how I'm understanding the bad Google translation, looks like Yukari is actually going down one rank at a time. ;_;
And Necrofantasia is pretty high up there, sweetness.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »
In Patchouli's case, she's high enough on the list that she was only pushed down by Kokoro.

I did expect Kokoro to be the most popular out of all the new characters, but I didn't expect any of them to reach top 20. :V

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »
I will never see why the fandom adores Momiji so much to raise her place among the top 20. Is it because she's cute or what?

Momiji is 21 this time, isn't she? And she wasn't top 20 last year or the year before that either. Although I guess she's steadily climbing.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2014, 08:45:06 PM »
I sense a happy Gpop :V

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Sahgren

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2014, 09:48:41 PM »
I'm happy to see both Tenshi and Kaguya go up, even if only by a little.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »
I sense a happy Gpop :V
Fuck, I'm too easy to find :V

But seriously, the fact that Koishi remains top 3 is actually surprising to myself. I thought the 2nd place finish from last year was a fluke from her appearance in HM and that it'd die down later, but I guess it's more than just that now.

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
Yay for Byakuren getting back into the top 20! But too bad Yukari go down a rank. Damn it, Kokoro!
I guess HM still have so much impact for those two. Meanwhile, the Taoists...

Also too bad that Cosmic Mind goes down a rank, but it's still very high at 4th place.
Is Sukuna's theme that good? I've only played until Kagerou.

And LOL, the one who has the honor to be the meat in the Aki sandwich this year is Rinnosuke.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »
The 77th place of the title screen theme of DDC is quite impressive. Of course, it is an amazing track.

Sad to see Futo drop in popularity like that.